• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Episode 03

Yeah, duckroll is right - the animation quality took a big hit this episode but I'm glad they're getting the training stuff out of the way early on rather than doubling back to it later. I'm just hoping by episode 5 they start getting into the real action.

Jex

Episode 3

Cheap, cheap, cheap episode. I guess we all kinda expected this to happen sooner or later. It's an outsourced episode, some parts look rather dodgy, and it has a TON of stills in it, even during scenes which are generally supposed to be animated. Pretty hilarious. At least they picked a slow training episode to go cheap. Not a lot happens here, but they're definitely expanding more on character development compared to the manga. It's going to pay dividends later on when stuff actually happens. There's a vocal BGM towards the end of the episode which is fucking hilarious though. Totally didn't expect that. :p
But...but...there were already a tone of stills!

Oh well, as long as they're choosing to cheap out on an action-lite episode.

Arksy

IIRC it is stated in the manga
that there was some protest, but literally no other option for dealing with the famine and the genocide that was covered up as an attempt to win back the wall.

At least it was touched in the manga, but...They're lacking food, if only there was a method for....creating more food, that would be lovely.
Huge logic gaps here, it was what? A year before reclamation? No mention of people starving by the thousands. There was a food shortage because 250k people rocked up to a different canton, surely they would've readjusted their supply chain in a few weeks. No depths of depravity in a starvation filled epoch. No cannibalism or anything. Simply the central government, to very little protest, effectively sending starving refugees, you know, WITHOUT the benefit military support. Yet no one asks why the military didn't go in with them in a military campaign.

Incredibly lazy and narrow sighted writing. Very little mention of any consequences. I'm still enjoying the series but this is just ridiculous.

By the gods, C***ie subs are horrible. Eoten instead of Titan lmao.

Attack on Eoten (lol) - Episode 3

The episode was worth it just for Potato girl <3

Articalys

So is Sasha going to remain a fountain of comedy, at least during scenes where people aren't being brutally killed by titans?

At least it was touched in the manga, but...
They're lacking food, if only there was a method for....creating more food, that would be lovely.

Incredibly lazy and narrow sighted writing. Very little mention of any consequences. I'm still enjoying the series but this is just ridiculous.

You say that sarcastically but
you do realize the "method for creating more food" is agriculture which requires a fuckton of land right?

And yes it was lazy. The guy was not an experienced manga writer apparently. And that isn't even the focus of the show.

To be frank, the show is categorized as Shounen. It is aimed at a young male audience. You're expecting too much out of a kids show.

fertygo

Its not simply its just "shounen" but more like its equivalent of The Walking Dead in west.

The mangaka just not planning making comic about hungry people politic.

dramatis

Its not simply its just "shounen" but more like its equivalent of The Walking Dead in west.

The mangaka just not planning making comic about hungry people politic.
It is published in a shounen magazine. It is not the equivalent of Walking Dead.

dramatis

Of course I'm not talking about the publishing demographic.
But the demographics of a shounen magazine's audience are shounen.

I understand you want to say the appeal of Shingeki is more than shounen, but its intended audience is shounen. It is a shounen manga. Anybody outside the intended audience that gets engaged is due to the material itself, not because it is written to appeal to a different demographic.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
watched the first episode thanks to this thread but i couldn't stand eren. also, everything feels waaaay too anime trope-ish.

eren is a snarky brat who thinks everyone else is a coward because they don't have plot armor.

mugwhump

Episode 3
Quite good. The only stills I really noticed were the ones with the bread scene, everything else seemed fine. Potato's scenes were fantastic, Kobayashi Yuu was a great pick. Jean's scene was also hilarious.

eren is a snarky brat who thinks everyone else is a coward because they don't have plot armor.

If you think Eren has plot-armor you're mistaken.

If you think Eren has plot-armor you're mistaken.

Eh. Every protagonist has plot armor. Unless they kill of Eren he'll always escape any fatal blow by some magical plot device revealed at the last second or some other deus ex machina.

Unless of course they kill him off, but that'd be manga spoilers so don't confirm is that does or does not happen.

watched the first episode thanks to this thread but i couldn't stand eren. also, everything feels waaaay too anime trope-ish.

Eren is supposed to be a brat.

But yeah it is going to be a tropish. Not too many ways you can do shounen. At least it doesn't have some obnoxious tsundere female lead.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 3

iHXv4jyuENCic.jpg
ibuivSNwxbw6DV.jpg

Yeah this was definitely a very low budget episode. Still, the backgrounds remain of high quality, and there were a couple very nice shots such as the scene overlooking the lake. And it was worth it all for the potatoes.
The last page of that scene in the manga is still funnier, but the part where he first notices her, and her tortured attempts to understand his question, were hilarious.
The sound effects really added a lot there, LOL. If there's one thing that has remained consistent it's the absolutely great sound design; it was also used really effectively during the scene where Berthold talks about his past. Turns out hiring an industry veteran like Masafumi Mima pays off.

