• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxix Von

He is saying when something is popular some people will find a reason to hate it, which you did I guess.

Yeah I got that. It's kind of a non statement though, really. I mean it goes without saying that if you have a large enough audience a certain percentage of that audience will find flaws. It just... goes without saying. So I took it to mean the more dickish response that "people will hate things because they're popular," since that actually seemed like something someone would say. lol.

Erigu

the outer wall is the weakest of all the walls and also the shortest.
Where does that come from?

Not to mention the little domes that jut out of each wall to lure and funnel in giants are poorly designed as well. Why wouldn't they build something like this into a mountain side?
They (as in "the people we see on the show") didn't build those walls. How could they, with all those titans?
Here are some better questions: "who built those walls?", "how did they build those walls?". Hell, "why exactly did they build those walls?" might actually be relevant as well.

Foxix Von

Where does that come from?

I could have sworn it was outwardly stated somewhere in the show, if not it's the general impression I got from watching it from shots like this:
Walls_zpsfb0a30b1.png

Even if I'm wrong it's still not doing a very good job of conveying its ideas well, lol.

They (as in "the people we see on the show") didn't build those walls. How could they, with all those titans?
Here are some better questions: "who built those walls?", "how did they build those walls?". Hell, "why exactly did they build those walls?" might actually be relevant as well.

Well considering how so much of the artistic themes are a drawing from a medieval period I understood this to be a technological dark age. Especially since certain technologies exist which are further ahead than they really should be. Which in my mind says they at some point did have the technology to do build something like this but lost the resources.

Again, even if I'm wrong here this is still poor and conflicting conveyance of themes and ideas.

Erigu

I could have sworn it was outwardly stated somewhere in the show
Nope. And compared to the colossal titan, Wall Rose and Wall Maria sure seem to be the same height.

certain technologies exist which are further ahead than they really should be.
Well, that's kinda of a tricky issue, there, isn't it? The world might remind us of our medieval times, but it is another world, with another history. And very different circumstances (and priorities), clearly. Not sure how one could determine which technologies "shouldn't exist". I mean, it's not like they've invented the cell phone but have yet to come up with the wheel or something outrageous like that, is it?
One thing that does bother me a bit is that they seem to be using some kind of gas for propulsion, and yet I'm not seeing any hot air balloon. At the end of the day, I guess it all depends on whether or not there was one clever person to actually invent the damn thing, but at the very least, there would be an obvious need for such a device (recon).

Foxix Von

Nope. And compared to the colossal titan, Wall Rose and Wall Maria sure seem to be the same height.
So basically what you're showing here is the show is incredibly inconsistent in it's internal logic? You don't say.

This is silly, you're being incredibly selective of my points here.

Well, that's kinda of a tricky issue, there, isn't it? The world might remind us of our medieval times, but it is another world, with another history. And very different circumstances (and priorities), clearly. Not sure how one could determine which technologies "shouldn't exist". I mean, it's not like they've invented the cell phone but have yet to come up with the wheel or something outrageous like that, is it?
One thing that does bother me a bit is that they seem to be using some kind of gas for propulsion, and yet I'm not seeing any hot air balloon. At the end of the day, I guess it all depends on whether or not there was one clever person to actually invent the damn thing, but at the very least, there would be an obvious need for such a device (recon).

Where in the show is it stated that this is another world altogether? As far as I could tell there's no indication either way of what the setting actually is. It's just vague fluff... like the entirety of what I've seen of the show.

Erigu

So basically what you're showing here is the show is incredibly inconsistent in it's internal logic?
... Nope? I'm not even sure how you got that from my post.

you're being incredibly selective of my points here.
Not really. You think it was stated, and it wasn't. And when the actual walls are shown to be the same height, does it really matter that much if that (clearly simplified, not-to-scale, etc) graphic seems to be indicating otherwise (frankly, I hadn't even noticed anything weird)?

Where in the show is it stated that this is another world altogether?
Not sure if serious...
They've been assaulted by titans for 100 years. Even if their world actually was ours before that point (and that's a pretty big "if"), it certainly hasn't been for quite some time.

Dali

Episode 12: still waiting for goku to return from snake way...or arrive on namek... or exit the hyperdimensional training room... or insert annoying shounen stall tactic/level up sequence. At least there was some action but the constant bickering and overanalyzation is really destroying the pace.

This anime had such an awesome start... I even convinced a bunch of friends to start watching it because I was pretty sure it would be the best anime of the year, but this pace is unsustainably boring. It had such a good George RR Martin phase, it seemed anything could happen, but now it is a lot like Naruto. I think I'm gonna start watching the episodes skipping forward to compensate.

Now I need something else to quench my dark fantasy thirst. Berserk and Claymore are not enough!

Tawpgun

The previous 3 episodes were horrendous. The last one was solid but it still feels like nothing happens.

Typical anime stuff. I don't watch anime much for this reason but I love the premise of this show. Wish they would capitalize on it more.

If you don't like this series, then why the fuck are you coming in the thread to bitch about it?

Yeah, the people who have been here since day 1 have to leave because the show has had a sudden fall in quality and now the fans should not express their opinion!!

Totally makes sense.

Not sure if serious...
They've been assaulted by titans for 100 years. Even if their world actually was ours before that point (and that's a pretty big "if"), it certainly hasn't been for quite some time.

During the flashback episode about Mikasa and Eren's first meeting, one of the kidnappers mentions "She looks Asian." When queried by the other man, he explains that "once, even humans had different races and cultures," or something to that effect. Could be a quirk of the translation, but from that I gathered that it takes place in some far-flung future Earth.

Not that it matters too much, anyway. I just found it interesting at the time.

BobLoblaw

Banned
So I actually got caught up to the most recent episode after marathoning all of them over two days. I really like it so far, but all of the whining, bitching, and crying is really starting to grate on my nerves. For those that have read the manga, is this something that continues for a long while or will it end soon?

RSLAEV

You know, I think the ending of episode 4 was the most "Fuck Yeah!" I've been about a cartoon in ages. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to be disappointed now that the anime has gone from that to a whole episode about Armin coming up with a plan, and that plan being to yell another plan as sincerely as possible.

It's a cartoon, not a sports team- I don't have to have some kind of strange emotional devotion to it when it takes a nose dive in quality because it "needs my support"

Dali

If you don't like this series, then why the fuck are you coming in the thread to bitch about it?
Because it's breaking our hearts? Go back to the episode 1 through 7 parts of this thread and people like me had a completely different tone. I got pretty pissed at the spoilers some people posted. There hasn't even been the opportunity for asshole to spoil anything lately as you can't spoil something that's already stale.

Coconut

Banned
So I actually got caught up to the most recent episode after marathoning all of them over two days. I really like it so far, but all of the whining, bitching, and crying is really starting to grate on my nerves. For those that have read the manga, is this something that continues for a long while or will it end soon?

So this is the first modern anime you've watched?

Because it's breaking our hearts? Go back to the episode 1 through 7 parts of this thread and people like me had a completely different tone. I got pretty pissed at the spoilers some people posted. There hasn't even been the opportunity for asshole to spoil anything lately as you can't spoil something that's already stale.
No there are plenty of things to spoil but I'm not gonna do it, so once the boulder moves it should get interesting again.

Dali

No there are plenty of things to spoil but I'm not gonna do it, so once the boulder moves it should get interesting again.
I was talking specifically about the most recent cluster of motion comics being pawned off as an animated series. It's clear there's lots more to be revealed. But I'd lmao if someone deemed it necessary to spoiler tag the non developments of the last handful of episodes.

Edit:
I wish we could spoiler gifs. I'd post something like "Aw man I can't believe what happened last episode
It's fucking nothing.gif

Soma

Oh wow, the whole OST is on that youtube channel (for the time being lol)

Some pretty good tracks so far. "Vogel im Käfig" is so good.

CorvoSol

Where in the show is it stated that this is another world altogether? As far as I could tell there's no indication either way of what the setting actually is. It's just vague fluff... like the entirety of what I've seen of the show.

I was under the impression that this was our planet. The description of the world beyond the Wall given by Armin sounds a lot like Earth. Hence things like an entire continent of snow and stuff.

Because this was the anime of the season, and now it isn't, and there's the vague, desperate hope that that changes in the future?

BobLoblaw

Banned
So this is the first modern anime you've watched?
No. I watched Jojo's Bizarre Adventure recently, but aside from that and AoT I watch Toriko, One Piece, Naruto, Fairy Tail, and Hunter X Hunter each week. Don't see what that has to do with my original question.

chrono01

State Body Machine Motion from the OST is so good. I can't stop listening to it.

The CD as a whole is amazing. I wonder what other tracks might become my favorite. If you're a fan of interesting, unique music, this OST is definitely recommended [and is available for a very cheap $30, not including shipping].

Edit - I'm now a fan of pretty much every song on this album [listening to DOA now]. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom