• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

Private Hoffman said:
Actually, it's quite clear that the price cut DIDN'T do that initially, given that the PS3 was still being outsold significantly. It certainly helped, but it by no means provided for the substantial changing of the tides that we saw in 2008.

It was only when those two factors came together and were resolved that we saw a substantial changing of the tides.

(1) MGS4 was a large bump for the month, but I'm not saying it was the main factor that changed the tides; honestly, it wasn't.
In 2007, Xbox 360 increased its lead over the PlayStation 3 in the United States by roughly 2 million systems or so.

Changing of the tides = PS3 still losing ground to Xbox over the course of the year but not by as much?

And why isn't The Prince of Tides out on BluRay?!?

pswii60 said:
Sorry I didn't do enough research.

You know I haven't suggested anything strange. There are many things that originate in one country, and are extremely popular elsewhere.

Baseball in Japan. Neogeo in Mexico. etc.

Now would you all kindly get off my nuts? Thanks.

pswii60

domokunrox said:
You know I haven't suggested anything strange. There are many things that originate in one country, and are extremely popular elsewhere.

:lol Chill the fuck out man.

Chrange

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:
In 2007, Xbox 360 increased its lead over the PlayStation 3 in the United States by roughly 2 million systems or so.

Changing of the tides = PS3 still losing ground to Xbox over the course of the year but not by as much?

Now now, stop poking holes in his insane "Sony will dominate 2008" theory.

909er

domokunrox said:

While this is true, I think, at least what I'm trying to point out is, that Karaoke remains extremely popular in Japan. Like, really, really popular.

domokunrox said:
No I was there.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but wasn't August the pricecut month of 20GB 360 models? They were cut by like $25-50, right? Can't remember right now.

The $50 cut on the 20GB 360 happened in July.

B-Rad Lascelle said:

If by 'losing ground' you mean actually up over the 360 by 300k so far for 2008, which is what we were discussing....you know, how the PS3 went from having an awful year in 2007 to one where it's actually making up ground?

nice of you and your xbox cat to join in on the discussion, tho!

Chrange said:
Now now, stop poking holes in his insane "Sony will dominate 2008" theory.

Sony doing better than the disastrous levels in 2007 = 'insane' Sony dominating 2008 theory? Did I say that? I've heard it all. Check your reading comprehension at the door.

OldJadedGamer said:
:( It's always the posters who talk the most shit and have the oddest projections for sales that will never take the ban bets...

You know why? Its not entertaining enough. When you made some sort of bet with someone at school, did you make predictions and the bet was you had to stay home for a week or month if you lose and I can't rub in your face until then? No, right?

turk128

mm04 said:
Wow...I came for the numbers, but I'm staying for the pictures. I'm afraid of what I might see when I get up in the morning.
34zlidf.jpg

Private Hoffman said:
If by 'losing ground' you mean actually up over the 360 by 300k so far for 2008, which is what we were discussing....you know, how the PS3 went from having an awful year in 2007 to one where it's actually making up ground?

Now see... I was factoring in what will inevitably unfold over the rest of the year. And you said earlier you weren't going to join your buddy with that PS3 > X360 in October & November prediction and yet here you are doing just that with your tide changing theory.

Now granted if you're including the rest of the world, then yes Sony is gradually gaining ground. But this is an NPD thread.

Nocebo

Private Hoffman said:

Sony doing better than the disastrous levels in 2007 = 'insane' Sony dominating 2008 theory? Did I say that? I've heard it all. Check your reading comprehension at the door.
300k gain in 8 months? That's pretty impressive. So about 38k a month... I'm speechless.

And, what are pictures of ugly relatives doing in an NPD thread? :\
Anyway, I'm beginning to think the OP needs some sort of disclaimer like:
"- hardcore gamers tend to buy games day one, casual sales are spread out over weeks / months.
- The top 10 software sales are only the top 10 of the software sales as indicated by the name top 10. The top 10 is not all the software that sold."

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Now see... I was factoring in what will inevitably unfold over the rest of the year.

And the discussion that you were responding to wasn't.

I'm not talking about speculation or assumptions.

And you said earlier you weren't going to join your buddy with that PS3 > X360 in October & November prediction and yet here you are doing just that with your tide changing theory.

My "change in tide theory" is for what we've seen so far in 2008. Regardless of what the 360 does (which, honestly, is irrelevant in the discussion of changing the tide; Year-over-Year figures are what I'm talking about, not relative position to the 360), the PS3 has been significantly up over last year, and I don't foresee that changing. Will the 360 do better than the PS3 overall in 2008? Sure, it could happen. Will it dominate like it did last year, selling 2 million more in the US (your figures, which I'm assuming are correct)? No, likely not. But again, that's irrelevant in the discussion of YoY.

Nocebo said:
300k gain in 8 months? That's pretty impressive. So about 38k a month... I'm speechless.

The 300k gain is its gain relative to the 360; again, may not be the most relevant or worthwhile stat to look at when you're looking at how better the PS3 is doing in 2008 as compared to 2007.

Year over Year, the PS3 is doing about 1 million better from January through August than what it was doing in 2007 (1.054 mil in 2007 compared to 2.019 mil in 2008 through August).

I was catching up on this thread... LMAO at the guy whoring out his "sister" and "cousin" before continuing to post most of the contents of his photo album. :lol

Private Hoffman said:
The 300k gain is its gain relative to the 360; again, may not be the most relevant or worthwhile stat to look at when you're looking at how better the PS3 is doing in 2008 as compared to 2007.

Year over Year, the PS3 is doing about 1 million better from January through August than what it was doing in 2007 (1.054 mil in 2007 compared to 2.019 mil in 2008 through August).

