• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

I think there's something impenetrable about Grado that isn't about being a smark crowd - just something we CAN'T click with. It'll be nice if I'm wrong and it's just me, but I think it's just to goddamn foreign (uguu) to have even the same kind of connection as Freight Train.

By the way those of you who backed that Freight Train kickstarter, it happened. Looking forward to my DVD.

I can't believe US crowds won't 'get' Grado - you might not understand him (although he'll probably dial back the Ayrshire twang for his trip Stateside, as he does when he heads down south over here), but his whole shtick of being a fun loving guy who likes to dance and have a laugh, to bullshit with the fans and enjoy his time in the ring, that's one of the most simplistic things in wrestling and it rarely fails to draw a good response from the crowd.

Like I said, I'm very interested in seeing how AIW book Grado over their triple-shot, who they put him in the ring with, how they promote him and introduce him to the fans, etc. Also, Tracy Smothers is on those shows and if I don't get the two of them interacting, I'll be sad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe US crowds won't 'get' Grado - you might not understand him (although he'll probably dial back the Ayrshire twang for his trip Stateside, as he does when he heads down south over here), but his whole shtick of being a fun loving guy who likes to dance and have a laugh, to bullshit with the fans and enjoy his time in the ring, that's one of the most simplistic things in wrestling and it rarely fails to draw a good response from the crowd.

Like I said, I'm very interested in seeing how AIW book Grado over their triple-shot, who they put him in the ring with, how they promote him and introduce him to the fans, etc. Also, Tracy Smothers is on those shows and if I don't get the two of them interacting, I'll be sad.

I'm a mark - didn't realize Grado was playing up his accent. Thought that fucker was just plain incomprehensible. I got got!

Alucard

Banned
Nice to see all the positivity for Destination X last night. A shame it sounds like too little too late for TNA. We'll see.

RBH

--It is not a good day at WWE HQ in Stamford as 7% of the work force (roughly 55 people) were let go.

--Largely due to cost cutting and lowering overhead, WWE stock rose 39 cents per share to $12.48 on four times the usual volume on a day where the market overall was down.

--Regarding Canada and the Rogers deal, an update from our audio is that there will be no Internet component of the WWE network in Canada at first. It will be strictly a television station distributed by Rogers. It will be available through Rogers cable. Other cable providers in Canada will have it offered and will have to go through Rogers for the fights. The live stream will air the same as everywhere else. There will be a video-on-demand component but it have less content that the streaming network library. Exactly what will be available is not known yet. The plan is to introduce the network on the Internet at some point in 2015.

--Something to look out for is how SummerSlam is promoted on Monday, if it's promoted as both a PPV and network event or just the network event being hyped. WWE did say today that they expect the PPV business go to away in 2015, so that would indicate not moving big shows off the network and back to PPV.
http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-...-event-tna-signging-major-tna-tv-show-tonight

I'm a mark - didn't realize Grado was playing up his accent. Thought that fucker was just plain incomprehensible. I got got!

Hah! I wouldn't say he's playing it up, but like all Scottish people he can tone it down (whether they chose to do so when talking to English people is another matter).

Grado is a loser who got over based entirely on a smoke and mirrors entrance
He's like a Brit Sandman

You're no fun, Bronson. The entrance got him noticed on a wider scale, but it was all character that got him over in ICW - he was the ultimate unlikely underdog (dat alliteration) and it freaking made him. Also, there's a reason he keeps being booked up and down the country and it's not because of the entrance, but it's because while not being the greatest wrestler on the card, he can tell a great story and get reactions others on the card would kill for.

Speaking of fun. Are any of the new Chikara shows worth checking out?
Yep. Great fun.

They are hyping up Devitt hard. Gotta get those network subs. Hey here's an idea The E! Why don't you make some sort of documentary or behind the scenes series about Devitt and or Kenta preparing for The E. you put over both the talent and the company and you have new content.

Ithil

They had a new version of Tough Enough made entirely by WWE ready to go to film at the Performance Center, then all these budget cuts delayed filming til the Autumn. I bet they were holding off on a bunch of debuts so they could be in that, too.

Man, a development centre documentary would be amazing regardless. Little fly on the wall, some little interviews with people on what it's like.

http://www.wwe.com/wwenetwork/wwe-network-outside-united-states-26533843

WWE announced today its plans to launch the U.S. version of WWE Network as an over-the-top service in more than 170 countries and territories, starting on August 12. The network is expected to go live in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico, Spain and the Nordics, among others countries. WWE Network is also expected to arrive in the United Kingdom by October 2014, with expansion to Italy, UAE, Germany, Japan, India, China, Thailand and Malaysia following at a future date.]

... here we go!

Of course AJ is great, he's getting to be himself and wrestle with great talent. Plus you have to imagine he's happy for the first time in a long time. That can also play a role.

Of course AJ is great, he's getting to be himself and wrestle with great talent. Plus you have to imagine he's happy for the first time in a long time. That can also play a role.

Not as familiar with Japan, but do they give guys more control over their character?

Anth0ny

--Regarding Canada and the Rogers deal, an update from our audio is that there will be no Internet component of the WWE network in Canada at first. It will be strictly a television station distributed by Rogers. It will be available through Rogers cable.

fucking hell

fucking hell

moneyo.gif

Hearing reports that Rogers overpays for content to keep it exclusive and that's probably what they did here.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/01/wwe-2k15-its-time-to-play-the-game-ign-first

Ithil

Shaun Ricker/Slate Randall is money in the bank. I can't believe they'd be that blind to release him without any chance on NXT TV. Dummies.

gotta budget for those sting appearances, yo

... wait, what if we've been looking at it wrong all this time. What if it isn't Vince Russo, Eric Bischoff & Hulk Hogan who are the promotion killers - what if it's Sting?!

CWA - Dead
UWF - Dead
NWA - Dead/spectre of it's former self
WCW - Dead
TNA - Dead
WWE - The month he officially signs and suddenly they're in financial ruin...

oh
mah
gawd

Shaun Ricker/Slate Randall is money in the bank. I can't believe they'd be that blind to release him without any chance on NXT TV. Dummies.

Yeah, wtf. Dude is gold on the mic and a good look; everything one needs to be successful in the E. Remember watching him on NWA Hollywood a few years ago, had superstar written all over him.

... wait, what if we've been looking at it wrong all this time. What if it isn't Vince Russo, Eric Bischoff & Hulk Hogan who are the promotion killers - what if it's Sting?!

CWA - Dead
UWF - Dead
NWA - Dead/spectre of it's former self
WCW - Dead
TNA - Dead
WWE - The month he officially signs and suddenly they're in financial ruin...

oh
mah
gawd

Just keep him away from New Japan and we'll be good

I don't legit detest many wrestlers, but there's one I really do and I just don't 'get it' with him - Shane Douglas.

Perhaps it's because I mainly remember him as Dean Douglas and that might have tainted my view on him, but I don't get it when ECW fans go on and on about how awesome he was. He seems to biggest self-mark ever, and all his promos are the same... and boring. I hated his work in ECW, I hated his work in WCW, I hated his work in WWE, I hated his work in TNA and I think he was even the worse thing about XPW.

I don't legit detest many wrestlers, but there's one I really do and I just don't 'get it' with him - Shane Douglas.

Perhaps it's because I mainly remember him as Dean Douglas and that might have tainted my view on him, but I don't get it when ECW fans go on and on about how awesome he was. He seems to biggest self-mark ever, and all his promos are the same... and boring. I hated his work in ECW, I hated his work in WCW, I hated his work in WWE, I hated his work in TNA and I think he was even the worse thing about XPW.

Most of his promos boiled down to him screaming about something (although I guess that goes for most wrestlers).

I agree though, I thought he was pretty whatever.

Top Bottom