• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pacing is now approaching Marineford levels. They've really completely botched this series up.

NOTHING will ever be as bad as Marineford. I haven't watched the episode yet, but I highly doubt it covered less than 17 pages. Monthly manga adaptations going at a 1:1 rate is a lot more reasonable than weekly series adaptations.

Well, as always, I try to make the GIFS out:

BITE.gif
I've never seen Eren pull off the spin move that Mikasa did in that GIF, Eren sucks.lol

Anyway I look forward to the next episode, one can only take so much talking if it means I dont get to see any titans getting killed or any spiderman moves. I hope we dont talk or yell our way to the last episode because the studio can no longer animate any action scenes.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I've never seen Eren pull off the spin move that Mikasa did in that GIF, Eren sucks.lol

If he spent his time practicing NOT traveling in straight lines instead of taking his daddy issues out on Mikasa, they wouldn't be able to think up hilariously faulty plans like they are right now.

Well this week's episode was better than last, however it still suffers from the poor-ass pacing. Next week previews to be bringing back the spiderman action scenes, one can only hope.

NOTHING will ever be as bad as Marineford. I haven't watched the episode yet, but I highly doubt it covered less than 17 pages. Monthly manga adaptations going at a 1:1 rate is a lot more reasonable than weekly series adaptations.

It's not quite that bad, but it was less than one chapter (and most of that was in the final two minutes). It was very stretched out. Not quite Marineford levels (I sad approaching, not at), but not that far off right now.

Soma

Eh, that wasn't half as bad as I was expecting based on the reactions. Lowered expectations I guess, but I always loved that Pixis speech from the manga. That said, it's unfortunate that the pacing has slowed down to a crawl. Lots of scenes from this and the previous episode could've been scrapped to make a completely competent single episode but I guess they're really adamant to have the first cour specifically end right before the
Scouting Legion
arc for whatever reason.

The animation studio was definitely a bit too ambitious when tackling this adaption and I think a season long break would do this production wonders.

DY_nasty

3 "slow" episodes isn't the end of the world.

Is it?

Someone tell me what to feel

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Is it?

Normally no, but the numerous reports of production difficulties and time constraints at Wit Studio seem to indicate that the increase in padding is a necessary measure to meet deadlines. It's likely that the remainder of the series is going to continue to be this slow as a result.

Hurley

I thought I found an anime to get back into anime but everyone is saying this show sucks now. Disappointing, but I guess expected. Sigh

Are you just going by peoples reactions to it or have you being seeing the episodes yourself?

Sure you might feel the same that the show has gone down hill but if you were into this show at the begging then at least watch the recent episodes and judge for yourself.

I thought I found an anime to get back into anime but everyone is saying this show sucks now. Disappointing, but I guess expected. Sigh

I don't think a few poorly paced episodes should make someone write off a show entirely. That kind of stuff happens. It's still a great series that's perfect for lapsed anime fans, and the pace is going to pick up. Whether people like the developments to come is another story, but it will definitely be interesting to see how non-manga readers react.

kewlmyc

Still can't believe that they're going to manage to put a fucking recap episode in this series. Even with all of this shit pacing. Why can't anime studios animate an entire cour before airing it on television. Creating the episodes while airing the episodes never seemed like a good idea. This series and Bakamonogatari are proof that that strategy doesn't work.

LiK

For sure. Or at least good direction, plotting, characterization, art/character/sound design, or a good anything in general but given that this is being directed by the Death Note and HOTD guy that might be asking too much

What's your recommendations? I'm still waiting.

Soriku

I get the impression that the people complaining about the pacing haven't watched a long Shonen before. Though I did want more to happen this episodes besides the speech. At least the ending was unexpected.

Besides that the biggest issue were the stills which I noticed more here than any other episode. They didn't even animate the billowing smoke, lolz.

Still can't believe that they're going to manage to put a fucking recap episode in this series. Even with all of this shit pacing. Why can't anime studios animate an entire cour before airing it on television. Creating the episodes while airing the episodes never seemed like a good idea. This series and Bakamonogatari are proof that that strategy doesn't work.

Judging by the sales of Bakemonogatari and how well Titan will probably sell I'd say they are shining examples of that strategy working. Why waste money animating things when people will gobble it up anyway? See also the Persona 4 anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I get the impression that the people complaining about the pacing haven't watched a long Shonen before. Though I did want more to happen this episodes besides the speech. At least the ending was unexpected.

Besides that the biggest issue were the stills which I noticed more here than any other episode. They didn't even animate the billowing smoke, lolz.

I used to have pretty much infinite tolerance for slownen (hell, I even watched all of the Bleach filler), but I just can't handle it now. For instance, I finally bailed on One Piece 500 episodes in thanks to what Toei did to Marineford.

I should probably reiterate that poor pacing alone didn't kill Attack on Titan for me, but the fact that the show is getting padded out specifically with things that I don't like (internal monologues, external monologues, and far too much angst in both) is forcing me to drop it for the manga.

Judging by the sales of Bakemonogatari and how well Titan will probably sell I'd say they are shining examples of that strategy working. Why waste money animating things when people will gobble it up anyway? See also the Persona 4 anime.

Monogatari actually makes some things worse in the disc releases! see: SHAFT infamously erasing Koyomi's abs because otaku were threatened by an actually attractive harem protagonist.

kewlmyc

The thing is, this isn't a long shounen. If it was a constantly airing anime like One Piece, Naruto, and Toriko, then I could understand the pacing. Those long running shounen have crap pacing so that they don't run out of source material. That's also why they have clip shows and filler. They don't get breaks, so they have to stretch the material out as long as they can.

Attack on Titan shouldn't have these problems since it's been confirmed to be only 2-cours. Of course they could come out with a second season sometime down the line, but that would give them enough time for the manga to get far ahead of them. With only animating 25 episodes at a time, they should not have to worry about pacing, yet we're getting a recap 14 episodes into the series and pacing so slow that one episode doesn't even cover a full manga chapter. It's disappointing.

Tamerlane

Banned
I watch anything. I'll check that out.

To add to this, if you're interested in AoT's pretense towards political sociology, I recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Unlike Titan, it doesn't bet everything on it's premise and is an unexpectedly well-informed portrayal of war (at least in terms of the mindsets behind it).

Soriku

But this isn't a long shonen; it's only going to be ~25 episodes.

For now.

I'm just saying that people are making out the pacing in the last 2 eps to be the worst thing ever or something, so I'm wondering how many people have watched One Piece, Bleach, Naruto?

I dropped the Bleach anime in favor of the manga because of its pacing (and I never do this) but I'm talking about tens of episodes with bad pacing, or filler arcs in the middle of an arc. 2 not so great episodes (in the pacing department) is nothing in comparison, though I still understand the complaints and not even covering one chapter in this episode is pretty bad, though that can be attributed to the troubles the animation studio is having now.

CorvoSol

Everyone should just watch G Gundam instead. There's literally nothing bad about G Gundam.

Anyway, this episode wasn't AS bad as I was expecting, based on people's reactions, mostly cuz I love Pixis. Still, I agree with the consensus that I need to see less dumbasses in a crowd shrieking in a hamfisted attempt to show what mob fear is like and more people flying around slicing the necks of giant naked people.

Akito

Episode 11
The pacing is still glacial but the episode was at least better than the last one, Pixis is indefinitely better than Armin at holding speeches.

Sarquiss_

Aside from the slow pace of the show I am still enjoying it a great deal. I wasn't expecting Eren to
lose control of this Titan power
. Next weeks episode should be good.

Kiryu

Do you mind me to post the animation spiderman scene of Eren and Mikasa gif from Episode 11?

EDIT: Oh someone did but mine's longer. I think so.

ilFwGs9B7NKKv.gif

Just watched the 1st 5 eipsodes and I love it but episode 5 - WTF! Like seriously, I knew the chances were slim of them being able to combat them but that was brutal. He can't be dead right?

Watching 6 now lol

duckroll

Y'all will be right back next episode. Even Duckroll and EviLore.

I haven't been watching for weeks now. :p

Edit: Making use of this post so I don't double-post.

Some extra news: http://shingeki.tv/news/archives/388

Apparently the recap episode airing on July 6 is not "really" episode 14. On July 12 there will be an early screening event where they will screen the recap episode (again?!) as well as the real episode 14, one day before it airs. This will be the first chance for fans to see the new OP/ED as well.

Arondight

I'm definitely done with this show. The glacial pacing and rampant animation corner-cutting has basically nullified any sense of enjoyment that Attack on Titan was giving me, which still wouldn't be much at this point because my tolerance for every character being a RAW BUNDLE of EXPLOSIVE EMOTION engaging in pants-on-head dumbshittery for the sole purpose of ginning up conflict has completely evaporated.

I'm still going to catch up on the manga because a.) I'm still kind of engaged by the part of the narrative that directly involves the conflict against the Titans and b.) it's a significantly smaller time investment for more content than what I'd have to put into the remainder of the anime, but the animation production is easily at clusterfuck status and the stretching and stalling only serves to exacerbate the worst aspects of the narrative and its characters.

Agreed.Was just about to write the same stuff on MAL. Animation that's a mess, Music that causes slight dissonance to the atmosphere and the pacing is awful. In my eyes, it's a pretty bad adaptation. Good shows sometimes have bad pacing admittedly but at least the good shows have interesting characters. As much as I love Shingeki No Kyojin, it's not really known for it's fabulous characters and the manga even has it's pacing issues as well.

They need The Power of the Cloud™ for infinitely more building variety.

Forget building variety, they need the power of cloud to animate the important scenes that actually add depth to the anime rather than use stills.

Is it?

This is one of the biggest events in the manga and the fact that there are pacing issues already of being slow isn't a good sign at all. After this event, the pacing issues are only going to get worse as some have already mentioned.

DY_nasty

I was being entirely sarcastic for the record.

The episodes were slow but at least the cast isn't dicking around on some deserted island trying to understand how a black guy got his entire anatomy bonded to a box /one piece.

I'm more okay with the pacing being bad than idiotic filler being inserted randomly. If we're going to make comparisons then the show is still significantly better than the recent amazing shows that will #saveanime.

kirblar

The thing is, this isn't a long shounen. If it was a constantly airing anime like One Piece, Naruto, and Toriko, then I could understand the pacing. Those long running shounen have crap pacing so that they don't run out of source material. That's also why they have clip shows and filler. They don't get breaks, so they have to stretch the material out as long as they can.

Attack on Titan shouldn't have these problems since it's been confirmed to be only 2-cours. Of course they could come out with a second season sometime down the line, but that would give them enough time for the manga to get far ahead of them. With only animating 25 episodes at a time, they should not have to worry about pacing, yet we're getting a recap 14 episodes into the series and pacing so slow that one episode doesn't even cover a full manga chapter. It's disappointing.
Two things look to be in play:

1) They obviously did not give themselves enough lead time on the series. They're buffering the action with lots of easy-to-animate long stretches because of it, and this includes the recap episode. At his point, a short mid-point hiatus at Ep13 would probably do them some good, but I don't expect it.

2) They're totally going to find an "ending point" and wait for an S2 to follow up. I'm not even spoiled, and it's blatantly obvious we're still early in Act I of the series. Bleach's insane popularity and lack of backlash in going on hiatus has paved the way for other properties, and it's a far better option than doing an FMA v1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom