• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally hate it when they do manga to anime when the series isnt even finished yet. As shit usually starts going south once they pass the point of where the last issue of the manga is at.

I think in those cases, they bank too heavily on there being a good place to stop the story. Something that can at least be viewed as a semi-conclusion. They tried that shit with Claymore and it didn't pan out well at all.

But Claymore is also an awesome series. I don't know why they never continued on with the anime.

TheLight

Agreed. The quality of the anime recently is dropping

Watch first 3 episodes then watch last 2 and you will get what I mean

Nope. Still don't. It was a transition episode but the quality has been surprisingly steady lately. The first three were more of the "preparing for take off" for the series.

A Bleach cross over would be intense. Attack on Hollows? lol

Ichigo -> Eren
Rukia-> Mikasa
Uryu -> Armin
Orihime -> Sasha
Chad -> random titan face
Renji-> Jean

Dunno about the rest. But its a fun idea I had in my head.

Surprising what one random click can lead to...

Just started episode 1 last night and was unable to stop so I went on a 9-episode marathon of AoT and...
@#!*% @#!*%

This series is just too @#!*% good so far. Amazing opening and the show does incredible work of ever-increasing suspense with each episode. So far this series has given me more emotional-jerks than any anime I've seen previously, in a period of 9 episodes no less.

Now that I'm caught up I can add my own thoughts on where the show will go from this point:

First off in Episode 5 where Eren died and Mikasa gained the spotlight in the new two episodes I actually enjoyed and was looking foward to Mikasa becoming the main protagonist.

From Episode 1 I was invested into the series because it was literally the apocalypse. Mankind at war for their very existance against what seemed an invulnerable menace and fought only with the tools given and their ingenuity. With Eren's death it seemed that the show was going for a real human element of despair, I felt feels of fear and terror with each death.

Anyways Episode 8 and 9 came and I'm sort of conflicted.
With Eren supposedly gaining power of becoming a Titan the original premise from above seems to be fading. In Eren having this wtf-awesome-pwn-power the whole "life/mankind balancing on the tip of a knife" is now gone. It's not longer mankind vs titans but more like mankind + Eren-titan vs titans.

The mystery aspect is still there as what/who the Titans are and their origin is still unknown (plus the whole basement thing) but I can't help feel cautious at this point.

Anyways I plan to now keep tabs on this show and I hope the hype and awesome so far doesn't burn out in the remaining episodes.

Crocodile

Is there any hope for more or redone animation for the DVD/Blu-Ray releases? The stills and spots of no animation are really jarring and frequent. I know they are having production issues but they really should have planned things out better to not let themselves get into this type of situation.

SLV

Aww man, i caved and read the manga yesterday, from ep. 10 preview, does not seam like filler is coming imo.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ill just leave this here

sHBp5e1.jpg

Jex

It's been mentioned a few times within this thread that people don't seem to understand the geography within Attack on Titan. This confusion seems to come in two flavours: confusion about the layout of the walls (e.g. it's not a city with three big sets of walls, it's a huge expanse of land with walls at certain points) and confusion about where characters are because all the locations look kind of similar. Here's a perfect case in point:

episode 9 spoilers

where were levi and his squad in the beginning of this episode? where is hans? levi looked like he already arrived to trost but then he said something about the titans moving north toward the town. so they were in a city outside of this wall? kinda confused about peoples location, especially where hans and those titans stuck to the wall are.
I think you're only confused because everything in the show looks the same. It's impossible to tell any place apart from another without captions because they all look like they could be the same city. Lol.

Some of this confusion stems from people not paying complete attention to the show because the vast majority of this stuff is dealt with via character dialogue or, occasionally, imagery e.g. characters get on a boat, end up somewhere else even if it does all look rather similar. Another factor to consider is that neither the director nor the background artists do a good job of creating understandable, memorable spaces. The layout of buildings relative to each other is something that apparently no-one is paying attention to and I suppose when everyone can bounce around with 3D gear such matters are considered unimportant.

However, in reality, such things are important. The spaces characters inhabit tell us a great deal, they set the tone, they inform us about the world and the people who live in it. If one rooftop in one city kinds of looks like a rooftop in another city then it doesn't really matter where the characters are because nowhere feels distinct and tangible. What's worse is that it's not just that the place look kind of similar, some buildings are actually identical. It's actually pretty funny, just consider these shots of various locations in various episodes:

Can you see it yet? It's actually eveywhere. That one particuarly tower that has a single window at the top and a double window below appears frequently throughout the show, sometimes multiple times in a single shot. If you played a drinking game where you drank everytime you saw that tower you'd be in hospital pretty quickly. The sheer laziness of using the exact same tower across all these locations is pretty shocking. It's like having clone characters walking around all over the place.

Desmond

Just marathoned the first 9 episodes. I'm really enjoying it. Dare I get impatient and rad the manga? How many episodes are we gonna be at when the anime ends, 13/26?

Tawpgun

Not really into anime much, I loved DBZ as a kid but that's about the only anime I ever followed and even then it had to be in english.

I heard about this show on GAF and then two of my friends ended up cosplaying as the characters for Anime Boston. So I checked it out, I watched a few youtube clips and was impressed.

I really like the premise of the entire show, the world they build and how unique the combat is. I even thought the Titan's looking like weird humans was interesting.

I've watched up to Episode 9 now and i'm enjoying it, however for someone who is typically not into Anime all those cheesy japanese anime tropes that keep appearing bug me. Like when characters get into those internal monologues that just last forever, and the whole "I DONT KNOW IF IM STRONG ENOUGH. NO WAIT. I AM. I JUST GOTTA BELIIIEEEEEVE"

It's getting kinda cheesy. Especially last episode. Jesus how long does it take to say
I'm human

Not really into anime much, I loved DBZ as a kid but that's about the only anime I ever followed and even then it had to be in english.

I heard about this show on GAF and then two of my friends ended up cosplaying as the characters for Anime Boston. So I checked it out, I watched a few youtube clips and was impressed.

I really like the premise of the entire show, the world they build and how unique the combat is. I even thought the Titan's looking like weird humans was interesting.

I've watched up to Episode 9 now and i'm enjoying it, however for someone who is typically not into Anime all those cheesy japanese anime tropes that keep appearing bug me. Like when characters get into those internal monologues that just last forever, and the whole "I DONT KNOW IF IM STRONG ENOUGH. NO WAIT. I AM. I JUST GOTTA BELIIIEEEEEVE"

It's getting kinda cheesy. Especially last episode. Jesus how long does it take to say
I'm human

Remember, this is aimed at young boys. Cheesy is kind of par for the course.

sn00zer

I really dont like the violence in this show or how it is portrayed....but goddamn this would make a fantastic videogame.... but there isnt a single Japanese studio I would trust to do it right.... I think a western studio used to making open world games could do the traversal and tech very well

I really dont like the violence in this show or how it is portrayed....but goddamn this would make a fantastic videogame.... but there isnt a single Japanese studio I would trust to do it right.... I think a western studio used to making open world games could do the traversal and tech very well

It would be an amazing game, but I don't think any studio would be able to get the mechanics right, the grapple gear would be hard to get right.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Really? What are japans standard on what they deem ok for kids to see? Because it seems pretty gory. Is it meant to be something for like 16+?

Nope they just have different set of views than the US which is OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN etc bullshit which is getting quite old.

Really? What are japans standard on what they deem ok for kids to see? Because it seems pretty gory. Is it meant to be something for like 16+?

It's meant for pre-teen and early teenagers for the most part. It's an adaptation of a manga that's serialized in a shounen magazine, which anyone can buy regardless of age.

And if you think this is gory, you should have seen some of the stuff they got away with in the 70s. People in the US complained about stuff like Tom and Jerry being too violent to be aimed at kids, but I imagine they'd have a heart attack if they saw something like Violence Jack aimed at the same demographic.

Jintor

I'm still undecided on how I feel about this show as a whole, but it's good enough that I'll keep watching, if only to see whey it ends up. I really like Mikasa and Eren isn't a terrible protagonist or anything, and some of they other squad members are rad, but...something about it really irritates me and I can't quite parse what.

KarmaCow

I finished episode 5 and was blown away by how insane it was.

Then I watched the rest. Mikasa demolishing Titans with little effort after the massacre in ep5 was already of putting but
the show turning into a mech show
is almost a deal breaker. This was not I was expecting at all from everyone talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom