• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It annoys me that they screw up the English grammar for the title. It's not Attack on Titan. It's "The Attacking/Raging/Rushing/Incoming Titans". Something like that. Attack on Titan doesn't make sense.

I agree! Before actually seeing anything about the show, when I first heard the title I thought it was a sci-fi show about people living on the moon Titan. ...that actually sounds pretty cool still. Or, has anyone in the show confirmed that it takes place on Earth? Hmm...

hom3land

After watching episode 11... and this is why I stopped watching anime. this make 4 episodes in a row filled with high pitched whinning followed by fast snap pan to shocked faces over some line in said whining...

Tawpgun

After watching episode 11... and this is why I stopped watching anime. this make 4 episodes in a row filled with high pitched whinning followed by fast snap pan to shocked faces over some line in said whining...

Yup...

Next episode is poised to be fun though. Interesting development.

I think this is just the natural result of following manga so closely.

Downtime works fine in manga since it's not animated, and you can quickly read through things to get to the action if you don't find it interesting.

However when it comes to an animated product, especially one where its clear draw is the action and the studio is under a tight schedule, you can expect things to suffer a bit as they are adapting the slower parts from the manga.

It seems like shows with no manga source material tend to fare better in this department since they aren't held back by strictly following the manga.

ultron87

The obvious production issues on display in this show have made me realize I really don't know anything about the typical anime production cycle. Is it always produced under such a tight schedule (apparently finishing the episode the week it airs) or is this some weird special case?

The obvious production issues on display in this show have made me realize I really don't know anything about the typical anime production cycle. Is it always produced under such a tight schedule (apparently finishing the episode the week it airs) or is this some weird special case?

I think attack on titan takes it to the extreme but it seems recently theres been more random issues with production happening rather too often (Magi anime not getting certain parts of the animation in time, Psycho Pass not being able to wholly complete the animation of one episode leading to a really atrocious looking episode, are just two examples).

OmegaX

I'm getting bored with this anime. The last 3 episodes could have been done in one. I wonder how many episodes will it take to seal that damn hole, 2? 3 more?

My understanding is that animation studios in Japan run really tight schedules considering the amount of stuff that comes out every year.

Makes you wonder about what could be produced if the deadlines were considerably relaxed.

Would probably result in fewer shows per year but if that allowed for more time spent on the animation I think it would be preferable to having a lot of shows with stale animation.

However I don't know how that would affect the business side of animation.

Branduil

Is anime often on a tight production schedule? Yes. Is it usually as bad as in this case, no.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just started watching this, up to episode 9, enjoying it so far. I've yet to watch an anime that didn't have slow eps, so I won't mind the next few so much. Perhaps I don't care because I started with DBZ so many years ago, and spending 20 episodes powering up was the norm.

Necrovex

Wow. I can totally revisit the me of like a decade ago. Blade of the Immortal and Gantz are both done. Berserk will never be done, though.

I would have a god damn heart attack if someone told me Berserk had its final chapter release....And it wasn't either a lie, or because Miura died and the series would never have a true ending.

Attack on..........damn it. Yeah, Attack On File Size of the GIF I posted. I tried to cut out the part where he transformed, I assumed it was spoiler.

Repost of it:
BITE.gif

I used Photoshop to make sure no frames were dropped. ( Like GIFCam and stuff )

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Oh man, I just started watching.

What convinced me to keep watching wasn't the action, or the emotion, but the fucking potato scene in episode 3. Dead.

I'm not bothered with the passing, they seem to do 1 episode for 1 chapter.
I guess the problem is where they are going to finnish the current season, considering the manga is still ongoing.

Erigu

I guess the problem is where they are going to finnish the current season, considering the manga is still ongoing.
Again, the fact the manga is still ongoing isn't an issue as they couldn't possibly catch up to it anyway, at their current pace.

That being said, I do wonder where they intend to end the current series, yeah. There was a potential "stopping point" that sounded good to me a few weeks ago, but unless they speed things up during the second cours (which is possible, I guess, but...)...

Dahbomb

Attack on..........damn it. Yeah, Attack On File Size of the GIF I posted. I tried to cut out the part where he transformed, I assumed it was spoiler.

Repost of it:
BITE.gif

I used Photoshop to make sure no frames were dropped. ( Like GIFCam and stuff )
Fuck man watching them rappel around like that always gets me HYPED!

chrono01

The anime appears to be a slow burn, for sure, which is slightly disappointing considering the first few episodes.

That being said, I'm still really intrigued to see where they're going with this. I never read the manga, so thankfully I remain un-spoiled.

It's been a relatively slow season for me anyway, so it's not like I'm drowning in shows to watch. I still look forward to each new episode on Saturday, although I do worry how they're going to end the season. Here's hoping.

Also, we need more of Potato Girl. She's [criminally] neglected with air-time. :(

Started watching the first episode, will finish it tomorrow.. but they must have a really low animation budget.. a lot of still-frames! Quite sad to see.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
You know, what I really don't get is
how Mikasa is able to kill titans without getting instantly grabbed like nearly everyone else. Is the explanation just that she is fast? How could that even be a factor if what is actually propelling them around has nothing to do with the users speed?

kewlmyc

Thinking about it now, this is one series that could actually benefit from a recap movie series. Cut the fluff, reanimate some of the QUALITY scenes, and get rid of the stills. You do that and you could have a fantastic product.

Akito

You know, what I really don't get is
how Mikasa is able to kill titans without getting instantly grabbed like nearly everyone else. Is the explanation just that she is fast? How could that even be a factor if what is actually propelling them around has nothing to do with the users speed?
Even if the gears are all the same, it depends on how efficient the users are using them. Mikasa is hailed as an unprecedented genius who can master anything she attempts to learn, she's fast, strong, precise and intelligent to boost.
I was trying to be as objective as I can, I swear.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Even if the gears are all the same, it depends on how efficient the users are using them. Mikasa is hailed as an unprecedented genius who can master anything she attempts to learn, she's fast, strong, precise and intelligent to boost.
I was trying to be as objective as I can, I swear.

Eh, I guess I can accept that
with her. However I don't like how the amount of danger the teams are in depends on the importance of whatever character is in the scene. Like when they are heading to the HQ, they kill at least three of the things almost effortlessly. Even though a couple scenes earlier, Eren's team could barely kill one without someone getting snatched up. It's not much of a problem to me, it's just that it messes with my perception of how dangerous titans actually are.

remz

yeah even though the mechanics are the same, a lot of the speed mikasa gets using the 3d gear is a result of individual skill and strength. i'm not sure if it's in the anime, but eren initially has trouble even standing up. It's a pretty complex thing... i think. and pretty user dependent

So it's not too much of a stretch to say mikasa is so much better at the rest due to having control over the 3d gear and therefore her movement.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Wait...does crunchy roll only censor language, or violence too? I noticed that the potato scene on youtube has different captions. "Fuck" isn't in the crunch roll episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom