• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Are you sure? Now I'm confused.
The steam didn't appear immediately after he escaped from Bitch Titan. It appeared just when he grabbed Armin.

There are plenty of examples of Titan blood evaporating (whenever they have time to animate it). Levi's blade, Mikasa's first kill, on the major's cape, etc...
Well I would assume so if the speculation about
Reiner being the one who told Annie the location of Eren is true. I think they know they're titans and they're working together. I kinda fits in place.........

Something is definitely up with that group of people in the credits.
I always found it odd that Ymir laughed at something inappropriate (I can't for the life of me remember what she was laughing about)

Almost none of the soldiers know Eren and Levi's location within the formation. It was discussed in one of the previous two episodes.

Almost none of the soldiers know Eren and Levi's location within the formation. It was discussed in one of the previous two episodes.

Hmm, I forgot about that. Well I'm still gonna say that they know they're titans and are all in on it somehow. That is if they even are titans!

Rad-

He wasn't crushed, the blood splats were from him cutting the titan's fingers.

I need to see it again but if I remember it right the titan already held him so that he wouldn't be able to move a inch of his arms to cut anything...

LogicStep

I assume he cut the four fingers tendons as he was grabbed so the titan couldn't crush him further and tried to use the thumb to finish him, then he did the spinning move and cut his way out.

He also came to the conclusion that
both the armored and colossal titans are also humans
on his own.

It's clear as day that he got fucked and came back with his attack to escape her grasp. Dude has to be a Titan.
And the female one looked just like Annie. I don't doubt in my mind the theory of the ending one side full of titans the other the normal kids. Now where did they get their powers and what is their purpose?

It's clear as day that he got fucked and came back with his attack to escape her grasp. Dude has to be a Titan.
And the female one looked just like Annie. I don't doubt in my mind the theory of the ending one side full of titans the other the normal kids. Now where did they get their powers and what is their purpose?

My speculation:

I bet they're brainwashed kids who got experimented on. Maybe something to do with those Wallists as well.

Kinyou

What we still don't really know is why
the female, armored and colossal all have their muscle tissue exposed like that. You'd think maybe because they might be controlled by humans, but Eren in titan form looked nothing like that.

Wonder what is up with that.

JulianImp

What we still don't really know is why
the female, armored and colossal all have their muscle tissue exposed like that. You'd think maybe because they might be controlled by humans, but Eren in titan form looked nothing like that.

Wonder what is up with that.

Perhaps it's that
they can will certain changes in their titan form's structure (ie: the boney torso Eren summoned to block a cannonball), choosing to remove their skin either to avoid being identified as easily or because everything they materialize in their titan forms costs "energy" (think in FMA terms, where Ed could mend Al's armor with alchemy at the cost of making it a bit thinner in other places), so they can forego their skin for stronger muscles, bone plate armor, etc.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Perhaps it's that
they can will certain changes in their titan form's structure (ie: the boney torso Eren summoned to block a cannonball), choosing to remove their skin either to avoid being identified as easily or because everything they materialize in their titan forms costs "energy" (think in FMA terms, where Ed could mend Al's armor with alchemy at the cost of making it a bit thinner in other places), so they can forego their skin for stronger muscles, bone plate armor, etc.

The only reason
Eren had that half-formed Titan during the cannonball scene was because he was still fatigued from killing all the titans around the former headquarters building. It drained him. That husk was all he could muster

iWl81ZCY4r8KR.gif
iblDORwW31tsTu.gif

JulianImp

The only reason
Eren had that half-formed Titan during the cannonball scene was because he was still fatigued from killing all the titans around the former headquarters building. It drained him. That husk was all he could muster

I think Eren himself mentioned he got strictly what was needed to do the job, and nothing more, but I could be wrong about that.

Attack on
Spoilers

That made me laugh, but yeah, the recent events have left us all wondering and speculating about lots of things, so it was to be expected that we'd fill this thread with spoiler-tagged discussions.

So yesterday I was curious to see what's up with all the hype with this show...when I was at Anime Expo last month every other cosplayer was either dressed up in that skinned titan skinsuit or sporting leather a jacket with some side jetpacks lol...so I guess there's something about it, eh?

I ended up watching the first 13 episodes on Hulu...I've never done such a marathon for a show in ages.

God, what a depressing show...but you can't help but keep watching an apocalyptic trainwreck lol =P

Collete

054Psyduck.png

Unless someone is an asshole, it's all just speculation at least.

Yeah but even speculation, it makes things less exciting if it does turn out to be true. It makes me think of things I didn't think possible (much of my excitement with this anime is finding out the impossible is true.)
If the female titan really does turn out to be Annie, I'm gonna be bummed out...
But ah well. What do I know? hah.

JulianImp

After last week's fiasco, I've stopped watching episode previews. It's more fun to try and guess what's coming rather than getting it spoiled a week in advance (unless it's a recap episode we're talking about, where it's best to be warned so you can avoid it entirely).

Anyway, back to spoiler-town:

I think the enemy's
possible
identity even made it to someone's unspoiled post, which means it was really hard to avoid.
Still, the character screams Annie to me, both from her hair/face, her pragmatic ruthlessness in combat and the fact she suddently left the protagonist's party on such a short notice. If the show had shown her doing some stuff on the other forces while the rest of the party was with the recon corps, at least it would've given her a slightly more believable alibi.

The speculation about the five people being titans could be really interesting if it's true, but I think throwing that many human-titans together in such a small group would make things a bit too chaotic.
For some reason, I skipped over Ymir's name, as well... gah, there're so many clues that could end up being red herrings!

Kinyou

Perhaps most of GAF seems to divided on either
Mikasa or Annie.

Personally my opinion is
Annie but I won't be surprised it was Mikasa.
At first I thought it was
Mikasa, but after reading the thread I really began to notice all the similarities between Annie and the Titan. Still, I think there's something going on with Mikasa. The moment before Titan-Eren rescued her (back in Trost) there were some weird closeup shots of bloodvessels pumping, as if something was about to break out. And when we saw how she killed one of the Kidnappers she also had this electricity around her body, similar to Eren when he's about to turn.(of course that might also just have been some anime style visualization that happened to look similar) But it would also make the most sense since she shared a home with Eren, meaning his father had the same access to her as to him. (ok, that sounded a bit creepy)

Perhaps it's that
Interesting idea, though
skin would be a rather small sacrifice for increased power.

JulianImp

Interesting idea, though
skin would be a rather small sacrifice for increased power.

I guess having skin on top of their muscles and bones isn't that useful, but I was just thinking about the application of being able to focus their energy into building specialized titan bodies depending on the task at hand.

It could also be that
the amount of resemblance a titan has to its "pilot" depends on the latter's skill and power
, or something along those lines, too.

My girlfriend is just about to see the episode 5 in the next 30 minutes.

So good... I almost could not hold myself with expectation to see her face with what is about to happen. :D

Let us know how it goes.

Love seeing/reading the reactions of that episode from unsuspecting viewers

LogicStep

Maybe they don't have skin because they are just straight up killing machines. I don't see any fat on them, pure awesome strong muscle.

JulianImp

Mikasa is a 1.5m class titan and has been in titan form the whole time.

This. I always felt like after the bandit incident she just learned to not hold back at all (that line about being perfectly in control of her actions comes to mind). I think her only weakness is Eren, but then again it's something that will very likely be leveraged against her someday (ie: taking him hostage or something). Luckily, Armin's around most of the time to make sure she doesn't act too harshly,
but now that they're in separate parts of the formation...

Even if
Reiner's case
isn't what it looks like, there must be some kind of link between that character and the enemies.

Heh, minimizing spoilers while making the context readable feels just like trying to write around gender-neutral speech regarding criminals in Detective Conan fansubs. I think giving some non-spoiler-tagged context to spoilers could be the way to go in order to make it easier for other GAFfers to tell what they're going to get if they reveal the spoilers.

daveo42

Banned
This. I always felt like after the bandit incident she just learned to not hold back at all (that line about being perfectly in control of her actions comes to mind). I think her only weakness is Eren, but then again it's something that will very likely be leveraged against her someday (ie: taking him hostage or something). Luckily, Armin's around most of the time to make sure she doesn't act too harshly,
but now that they're in separate parts of the formation...

Even if
Reiner's case
isn't what it looks like, there must be some kind of link between that character and the enemies.

Heh, minimizing spoilers while making the context readable feels just like trying to write around gender-neutral speech regarding criminals in Detective Conan fansubs. I think giving some non-spoiler-tagged context to spoilers could be the way to go in order to make it easier for other GAFfers to tell what they're going to get if they reveal the spoilers.

I think it's because she has no emotions left outside of wanting to protect Eren because he protected her. She only sees life as win and live or lose and die, so she fights to win no matter what, devoid of emotion. That's probably the reason why she doesn't hold back at all in combat. If she does hold back, she's not fighting to survive, which is all she knows.

The world truly is a harsh and unforgiving place.

Edit: She has a soft spot for Eren specifically because he taugh Mikasa all this and saved her life. Eren is the only point of emotion she has left in her cold and emotionless world. And it does burn red hot from time to time.

JulianImp

I think it's because she has no emotions left outside of wanting to protect Eren because he protected her. She only sees life as win and live or lose and die, so she fights to win no matter what, devoid of emotion. That's probably the reason why she doesn't hold back at all in combat. If she does hold back, she's not fighting to survive, which is all she knows.

The world truly is a harsh and unforgiving place.

Edit: She has a soft spot for Eren specifically because he taugh Mikasa all this and saved her life. Eren is the only point of emotion she has left in her cold and emotionless world. And it does burn red hot from time to time.

That's why I like her character a lot despite her rather flat appearance at first glance. Her coldness is a bit annoying when it comes to interacting with any character besides Eren, but I guess she could undergo some interesting character development if she isn't just used as Eren's bodyguard or supersoldier #2.

This whole thing about protecting Eren makes me feel like things will end up like Reyn and Shulk's relationship in Xenoblade Chronicles (game spoilers:
Reyn followed Shulk to protect him, but eventually realized his friend had grown strong enough that he was the one who was being protected
). What could happen if Mikasa can no longer fulfill her goal of being Eren's protector, but rather ends up becoming the one that needs protection from some of the stronger titans and/or enemy human factions?

Unbounded

Yeah, the hair and the nose. Only 2 characters, as far as I can remember, have a beak like that. Hanji and Annie. Only one of those two has blonde hair.

You don't even need that.

Just look at the eye. It was the EXACT same half-dead look in the eyes that Annie generally has.

Great ep. The anime did this much better than the manga.

huge spoilers ahead...

[huge spoilers indeed]
Should STRONGLY reiterate that you read the manga and your spoiler is something FROM THE MANGA.

Or just take that exact post out of this thread and move it to the spoiler thread where we're having a ball seeing these reactions.

Collete

Should STRONGLY reiterate that you read the manga and your spoiler is something FROM THE MANGA.

Or just take that exact post out of this thread and move it to the spoiler thread where we're having a ball seeing these reactions.

Was about to highlight it too, thanks for the warning.

daveo42

Banned
That's why I like her character a lot despite her rather flat appearance at first glance. Her coldness is a bit annoying when it comes to interacting with any character besides Eren, but I guess she could undergo some interesting character development if she isn't just used as Eren's bodyguard or supersoldier #2.

This whole thing about protecting Eren makes me feel like things will end up like Reyn and Shulk's relationship in Xenoblade Chronicles (game spoilers:
Reyn followed Shulk to protect him, but eventually realized his friend had grown strong enough that he was the one who was being protected
). What could happen if Mikasa can no longer fulfill her goal of being Eren's protector, but rather ends up becoming the one that needs protection from some of the stronger titans and/or enemy human factions?

There are a few points where the coldness does come out at comical, especially with Potato girl and the food sharing bits early on. I do hope that she softens up without really losing her physical edge.

I also don't it'll get to the point where she isn't Eren's protector. I feel that Armin fills that role too and think his role won't diminish as time goes on.

Edit 2: n/m

Konex wanted to apologize for posting spoilers. He didn't know you couldn't post spoiler tagged info.

Konex: didn't know u couldn't hide spoilers in a no spoilers thread.

Konex wanted to apologize for posting spoilers. He didn't know you couldn't post spoiler tagged info.

Konex: didn't know u couldn't hide spoilers in a no spoilers thread.
It's just no manga spoilers in a thread title that specifically says no manga spoilers. :\

I mean, I've read the manga, and it feels obvious to me that:

- no confirmations one way or the other on ANYTHING
- no clarifications based on information not yet revealed
- no hints that something specific is coming
- no completely huge major plot points from several episodes, maybe even a whole season away randomly mentioned in spoilers quotes as if it's no big deal

Although god help me, I deserve a ban if I miss something and ruin the experience for someone else.

FluxWaveZ

I mean, is it that hard to not discuss spoilers AT ALL in a thread where most people who visit are just following with the pace of the anime? There's a whole other thread for the stuff.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just getting into this show and i really dont see whats so great about it. It feels like Naruto and Bleach in the beginning when everything as new and interesting but give it time and it will wear out soon. Why do so many anime feel so slow, always about flashbacks in the middle of critical situations, protagonists crying and trying to be brave, always a girl that everyone is afraid of crossing, and the main character everyone hates then loves after he does the impossible or whatever.

I'll keep watching and hope it grows on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom