• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I marked out hard when Orndorff came out. He looks so insane now.

Aiii

So not worth it
I thought it was out in Europe already?

It is going to bomb massively there I think.

Select regions only (Germany, France, Spain, Italy, UK I believe), Netherlands (previous tier 1 country) and others are not getting it until September 5th.

Sephzilla

This affair angle is so stupid.

Yeah. The Steph/Brie feud was kind of cringe worthy already, now it just descended into the "I don't even fucking care" realm.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised WWE didn't try to add a more personal twist to Brock/Cena. Usually modern WWE tries to avoid feuds that revolve around two people simply not liking each other having a match.

Select regions only (Germany, France, Spain, Italy, UK I believe), Netherlands (previous tier 1 country) and others are not getting it until September 5th.

Ah okay, thanks.

Europe was mostly in favor of the PS3 last gen right? I dont see that changing this gen.

Sayad

vKGaII4.gif
What's the point of a ladies grudge match in a PG-13 show?!! Haven't watched in long time, can Brie wrestle now? Who's gonna carry this match?

njean777

Yeah. The Steph/Brie feud was kind of cringe worthy already, now it just descended into the "I don't even fucking care" realm.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised WWE didn't try to add a more personal twist to Brock/Cena. Usually modern WWE tries to avoid feuds that revolve around two people simply not liking each other having a match.

I don't get why they would throw Bryan under the bus like that. I mean even if it is a work, it's still pretty stupid to throw a star under the bus like that.

Ah okay, thanks.

Europe was mostly in favor of the PS3 last gen right? I dont see that changing this gen.
All the money they're paying Brock you think he'd sign up for some bullshit personal feud?

Ithil

William Regal came to a wrestling show I was taking part in in California almost a year ago exactly, I believe it was Aug. 31 of last year, and it was for PWG, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. The match I had that night, I think did a lot. I had never met William Regal before; I didn’t know him at all. I had great respect for him already; he’s actually been one of my favorite wrestlers for quite some time. To have him watch my match and take the time to tell me what he thought and give me advice was already great, but then a couple days later, I was contacted to see if I wanted to be part of a tryout camp. Just to have somebody like William Regal have enough esteem for me to go as far as to actually recommend me for a tryout meant a lot. Then I went to the tryout camp and I got through it, and what made me stand out were the promos, where we basically had to sell ourselves verbally. That’s always been one of my strong suits — the way I talk and what I say. I make it count, and I think that went pretty far in getting me to where I am now.

I actually remember that, it was the PWG Battle of Los Angles show last year, people noticed Regal was attending one of the days, scouting for talent. Guess he found some.

Anth0ny

So...
clipboard01d1jxk.jpg

That's new.

uh... wasn't it supposed to be $19.99?

they're fucking crazy. way to devalue your product. besides, as long as the paypal exploit exists (and we know 100k+ people were aware of said exploit), who's going to pay $12.99 when they can just pay $9.99 for Summer Slam and cancel?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
uh... wasn't it supposed to be $19.99?

they're fucking crazy. way to devalue your product. besides, as long as the paypal exploit exists (and we know 100k+ people were aware of said exploit), who's going to pay $12.99 when they can just pay $9.99 for Summer Slam and cancel?

... The tons of folks who don't use Paypal?

I'll be doing the 12.99 thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Still not going to help the Network. It's not a price thing, and I don't even think it's a commitment thing. It's a 'you are overestimating the hell out of your fanbase's interest in watching wrestling other than raw/PPVs' thing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Still not going to help the Network. It's not a price thing, and I don't even think it's a commitment thing. It's a 'you are overestimating the hell out of your fanbase's interest in watching wrestling other than raw/PPVs' thing.

I think they fundamentally missed the reasons why other sporting leagues services like this work. There are like two key reasons why this service works for big time sports leagues.

In every other sport you a fan of a team that plays in a specific city. The reason people sign up for those packages is because they generally grew up a fan of a team in a city and then moved to a new city where they can no longer see that team play on TV. And the other reason is its for total junkies. The folks who want to see as much of a sport as they can, way more content than they can get through traditional cable.

WWE Network doesn't do either of these things. There is no regional content and the Network isn't providing enough new content that people want to watch, because yeah they are already getting more than their fill as it is every week.

Every other sports league out there can look at the WWE Network and realize that there is zero interest in providing any kind of historical back catalog for their sport.

Everyone I showed the Network to asked if you could watch RAW & Smackdown on it and were surprised to find you couldn't - it's a good deal when you consider the regular price of PPVs, but I agree that they're probably over-estimating how many fans want to watch old stuff, as well as drip-feeding the content too slowly to satisfy those who do want to watch the old stuff. They need a lot more in the way of original content.

Aiii

So not worth it
Everyone I showed the Network to asked if you could watch RAW & Smackdown on it and were surprised to find you couldn't - it's a good deal when you consider the regular price of PPVs, but I agree that they're probably over-estimating how many fans want to watch old stuff, as well as drip-feeding the content too slowly to satisfy those who do want to watch the old stuff. They need a lot more in the way of original content.

This is what's doing them in, not having next-day Raw/Smackdown replays and holding back their most valuable backlog content (Attitude Era Raw and WCW Nitro) is losing them money.

On the other hand, they have to keep their TV deal, so I understand why from their POV on that account, but it's still not doing the network any favors.

Cagey

Banned

The bolded is the only thing that should matter to most, but because pirated streams have been such a common practice for so long on the internet, the actual value received has been diminished greatly.

1. Raw is more than enough for most people
2. Youtube has fed nostalgia hunger for many years
3. PPVs have lost any mystique they once had due to poor booking and constant rematches + huge feud turning points on free TV

Anyone with half a brain could see that the Network wouldn't be as popular as they hoped it would be. Whether it ever can is up for debate, but screaming $9.99 at people isn't how they're going to change that.

Ithil

Basing the whole future of your company on complete bullshit surveys that end up concluding there are 50 million WWE fans in the world is also not a sound business decision.

Sephzilla

3. PPVs have lost any mystique they once had due to poor booking and constant rematches + huge feud turning points on free TV

Anyone with half a brain could see that the Network wouldn't be as popular as they hoped it would be. Whether it ever can is up for debate, but screaming $9.99 at people isn't how they're going to change that.

To add to #3 - I think monthly PPVs have killed the mystique as well.

Mengetsu

The bolded is the only thing that should matter to most, but because pirated streams have been such a common practice for so long on the internet, the actual value received has been diminished greatly.
In the end...you can't beat free my friend. This is the way the internet has deemed it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd also be more inclined to subscribe if the content was more interesting. Like, 'here's the shit you saw as a kid. Remember it?' Yeah I do. Because I already saw it. Show me niche stuff I missed. Show me full episodes of old Worldwide, show me House Show footage from New Generation, show me weird shit like Hogan shilling old WWF merch, bring back Confidential since you're doing 'reality era' shit anyhow, show me OVW episode masters. I don't need to see Austin stunning Vince because I've already seen it a dozen times before.

Gorillaz

I think it's more of the first 2 then anything. You get 5 hours on TV already and if you wanted to look up a "classic moment" you can do it for free in like 2 mins on youtube.

Surprised they didn't go after youtube stuff yet but part of me feels like they don't know how to. Like HBK with a laptop, status

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think it's more of the first 2 then anything. You get 5 hours on TV already and if you wanted to look up a "classic moment" you can do it for free in like 2 mins on youtube.

Surprised they didn't go after youtube stuff yet but part of me feels like they don't know how to. Like HBK with a laptop, status

Oh they most definitely did. A lot of popular uploaders, including OSW, got sniped when they announced the Network

Speaking of OSW, the new one's up

Sephzilla

I'd also be more inclined to subscribe if the content was more interesting. Like, 'here's the shit you saw as a kid. Remember it?' Yeah I do. Because I already saw it. Show me niche stuff I missed. Show me full episodes of old Worldwide, show me House Show footage from New Generation, show me weird shit like Hogan shilling old WWF merch, bring back Confidential since you're doing 'reality era' shit anyhow, show me OVW episode masters. I don't need to see Austin stunning Vince because I've already seen it a dozen times before.

Yeah, if they had more stuff like "What happens after the show is off the air" and what not that would help a bunch.

I also want more Legends of Wrestling panels. I fucking love those.

I just don't see Kevin Steen fitting in the WWE with his current look. Kevin Dunn will have him buried so fast once he talks to Vince. I think they signed the dude to be on Tough Enough honestly. He needs to grow his beard out and join the Wyatts. That is the only spot I could see him fitting in.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And their shit is so lackluster compared to what it could be. I should be able to search Rick Rude, get a full Rick Rude 'superstar page' with all his themes/trons available, a link to his merch shop, all of his videos with a search within it(so I could say search, 'Ultimate Warrior' and it would pull up all Rick Rude videos involving Ultimate Warior. Including promos, PPV hype videos, etc). And have some fucking editorial. Put a 'Editor's recommended match' put a 'Match you may not have seen'

Network's interface is like Google Groups level of shit

Ithil

That they don't have a daily ESPN type panel show is absurd. This is the kind of stuff that makes the Network feel "alive", having something brand new every day for your subscribers to watch.

Right now its all barebones and their "new content" is barely anywhere. Basically the only new stuff every week is NXT and Main Event.

Ithil

I just don't see Kevin Steen fitting in the WWE with his current look. Kevin Dunn will have him buried so fast once he talks to Vince. I think they signed the dude to be on Tough Enough honestly. He needs to grow his beard out and join the Wyatts. That is the only spot I could see him fitting in.

Given how much weight he dropped before signing, I expect he'll get into a more ripped shape while in NXT. They've got a fancy gym down there and he seems motivated.
A lot of guys have bulked up in WWE, including Bryan, Ambrose, Rollins, and Sami Zayn looks bigger now than when he started.

Fox Mulder

That they don't have a daily ESPN type panel show is absurd. This is the kind of stuff that makes the Network feel "alive", having something brand new every day for your subscribers to watch.

Right now its all barebones and their "new content" is barely anywhere. Basically the only new stuff every week is NXT and Main Event.

budget cuts.

making their new network less appealing while pushing for subs is beyond me.

Ithil

budget cuts.

making their new network less appealing while pushing for subs is beyond me.

Eh, I don't buy it. A panel type show is some of their employees at a desk. It's not like Tough Enough where you have to film a whole reality show. I don't know what they think they are going to do with this. They need original programming to keep the Network having appeal after everyone has gotten over the "you can watch old stuff" initial hype, yet they're cutting the budget to actually producing said programming.

They're touting year old episodes of Total Divas and Legends House which was filmed in 2012 and has already finished airing, for their original programming. That's not going to bring in subscriber now, let alone in 2015.

Given how much weight he dropped before signing, I expect he'll get into a more ripped shape while in NXT. They've got a fancy gym down there and he seems motivated.
A lot of guys have bulked up in WWE, including Bryan, Ambrose, Rollins, and Sami Zayn looks bigger now than when he started.

A fat guy can only get so ripped and it would take years for him to get that way. He still looks like just an average dude off the street. The best thing he could do is grow out the beard and hope to be put with the Wyatts.

Eh, I don't buy it. A panel type show is some of their employees at a desk. It's not like Tough Enough where you have to film a whole reality show. I don't know what they think they are going to do with this. They need original programming to keep the Network having appeal after everyone has gotten over the "you can watch old stuff" initial hype, yet they're cutting the budget to actually producing said programming.

They're touting year old episodes of Total Divas and Legends House which was filmed in 2012 and has already finished airing, for their original programming. That's not going to bring in subscriber now, let alone in 2015.

Shit, they could be showing the cooking show with Big Show and his wife. Stuff like that is cheap to produce in a studio. They could also do something like a WWE cribs. They already show shit like this on their youtube channel. Just expand it out to 30 minutes.

v0yce

I don't get why they would throw Bryan under the bus like that. I mean even if it is a work, it's still pretty stupid to throw a star under the bus like that.

I don't understand how they're throwing him under the bus. Surely this is going to be some "Stephanie paid her to say it" stuff to bait Brie.

It never once entered my mind that they were actually trying to pull an actual affair story.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It ain't black and white, it's black and silver. So much grey!
paS33cH.gif

Hall looked and sounded so good last night though.

Ithil

A fat guy can only get so ripped and it would take years for him to get that way. He still looks like just an average dude off the street. The best thing he could do is grow out the beard and hope to be put with the Wyatts.

Shit, they could be showing the cooking show with Big Show and his wife. Stuff like that is cheap to produce in a studio. They could also do something like a WWE cribs. They already show shit like this on their youtube channel. Just expand it out to 30 minutes.

Well he doesn't have to look like Adrian Neville. I just mean in a year of NXT (since I don't expect Steen to be fast tracked like Devitt), he's probably going to drop a lot of weight and put on a lot of muscle.

Yuji Nagata (c) vs Masahiro Chono - IWGP Heavyweight Championship - (NJPW 2002/10/26)

In 2002 Masahiro Chono won the G1 Climax Tournament for the 4th time, breaking his own record. The champion at the time, Yuji Nagata, had a disappointing tournament and failed to get out of his block to the semi-finals. He did, however, score an opening day victory over eventual winner Chono, so the stage was set for their encounter two months later and, unsurprisingly, the two men put on one of the best performances of their respective careers. Well worth a watch.

Top Bottom