• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

donny2112

Wii has almost caught up with PS3+360 in U.S.+Japan. Worldwide it still has about 2-3 million to go, though.

Actual

USJapan_PS360-6.png

USJapan-7.png

Estimated

PS360vsWII-11.png

WWConsoles-13.png

domokunrox said:
No I was there.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but wasn't August the pricecut month of 20GB 360 models? They were cut by like $25-50, right? Can't remember right now.
wait til you see next month, if you thought that was a price drop.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Experiment said:
Some fools were wondering why people are celebrating a 10,000 unit lead for the month over the PS3. The reason why is that for two months, the PS3 outsold the 360 by about that much. Sony tools frothed and had aneurysms over how the 360 was so fucked because they sold 40,000 more units in two months but were still several million units behind. Couple that with "Good jon for buying MGS4!" The GAF Sony hype train is starting to derail again.

I will admit that more and more people are realizing that LBP isn't going to be some uber revolution. It will sell a few hundred thousand copies overall, which isn't bad but some of you guys sound almost insane when predicting that it would pull Mario 64 like numbers. It was the same thing I heard when MGS4, Uncharted, Virtua Fighter 5, etc. all came out. The PS3 is at the stage where this is pretty much the kind of performance you're going to expect from the machine overall: closely by the 360 but getting its ass beat by the Wii. With so many large titles coming out for it and making no impact, its time to face reality.

Another reality is that HD consoles are turning out pitiful performances and have no legitimate excuses why. The games are there, the target market still isn't thoroughly poor but they are not getting the 360 and PS3 in any kind of large quantities. Under 200,000 units is fucking pathetic. There is clearly something wrong. The Wii...I'm not going to go there.

This generation is much worse than the previous.
If I had to guess I'd say that the HD consoles split the hardcore market. This might be the first generation that 3 consoles have lasted this long without at least one dropping out, and I don't see anything pathetic about that. If anything it's a testament to how huge gaming has become, especially when you consider all the sales so far at the $400+ price point.

TunaLover

GAFbook

Interesting graphs donny, pretty much apreciated work. It will be interesting how 3rd paties will justify high development cost on PS360, being the hd gaming almost matched by Wii userbase worwide. Time to moneyhat more.

SE I'm looking at you

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
pgtl_10 said:
Your logic makes sense but advertising in December is bad timing. People are tired of football by then.

Also advertising Madden to casuals is not a good idea. Wii and DS succeed largely based on word of mouth. People see thier gaming friends play Wii Sports, they try it out and buy a Wii. EA should follow the same concept. Get Madden gamers to play Madden Wii and casual gamers can view the game and get comfortable with buying it.

Hmm, Madden does well every Christmas.

AFreak

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Why is there a guy whoring out his family members in the NPD thread?

Sister is hot though...

You answered your own question. And I said she was adopted. She's a stranger to me too. I just live with her.

wow, i thought people expected ps3 to kill the 360, with the damage control MS put out about being 100% sales increase the day before the NPD. people saying a price drop happened which is laughable because sony has been doing it for months. 20,40,60,80,160 hd drives???lol

AFreak

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Sweet. Thats a nice pic of the suit from Gamera GOTU.

Thanks, took that while in Japan last summer(Want to move there now).

And yeah, I did take a pic of a hott Japanese Schoolgirl...I mean, when in rome.

pgtl_10 said:
Your logic makes sense but advertising in December is bad timing. People are tired of football by then.

Also advertising Madden to casuals is not a good idea. Wii and DS succeed largely based on word of mouth. People see thier gaming friends play Wii Sports, they try it out and buy a Wii. EA should follow the same concept. Get Madden gamers to play Madden Wii and casual gamers can view the game and get comfortable with buying it.

...What?

Madden is like...the ultimate in casual gaming. It's by far the most well-known casual game out there.

I'm not sure what the logic here is.

just tray

Banned
Sony needs a price drop but that would only make Microsoft act again.Sony is in serious trouble. For 50 dollars more than a PS3 you can get a 360 and a Wii. Looks like the Wii found a new HD add on this Holiday season.

oh and more pics

AFreak

Banned
just tray said:
Sony needs a price drop but that would only make Microsoft act again.Sony is in serious trouble. For 50 dollars more than a PS3 you can get a 360 and a Wii. Looks like the Wii found a new HD add on this Holiday season.

oh and more pics

The Dude abides.

n13948126_46445158_6760.jpg

n13948126_39501781_2679.jpg

Top Bottom