• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I'd say it looked as good as Film Z.The first episode was outstanding quality and all 9 episodes were very consistent and just generally top notch.

Roflmao. I guess some people just can't tell the difference. It's okay though. Just means you enjoy stuff more easily.

This will definitly get a film announced sooner or later XD
Roflmao. I guess some people just can't tell the difference. It's okay though. Just means you enjoy stuff more easily.

I think the artstyle they chose for the animation at least allows them to make it look better/hide blemish in comparison to most other anime, what are the chances this studio will clean up their bluray releases?

HeelPower

It might have to do with the fact that I watched them on the net and that neither were viewed at the their max quality.I can't make a 100% fair comparison when the baseline quality of the files isn't the same.I dunno if that even made sense ^_^.Anyway, it was very pleasing visually and consistent.I have no complaints whatsoever.

Dear Lord! I was bored today and decided to check this out....I have had no past experience with the manga...I just watched 9 episodes in one sitting.

Movie Quality Animation , Fantastic Pacing , Fantastic character design and writing...Incredible world design...Episode 1 literally shook my core..Extremely emotional and human characters and events..and then it just doesn't let up episode after episode...

I know I am just praising and not saying anything substantial but this is quite possibly one of the best "things" I have ever watched...EVER.

Quick question : Will 26 episodes actually the complete story ? SO much has happened in this 9 episodes that I doubt this anime will be as long as any of the big three.Just curious no spoilers wanted of course.

That's quite the impression! I won't hate. To answer your question.

Nope!

And 26 is all your getting for a long while so enjoy it. Maybe there will be a movie inbetween like samurai heart suggested.

HeelPower

That's quite the impression! I won't hate. To answer your question.

Nope!

And 26 is all your getting for a long while so enjoy it. Maybe there will be a movie inbetween like samurai heart suggested.

Jeez..are you implying that people hated the anime on here or what ? I admit I was a little annoyed by
Erren's Transformation into the giant which was kinda obvious when a giant out of no where was helping them..but its not enough to make the show bad

Just saw episode nine after slowly making my way through the first eight for a week and I want moar right now. I wish they hadn't spent so much time building up to the final moment so we'd get some tasty fear in this episode. Next week is going to be absolutely overflowing with terror, titan regeneration and pissed veteran pants. I wouldn't mind it if Jean, Potato girl and the rest hook up with the three musketeers for some vigilante Titan justice back at Shiganshina.

Definitely a contender for this year's top anime along with Space Brothers.

Jeez..are you implying that people hated the anime on here or what ? I admit I was a little annoyed by
Erren's Transformation into the giant which was kinda obvious when a giant out of no where was helping them..but its not enough to make the show bad

No I mean I won't hate on your enthusiasm. I won't rain on your parade. A figure of speech. Despite the jabs you'll see posted at the show's expense, most seem to be well gripped by AOT. I know I'm enjoying the ride :)

Honestly it seemed less obvious when I was reading it in the manga. Probably a combination of me marathoning the chapters and the art being so poor I didn't notice an immediate difference between Eren-Titan and the regular titans. lol
I'm genuinely disappointed it's so instantly obvious in the anime.

kirblar

Since people are curious about the world, here are all of the commercial separaters that have aired so far which contain a good bit of information. They haven't shown one of the more interesting bits though. I'm not sure if they've mentioned it elsewhere, so I'll spoiler tag but it's just an explanation of the city setup, not really spoilery:
The 4 bulging areas around each wall that you can see in images 2 and 3 below are major cities. One of which was Eren's hometown, one of which is also under attack now (Trost). The entirety of the wall is too long to actually patrol and it's been mentioned that titans are attracted to large groups of humans, so these cities were setup to lure titans to them where they can be properly defended against (many perks are given to live there, as no one sensible would otherwise). These cities actually have a double wall, which is why the Colossal titan broke down the outside gate and then the Armored titan broke through the gate that goes from the city to the inside of the actual wall. This is why they're all so concerned about the Armored titan right now, as so far they've just lost one city, but the Armored titan breaking through the inner wall would mean they'll lose another 1/3 of humanity's territory.

(Sorry for the crappy screenshots)
Episode 1-1
Episode 1-2
Episode 2-1
Episode 2-2
Episode 3-1
Episode 3-2
Episode 4-1
Episode 4-2
Episode 5-1
Episode 5-2
Episode 6-1
Episode 6-2
Episode 7-1
Episode 7-2
Episode 8-1
Episode 8-2
Episode 9-1
Episode 9-2
They had explained that about the original hometown, but they hadn't made it clear that's what was going on again this time. Thanks for the clarification. (I'm completely unspoiled to the show.)