Is the 2008 PS3 competing for market share with the 2007 PS3?

If so, its doing awesome, crushing it really.

Private Hoffman said:
Here's a better one... how the PS3 and 360 were at the same point after release:

360: 6.2m
PS3: 5.2m

Chinner said:
Because when you see it, you will turn 360 degrees and walk away.
It's a good attempt... but I think you might need to work on your maths a little. :lol

Paracelsus said:
Not saying much, since USA are basically X360 stronghold this gen. Most of the userbase is here.
Well, yeah... but we were comparing US sales. Whether it says anything for the strength or weakness of the 360 on the whole is largely academic.

Nocebo

Private Hoffman said:
I'm pretty sure PS3 will come out on top (over x360 at least) when all is said and done. I believe the PS has a stronger name than xbox in most regions outside of America.

Psychotext said:
It's a good attempt... but I think you might need to work on your maths a little. :lol
Indeed. :lol

Luckyman

Banned
harSon said:
Decent sales for Too Human, should sell 500k worldwide easily. A disappointment but still strong enough sales to warrant a sequel.

:lol

Are you serious? MS will not sink any money into that franchise. And no one else will either.

Nocebo

Luckyman said:
:lol

Are you serious? MS will not sink any money into that franchise. And no-one else will either.
Didn't the developer say it was going to be a trilogy? With over 100k in sales I doubt that idea will be crushed. Worse selling games have gotten sequels.

Luckyman

Banned
Nocebo said:
Didn't the developer say it was going to be a trilogy? With over 100k in sales I doubt that idea will be crushed. Worse selling games have gotten sequels.

They need to sell millions.. to get any money back.

Jammy said:
Wait... why do people laugh at the Wii version of Madden?

Why don't we laugh at the PS3 versions of Guitar Hero, LEGO Indiana Jones, Tiger Woods, etc. etc.?

You don't want to be saying that kind of thing too often around these here parts. Catch my drift, pal?

Tim the Wiz said:
You don't want to be saying that kind of thing too often around these here parts. Catch my drift, pal?
Because Gaf is 360/ps3/wii biased and absolutley hates the 360/ps3/wii

Never bring up the 360/ps3/wii winning/losing, people will get angry.

Luckyman said:
They need to sell millions.. to get any money back.

Who is to say they won't worldwide? Remember the Rare launch games? They did quite well and we all thought they tanked because they didn't pull huge numbers launch day. I'm sure Microsoft will be making the game a greatest hit regardless, and Too Human at $30 is a good deal.

Luckyman

Banned
Nocebo said:
What do you know about their sales projections, internal plans, publishers, capital, etc?

MS didn't really seem to believe in Too Human. Where was all the marketing hype expected for something that´s going to be a big franchise. Looked like they gave up at some point.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jammy said:
Wait... why do people laugh at the Wii version of Madden?

Why don't we laugh at the PS3 versions of Guitar Hero, LEGO Indiana Jones, Tiger Woods, etc. etc.?
I guess it has something to do that the Wii version of Madden 09 only managed to sell 200 more copies than Madden 08, eventhough the Wii userbase has grown quite a bit when Madden 08 was released. I'm not laughing though.

How much did Guitar Hero, LEGO Indiana Jones, Tiger Woods etc. sell on the PS3?

Jammy said:
:lol Since when was Madden a measurement for being "hardcore?"

Madden is the 360/PS3's Mario Party, in that it comes out every year and sells millions.
If Madden isnt "hardcore" and its like Mario Party, shouldnt it sell more copies on Wii then too? :) I know you said 360/PS3's Mario Party, but isnt the Wii version (and the PS2 version for that sake) pretty much the same game as the Xbox 360 and PS3 version when it comes to the gameplay? (besides the Wii control system of course). I guess that you might mean that Wii already have a Mario Party game, and that the Xbox 360 and the PS3's Mario Party game is Madden :)

Busty

Banned
Chinner said:
Why do they call it the Xbox 360?

Because when you see it, you will turn 360 degrees and walk away.

So that's why the RROD numbers were so high.

Upon seeing their new MS gaming unit for the first time people would fully rotate on the spot and then step on top of it.

The heat sinks couldn't withstand the pressure of a human foot.

jax (old)

Banned
Kafel said:
What about those Too Human sales ?

I thought the pre-orders were way higher.

I think no one knows what the preorders were - Dyack did say the demo got a lot of downloads...etc etc.. and he expects it to do well (I could be corrected if I'm wrong). Except the demo + subsequent reviews were I'm sure off putting to would be consumers who turned off TH.

In hindsight, bombcast's DD is a marketing savant for his neogaf/TH/forum is shit bumpage of TH's profile seems to have absolutely backfired on SK. I also think the demo probably killed more sales then it brought.

I thought it'd be lower to be honest, but at those sales figures in a month with no other big X360 release + the rabidness of the xbox360 fanbase (of adopting good games like bioshock/COD4; already mentioned in this thread somewhere) means it has probably peaked. The game really isn't going to have legs imo.

180k, 4 years of development time is not good. I think somewhere, Dyack is ruing the day he went up against Mark McDonald and brought this entire mess upon himself with the bulk of his stupid comments. Because I read it all, and I don't see myself being able to support SK games anymore.

l_f7de0a1794dca277833750ce3f50961c.jpg

that didn't load up at work... :lol

Well Septembers NPD will be a true indicator of whether or not MS' price drop will do anything. Will be nice if it forces a small price drop on Sony's part too if it does spur a couple months worth of solid sales. Everyone wins then.

Top Bottom