• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
DiatribeEQ said:
Well Septembers NPD will be a true indicator of whether or not MS' price drop will do anything. Will be nice if it forces a small price drop on Sony's part too if it does spur a couple months worth of solid sales. Everyone wins then.

Minus the MS and Sony finance reports of course (their entertainment divisions only, obviously).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Xisiqomelir said:
I say this every month, but it bears repeating: Lol @ HD gaming

thats what I used to say. till I got one, sold the wii within a week.

I would draw an analogy here to pop music and how I think it's shit but everybody buys it, but nevermind.

the only interesting race now is between MS and Sony.

smurfx said:
wow i'm surprised at the madden numbers. can't believe sony and microsoft couldn't break 200k.

cantgetthere.gif

:lol best gif in a while.

Raw64life

Everything not in the OP so far...

-----

August 08:

PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV: ~110K

-----

Rough LTDs:

WII MARIO KART WII: ~2.7 million
WII WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA: ~1.8 million

NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR: ~845K

PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV: ~265K

360 SOUL CALIBUR IV: ~395K

-----

Hardware LTD:

NDS: ~21.9 million
PSP: ~12.5 million
Wii: ~11.9 million
360: ~10.9 million
PS3: ~5.3 million

-----

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - 19 months in the top 10 and counting:

February 07 - 371K
March 07 - 273K
April 07 - 249K
May 07 - 227K
June 07 - 293K
July 07 - 278K
August 07 - 257K
September 07 - 282K
October 07 - 240K
November 07 - 564K
December 07 - 1.1 million
January 08 - 298K
February 08 - 290K
March 08 - 410K
April 08 - 360K
May 08 - 295K
June 08 - 295K
July 08 - 285K
August 08 - 200K

LTD: ~6.6 million

Looks like the days where we got a whole bunch of numbers outside the top 10 are over.

_PsiFire_

catfish said:
thats what I used to say. till I got one, sold the wii within a week.

I would draw an analogy here to pop music and how I think it's shit but everybody buys it, but nevermind.

the only interesting race now is between MS and Sony.
Why use personal anecdotes like this when everyone has their own opinion though?

I could say that since I got my Wii I've honestly played my X360 for maybe 10 hours tops - and that's when I got Bioshock last year.

You see, who cares?? You sold your Wii after you got 360, I haven't touched my 360 since I got my Wii. What does that mean? Who gives a flying fuck?

Mantorok

Wii Play really needs to be excluded from these charts, it's a controller packaged with a game, not a fucking game packaged with a controller ffs!

Lol @ the 200k gif, class.

Raw64life said:
Everything not in the OP so far...

Looks like the days where we got a whole bunch of numbers outside the top 10 are over.
From the Microsoft PR:

xx.) 360 NCAA FOOTBALL 09 62.400 [460.000 LTD > Wii+PS3]
xx.) 360 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 09 56.000 [best selling version]

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Guys, Milli Vanilli sold 14 million records worldwide so this means they're one of the greatest contemporary musical acts to ever exist. Its true because sales = quality.

fanboi

Banned
truly101 said:
Guys, Milli Vanilli sold 14 million records worldwide so this means they're one of the greatest contemporary musical acts to ever exist. Its true because sales = quality.

Oh shit... you are done for... :|

_PsiFire_

truly101 said:
Guys, The Beatles and Rolling Stones are two of the highest selling bands in the world...ever.

Wii is the the highest selling console this gen..

Let's put the two and two together.

:lol :lol :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
_PsiFire_ said:
Guys, The Beatles and Rolling Stones are two of the highest selling bands in the world...ever.

Wii is the the highest selling console this gen..

Let's put the two and two together.

:lol :lol :lol
The Rolling Stones = PS1
Beatles = PS2

Or something like that? :) Beatles and The Rolling Stones are older bands, the PS1 and the PS2 are older consoles, but still they are selling, well.. atleast the PS2 (i doubt the PS1 is still selling) :) (yes, i am just joking around alittle hehe :p :)).

pswii60

Let's inject a bit more humour in to this thread...

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/12/xbox-360-win-console-war
Xbox 360 will win this console war

Sales increase in wake of price cut

By Nick Farrell: Friday, 12 September 2008, 9:38 AM

MICROSOFT'S PRICE CUT has increased boosted sales of its Xbox 360 by more than six times making it likely to win this console war.

Figures released by Vole show that people have been rushing to buy the machine since it dropped in price.

Good figures, but the Wii is still selling well and the PS3 is starting to claw back ground. Why would we think that Vole will be the winner in the long term?

Xbox makes the PS3 look very costly with little benefit. True you get a Blu-ray player, but the PS3 was supposed to ensure the future of Blu-ray not the other way around.

Blu-ray players will drop in price over the next few months forcing the PS3 to re-evaluate what it is designed to be – a games machine.

Microsoft is doing quite well on the games front, too, at least as good as Sony and much better than Nintendo.

Vole's main competitor is the Nintendo Wii which we have been taking the pee out of for yonks because of its name. But the Wii's real problem is that it is much more a Japanese cultural device than a worldwide one. The Japanese tend to like loud gadgets, things like motion controllers and step exercise things sell like hot cakes. Less important are quality graphics and sound. Generally it has to be loud and colourful.

This makes the Wii great for Japan but is less interesting in Europe and the US. OK, the Wii is cheap as chips but it is also very limited.

The Xbox price cut which makes it almost as cheap as the Wii. However the Xbox can do a lot more and has far superior graphics. Putting the two machines side by side, the Wii looks like the dated gizmo it is. It also lacks games of any substance and cannot manage online gaming at all.

Our guess is that it will be the shift to online gaming and services that will finally be the nail in the Wii dream. Microsoft is doing its online experience pretty well and chances are it will be expanded.

Having had a year's march on the much delayed PS3, and been online a lot longer than the Wii, Vole will eventually knock out its rivals and win the console war.
:lol

However, can't believe they are still calling MS "Vole". What a lame, ratarded and old meme. The writing in this article is dreadful though. Is this a proper site?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Meh, my point is that some people seem to think that because their console has the highest sales, that it automatically validates its quality over the competition. Really that depends on what games you're looking for.

Just curious but the "quality versus quantity" comment that was the battle cry for the N64 is now no longer valid for either the PS3 or 360?

jax (old)

Banned
truly101 said:
Meh, my point is that some people seem to think that because their console has the highest sales, that it automatically validates its quality over the competition. Really that depends on what games you're looking for.

Just curious but the "quality versus quantity" comment that was the battle cry for the N64 is now no longer valid for either the PS3 or 360?

I don't care about the PS3 vs XBOX360 sales thing because I own both. The issue of quality vs Quantity also doesn't seem to matter as much because running games - both consoles are somewhat comparable. All the fuss over 9k is a bit stupid. Pricepoint wise, both consoles sit on differing ends, next month, will be even more contrasting and will be more interesting to look at - but then you can't even do a straight comparison because of feature sets.

in particular next month, the arcades have no harddrive. I mean, cost wise, its cheap. If it sells better, I won't be surprised. However it has no harddrive, no bluray... paid online (GOLD) vs its most direct competitor (at its pricepoint with its features...etc). THe eventual sales of actual units... well, how would/could you use it to compare? I mean, all wii fans have to do is come into this thread and LAUGH at the ps3/xbox360 sales-idiots.

Captain Smoker said:
From the Microsoft PR:

xx.) 360 NCAA FOOTBALL 09 62.400 [460.000 LTD > Wii+PS3]
xx.) 360 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 09 56.000 [best selling version]

Too Human outsold 360's verson of Tiger Woods 3:1? Surprised I am.

Still Tiger will sell well all the way up to Christmas where as Too Human... well wont

ecierif

According to Matt @ IGN, the top 20 also includes Mario Super Sluggers, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii & DS), Mario Party and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. So there are 12 Wii/DS games in the top 20 (8 of them featuring Mario). How often are two entries of one franchise both in the top 20 (or 30 in Europe) for months?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/909/909595p1.html

ecierif said:
According to Matt @ IGN, the top 20 also includes Mario Super Sluggers, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii & DS), Mario Party and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. So there are 12 Wii/DS games in the top 20 (8 of them featuring Mario). How often are two entries of one franchise both in the top 20 (or 30 in Europe) for months?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/909/909595p1.html
where's galaxy =(

Cruceh

Banned
test_account said:
The Rolling Stones = PS1
Beatles = PS2

Or something like that? :) Beatles and The Rolling Stones are older bands, the PS1 and the PS2 are older consoles, but still they are selling, well.. atleast the PS2 (i doubt the PS1 is still selling) :) (yes, i am just joking around alittle hehe :p :)).
:)

ecierif

where's galaxy =(

I guess Galaxy doesn't have the legs of Mario Party or Mario Sonic at the Olympic Games...but its sales were probably frontloaded. In America, it's probably sold more than some of those others will sell in their lifetimes.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
pswii60 said:
Let's inject a bit more humour in to this thread...

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/12/xbox-360-win-console-war

:lol

However, can't believe they are still calling MS "Vole". What a lame, ratarded and old meme. The writing in this article is dreadful though. Is this a proper site?

This part is gold:
But the Wii's real problem is that it is much more a Japanese cultural device than a worldwide one. The Japanese tend to like loud gadgets, things like motion controllers and step exercise things sell like hot cakes. Less important are quality graphics and sound. Generally it has to be loud and colourful.

This makes the Wii great for Japan but is less interesting in Europe and the US. OK, the Wii is cheap as chips but it is also very limited.

Yeah, the Japanese sure suck at spreading their hardware overseas :lol.

wsippel

Banned
truly101 said:
180px-Frank_Farian.jpeg

Frank Farian agrees.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
BTW I wasn't trying to say Wii = Milli Vanilli, just in case anyone thought that. It has much more staying power....like Nsync, and it plays its own games :D

Yes Boss!

Mantorok said:
Wii Play really needs to be excluded from these charts, it's a controller packaged with a game, not a fucking game packaged with a controller ffs!

Wake up. If you even counted it as a $10 game it has still made over $60 million at retail. should book well over $100 million. That is way way more than 90% of games do.

CoG

pswii60 said:

I've never heard Microsoft referred to as "Vole". Is that a UK thing? And WTF is "Vole"?

domokunrox said:
This is true, however people still knew about it, anyone who could have been on the fence for buying one could have jumped in this month on this model clearance

Let me take a mr bishiuk spin on this.

If the sales were not good this month, the next month will CERTAINLY be better

...or not...nobody knows. For what game? Nobody knows. People just buy game systems in major spikes just randomly without any major game releases, right?

I don't expect any large significant spike for Sept NPD. The pricecut could be good for for 25-50k sales and nothing more.

What the hell? :lol

The 360 is going to outsell the PS3 by at least 100k next month. It's okay to admit that, even if it conflicts with your console allegiance.

WrikaWrek

Banned
It is interesting how a couple of sales agers haven't bothered to show up in this NPD edition, after all the crap posted in other threads.

Very interesting.

yoopoo

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
What the hell? :lol

The 360 is going to outsell the PS3 by at least 100k next month. It's okay to admit that, even if it conflicts with your console allegiance.
Bu...bu..bu on amazon.com PS3 is at #7 while first SKU of 360 appears at # 47 :0

TheExodu5

Banned
okrim said:
10 m 360 vs 5 m ps3 user base remember?

Your 360 userbase number is way low.

edit: holy shit it's only 10.9m?

Didn't realize the PS3 is almost halfway now. 5.3m is way higher than I thought.

Remy

CNN Money article related to the NPD figures; I didn't realize GTA4 had hit 8.5 million sales.

SAN FRANCISCO -(Dow Jones)- A report Thursday showed that sales of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.'s (TTWO) "Grand Theft Auto IV" video game have slowed considerably, which may complicate ongoing talks to buy the company.

Take-Two's GTA IV debuted on April 29, and sales reached a record $500 million in its first week. The New York-based company uses the game's success as proof that Electronic Arts Inc.'s (ERTS) $2 billion bid to buy Take-Two substantially under-values the company.

But new U.S. video game sales data from NPD Data may make it tougher for Take- Two to make that argument much longer.

GTA IV, the company's flagship game, was the 46th best-selling game in August, according to new NPD rankings. That's down from 45th place in July. The slowing sales have also brought fresh concerns that at about 8.5 million sold to date, Take-Two's powerhouse GTA IV may have a tough time meeting sales expectations.

"As a must-have game, we expect GTA IV sales to continue at an energetic pace, " a Take-Two spokeswoman said. An Electronic Arts spokesman had no comment for this story.

Electronic Arts had bid $25.74 a share for Take-Two in April, but let the bid expire amid waning interest from shareholders. Both sides continue to talk about a deal, however.

Overall, sales of video games and consoles grew 9% in August to $1.1 billion, and are up 32% for the year, NPD said. The growth suggests U.S. video game sales continue to feel pressure from macro-economic conditions.

I was really close on my SW predictions but on HW I way over-estimated. What a crappy month for Sony and MS. I guess its a small victory for MS since they finally edged out sony again.

Awesome gifs yet again :D

Top Bottom