Attack on Titan 9

I'll be honest. This is better than most anime TV shows I have seen. Perhaps I am ignorant, but this is really good.

I can't wait to see
what the doctor has hidden away in the basement.

HeelPower

No I mean I won't hate on your enthusiasm. I won't rain on your parade. A figure of speech. Despite the jabs you'll see posted at the show's expense, most seem to be well gripped by AOT. I know I'm enjoying the ride :)

Honestly it seemed less obvious when I was reading it in the manga. Probably a combination of me marathoning the chapters and the art being so poor it I didn't notice an immediate difference between Eren-Titan and the regular titans. lol
I'm genuinely disappointed it's so instantly obvious in the anime.

One thing I hope they maintain in the show is how fearsome giants are.I don't want them to lose their quality of being a threat at all times. Personally, I wished the giant would be a different kind or an anomaly instead of actually being erren. Also he was eaten so I kinda thought they would actually have the balls to kill and put Mikasa in the lead .Its ok though because I do like Erren a lot.I want humans to defeat giants or find a way to communicate with them down the line or something. I want something truly original and I hope the show doesn't give in to typicality.

Mh, watched all 9 episodes and I'm liking it so far. Story/setting is interesting though it's not my usual sweet spot.
Hate the main boy. Instead of having a stupid whiny kid in Evangelion, here you have a stupid angry kid. Big military cast feels like Valkyia Chronicles or something. though :)

His
transformation was a bit surprising, would have thought he captured a titan or something (plus after the titan died, he was inside him, so he just spawned some kind of suit and didn't actually transform?).

At least now I think to know how that colossal Titan disappeared into steam,
his user must have willingly morphed back. I guess having an actual opposing faction can make the series more interesting later on.

Jex

Episode the Ninth

I honestly don't see an improvement in the production values this week. There were still a ton of stills, some flashbacks and some obvious looped animations. It didn't look good.

Also lots of SHOUNEN TALKING.

Movie Quality Animation , Fantastic Pacing , Fantastic character design and writing...Incredible world design...Episode 1 literally shook my core..Extremely emotional and human characters and events..and then it just doesn't let up episode after episode...

I can't say I agree. Which to say that I disagree.

His
transformation was a bit surprising, would have thought he captured a titan or something (plus after the titan died, he was inside him, so he just spawned some kind of suit and didn't actually transform?).

Yeah I guess that is kind of how it works.
Although since his limbs regenerated, he must also have actual genetic similarities with the titans now.

NEO0MJ

Yeah I guess is kind of how it works.
Although since his limbs regenerated, he must also have actual genetic similarities with the titans now.

I wonder how much he is like a titan now. We still don't have an idea of how he transforms, or how his titan body works. Why does it regenerate at the start but later stops doing that?

Jex

You know, the sense of geography in this show is terrible. It's very hard to know how places connect to each other and it certainly doesn't help that they all kind of look the same.

More specifically, I don't really the follow the chain of movement from the end of episode 8 to episode 9:
So, the group were all down by Eren's body. Then at some point they split up and left Eren, Armin and Mikasa on their own (for no apparently reason) and then Mikasa and Armin took Eren right into the hands of the soldiers so that they could be easily surrounded? Er, what?

Moreover,
why does the dude keep shouting at Eren to ask who he is, and then when Eren says he's human command that he be killed? Isn't that just what he'd do if he'd said he was a titan? Why even ask? What's with all the dumb shouting?

You know, the sense of geography in this show is terrible. It's very hard to know how places connect to each other and it certainly doesn't help that they all kind of look the same.

More specifically, I don't really the follow the chain of movement from the end of episode 8 to episode 9:
So, the group were all down by Eren's body. Then at some point they split up and left Eren, Armin and Mikasa on their own (for no apparently reason) and then Mikasa and Armin took Eren right into the hands of the soldiers so that they could be easily surrounded? Er, what?
They were probably ordered to step back for a
good HE blast
which Armin and Mikasa clearly objected. No way the army would want to kill valuable soldiers that survived the battle of Trost.

daniels

I would rank HunterxHunter higher but Attack on Titan and Hunter made me an anime fan again both are sooo freaking awesome.

Moreover,
why does the dude keep shouting at Eren to ask who he is, and then when Eren says he's human command that he be killed? Isn't that just what he'd do if he'd said he was a titan? Why even ask? What's with all the dumb shouting?

First I'd say that fear can be irrational. Second, perhaps already assuming Eren was some sort of enemy spy, he wanted to intimidate him into giving up his plans/intentions before blowing him to kingdom come.

Moreover,

That's why he was saying "forgive me" or something along the lines. Basically his intent was to kill him from the start, but it would have lifted the weight of his shoulders if he actually admitted to be a Titan, thus no moral conflict of killing a human for the greater good.
It's the same as asking "are you a witch?" while the tests are designed to kill either way.

btw yeah they did a poor job explaining the geography. The schematics look like it was just a one mega city with 3 walls. Needed some episodes to get it.
Also "hey, let an 250.000 strong army march against the titans. But let's show nothing of it and how they all died".

Lol
Crazy shouting commander never fails to look crazy and stressed as fuck. I love how he's poking for an answer that he knows doesn't matter. He was going to have the trio shot regardless, because he's crazy. CRAZY.

Some cool action, tense drama, cool transformation. Lots of stills, all the usual production issues.

Still loving Sawano's OST.

Jigolo

Yeah, the TV show fucked that part up.
"Nah, you couldn't possibly have met your father. That was just a dream.
-Yeah, I guess you're right. *pockets his father's key*"

Just forget that exchange.
He did meet his father shortly after the fall of the wall, and that's how he got the key. But he can't remember how it went down exactly (
because of that injection, as said in today's episode
).

Ahhh. dude. Thank you. Makes sense now. Still questions left unanswered but those will be in the episodes ahead I'm sure.

NEO0MJ

Lol
Crazy shouting commander never fails to look crazy and stressed as fuck. I love how he's poking for an answer that he knows doesn't matter. He was going to have the trio shot regardless, because he's crazy. CRAZY.

I hope the coward dies a horrible death soon. After all he's the reason the supply unit lost the will to do their job.

Lucc

Whoa, Episode 9 actually explained a lot.

Especially Eren and his
new ability. He can basically transform into a Titan anytime he wants? Remember the Giant Titan that seemingly appeared and disappeared out of nowhere? I guess that's the explanation for that. Seems like humanity is infiltrated by people with that ability, but with ill intent, waiting for the perfect moment to attack, like when the Recon Squad is out.

fanboi

Banned

Especially Eren and his
new ability. He can basically transform into a Titan anytime he wants? Remember the Giant Titan that seemingly appeared and disappeared out of nowhere? I guess that's the explanation for that. Seems like humanity is infiltrated by people with that ability, but with ill intent, waiting for the perfect moment to attack, like when the Recon Squad is out.

Ooo I like this.

But there must have been an outsider right? Who turned into the titans? Since otherwise they could have turned from within.

Soriku

Especially Eren and his

Yeah that explains the 'intelligent' Titans. I think I can already tell
who one of the Titan-humans is.

Remember
that girl, Ymir I think her name was, who hangs around with that blonde chick, Christa (not Annie)? After she heard that Eren's squad was wiped out besides Armin, she wasn't disturbed and actually laughed. Lol are you fricking kidding me?

RangerBAD

Dude it's now a
giant robot show. You're complaining about the gundam's design. Saying the titan form is unrelatable is like saying a giant mechanized robot isn't human enough. And I think the exposed bone and flesh was a result of taking a cannon blast.

More like
he didn't have enough time to materialize his titan form. It was a quick and sloppy henshin.

By the way, Kamen Rider should be in the OT's title. After all,
he can now transform!

Yeah that explains the 'intelligent' Titans. I think I can already tell
who one of the Titan-humans is.

Remember
that girl, Ymir I think her name was, who hangs around with that blonde chick, Christa (not Annie)? After she heard that Eren's squad was wiped out besides Armin, she wasn't disturbed and actually laughed. Lol are you fricking kidding me?

Yes, it's Christa. Ymir is pretty aloof and anti-social otherwise.

NEO0MJ

Yes, it's Christa. Ymir is pretty aloof and anti-social otherwise.

It's potato girl. You can tell by how primal she is. But seriously I think we'll have to wait until they reach the basement. After all his dad said it would reveal the truth.

RangerBAD

It's potato girl. You can tell by how primal she is. But seriously I think we'll have to wait until they reach the basement. After all his dad said it would reveal the truth.

He was talking about the girl that hangs around Ymir and he wasn't sure who it was. I was just confirming the person for him.

wildfire

Banned
Hey I really liked Utena!

Mikasa sucks. She is the typical shounen "here is a strong female character!" who is actually not strong at all. She has very little emotion or personality, because that is seemingly a requirement to be considered a strong female in shounen anime. Her entire life revolves around a man who she wants to bone. Literally every thought and action is taken with him in mind. So while she protects him and kicks ass, she's really kind of pathetic.

Are you sure about that? Sure that is an archtype we have seen in other anime but I don't think that's a part of her character.

SO Ive been watching this...and I dont really watch a lot of anime...but what the fuck is with the violence in this show....its pretty fucking gratuitous.... its odd having a show that jokes about character always eating food and farting and then have another scene where a guy blows his brains out....

I like the story, but the fucked up violence is a huge turn off

I take it you never watched The Walking Dead either? It's not anime if you don't know what it is.

Good episode aside from Eren using Gear Third to summon Susanoo

That's some bad pandering and really killed the mood they were going for

This analogy is brilliant.

wildfire

Banned
Yeah the anime doesn't make it very clear. All you see is Titans coming out from a plain, but then it makes it look like they're coming from the very edge/outside Wall Maria. But then it wouldn't make sense for soldiers to be there behind the Titans becase the Titans already occupy Maria, The way the anime makes it seems is that Wall Maria is just one city, then there's gate or something that leads into another city in Rose, then another one in Sina.

Anyway, episode 9. This episode just flew by, dat tension. A Titan needs to eat that bearded fuck already. Levi looks cool.

Also I liked the guitar intro to that one new vocal song. Meh.

These complaints are sort of valid. I found the scope and size of the 3 walls confusing but on my second rewatch they have these really brief moments that illustrate the size and scope of humanity's dominion. The only problem is that they are so brief it would be easy to miss details like:

-the wide overhead shot showing the town Eren and his friends lived in was just a pocket in front of the main wall.
-or the off hand comment between Eren and the 2 older cadets about how they were from a mountain village so they didn't get a chance to get advanced warning about the Titans unlike the river cities.

Dali

Man what a great episode, I was kinda expecting to be disappointed since 8 was so good.

I just have one question, what's up with Eren's dad? Where is he/what's he up to?
There are no dads in anime. If the exist they are always working away from home or otherwise distant and unavailable.

Episode 9:

A lot of this episode was just talking except for the first few scenes with
Levi,
and the very last part of the episode. Either way the episode was enjoying and I'm very curious what is in
the doctor's basement. I wouldn't be surprised if its a whole mess of serums to turn people into titans.

Prediction:I haven't read the manga btw
I for one have seen anime for a very long time and I don't think they'll just show Levi for a few minutes and not have him do anything. I think Levi is going to fight Eren while he's in titan form roaming around or something. I bet a lot of the soldiers are going to be fighting him but Levi is going to be the big one. It would be just weird for an anime to just show a character for nothing to happen to him for the next few episodes. It's usually within the next 2 episodes, the only ones I see break this rule are One Piece and Naruto but they are long time shows.

Ultratech

Episode 9

Well, that WAS interesting. Also explained some stuff. But it felt really short for some reason. :\

Moreover,

After they recovered Eren, apparently they went back to base and everyone there except Armin, Eren, and Mikasa were put under a Gag Order and told to go away.

As for the answer to your second question, as mentioned, it appears they were gonna kill him either way.
Him being delusional and saying "I'm gonna kill all of you." (out of context) didn't help matters. Sorta like the witch hunt analogy.
If he had admitted he was a Titan, they would've immediately fired on him with little hesitation (instead of waiting a little bit). I can understand why it seems stupid.

Episode-9:

Guess this means humanity is even more fucked because it's implied the Armored and Titan-Titan were humans like Eren and can transform at will. So, they must have sleepers inside the walls already, meaning if they wanted too couldn't they just kill everyone in an instant?

Some more opinions on what has happened so far:

I really dislike that commander. I knew from the beginning when he talked about running away being a capital offense that he was scum. As for his questioning, yes, it's like a witch hunt. Tie a person to a cinder block and toss him in the water. If he survives, he's a witch, and we kill him. If he doesn't, we were wrong, but he's dead either way.

I'm also really happy to fill in those weird gaps with this dad. I remember expressing confusion on how it seemed like Eren met his father after his mother's death, and memory loss explained it rather well. I can't wait to see what's in that basement. I'm still not sure if I prefer Eren having this power-up or Mikasa killing Titans the usual way. I recall a few people here commenting on how the manga doesn't really explain many things (such as why Titans target humans), so I wonder if we'll learn exactly how this power-up works.

Oh, and I like watching live reactions on YouTube after every episode. It's really fun, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom