• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

I admit, the thought actually crossed my mind =p

Considering the logic of the series ... it makes as sense as any.

...unless they introduce a dude who is from the traveling corps who actualy don't have his skin and/or has an incredibly small head =P

Everyone knows it is actualy
Armin who is the female titan

Armin is a dude, dude. Why would Armin be a girl? Do you see him as a girl? Armin is a guy, not a very manly guy, but, he's a guy, he isn't a girl. Do you understand, Armin is a guy.

Armin is a dude, dude. Why would Armin be a girl? Do you see him as a girl? Armin is a guy, not a very manly guy, but, he's a guy, he isn't a girl. Do you understand, Armin is a guy.

arminfruit8pou4.png
Mikasa-pomegranate, Eren-walnut, Armin-cucumber.

Akito

Episode 15
Science!!!

Also there were almost no stills this time, there were no action scenes either but I'll take that as a good sign.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 15: If only all of the slower paced episodes were like this, then we really would have a show that could stand among the great. As it is, these episodes really do serve to highlight how the Defense of Trost arc just went to shit. We begin to get some insight into not only the Surevy Corps but indeed the delightfully insane Major Hange Zoë and her experiments on The Titans. There is duplicity afoot however and criminals arise to end such actions.
Also, I wish I could get exicted about the future to the rest of the Trainee Squadron and their future choices, but the new OP and EP kind of told me that they will all be Survey Corp members.
At any rate, I am still enjoying the set up to this new arc and I hope that things stay on track.

So, Episode 15.

SCIENCE. EXPERIMENTS.

Never thought i'd say it, but whoever killed those Titans are fucked up. Hanji's reaction was like..........holy crap. She's freakin' interestin'.

This Arc should be FUN.

Narag

Attack on Titan 15

I was surprised they decided to buck show tradition and opted to make an episode that didn't suck.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't like the episode too much, the previous one was better in terms of pacing.

kirblar

So, Episode 15.

SCIENCE. EXPERIMENTS.

Never thought i'd say it, but whoever killed those Titans are fucked up. Hanji's reaction was like..........holy crap. She's freakin' interestin'.

This Arc should be FUN.
Per the comment at the end (what enemy do you see?), I'm guessing that they were killed because someone doesn't want them finding out that there's real people inside.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Think of this show as a mecha-anime. Eren is piloting a giant gundam made of Flesh. Thats how I pictured it. Eren is Amuro Ray, the hot blooded pilot of the Human Titan Gundam.

That was a huge turn off for me heh.

The first 5 episodes are amazing: there's an overwhelming sense of dread, despair, hopelessness. Humanity is about to be wiped from the planet by the most horrible method of being eaten one by one.

Then Eren, so far the series protagonist, get's eaten.

If it had continued along these lines, it would be so good.

Instead, Eren comes back from the dead and it's now a mecha show. And not even the first flesh mecha, EVA did that first so yeah.

Still I really like the setting and mistery of the plot so I turned my attention to the manga instead.

JulianImp

Instead, Eren comes back from the dead and it's now a mecha show. And not even the first flesh mecha, EVA did that first so yeah.

Except it isn't originally hidden and only revealed as part of a spoiler-ific plot twist, like it was in Evangelion.

I don't actually see so many things in common between SnK and Eva. Even though protecting the center of something (the humans' domain in SnK, NERV HQ in Eva), the former show's plot is moving away from that and more into a "what are we up against?" mindset.

The central theme I felt from watching Eva was one of introspection, and how everyone avoided their own fears and traumas through different ways (escaping from their issues, severing their bonds with others and projecting their own issues onto others, for example). Meanwhile, Shingeki no Kyojin made me think more about hopelessness at first, and now about how it looks like nearly everybody has their own agenda, all while Eren and company get taken for a ride by the others' schemes.

...But I digress. Anyway, back to Ep 15:

Learning about the people that make up the Recon Corps' elite squad was quite interesting and the pacing felt about right. Sasha II is certainly quirky, and that shot where Levi opened a window to start the cleaning of the castle made me chuckle.
I think they're trying way too hard to make the short-haired blonde guy a typical cryptic foreshadowing exposition character, but the others were okay.
It makes sense that the titans were killed the night before Sasha II was scheduled to do her second test on (and with Eren on toll, even), but I'm not sure how many people were supposed to know that, which makes pointing out the perpetrator/s way too hard for now. If we assume that the fact that Eren was going to the test was one of the things that prompted the hit, then the list of suspects could be narrowed down to the recon guys that were in the room with Eren before Sasha II arrived and made her request. That's a pretty bigh assumption, though, so it's likely to be wrong.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Except it isn't originally hidden and only revealed as part of a spoiler-ific plot twist, like it was in Evangelion.

Yeah I don't know, I just would have preferred if the manga, anime, whatever, would have kept to the first episodes themes of dread, despair, the looming extinction of mankind... it was really good. Now it's more like.. I don't know, more like everything else, less unique.

JulianImp

Yeah I don't know, I just would have preferred if the manga, anime, whatever, would have kept to the first episodes themes of dread, despair, the looming extinction of mankind... it was really good. Now it's more like.. I don't know, more like everything else, less unique.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. The events culminating in Eren's death really caught my interest, but after that it became a more typical shounen series. Sadly, that couldn't be helped, since it is a series aimed at the shounen demographic.

Still, I think we could go back to the feeling of dread sometime later. Right now, we have titan-Eren surrounded by the elite members of the recon squad, so it's unlikely that he himself will run into trouble, but it's likely that the show will find ways to remind us that anyone but the three MCs can die. All we need is to get some of Eren's squadmates in trouble and have the episode narrated partly from their PoV to make the feeling of dread creep back in.

It also seems like the show so far is focused on following Eren's PoV except for very short time lapses or special exceptions (ie: the episode that explored Mikasa's past), but I would like to get some episodes from Armin or Mr Leader's point of view (the guy who was friends with Marco, I mean). If any of them would've gotten into the other two corps it would've been interesting to see how those places were like from the inside, and how the different military branches' worldviews could (re)shape the character's beliefs (even if it could lead to some cliche-bait if it wasn't handled right).

Pretty good episode, but I’m finding it odd that the episodes aren’t focusing more on getting to Eren’s basement. I mean you think that would be the number one priority.

Azulsky

Well they have to complete a mission with him outside the wall for the Scout/Survey corps to officially be given control over him as per that military tribunal episode.

BY2K

Membero Americo
How do they not see the connections, here?

Eren turns into a Titan, when he gets out he emerges from the nap of the TItan's neck. The Titans only weakness is that exact same spot.

It's a puzzle for the 2 to 6 months old, there's only 2 pieces!

RoyalFool

Banned

Eren turns into a Titan, when he gets out he emerges from the nap of the TItan's neck. The Titans only weakness is that exact same spot.

They should have made them come out the anus, then the whole show could be about tiny people performing kancho on giants!!

Also having read the manga -
the obvious answers are not always the right answer
which is one of the things that keeps me reading/watching.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On the other hand, given Hange has done numerous experiments on Titan bodies including experimenting on their weak spots, and given how many soldiers have cut Titan napes, I think we can assume that most Titans don't have human "pilots" in the way that Eren Titans do.

If I'm wrong about this then fuck this show because that would be the worst plot hole ever.

NEO0MJ

While I doubt a human is in the neck of regular titans, something most definitely is.

Hurley

On the other hand, given Hange has done numerous experiments on Titan bodies including experimenting on their weak spots, and given how many soldiers have cut Titan napes, I think we can assume that most Titans don't have human "pilots" in the way that Eren Titans do.

If I'm wrong about this then fuck this show because that would be the worst plot hole ever.

Well you would think that if that was the case then every time a titan was killed they would see a little human skeleton there along with the actual titan skeleton so yeah I can't really see that being the plot twist. Well, I fucking hope not anyway.

Kyon

Banned

Well that wouldn't make sense because Eren's Titan doesn't eat humans from what we've seen. Also titans always try to kill him in that firm. So I'm guessing if there are others like him then it would be the same?

RoyalFool

Banned
I think the Titans were some sort of weapon made by a destroyed civilization which went out of control. I suspect as they go further outside the wall they'll start to discover hints of the previous civilization and it's downfall which will in turn lead to them understanding the origins of them.

As for the human control titans, my theory is that they tried to fight the out of control titans by creating a new type of titan that was controlled by a human - but they failed to perfect it and they all eventually lost their humanity. Would be awesome if all of the special titans we see now trying to attack the city were once protectors of their own (long lost) cities who have gone mad. If so the story will probably become about the struggle of Eren to keep his humanity long enough to stop whatever is controlling the titans, probably going into the capital of the old destroyed civilization and shutting something down.

Then of course, it'll end with Mikaka becoming my waifu.

I suspect the Wall Church or whatever those guys are called, have something to do with this. All we know about them is that they exist. They haven't done anything of value so far into the story but why even introduce them if they don't play a role.

As the doctor said, the way we perceive titans could be all wrong, or something along those lines. Maybe the wall church has brainwashed people without them even knowing.

WillyFive

Episode 15 was pretty lame. Between this and 14, all momentum from the first 13 episodes have been lost.

Pretty good episode, but I’m finding it odd that the episodes aren’t focusing more on getting to Eren’s basement. I mean you think that would be the number one priority.

Yeah, it feels like filler.

Azulsky

I just got my friend to watch and he said the same thing.

This part is the dip of the series, from this point on its pretty much straight action if they stick to the manga 100%

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Incidentally, I'm willing to bet large amounts of money there is something special about the Walls. There's been too many Chekkhov's guns in regard to seemingly minor thing concerning the Walls. I reckon the Walls have something very important to do with the Titans - built by human-Titans maybe?

Soriku

I suspect the Wall Church or whatever those guys are called, have something to do with this. All we know about them is that they exist. They haven't done anything of value so far into the story but why even introduce them if they don't play a role.

As the doctor said, the way we perceive titans could be all wrong, or something along those lines. Maybe the wall church has brainwashed people without them even knowing.

I'm just wondering how or why these dudes gained influence to begin with. Armin said that they barred the placement of manned artillery on the Walls for a while. Though it could be something as simple as people are delusional because of the Titans and really believe that the Walls came from God and such.

Hurley

I'm just wondering how or why these dudes gained influence to begin with. Armin said that they barred the placement of manned artillery on the Walls for a while. Though it could be something as simple as people are delusional because of the Titans and really believe that the Walls came from God and such.

Money/power would be my guess. They probably gained a lot of influence just by being a religious group and obviously the general population would be scared and seeking guidance and answers from them and of course they would have the answers such as the walls coming from God etc

Just my take anyway.

NEO0MJ

Incidentally, I'm willing to bet large amounts of money there is something special about the Walls. There's been too many Chekkhov's guns in regard to seemingly minor thing concerning the Walls. I reckon the Walls have something very important to do with the Titans - built by human-Titans maybe?

Yeah. While they probably aren't gods, somethings up regarding the walls. Aside from the long time it must have taken to build them, there's the question of manpower. You'd need an army of construction workers to build them, no way they could have not attracted and fallen to every titan from each corner of the world.

Hellix

Episode 15 was pretty lame. Between this and 14, all momentum from the first 13 episodes have been lost.

Well, that is how it usually is when you start a new arc, no? Episode 13 ended the Trost arc, and the past two episodes are building on this new arc. There's no action but we are learning more about the Titans and the characters in the Survey Corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom