• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Finally an episode worth watching. Battle for Trost 5 through 8 were shit. Also recap episode next week? I'll see you guys in 2 weeks.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Great episode. Series has fully recovered - guessing the knowledge that a recap was coming up gave them time to do this properly. But yeah, really enjoyed this one. Episodes 1-8 and 13 are all amazing, episodes 9 and 12 are decent, and 10 and 11 are Dragon Ball Z filler level, I think would be my summation of this show so far.

RangerBAD

What's up with the weird pans in Shingeki 13? Am I the only one that noticed it? Never mind. My video is lagging in places. Don't know why.

kewlmyc

What's up with the weird pans in Shingeki 13? Am I the only one that noticed it?

Probably ran out of time. Will probably be fixed during the disc release.

Anyway, fun episode despite the weird pans. Too bad next week is a clip show. Hopefully they are able to catch up on the animation.

Also, since the anime censored it, the body that Annie was looking at was
Mina's

cLOUDo

new OP coming soon?
i hope not

iFMD9tOqqWKDD.gif

Akito

Episode 13
That's a wrap, the episode played out exactly as I was expecting. I still don't know where the boulder conveniently came from but eh.

Ultratech

Ep 13

Pretty good episode as we finally had something meaningful happen.

What was up with some of the weird pans and cuts though?

Too bad about the recap episode next week, but it was to be expected.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, episode 13 is certainly the best episode since episode 8 and an actually solid offering that entertained and was watchably paced. Really, if the more of the series was like this, the hype would have been justified. Of course, we all have to march through the dreadfulness of a recap episode.

Ep 13

Pretty good episode as we finally had something meaningful happen.

What was up with some of the weird pans and cuts though?

Too bad about the recap episode next week, but it was to be expected.

It gave me the impression that the chapter was rushed and they didn't have enought time to finish it properly, I saw several pans slowed down to make them longer and still shots with audio that didn't matched what they were showing, there were even those purple bricks that weren't properly painted.

Those poor animators must be working like 24hrs a day trying to finish these episodes.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, episode 13 is certainly the best episode since episode 8 and an actually solid offering that entertained and was watchably paced. Really, if the more of the series was like this, the hype would have been justified. Of course, we all have to march through the dreadfulness of a recap episode.

I think the hype was justified. I mean, a 9:2:2 ratio of good:average:bad episodes is great - not sure what anime you're watching if that's not hype-worthy!

Roubjon

I have a 48 hour Crunchyroll guest past, so if anyone wants it just quote me and I'll PM you the link. That way you can watch that OP in 1080p, because we all know that's the real reason we watch this show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think the hype was justified. I mean, a 9:2:2 ratio of good:average:bad episodes is great - not sure what anime you're watching if that's not hype-worthy!

No, nothing from this show has justified the calls of OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE GREATEST ANIME EVER! hype it has been getting.

Episode 13 – Primal Desires - The Battle for Trost (9)
BN-O_15CMAAo3jt.png

Finally it is hitting its stride once again. Sure the four minute recap felt way too long and kind of unnecessary considering we've been watching this battle for nine weeks now and have in no way forgotten or needed to be reminded about what had transpired, but time with Jean Kirsten company as well as Eren retrospective made it easily worth it. Im quite pleased with it all though was saddened...
Marco being offed already was quite shocking. I thought he was actually one of the more capable members of the crew but then to be done like that offscreen was unfair to him as well as to us. At least he wasn't ingested. I hope Jean can recover.

I hope the next arc is a bit more focused, condensed, and faster paced.
I think they are being too ambitions with wanting to completely recover that whole area, which also seems like it cant be done in the time allowed. And could Eren really go against a Colossal or Armored Titan? Though with him serving directly under Rivaille it could be possible if they work together, support one another, and make up for each others weaknesses. Good voice for him and matches the personality...and I can easily see how he and Eren have commanded the majority of doujins

kirblar

So, with the week off, what's a good sampler of recent (past 5 years or so) anime series to try out?

Turned HunterxHunter off 20 second into the credits, got through some sci-fi anime about weird space squids and earth last night, which I'll hunt down again tonight for Ep2.

Episode 13 -

A lot of random missing shots this episodes. I can't believe they cut out Annie being awesome. She hasn't done anything all series and they cut it out.

Both Oath Sign and To The Beginning are fantastic songs. I don't see any reason to try and rank one over the other since they sound so different.

Both EDs for F/Z are fantastic too, but the hidden gem of the series is Manten, the song used as the ED for episodes 18/19, better known as
"Kiritsugu Begins".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cknbpy2WZB8

Fuck yes. Someone else that appreciates Manten.

So, with the week off, what's a good sampler of recent (past 5 years or so) anime series to try out?

Turned HunterxHunter off 20 second into the credits, got through some sci-fi anime about weird space squids and earth last night, which I'll hunt down again tonight for Ep2.

20 seconds into the credits of episode 1? Because the beginning (and ESPECIALLY the OP) is very misleading in showing just what kind of series HxH is. It gets really friggin dark. And I don't mean that in the "dark things happen when you think about them, but kids wouldn't get that" way. I mean in a straight up "this is fucked up" way, especially the most recent arc, which is comparable to Attack on Titan in many ways. Also, the action and animation are top-notch, giving us some fantastic fight scenes.

Anyway, regarding more recommendations, what kind of stuff do you like?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I have mentioned Fate/Zero and Jojo's Bizzare Adventure before, add to that list Stiens;Gate, Modaka Magica, Durarara! and Baccano!

Off the top of my head there's Fate/Zero, Katanagatari, Madouka Magica, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012 version). What I tend to do is just look at the yearly "GAF Anime of the Year 20XX" threads and just pick and choose from the various descriptions.

Here's 2010~2012 :

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510801
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459981
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439791

~~~~

LOVED this week's episode. I can't say I disliked the last 2 episodes as much as other people here mainly because I went about 5 weeks without seeing any Shingeki and just breezed through everything in the span of a single afternoon but this last episode was most certainly one of the best so far. Shame next week is a recap.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No, nothing from this show has justified the calls of OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE GREATEST ANIME EVER! hype it has been getting.

Eh. Not greatest ever, no, but certainly a contender for the best of the last 2-3 years. It's this, Hunter, or JoJo.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Eh. Not greatest ever, no, but certainly a contender for the best of the last 2-3 years. It's this, Hunter, or JoJo.

You miss the Fate/Zero and that is certainly in the contendership. Also, Once Piece if fans of that show are to be believed.

Heh, Hunter x Hunter and Gargantia are both very different from what their opening episode suggests.Though the former may require too big a time investment before it really shines.

kirblar

20 seconds into the credits of episode 1? Because the beginning (and ESPECIALLY the OP) is very misleading in showing just what kind of series HxH is. It gets really friggin dark. And I don't mean that in the "dark things happen when you think about them, but kids wouldn't get that" way. I mean in a straight up "this is fucked up" way, especially the most recent arc, which is comparable to Attack on Titan in many ways. Also, the action and animation are top-notch, giving us some fantastic fight scenes.

Anyway, regarding more recommendations, what kind of stuff do you like?
Before Attack on Titan, I think the last anime I got into was FMA: Brotherhood. I just like relatively well-written, serious stuff. (Hence why HunterxHunter turned me off- it looks like some unholy spawn of Pokemon and JoJo's.)

PG2G

Heh, Hunter x Hunter and Gargantia are both very different from what their opening episode suggests.Though the former may require too big a time investment before it really shines.

Well worth it though, Hunter x Hunter is probably in my top 10 anime of all time (i'm counting the original and the current one together tho).

Attack on Titan isn't in the same class

Soriku

Before Attack on Titan, I think the last anime I got into was FMA: Brotherhood. I just like relatively well-written, serious stuff. (Hence why HunterxHunter turned me off- it looks like some unholy spawn of Pokemon and JoJo's.)

wat. HxH is nothing like Pokemon or Jojo lol.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 13

Man, it's really sad what happened to this show; the rushed schedule has really impacted the potential of the show. Even in this episode there were a number of incoherently edited scenes that were obviously not finished in time for airing. And what makes it sad is that it's obvious that this is a labor of love for a lot of the people working on this show, but there's just not enough time for them to realize their efforts. Hopefully the show is profitable enough and the producers have enough vision to release a Director's Cut with a bunch of stuff fixed some time in the future.

That said, this was a substantially better episode than the previous ones in pretty much every way. The pacing was finally good, and the climactic moment of the arc was handled with the appropriate care and gave the proper feeling of
desperate sacrifice and triumph.

HxH is nearly 100% serious after the first few arcs. There's a reason people call it a deconstruction of standard shounen series.

I'm going to need a bit more information about what you like, like genres and stuff. Well-written and serious are pretty vague qualifiers. I'd recommend more stuff in the same genre as FMA, but many people would consider a lot of it poorly-written, so that won't mean much.

kirblar

HxH is nearly 100% serious after the first few arcs. There's a reason people call it a deconstruction of standard shounen series.

I'm going to need a bit more information about what you like, like genres and stuff. Well-written and serious are pretty vague qualifiers. I'd recommend more stuff in the same genre as FMA, but many people would consider a lot of it poorly-written, so that won't mean much.
Looking through the top 10 lists.... I think I may just be in short supply, lol. (Sooooo much HS drama.)

Looking through the top 10 lists.... I think I may just be in short supply, lol. (Sooooo much HS drama.)

You mean the AOTY threads?

2012: 4 high school shows
2011: 3
2010: 2 (I will not count Drrrr even if it has a few HS characters)

High school wasn't even the main focus in most of these, so not sure what you're talking about.

Branduil

Well, someone has already linked to the AOTY threads from the previous three years. That's mostly a good place to start, with a few exceptions.

There have been a number of very good shows in the last few years, such as

Hyouka

Fate/Zero

Kids on the Slope

From the New World

Bunny Drop

The Tatami Galaxy

Time of Eve

You're also welcome to ask for recommendations in the community anime thread.

duckroll

That gif is true art. ;_;

I hope Wit Studio doesn't die making the new OP/ED. It would be a waste if all they could salvage from the recap break is time to make those. Lulz.

Branduil

That gif is true art. ;_;

I hope Wit Studio doesn't die making the new OP/ED. It would be a waste if all they could salvage from the recap break is time to make those. Lulz.

They should just not make a new one. They're never going to top the first anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom