• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

donny2112

d+pad said:
Which, likely, is why Nintendo doesn't feel the need to release anything other than Wii Music and AC: City Folk in the lead up to Christmas. With these four games (along with Galaxy and SSBB), they're likely set until early 2009 (here and abroad).

And coincidentally, there are a lot of core games coming out in the first few months of 2009. :D

LiquidSwords said:
Oh, and 6.6 million copies of Wii Play makes me wanna barf

... with happiness! :D

_leech_ said:
Wow, the Wii version of Madden beat the Xbox 1 version this year.

Progress! :lol

Sir Fragula said:
Wait, really?

Opinions. It's what's for dinner!

polyh3dron said:
It pretty much confirms that the only non-rhythm game 3rd party games that can actually sell on the Wii are shovelware games and/or games that use some kind of IP from another medium.

Yay! It's exception time!

* 1st party games don't count
* Resident Evil games don't count
* Games I don't like don't count regardless of their appeal to other people

You already covered the "shovelware", licensed games, and music games. Did I miss any Wii specific exceptions?

Pimpbaa said:
Not just you, the majority on this board. The kinda people that would consider the wii to have the best games out of the three wouldn't be on this forum. Because they are non-gamers.

We're ghosts. Boo.
Scared ya', didn't I.

polyh3dron said:
I'd say that it's more like this gen's Xbox.

I've said before that I think it's like the GameCube, if the Xbox had never existed.

No6 said:
The obvious method would be metacritic comparisons to the (rarely) known top 10 lists for each console.

So you usually subvert your own opinions in favor of the group mind? :(

Leondexter said:
Sales clearly show that the majority does think the Wii has the best games, unless you think people buying the Wii are not buying it to play games...which would make you wrong.

:lol :D

Private Hoffman said:
I have a feeling that LBP will somehow make it in the top 10 in October, despite how ridiculously crowded and competitive that month will be.
Do you also "somehow" envision the PS3 outselling the Xbox 360 in October and November like your compadre earlier in this thread? :D

BTW, fellas... I've got more NPD sales data for you.

NCAA Football 09 {X360} - 62,400 (YTD total given = 460,000)
NCAA X360 > PS3+Wii

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 {X360} - 56,000 (August 26th-30th)
Tiger X360 > Tiger Anything Else

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17557/August-2008-NPD-Microsofts-Take/

The interesting quote to take away is this one...

Beginning last month with “Madden NFL 09,” Xbox 360 has a string of blockbuster titles, each expected to sell at least a million units, launching in the coming months including “Gears of War 2,” “Fable II,” “Guitar Hero IV,” “Rock Band 2,” “Fallout 3” and “Lips.”

Lips is predicted to be a million-seller? Really?
Should we kick off a Lips vs. LBP sales challenge?

AFreak

Banned
pakkit said:
More sister, less cousin.

l_db64a6d31a2feb58cdcf9f49334891de.jpg

This one is special to me.

l_640192b230ea5400092346edf58936-1.jpg

Night_Trekker said:
Fixed.

Also, why are you posting pictures of your relatives?

Thought you guys wouldn't mind.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Do you also "somehow" envision the PS3 outselling the Xbox 360 in October and November like your compadre earlier in this thread? :D

I'm not necessarily making any PS3/360 predictions. I imagine with the price cut the 360 will do better from here on out for the year, but it won't be a massive gap. I expect the PS3 to sell nicely even if it stays at its current price of 399.

If WiiFit/Mario Kart don't manage to really make any large increases in sales from what we are seeing now, then I think LBP should make it in the top 10. I predicted first month sales of LBP to be around 300-400k.

6.6 million copies of Wii Play sold makes me want to beat up every developer in the world who hasn't made a full-fledged Wii tank game...which would be all of them. Wii Play is great--for a demo. Making a full (WiiWare?) game out of Laser Pong (Hello, Atari!), billiards, or especially Wii Combat (Hello, again, Atari!) would be easy money.

Just imagine...Wii Combat, with all the old Combat tank modes (invisible, ricochet shots, etc), lots of maps and new weapon types, a map editor, and all new co-op and team deathmatch modes and online play...it could be huge, and probably cost about as much to make as it costs to make a commercial for most games.

Sigh...

mm04

Wow...I came for the numbers, but I'm staying for the pictures. I'm afraid of what I might see when I get up in the morning.

Ae the high def consoles doing bad considering the games are all 60 plus they tote overpriced add ons such as costly harddrives and expensive bluray movies and in the case of PS3 a hefty price tag

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I found his secret guys!!!!!

NVM

What all of these girls cant be your sister!!!!!!!!!!! Shenanigans.

AFreak

Banned
MThanded said:
I found his secret guys!!!!!

NVM

What all of these girls cant be your sister!!!!!!!!!!! Shenanigans.

Sister's friends. And hey, it isn't my fault they are hott. It's theirs.

NolbertoS

Wow..it's NPD time already..glad Wii is dominating like usual and can't wait to see next month's numbers and see how many people will eat crow, believing MS PR of Xbox360's flying of the shelves, etc, etc, etc, spin, spin....infinity. The NPD brings out the inner fanboy in everybody.

AFreak

Banned
And now for someone not related to me(legal or by blood). One of my friend's mothers(and if you are in this thread, sorry buddy...she is hott).

l_1d8ea3bf07f82fef6980e0b57db0a2e6.jpg

l_a5def2db4b4615b5613675dfd334c1de.jpg

l_b358ce093d6f56f270d6188ddabce1fc.jpg

l_f917418e9c21b0311d8aacf62fa22189.jpg

EDIT: Until I'm warned, more pics will have to be posted.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
For people asking about Tales of Vesperia, I just looked at the leaderboard and noticed that there are more than 70k names on the leaderboard. I know it isn't concrete, just throwing out what I see.

NolbertoS said:
Wow..it's NPD time already..glad Wii is dominating like usual and can't wait to see next month's numbers and see how many people will eat crow, believing MS PR of Xbox360's flying of the shelves, etc, etc, etc, spin, spin....infinity. The NPD brings out the inner fanboy in everybody.
I dont think its spin $200 is impulse buy zone, i already have a 360 and want to buy another at that price.

AFreak said:
And now for someone not related to me(legal or by blood). One of my friend's mothers(and if you are in this thread, sorry buddy...she is hott).

l_f917418e9c21b0311d8aacf62fa22189.jpg

wtf2.gif

pakkit

Banned
DMczaf said:
What the hell is going on in this thread?

Have I been Punk'd?
It's basically a countdown till the banhamma'. :lol

In other news, I hope the 360 sees a real boost next month so that the other companies have to think about (REAL, Sony) price cuts.

DrPirate

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I can't stop laughing. I've NEVER in the 2 or so years of reading GAF went into an NPD thread.

The first time I do and this is a blast. Bookmarking AAA thread, will read again.

AFreak

Banned
minx88 said:
Some guy posted pics of a semi decent good looking girls and all the nerdy GAFers are goin insane :lol

you know you're into it.

n27417697_36880921_8123.jpg

We needed some ethnicity.

DCFC0076.jpg

DCFC0075.jpg

DCFC0182.jpg

DCFC0118.jpg

Pics taken in Japan.

donny2112

jimbo said:
Explain to me WHY should, for example, EA shift games to the Wii, when:

1. Madden sold the same amount this year as it did last year, but the Wii's LTD is X3 last years.
2. Madden on the 360, even though it now has a smaller user base outsold it X9
3. Madden on the PS3 with not even half the user base outsold it x5.

WHY should they?

And they seem to be doing just fine on the 360 and PS3.

You just explained why they shouldn't shift more Madden resources to the Wii. They do have other franchises, you know. My Sims, Harry Potter, Tiger Woods, and (yes) Boom Blox have all sold great on the Wii. They've also gone on record as stating that they made a mistake betting on the PS360 this gen and are now playing catch up to get games on the Wii.

d+pad

Leondexter said:
Making a full (WiiWare?) game out of Laser Pong (Hello, Atari!), billiards, or especially Wii Combat (Hello, again, Atari!) would be easy money.

I think this needs to be stated again. The billiards game and the tank game have provided me with much more than $10 of fun (that sounds kind of wrong...), and the pong game is a blast, too.

Of course, many of us have asked for full versions of the Wii Sports games, too, and look where that has gotten us...

justchris

B-Rad Lascelle said:
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17557/August-2008-NPD-Microsofts-Take/

The interesting quote to take away is this one...

Beginning last month with “Madden NFL 09,” Xbox 360 has a string of blockbuster titles, each expected to sell at least a million units, launching in the coming months including “Gears of War 2,” “Fable II,” “Guitar Hero IV,” “Rock Band 2,” “Fallout 3” and “Lips

Lips is predicted to be a million-seller? Really?
Should we kick off a Lips vs. LBP sales challenge?

I... they... what?

AFreak said:

I would advise to quit while you're ahead.

Top Bottom