• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

You know what, I'll actually take back what I said about the videogame. The controls are pretty great and titan slaying is relatively easy.

Soule

Oh man, I just watched the episode. Was like watching paint dry, if that boulder is gonna move I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime. Was so pumped after the first few episodes and this is really killing my enthusiasm.

Subitai

Part of me doesn't mind because I like all of the characters. It is too bad though because the first few episodes were so good.

Starting the episode now. You could skip the previous two and just watch the 'previously on' in this week's episode and be completely fine, lol. God I hope this episode is more than twenty minutes of the show spinning its tires again.

I was hoping they'd pull a full metal alchemist and ditch the story of the manga and go their own way. Manga is no where near done, and they won't finish it by the time the anime catches up. I'm hoping for a FMA repeat. Do your own thing till the manga ends, then come back and reanimate it to do the mangas story. The manga has slow pacing as well I feel.

Subitai

I was hoping they'd pull a full metal alchemist and ditch the story of the manga and go their own way. Manga is no where near done, and they won't finish it by the time the anime catches up. I'm hoping for a FMA repeat. Do your own thing till the manga ends, then come back and reanimate it to do the mangas story. The manga has slow pacing as well I feel.
It is too late for that though? In any case, we won't know until Trost ends.

Kinyou

Currently they are really moving slow. Basically just one plot point gets resolved per episode. I'm predicting that they entire next episode will be about Eren lifting up that boulder. And the entire episode after that will be about him carrying it to the gate.

12:

Okay, they got over their talky phase. The previous two episodes could easily have been condensed into one, but at least they seem to be over it. Now it's back to action. This is good. The show as it it's best when there's a bunch of action going on and we don't have to think too much about the story or about how Mikasa wants to bone her adoptive brother or a variety of other things which aren't pertinent to people swinging around on cables, flying around in the air, and impaling giants in the back of the neck with swords.

i checked out some of the manga and man, the art is pretty ugly compared to the show.

It's a manga vs. an anime. The art on the anime is often going to be better. Exceptions like Berserk are out there, and I daresay Aku no Hana looks better in manga form, but for the most part... Anime art > manga art.

Hrothgar

These last 3-4 episodes have been torture with the slow progression. At this point they could have probably filled an entire episode with shots of people's faces looking constipated/scared out of their mind.

LiK

It's a manga vs. an anime. The art on the anime is often going to be better. Exceptions like Berserk are out there, and I daresay Aku no Hana looks better in manga form, but for the most part... Anime art > manga art.

One Piece and Naruto manga looked pretty identical to their anime counterparts. So I'm used to that. Attack on Titan's manga art looked pretty dreadful compared to the anime. Happy the guy's work got recognized tho cuz he has some cool ideas.

Yonafunu

One Piece and Naruto manga looked pretty identical to their anime counterparts. So I'm used to that. Attack on Titan's manga art looked pretty dreadful compared to the anime. Happy the guy's work got recognized tho cuz he has some cool ideas.

Funny story, I actually started reading AoT's manga when chapter 1 first got scanlated, but clicked away after a few pages because I couldn't stand the art. It took me a long time to actually go back and continue reading.
So be glad the anime exists, it's a much better way to experience the story.

sn00zer

Im trying a new drinking game this weekend with attack on Titan.
Basic rules so far

Sips:
-someone stares wide eyed and blanklessly off into the distance (two sips if their irises are shaking)
-Every time there is an inner monologue
-Keep drinking through the entirety of a flashback
-You think to yourself "Why the fuck dont they just rocket out of the way?"
-Anytime a soldier wants to run away
-Any time there is a painted still frame

Finish your drink:
-Someone collapses to their knees
-Someone dies or is mamed unexpectedly

Shots:
-first titan goes down
-a plan actually works

Kinyou

Basic rules so far

Sips:
-someone stares wide eyed and blanklessly off into the distance (two sips if their irises are shaking)

Finish your drink:

Shots:
-first titan goes down
-a plan actually works
Bottle:
-Realizing that the climax of the episode was someone holding a speech.

Basic rules so far

Sips:

Finish your drink:

Shots:
-first titan goes down
-a plan actually works
Even Superman would fall before the end of a single episode.

sohois

Basic rules so far

Sips:

Finish your drink:
-Someone yells something which could have been spoken

Shots:
-first titan goes down
-a plan actually works

CorvoSol

The pacing is terrible, I feel like this arc should have been completed two episodes ago.

Because it should have. They've literally stretched three scenes into three episodes. There was no need for 20 seconds to be 18 minutes in episode 10, let alone all the walking and doing nothing in episode 11. Episode 12 teased us, then made the main characters stand around and stare as the other main character literally sat on his ass for 20 minutes.

Foxix Von

In the video game thread someone asked me this but the thread got closed so I'm posting this here. A disorganized shamble of angry words.

What didn't you like about it? What sort of anime do you usually dig?

Just curious. I have a friend who was trying to get me into it recently. We watched a couple of episodes and it seemed alright (was pretty wigged out by the awful monsters though).

Well I actually did like some of the character drama in the first two episodes. Where it falls apart is how contrived the show is to generate that drama. A lot of the problems I have with it boil down to inconsistent art design and writing that's dodgy as fuck. The actual direction is pretty good and it's got moments of pretty alright animation. Once again though the context for all that stuff taking place is just so... bad and poorly thought out.

Art and world design is just a mess all around. They live in medieval inspired villages all within the walls, and most of the villagers dress as such but the military itself dresses like it's from WW2 or something. The titans themselves are just... laughable, they aren't actually threatening or interesting to look at in any way. They're just kind of ugly and not in the kind of a way man eating giant should be ugly. It's less cyclops ugly and more clown in a circus ugly.

I can't tell what kind of technology they're supposed to have. I'm assuming they have steam boats, and cannons but they're also capable of producing modern steels and compressed air canisters and things. This makes no sense.

I wouldn't nit pick so much if the elements of the walls and the technology they use weren't such a focal point of the show. The main problem is with the layout of the city. It's specifically designed to ward off titans but it couldn't be any more vulnerable. It's obviously taking cues from ye olde castle designs but the problem there is that those old fortresses had the outer wall being the most well defended, and for good reason.

The problem here is that the outer wall is the weakest of all the walls and also the shortest. Not to mention the little domes that jut out of each wall to lure and funnel in giants are poorly designed as well. Why wouldn't they build something like this into a mountain side? Being built in the middle of nowhere means they're not protected by any geography. They're open to attack from all angles, and they're banking on those pockets on the outer walls to funnel giants in.

These flaws lead to the angst and drama of the show as the main character loses everyone because the city is so poorly built. Those jutting protrusions are specifically designed to be targeted and yet there's apparently exactly ONE evacuation route for the ENTIRE village. Of course this generates more artificial drama when there's this mad dash to close the single gate and townsfolk are left to die. This would never be designed this way, and the only reason it's designed this way is for maximum feels.

Once the outer wall is inevitably breached, because it's designed to be, guess what? All of their agriculture is in the outer ring. So basically they designed a city with an outer wall that's easily destroyed relative to the inner circles, incredible difficult to evacuate to said inner circles, and once the intentionally weakest wall is destroyed they've lost access to all of their farmland. Oh and what happens in episode two? OH LOOK EVERYONE IS STARVING BECAUSE THE TITANS CONTROL THE MAJORITY OF THEIR FOOD SUPPLY. Once again the only reason the city is designed this way isn't because of any sort of logic, it's because the writers need more feels.

I'm sorry but the whole setup is fucking contrived to drive artificial drama forward. Also I haven't seen much of the whole three dimensional movement system in action yet but in execution it seems exceedingly flawed. Most of the larger titans that are impervious to cannon fire, and I'm assuming would be the primary target of their specialized infantry, stand head and shoulders above most of the buildings in the city. I'm assuming now that in order to actually reach their faces or any thing above their titan nipples they're going to have to actually be grappling directly on to the titan rather than swinging past them via the buildings. (how those fucking mud brick and wood shacks are going to hold up and provide the support necessary for doing this repeatedly is a marvel in itself) So I'm assuming it's going to be a lot of this:
04g1Ua1.gif

And if I'm right, that's going to lead to an absolutely draw dropping number of casualties.

I hate this show. Fuck this thing, give me my pizza rolls.

Pop

Series started out great, fast paced, more action that sorta thing. But now in these last couple of episodes it's been real stale for me and extremely slow. I'm trying to enjoy it but I will soon forget about it if it doesn't pick back up.

duckroll

You hate the show, EviLore hates the show, Kagari hates the show. I am sure even EatChildren who probably doesn't watch the show hates the show.

You think we plebs don't notice? You think it is hidden from us?!

What does that have to do with the thread getting locked? Lol.

TheLight

Series started out great, fast paced, more action that sorta thing. But now in these last couple of episodes it's been real stale for me and extremely slow. I'm trying to enjoy it but I will soon forget about it if it doesn't pick back up.
You're not alone there. It should pick up next episode, at least I hope it does.

EDIT: We know your game duckroll. Dat mod hate secret alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom