• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalFool

Banned
Just watched all 9 back-to-back.

To think I almost skipped this show this season, such a high feels-per-episode ratio and the animation is sublime. I do however think it'll burn itself out pretty quickly - it doesn't feel like the plot has that many directions it can really take.

Also without wanting to spoil the plot - Mikasa ends up being my waifu. So get over it ;)

Proelite

Just watched all 9 back-to-back.

To think I almost skipped this show this season, such a high feels-per-episode ratio and the animation is sublime. I do however think it'll burn itself out pretty quickly - it doesn't feel like the plot has that many directions it can really take.

Also without wanting to spoil the plot - Mikasa ends up being my waifu. So get over it ;)

To bad she is used goods.

Dibs

Moonlight

Banned
What do you see in Mikasa? In fictional media, shes pretty much the most dull character type anyone could ever design.
tumblr_mn4ohgQn5x1rz8vg3o1_500.png

And all of a sudden...

Dresden

Uber badass, hawt, abs that can crush a brick to dust, and just the right amount of psychotic obsession/attachment/trauma to spice things up.

She's no Christa though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Um, wow. This show certainly went (and is going in) an interesting direction.

Blades64

Banned
This freaking anime is so goooood. The production is just nice!

It's very depressing so far though (on episode 7), lol.

sonicmj1

What do you see in Mikasa? In fictional media, shes pretty much the most dull character type anyone could ever design.

Well, what do you think about character designs?

Well I look to characters with traits in their design that I think would make for the ideal person or ones that I would like to have. Plus I still even have a criticism for Kirito
He lost on what two and almost three occasions, which was fairly disappointing considering his skills

Mikasa is perfect! She's strong, she's smart, she's brave, she's beautiful, she doesn't take shit from bad people, and she cares deeply about protecting those close to her. Not only that, she never loses! The only way she could be better would be if she were able to lighten up every now and then.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, what do you think about character designs?

Mikasa is perfect! She's strong, she's smart, she's brave, she's beautiful, she doesn't take shit from bad people, and she cares deeply about protecting those close to her. Not only that, she never loses! The only way she could be better would be if she were able to lighten up every now and then.

Problem for DTL is that she's a girl. :p

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Just out of curiosity what's the mix between fun stuff and classroom crap?

I know it is a loaded question but I have little patience for the trite high school drama that's so prevalent in Japanese anime/videogames.

I don't really watch anime but from time to time I stumble into something that might be up to my alley and the screen grabs and setting have piqued my interest.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
There has not been a new truly great action anime show in around 5 years. The animation here looks terrific. Will give it a shot.

I'll stop you right there and say that there have been really great action anime titles with the past 5 years such as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Fate/Zero.

sonicmj1

Just out of curiosity what's the mix between fun stuff and classroom crap?

I know it is a loaded question but I have little patience for the trite high school drama that's so prevalent in Japanese anime/videogames.

I don't really watch anime but from time to time I stumble into something that might be up to my alley and the screen grabs and setting have piqued my interest.

This is not a high school show at all. The closest thing to "classroom crap" is military boot camp.

I'll stop you right there and say that there have been really great action anime titles with the past 5 years such as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Fate/Zero.

Agreed. I think both of those shows are better than what we've seen of Titan so far (and are also completely free of school stuff), even if their premises don't spur the imagination quite as readily.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This is not a high school show at all. The closest thing to "classroom crap" is military boot camp.

Agreed. I think both of those shows are better than what we've seen of Titan so far (and are also completely free of school stuff), even if their premises don't spur the imagination quite as readily.

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Jojo and I'm not really a huge anime fan, so it's a thumbs-up from me. I missed
Dio filler text
as a villain, and thought that
the strangeness and alien feeling of Santana, which initially made him so menacing as a villain, was kind of destroyed by how much more human-seeming (in comparison, anyway) the other Pillar Men were
and thus they weren't as good as antagonists, so the show kind of downturned for me a little, but it was consistently still pretty damn good. Definitely over the top, but not in your typical animu dramaz way but more in a "I have SO MUCH TESTOSTERONE i cannot POSSIBLY CONTAIN IT" *muscles* way.

It seemed the like Japanese anime equivalent of an '80s action movie. With vampires.

EDIT: I haven't watched Fate/Zero. I tried watching both Gargantua and the one with the name I can't remember that means Flower of Evil (I think?), and Gargantua was fine-ish for me until
Episode 6
when I bailed the fuck out and never looked back, and Flower of Evil just didn't really interest me. I'm just mentioning those two because I think they're common AnimeGAF suggestions and as "casual" anime watcher they weren't my cup of tea, so.

sonicmj1

What are Jojo and Fate/Zero about?

Damn, I'm back in anime fever :lol

Fate/Zero and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure were number 2 and 3, respectively, in NeoGAF's 2012 Anime of the Year thread. The former is a show about a battle royale between magicians fighting in modern Japan, using superpowered legendary heroes drawn from the pages of history. The latter focuses on a British family called Joestar, seeking to stop the power of an ancient stone mask that turns those who wear it into mighty vampires.

They are both very easy to recommend. Fate/Zero is more serious, with higher production values. It's beautiful to watch, and it has a wide cast of very well-developed archetypes. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure feels like a prototypical action show in the mold of Fist of the North Star. Its cast is drawn in broad strokes, creating a melodramatic battle between noble heroes and dishonorable villains. The voice cast does a fantastic job, and some of the music is incredibly well chosen, including the ending theme: "Roundabout", by Yes.

EDIT: Crab, I obviously don't want to make you watch anything you don't feel comfortable returning to, but nobody has done any belly-dancing since Episode 6 in Gargantia.

Nibel

Here is a good review of Fate/Zero that sums up things nicely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8I7a2RRrTE&list=FLN_l__SmDHxlk9X3hLgad-g&index=20

Jojo is the anime adaption of the first two volumes of the very long running manga and it helps if you know what Fist of The North Star is.

Fate/Zero and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure were number 2 and 3, respectively, in NeoGAF's 2012 Anime of the Year thread. The former is a show about a battle royale between magicians fighting in modern Japan, using superpowered legendary heroes drawn from the pages of history. The latter focuses on a British family called Joestar, seeking to stop the power of an ancient stone mask that turns those who wear it into mighty vampires.

They are both very easy to recommend. Fate/Zero is more serious, with higher production values. It's beautiful to watch, and it has a wide cast of very well-developed archetypes. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure feels like a prototypical action show in the mold of Fist of the North Star. Its cast is drawn in broad strokes, creating a melodramatic battle between noble heroes and dishonorable villains. The voice cast does a fantastic job, and some of the music is incredibly well chosen, including the ending theme: "Roundabout", by Yes.

EDIT: Crab, I obviously don't want to make you watch anything you don't feel comfortable returning to, but nobody has done any belly-dancing since Episode 6 in Gargantia.

Well, I just played the Fist Of The Northstar game on my Xbox 360 which was very gory and.. manly, perhaps? :lol I liked it though, the protagonist seems to be a badass and I like how everything explodes when he punches it

I think I will give them both a shot :) Sounds good

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I'd already given the show a "one last chance" after Episode 5 - that beach party was blatantly exploitative for no apparent reason. Two episodes running was just too much. Maybe I'll return when the series has finished up and people can tell me which episodes to avoid, but I'd just like some female characters that have actual depth and are not quasi-lolicon material.

I really felt both where cheap.

I saw JoJo to Ep15-17 to convince me of the it's bad-in-a-good-way and I tried to rekindle the flame with the retro 80s art style and thematics. I just couldn't. I didn't have the strength.

Fate/Story, I didn't this show, but the art looked generic. I thought this is just shovelware?

There has not been a really impressive action show since Samurai Champloo, with really great animation and well directed script that had the production values to match. Friends keep asking me to recommend me stuff, and there is nothing out there for the casual anime fan who wants the cool stuff.

I couldn't even convince them to give Sengoku Basara a try. They watched a bit of it and felt that the funny bits where not worth enduring the rest of it.

I guess Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit was the best show I've watched in the last 3-4 years. And Guren Lagan.

We used to have lots of great action shows in the early 2000s. Stuff like Claymore! That rocked and I wish we had more of that level of quality.

sonicmj1

I'd already given the show a "one last chance" after Episode 5 - that beach party was blatantly exploitative for no apparent reason. Two episodes running was just too much. Maybe I'll return when the series has finished up and people can tell me which episodes to avoid, but I'd just like some female characters that have actual depth and are not quasi-lolicon material.

I understand, then. Things have been fanservice-free for a while, but I can't predict the future.

I really felt both where cheap.

Fate/Story, I didn't this show, but the art looked generic. I thought this is just shovelware?

We used to have lots of great action shows in the early 2000s. Stuff like Claymore! That rocked and I wish we had more of that level of quality.

Fate/Stay Night is shovelware (that is to say, it's mediocre), but Fate/Zero is the real deal in both production value and quality. There's a reason it performed so well in the AOTY poll.

And Claymore is actually a 2007 show.

I understand, then. Things have been fanservice-free for a while, but I can't predict the future.

Fate/Stay Night is shovelware (that is to say, it's mediocre), but Fate/Zero is the real deal in both production value and quality. There's a reason it performed so well in the AOTY poll.

And Claymore is actually a 2007 show.

ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying that.

Can I watch Fate/Zero without having seen the Stay Night?

There has not been a new truly great action anime show in around 5 years. The animation here looks terrific. Will give it a shot.
Fate Zero says hi bro. :p

edit:Oh and you know Fate Zero isn't only a great action anime its just a great anime all around and with a solid cast. Kiri and Rider. <3

edit: damn this is what I get for not reading until the later posts. :x

_Ryo_

I love this show but the animation annoys me at times. There are scenes that have amazing animation and then there are some that look like a powerpoint slideshow. A static panning background. It screams of lack of production. It's a shame too.

kurahador

I love this show but the animation annoys me at times. There are scenes that have amazing animation and then there are some that look like a powerpoint slideshow. A static panning background. It screams of lack of production. It's a shame too.

At least they animated the action parts which is better than most.

Lots of other anime adaptation tends to use stills during action scenes.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I figured it was just random information on the equipment they use and the geographical territory. Not really anything of importance but just there to act as a supplement if you can actually manage to read something before it switches over.

UCHrKYk.gif

A 13 episode prequel would be cool, or maybe even just a few OVA's leading up to Dark Souls 2.

I don't seriously expect something like that to happen but it's fun to entertain the idea.

Mid roll?

I wonder how much those trunks weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom