• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Recall

Lol, fucking Alex Shelley's derp face in the top left corner. I remember seeing a couple of UWA Hardcore shows, one with a real good Shelley vs Claudio match and the first show when the brought Ultimo in, iirc.

Each show I think had one or two decent attempts at a wrestling match it generally was enough for I to end up with 6 of their DVDs. The crowd were a little off their rockers with having some really silly chants and even on a couple shows yelling "2 small balls(!)" with every 2 count.

strobogo

Banned
ECW might be everything I hate about wrestling rolled into one company. A company that is full of swerves, run ins, and terrible wrestlers. A company that has great wrestlers, but that often get swept up in terrible angles. A company that bases its entire personal and reputation not on anything internally, but based on how they AREN'T like the other companies. We aren't mainstream, which makes us better than you. Not "what we do is great". It's "What you guys do sucks, so we don't do that". The whole promotion is based on being a hipster.

It's well known for its mature and arching storylines, but they're just as often as stupid and nonsensical than WWF and WCW angles. Joey Styles is the most annoying and try hard announcer I've ever heard. More annoying than Mike Tenay and Mark Madden. Just terrible with all his wink wink insidery references and pot shots at WCW/WWF constantly.

It started all of the problems with indie wrestling seen today. It started the fans being their own gimmicks and trying to get themselves over. Using edgy as a crutch to make up for lack of substance. ECW's impact has been terrible and is still terrible 20 years later. All the Network does is highlight how bad it was and how bad it has been for wrestling in general.

ig8WvzbwOwbrk.gif

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

ECW's horrible to go back and watch, I actually prefer the 92/93 stuff where Eddie Gilbert had the book. Snuka, Rockin' Rebel, Tommy Cairo, Glenn Osbourne, The Super Destroyers, fuckin' OG Sandman;

i9XYP0je4ywXp.png

Recall

For every shit ECW match there were generally some real great contests hidden away and those had fuck all to do with being "hardcore". Brushed off matches like Jerry Lynn vs Lance Storm from Anarchy Rulz 99 were actually pretty awesome.

ECW was different, it wasn't perfect just like how WWF and WCW wernt perfect either but ECW did feel the most detached from pro wrestling.

Hasney

I love ECW. Watched all the PPV's and now just waiting for the Hardcore TV shows around it.

But I liked Russos first run at WCW, so my opinion is probably invalidated by that.

Also, Paul London

smilinpaul.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Obviously there was a lot of good wrestling and wrestlers to come through. That's not even what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the serial escalation. I'm talking about the attitude of the company and fans. I'm talking about how proud and cool people felt because they were saying BITCH on TV or talking about food stamps. It doesn't feel authentic at all. It doesn't feel like they were trying to change wrestling or start a movement like they said or like the history is portrayed as. It feels like a very calculated attempt to be SO COOL, GOD LOOK AT HOW FUCKING COOL WE ARE, SO MUCH COOLER THAN THE MAINSTREAM. It's some straight hipstery bullshit, regardless of what was good and what wasn't on the shows themselves.

There is nothing less cool than a hipster trying to put off the image of being a hipster instead of just being that person for real.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I told yall ECW was dumb.

SMW New Jack had all this mega potential
ECW New Jack got to jump off balconies because his dumbass fans demanded it of him

strobogo

Banned
It really shows that Paul Heyman is the greatest conman to ever live in a profession built upon everyone involved being a conman.

I can understand someone not liking ECW, but thinking Joey Styles was more annoying than Mike Tenay and Mark Madden? That's fucking lunacy

Aiii

So not worth it
Double edged sword with that story. Punk absolutely handled it wrong, but I'm sure getting grabbed all the time has got to be really annoying

I can understand not wanting to be touched, but at least be nice about it.

I have read recently on the sheets that AJ has started a "no touching" rule for male fans wanting to take candids with her, after being touched inappropriately by a guy taking a picture with her. Not sure if the male wrestlers have this issue too, but I can understand stuff like that. Picture? Fine, stand next to me, no hug needed, fine.

But don't lose your shit over it. But this is CM Punk, he always overreacts to random fan encounters, guy is just weird that way. People just get excited meeting you, that's supposed to be a good thing and something to be happy about. People fucking like you, who doesn't want to be liked? :)

MC Safety

I can understand the no touching rule.

I never really understood why so many adult fans feel the need to touch the wrestlers when they go out into the crowd or walk down the aisle or whatever.

If you're 10 and starstruck, that's cute. It's a different story if you're 40 and need to touch Roman Reigns as he makes his way down the aisle.

strobogo

Banned
Stro, was and is Tommy Dreamer as important and great as Tommy Dreamer thinks he is?

Tommy Dreamer wasn't even great with in ECW itself, which had guys like Jason, Sandman, 911, Sal Bellomo, Ian and Axel Rotten, Johnny Grunge, Harris Brothers, Konnan, Mustafa, New Jack, Danny Doring, Roadkill, Chris Chetti, Belvis, and so on.

Also I am legit shook over finding out that the Guerreros aren't even Guerreros. They are Llanes. Guerrero is a family middle name. Gory's last name was Quesada. Gory's wife's last name was Llanes, which is the actual surname of the all the Guerrero wrestlers. Is there a Mexican tradition I'm not aware of where the family takes the father's last name as a middle name and mother's last name as surname?

Aiii

So not worth it
You are a terrible person Dragonzord and you should feel bad!

But I laughed anyways :D

Vylash

I can understand the no touching rule.

I never really understood why so many adult fans feel the need to touch the wrestlers when they go out into the crowd or walk down the aisle or whatever.

If you're 10 and starstruck, that's cute. It's a different story if you're 40 and need to touch Roman Reigns as he makes his way down the aisle.

Yeah I hate seeing all those guys touching Roman as he makes his entrance, I bet Seth and Dean are happy they don't have to deal with that anymore

DiscoJon

Banned
Also I am legit shook over finding out that the Guerreros aren't even Guerreros. They are Llanes. Guerrero is a family middle name. Gory's last name was Quesada. Gory's wife's last name was Llanes, which is the actual surname of the all the Guerrero wrestlers. Is there a Mexican tradition I'm not aware of where the family takes the father's last name as a middle name and mother's last name as surname?

Stro-bro, it's wrasslin'. The Von Erich family is the same way.

strobogo

Banned
Stro-bro, it's wrasslin'. The Von Erich family is the same way.

Of course. Von Erich makes sense since Fritz was a got dang wrasslin Nazi and that's a pretty German name. But Guerrero not being their real last name is fucking weird. It is a Mexican naming tradition as I found, though. Still. Gory's last name isn't even Guerrero. I'm shooked. I'm legit shooked.

Aiii

So not worth it
Of course. Von Erich makes sense since Fritz was a got dang wrasslin Nazi and that's a pretty German name. But Guerrero not being their real last name is fucking weird. It is a Mexican naming tradition as I found, though. Still. Gory's last name isn't even Guerrero. I'm shooked. I'm legit shooked.

Just wait until you find out Hulk Hogan isn't actually called Hulk... OR HOGAN!

Brooke Hogan, Nick Hogan, IT IS ALL A SHAM!

DiscoJon

Banned
"Guerrero" translates to "Warrior", so it fits with the Lucha/Wrasslin' mentality. I grew up in a town with a fairly large Hispanic population (my best friend growing up was named Benjamin Jose Salazar Garza, that's pretty damn Mexican) and I don't know anyone with the last name Guerrero.

Viva La Raza!

I also drove an '81 El Camino from '94 to '03. True story.

"Guerrero" translates to "Warrior", so it fits with the Lucha/Wrasslin' mentality. I grew up in a town with a fairly large Hispanic population (my best friend growing up was named Benjamin Jose Salazar Garza, that's pretty damn Mexican) and I don't know anyone with the last name Guerrero.

Viva La Raza!

I also drove an '81 El Camino from '94 to '03. True story.

On the other hand you would think BROCKKKK LESNAR isnt a real name...but it is...

Paul Lesnar would be even better :D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Real Ass Terry Bollea is in my fave five Terry Bollea incarnations. Anyone who beats up Kidman and kicks him in the nuts is ok by me.

strobogo

Banned
Definitely gives REAL ASS Stone Cold a run for his money in the pure bad ass swag department.

That Motherfucker Real Ass Terry Bollea.

Get some Bombay Saffire if you've never tried it. The spices in it are lovely with some tonic.

Man, wanting one now. Need that hair of the dog.

Day 4 is more of the same. Not Czeched out day 5 yet, but that is the plan for tonight.
Damn I actually just bought a bottle of that the other day. Haven't opened it yet though. Might have to this weekend
Show: Well Paul & Paul, I'm out gonna hop into my whirlpaul at home
HHH: Cool Paul, have fun. Paul wait a second I got something to tell you
Heyman: Yes, Paul? Does it concern Paula Abdul and Hulk Hogan on that weird American Gladiotor reboot?
HHH: Actually yes, Paul...but just now I got an awesome idea for a Paul on the next RAW: Which Paul is the best? Paul, Paul or Paul?
HHH: Damn Paul, thats why you are the boss!

Hahaha.

Needs more Paul's

I can only think of 3 others though.

Paul Orndorff
Paul Ellering
Paul London

The last WWE magazine cover. Very fitting, pity he couldn't rise from cancellation.

83542.jpg

edit: fuck, it's not the last one, I'll just pretend it is

Has anyone ever read an article from the magazine?
How much more John Cena (and Randy Orton) content besides 5 hours of televison, youtube clips and the app can they come up with.

Damn I actually just bought a bottle of that the other day. Haven't opened it yet though. Might have to this weekend

Hahaha.

Needs more Paul's

I can only think of 3 others though.

Paul Orndorff
Paul Ellering
Paul London

So we agree. WWE needs more Paul
Polka Paul
Phony Paul
Paulie McPaulsen
SirPaul
StarPaul

Aiii

So not worth it
Has anyone ever read an article from the magazine?
How much more John Cena (and Randy Orton) content besides 5 hours of televison, youtube clips and the app can they come up with.

I was subbed to the iPad magazine for a while because it was cheap (not even 20 bucks for a year), it's surprisingly good actually.

Spanish naming conventions usually have the family name in the middle, which is usually Father's Surname and than Mother's Surname.

REAL ASS Terry Bollea

The Terry Ebola virus ran wild in the 80s too, but it was simply referred to as Hulkamania back then!

womp womp

Mengetsu

Welp

A WWE spokesman told CNN Money that the job cuts will impact all of WWE's business units and locations. The spokesman confirmed that the employees were let go on Thursday. They also confirmed that about 60 jobs were lost as WWE's headcount is around 850 people.

They should turn this into a storyline, but then I'm pretty into the pseudo-real storyline idea at the moment. I think I'm being possessed by the spirit of Vince Russo, as I can't help but feel that merging public knowledge into the product would help due to the internet and news coverage WWE gets these days.

They run it like public stock business, so why not merge the storylines too. We all know the ins and outs of what's going on (more or less). It works for Total Divas.

They should turn this into a storyline, but then I'm pretty into the pseudo-real storyline idea at the moment. I think I'm being possessed by the spirit of Vince Russo, as I can't help but feel that merging public knowledge into the product would help due to the internet and news coverage WWE gets these days.

They run it like public stock business, so why not merge the storylines too. We all know the ins and outs of what's going on (more or less). It works for Total Divas.

Storyline Vince McMahon versus Paul Levesque "you are ruining this company you old senile chimp!" Steph torn between "Father" and "Hunter" Wrestlers backing up Paul cause he is there for the money and he is best for buisness. It writes itself. But unfortunatly WWE got writers so nothing writes itself especially with Vince around "puke all over Paul"

Storyline Vince McMahon versus Paul Levesque "you are ruining this company you old senile chimp!" Steph torn between "Father" and "Hunter" Wrestlers backing up Paul cause he is there for the money and he is best for buisness. It writes itself. But unfortunatly WWE got writers so nothing writes itself especially with Vince around "puke all over Paul"

Yeah, wrestlers being on edge about losing their jobs, rifts within the roster who will be loyal to who, etc. You could have had the JTG ducking and dodging storyline with someone avoiding Vince McMahon/their phone so they don't get fired, or even more subtle avoiding the cameramen/disappearing from shot whenever they turn up.

Wrestlers with 'nothing from creative' just going out to prove their worth with great wrestling matches, or showcasing stupid new gimmicks.

Hell, want to make Dean Ambrose a real loose cannon? 'Fire him' for budget reasons, and have him invade the shows/youtube.

Yeah, wrestlers being on edge about losing their jobs, rifts within the roster who will be loyal to who, etc. You could have had the JTG ducking and dodging storyline with someone avoiding Vince McMahon/their phone so they don't get fired, or even more subtle avoiding the cameramen/disappearing from shot whenever they turn up.

Wrestlers with 'nothing from creative' just going out to prove their worth with great wrestling matches, or showcasing stupid new gimmicks.

Hell, want to make Dean Ambrose a real loose cannon? 'Fire him' for budget reasons, and have him invade the shows/youtube.

Best idea ever. So we won't get it...

Hasney

Bring back Zack Ryders show purely for Ambrose to kick the everloving shit out of him.

Obviously, Maddox has already had it bad enough in a cave...

Top Bottom