This episode was very faithful to the manga, with a few added flourishes like
the trip to the lake.
Even with very little animation, it's still effective stuff, and Eren's frustration was palpable.

Based on the previews, next episode is
more training, including Annie.
It's also going to be another low-budget episode, LOL.

episode 3

Still good. Not the kind of episode that needed a budget, so whatever to that, though the series of stills at one point was pretty jarring.

Gotta say, knowing recent events in the manga really makes going through the story again from the beginning interesting. I'm wondering if they added more foreshadowing or if it's always been there. Too lazy to go back and check.

Soriku

Berserk spoilers:

That is Ganishka, ruler of the Kushan Empire and a rogue Apostle of the God Hand.

He looks like this on his human form:

But when he gets angry you can see that's there is something unnatural about him:

He was probably the oldest and most powerful Apostle, but he defied the God Hand, and quickly realized how weak he was compared to then.

He turned into that thing (a mindless beast of the apocalypse) when desperate to achieve ultimate power he got inside a demonic machine his sorcerers made that was meant to turn regular human babies still in their mothers womb into artificial, weaker Apostles for his demon army.

Guts killed hundreds of titan sized monsters that formed out of the Beast of the Apocalypse body.

When he was finally defeated in a joint effort by Griffith, Guts, Zod and an unintended help from SkullKnight, his death destroyed the barrier between the real and the fantasy world bringing forth the Age of Fantasia.

Awesome. I need to start watching the Berserk movies already.

As for this episode, I thought it was really good. I don't really have an eye for "low budget" episodes so I don't mind, especially since the whole episode was just talking anyway.

Also, I really don't mind Eren at all, and I understand his struggle. I thought it was interesting that he's the one who wanted to kill the Titans the most, but couldn't get his Gear to work :p But then the whole
"it was broken"
thing...I thought that was awesome.

Potato girl was sooooooo random, haha. I hope she doesn't get killed off early or something :x

Defuser

Episode 3

I can see why they pick Yu Kobayashi as Potato girl. She damn excellent at being goofy which is what Yu Kobayashi is good at.

If only Eren and gang got this guy as their instructor.

Dresden

Hah, episode three was fun stuff. The song at the end killed me, when it kicked in and you saw the instructor riding his horse.

Jex

[Attack on Titan] - 3

This episode had a number of surprisingly light-hearted and endearing moments. I find this pretty worrying because that only means that something is going to have to come and stomp all over our heroe's happiness to drag the mood down again because that's the kind of story this is.

sol_bad

I'm really enjoying this show, thanks for informing me about it GAF.

Have there been any other anime TV shows that have been really good and worth watching over the past 5 or 6 years?
Is there a thread that talks about recent anime shows?

The last time I was really into anime was a long time ago back when Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop came out. I have and am planning to watching Death Note and Monster too.

Kurita

I'm really enjoying this show, thanks for informing me about it GAF.

Have there been any other anime TV shows that have been really good and worth watching over the past 5 or 6 years?
Is there a thread that talks about recent anime shows?

The last time I was really into anime was a long time ago back when Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop came out. I have and am planning to watching Death Note and Monster too.
You can ask here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529884

Hindle

Banned
That's a sizeable number. The premise isn't something that lends itself to loads of Eps, especially filler content. I'd rather they make a really focussed story that leaves me wanting more then drag it on IMO.

There was this one scene in ep.3 where Eren and Armin talked to Bertold and Reiner and I just felt there was something off with Armin's face.lol Btw I must have missed it but did they ever mention the name of the blonde chick and the other one that helped Sasha? Also while watching the scene with Mikasa and Sasha left me wondering if they actually just lifted it from the manga since it was just stills.lol

Kurita

There was this one scene in ep.3 where Eren and Armin talked to Bertold and Reiner and I just felt there was something off with Armin's face.lol Btw I must have missed it but did they ever mention the name of the blonde chick and the other one that helped Sasha? Also while watching the scene with Mikasa and Sasha left me wondering if they actually just lifted it from the manga since it was just stills.lol

Nope

RangerBAD

Her name is Christa.

Right is but better. They are not supposed to look like top-models.

Don't know about the other two, but Mikasa is supposed to be 12 at this point in the story. Also, the age to enter the military or start working in the landfills is 12.

Episode - 3

Loved the episode since I love comedy anime's. The ending truly blew me away because even I wasn't expecting that to have happened. Potato girl is the best and is now my favorite character. I'm scared to know her fate because she's a comic relief and usually in horror's they don't last. Don't worry this isn't a spoiler because I've never even seen the manga. It's just that since she's a comic relief its to be expected in a horror genre for the comic relief to leave.

Dresden

It's weird because it's not like all the girls got lip-gloss--Sasha was spared, for example. I hope it goes away after this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom