• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
tumblr_mnuf0bcNz31qhrfyjo1_500.png

I actually think that was madonna and bruce willis lol

sonicmj1

Episode 9

This episode took about twice as long to cover the events at hand as it needed to. So many lengthy flashbacks. So much shouting. So many "tense" pans over people staring each other down. If anyone had any doubt that this show was having production issues, this should make it amply clear, especially given how much better the average production quality was during the first few episodes.

I guess it's admirable that they haven't had to push out a completely ugly episode instead, like the 18th episode of Psycho-Pass, but I do wish this adaptation was better served than 30 seconds of action, 4 minutes of recapping, and 15 minutes of panning stills and flapping mouths. They should do a recap episode for the good of the rest of the series.

duckroll

Can you see it yet? It's actually eveywhere. That one particuarly tower that has a single window at the top and a double window below appears frequently throughout the show, sometimes multiple times in a single shot. If you played a drinking game where you drank everytime you saw that tower you'd be in hospital pretty quickly. The sheer laziness of using the exact same tower across all these locations is pretty shocking. It's like having clone characters walking around all over the place.

You know what those screens you posted reminded me of? Assassin's Creed. The backgrounds in the show really look like they're being designed for some open world game. Lots of asset reuse, design reuse, city layouts made expansive by virtue of being able to replicate smaller modular areas very quickly across a larger area. Maybe we're looking at the building blocks of the next-gen Shingeki game here! :p

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Gotten up to Episode 8. It's alright, can't really say I'm in love with it as much as other people. I guess a couple years of fairly weak anime seasons will leave people rabid for anything somewhat decent.

The still frame conversation on the staircase had me rolling though, man...at least move their mouths a little.

Why do I have the strong fear that this show is either going to have some filler or do a couple clip show flashback episodes in the second half like Wolf's Rain? haha

Setsuna

Can you see it yet? It's actually eveywhere. That one particuarly tower that has a single window at the top and a double window below appears frequently throughout the show, sometimes multiple times in a single shot. If you played a drinking game where you drank everytime you saw that tower you'd be in hospital pretty quickly. The sheer laziness of using the exact same tower across all these locations is pretty shocking. It's like having clone characters walking around all over the place.

why stop there lets create a diffent houses as well

and roof tops why do all the roof tops look the same

Go_Ly_Dow

You know what those screens you posted reminded me of? Assassin's Creed. The backgrounds in the show really look like they're being designed for some open world game. Lots of asset reuse, design reuse, city layouts made expansive by virtue of being able to replicate smaller modular areas very quickly across a larger area. Maybe we're looking at the building blocks of the next-gen Shingeki game here! :p

Japan exclusive. No localization. No Xbone version. PS4 region locked.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished ep. 9. Didn't see that coming.

i thought Eren was the first to learn how to control a titan, but it seems now that he was some sort of experiment from his dad

Pretty interesting.

Daingurse

mj-laughing.gif

Well, that is simply fantastic.

Episode 9 spoilers:

So Titans have stomach acid right? It felt like that girl still alive in the Titans stomach was definitely melting in the manga, while it felt a little ambiguous in the anime. I don't know seemed weird to me. Great episode though, that partial transformation at the end had way more impact here than it did in the manga for me.

Jex

If only they went for the Dark Souls loving hand crafted open world and not the copy-paste Assassins Credd approach.

Tawpgun

Every Saturday, though there might be delays sometimes.

What do you think about the show?

Not really into anime much, I loved DBZ as a kid but that's about the only anime I ever followed and even then it had to be in english.

I heard about this show on GAF and then two of my friends ended up cosplaying as the characters for Anime Boston. So I checked it out, I watched a few youtube clips and was impressed.

I really like the premise of the entire show, the world they build and how unique the combat is. I even thought the Titan's looking like weird humans was interesting.

I've watched up to Episode 9 now and i'm enjoying it, however for someone who is typically not into Anime all those cheesy japanese anime tropes that keep appearing bug me. Like when characters get into those internal monologues that just last forever, and the whole "I DONT KNOW IF IM STRONG ENOUGH. NO WAIT. I AM. I JUST GOTTA BELIIIEEEEEVE"

It's getting kinda cheesy. Especially last episode. Jesus how long does it take to say
I'm human
This

Jonogunn

The stomach scene is horrifying to watch. I was wishing all along since the season started that they wouldn't show that and hoped everyone died before reaching the stomach.

flash ban

Banned
I finished episode 5 and was blown away by how insane it was.

Then I watched the rest. Mikasa demolishing Titans with little effort after the massacre in ep5 was already of putting but
the show turning into a mech show
is almost a deal breaker. This was not I was expecting at all from everyone talking about it.
don't worry the mech aspects don't entirely dominate the story, iirc.

Also whats the deal with those info screens between breaks. They're on for half a second and you can't finish reading.

I figured it was just random information on the equipment they use and the geographical territory. Not really anything of importance but just there to act as a supplement if you can actually manage to read something before it switches over.

Why would one watch Dark Souls instead of playing it. If they were to adapt this, then it would be an entire different matter.

UCHrKYk.gif

A 13 episode prequel would be cool, or maybe even just a few OVA's leading up to Dark Souls 2.

I don't seriously expect something like that to happen but it's fun to entertain the idea.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I figured it was just random information on the equipment they use and the geographical territory. Not really anything of importance but just there to act as a supplement if you can actually manage to read something before it switches over.

UCHrKYk.gif

A 13 episode prequel would be cool, or maybe even just a few OVA's leading up to Dark Souls 2.

I don't seriously expect something like that to happen but it's fun to entertain the idea.

Problem is Dark Souls is more about the experience you go through, rather than just watching it you know?

Dont think it would work at all.

chrono01

Episode 9 Spoilers:

So it looks as though Eren has different "forms" of Titans. The one in Episode 8 was a lot more combat-drive and Episode 9 more defensive. Or maybe it's because he didn't have time to manifest the full-scale and opted, instead, to focus on the arm/ribcage/head to deflect the blast and protect his friends?

Either way, I'm excited!

Thankfully, I don't have the same issues that many others have in this thread [I don't mean to say that they're not there, they just don't bother me], so I can enjoy every episode to the fullest. >:)

Varodor

Banned
Attack on Titan Manga sales skyrocket after anime!

http://animeshinbun.com/news/1271045/attack-on-titan-manga-sales-skyrocket-after-anime

Back in December 2012 the first 9 volumes had already sold more than 10 Million copies, which is pretty damn impressive for only 9 Volumes in all fairness.

An anime adaption started airing in April 2013 and is currently on its 9th Episode with another 16 to come with a possible OVA and a Feature Movie. Since the release of the anime the sales of the manga have skyrocketed up another 8.7 million in these few short months of the anime airing.

With the release of Volume 10 last month the print manga reached a total of 19.5 Million copies sold, and that is absolutely astonishing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

http://animeshinbun.com/news/1271045/attack-on-titan-manga-sales-skyrocket-after-anime

Back in December 2012 the first 9 volumes had already sold more than 10 Million copies, which is pretty damn impressive for only 9 Volumes in all fairness.

An anime adaption started airing in April 2013 and is currently on its 9th Episode with another 16 to come with a possible OVA and a Feature Movie. Since the release of the anime the sales of the manga have skyrocketed up another 8.7 million in these few short months of the anime airing.

With the release of Volume 10 last month the print manga reached a total of 19.5 Million copies sold, and that is absolutely astonishing.

Isayama raking in that cash.

Akito

Those are circulation rather than sale numbers. Still impressive regardless and the manga authors do get paid for every printed volume.

Articalys

Well, this might explain why the CD single containing Guren no Yumiya isn't releasing until early July -- one of the other tracks on it, Jiyuu no Tsubasa, is the second OP for the show. I wonder if it'll be as memetically popular as the first one.

Oh and the article also points out that Attack on Titan is the next anime series in line for a ridiculous Pizza Hut cross promotion, though the website for that won't be live until next Monday.

Also, Linked Horizon chose a particularly amusing way to announce that the TV size version of Guren no Yumiya was getting added to the Joysound karaoke system with the animated OP. They're certainly getting their mileage out of those Colossal Titan suits.

IrishNinja

FUCK YES

just caught up on all 9 eps so far, this is the best modern anime ive seen since Black Lagoon...much love to OP for putting it in my life

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
FUCK YES

just caught up on all 9 eps so far, this is the best modern anime ive seen since Black Lagoon...much love to OP for putting it in my life

People really need to let a series play out before making such declarations for it will end in tragedy.

Lynd7

This series is really great so far. What worries me slightly is that the manga may just keep going for hundreds of volumes, which could dilute the story to much.

I hope the creator of the manga has the sense to end the story before it starts to drag.

Kayhan

This series is really great so far. What worries me slightly is that the manga may just keep going for hundreds of volumes, which could dilute the story to much.

I hope the creator of the manga has the sense to end the story before it starts to drag.

Why stop a money-maker?

/cynical

NEO0MJ

Why stop a money-maker?

/cynical

This is something I hate about manga. It seems a lot of the stories that start out as something with a planned beginning and end but if it ever hits big the writer starts padding it as much as possible in hopes of milking it for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom