• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

UberTag

Day 1 - Tanahashi vs Honma, Nakamura vs Shibata, Okada vs Styles
Day 2 - Kojima vs Ishii, Yano vs Styles, Okada vs Tenzan
Day 3 - Goto vs Suzuki, Tanahashi vs Kojima, Okada vs Makabe
Day 4 - Honma vs Ishii, Nagata vs Nakamura, Naito vs Styles, Okada vs Anderson, Tanahashi vs Shibata
Day 5 - Goto vs Styles, Nakamura vs Honma, Okada vs Naito
Day 6 - Kojima vs Shibata, Goto vs Anderson, Tenzan vs Styles, Tanahashi vs Ishii
Day 7 - Tenzan vs Goto, Makabe vs Naito, Styles vs Suzuki, Nagata vs Shibata, Nakamura vs Ishii
Any match of the year contenders in this group?

Most mentions in the above list...

Styles = 6
Okada = 5
Goto = 4
Ishii = 4
Nakamura = 4
Shibata = 4
Tanahashi = 4
Honma = 3
Kojima = 3
Naito = 3
Tenzan = 3

Ishii has been KILLING it this G1. He probably won't win, but I'm proud to rep him for that Avatar bet.
This news makes me happy. I'm still bummed Ishii didn't make the trek to North America for the ROH/NJPW shows.

Ok this shit is too funny. I'm looking up an issue with my car I get directed to honda tech from google. I scroll down about halfway on the page and there's an ad for the wwe network. I can't escape it!

Any match of the year contenders in this group?

Styles vs Suzuki, Styles vs Okada, Tanahashi vs Shibata and Honma vs Ishii are all probably up there.

I'll have to rewatch a lot of stuff to compare though, it's really hard not to get overwhelmed with all the quality wrestling in the G1.

Recall

Styles vs Suzuki, Styles vs Okada, Tanahashi vs Shibata and Honma vs Ishii are all probably up there.

I'll have to rewatch a lot of stuff to compare though, it's really hard not to get overwhelmed with all the quality wrestling in the G1.

Styles vs Suzuki is incredible. I'll give that my vote as match of the year.

Heyman on whether not TNA should move on from ECW, comments on Spike TV not renewing them:

HEYMAN: I think it's very much time for anybody and everybody to move on, especially on a product that you're trying to push forward. Nostalgia tours are great, but not in a youth oriented and dominated industry. I think the lesson learned in all this is that Spike TV didn't renew them. And one of the reasons has to be that the most passionate reaction they can get is for a product that went away in 2001. And they've been trying to brand themselves since their inception and they can't get it done. They should have spent that time and energy trying to brand themselves and not trying to elicit a response of an audience based on a product that they don't even own.

423.gif

jred2k

Heyman on whether not TNA should move on from ECW, comments on Spike TV not renewing them:

423.gif

TNA should save up all their money for the finale and hire Brock to just come in and kill the whole roster. Have the show end like*insert spoiler to show StylesClash hasn't watched*

Austin Aries appeared at PcW unannounced tonight the crowd went mental, he had a 3 way with bubblegum and mark Andrews.

Also Mastiff won a MITB elimination match.

Masters won the championship then mastiff cashed in and in ridiculous overbooking then won by DQ and didn't win the belt.

Masters then came to me to fasten his belt, it took me roughly 43 minutes, fastening a belt on a slippery Chris Masters isn't easy

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
did stone cold get taker on his podcast yet like he said he would ?

Watching the RevPro show from a few months back, some gifs...

Marty Scurll with an awesome counter to the package piledriver;

Scurll.gif

Zack Sabre Jr. being amazing;

Zack.gif

Which causes Nakamura to Boma-Ye his goddamn face off;

Nakamura4.gif

Austin Aries appeared at PcW unannounced tonight the crowd went mental, he had a 3 way with bubblegum and mark Andrews.

Shit, I'm damn jealous - would love to see A Double live. How did Andrews do? Very impressed with him recently. Still need to see Bubblegum, hopefully someone books him down south.

Andrews is amazing but has the issue of looking like a small child, was great to see Aries.

Bubblegum is talented but his cockiness is what makes him to be fair.

That Sha Samuels guy also debuted against Manson, typical Manson match.

Some gifs of 2 Unlimited to annoy stro. They're like the Irish Young Bucks;

2unlimited.gif

2unlimited1.gif

2unlimited2.gif

That Sha Samuels guy also debuted against Manson, typical Manson match.

Ah nice, Sha's pretty good, not the guy I'd chose to wrestle Manson, though - Samuels does better against other brawlers, or smaller wrestlers he can bully.

Jim Ross comments on the state of WWE:

I'm still of the belief that, in time, the WWE Network will be a good investment for WWE but it likely will continue to evolve for the next 2-3 years as it relates to garnering a consistent number of subscribers and how the Network will be accepted and subsequently grow outside North America. By lowering the company's overhead, cutting the fat, so to speak, WWE will have more realistic numbers in place that will positively affect the Network's financial impact on the company.

My observations of the Network are that the younger fans want new programming to compliment what they are currently watching on WWE TV while many displaced fans, if they can be located in a reasonable, marketing manner, likely are going to like the content from the vault or programming that relates to the past the best. In other words, WWE has two, distinctly different audiences to market the network to and that cannot be done exclusively within WWE programming.

Plus, things like having their stars talk about what they watched this week on the WWE Network goes a long way in promoting the future of WWE which is the WWE Network. We rarely hear that. Same goes for the announcers. Organic promotion from all talents is easy to produced and to insert into any broadcast WWE produces. I'd suggest that WWE is under utilizing their powerful social media network to promote the WWE Network. For example, a tweet from John Cena, for example, on what he's watching goes a long way.

A "This Week in the WWE" segment on the marathon, 3 hour Monday Night RAW seems to make sense upon first glance.

Many displaced fans, based on the info that I receive from our podcast audience, listen to the wrestling themed podcasts at Podcast One to, in a large part, take them back to the days of a different era. With that said, it seems to make sense that WWE would be well served to advertise on Podcast One to have a rifle shot at their wrestling demographic.

When budgets allow for such, producing new programming for the network is imperative and one would think that there are endless ideas that could be utilized without incurring exorbitant costs. I'm not talking about major productions like Legends House but instead timely, one hour shows that create a platform for WWE talents to expand their skill set and to perform in a different arena.

I'd love to see WWE produce more Legends Roundtables as they were fun and informative plus I think that the show, depending on the subject matter, could bridge the gap between today's fans and displaced fans of a generation ago. It's hard to navigate one's future if one doesn't understand the past.

The massive cost cutting within WWE in the mid 90's is still vivid in my memory as many associates left WWE, like those who jumped ship when McMahon had his Federal trial, and many of us that stayed had our wages greatly reduced in the major cost cutting. HQ was a somewhat deserted place but those of us that stayed hunkered down, multi tasked and worked out way out of a dilemma thanks to a talent roster that was second to none. McMahon told me that if I stayed that I "would be taken care of financially" and he was certainly true to his word.

Cutting the fat, whether it be to our own bodies or to a company's overhead, is never a bad idea and it appears that through trial and error in a public forum of being a publicly traded company that WWE seemingly has a better handle on what they should and should not be doing from an infrastructure standpoint within the corporate world. Perhaps some executives might have to wear multiple hats in this all hands on deck state of their business.

Hopefully, those that remain employed with WWE will do all they can to gain more product knowledge because it's impossible to adequately market to your consumer base if one doesn't know them, can't identify with them to some degree, etc. I used to say it all the time when I was in WWE, how does one have a successful career in WWE in any role if one is not a fan of the genre and is merely watching the product because they feel that they 'have to' or that Vince McMahon might ask them what they liked this week on RAW.

I feel badly for those that have lost their jobs but hopefully they will land on their feet and positively move forward. That can be done as I can attest through personal experience. As far as the talent roster is concerned, if someone isn't evaluating the roster on virtually a daily basis as to who is on the bubble, who needs to improve in specific areas, etc then the job isn't being done as it should. It doesn't take long to determine what the likely ceiling is on any talent in the on going evaluation to find the next main event player at WrestleMania. Managing a talent roster means one is always in 'crisis mode' and WWE doesn't have a more valuable commodity or asset than their talent.

With that said, the talent roster will and should have it's share of comings and goings throughout the year no matter the trials and tribulations that the corporate side is undergoing.

If WWE can get one, or preferably more, stars white hot, many of their issues will be addressed. The TV ratings will increase, live event ticket sales will surge as will merchandise sales, etc.

The genre is and always will be attraction driven and getting multiple talents hot through creative writing, spot on producing, talent development, and personal issue driven story lines aren't optional but are required to jump start the brand. This also includes aggressively recruiting the best additions to the NXT roster possible through a variety of areas and on a global basis.

Recruiting talent in WWE might be the biggest overall key to the success of the brand over the long haul if one buys into the theory that WWE is an attraction driven business. One can't sell goods out of an empty wagon and WWE can never get too many outstanding athletes and good citizens in their locker room.

I will say this as a matter of opinion, a TV show within the genre can't be a 'variety show' and appeal to all demographics. I do think that WWE can produce entertaining TV in a PG format even though my personal preference would be TV14 but producing a compelling, THREE hour RAW every week is a daunting challenge that I'm not sure that any creative team can master. The only way that might occur is to continue to attempt to find the next big thing(s) and consider re-inventing how the flagship broadcast is produced.

Interesting times indeed in WWE-Land as seemingly as they go so does the balance of the pro wrestling business.

Verendus

Banned
It seems like Brotista can act.

Dave Bautista, a pro wrestler revealing a gift for deadpan delivery
Dave Bautista, the WWE's Batista, has a wonderful turn as the Guardians' behemoth, Drax the Destroyer.
The find here must be Bautista...His juggernaut fighting skills and dry delivery make him the likeliest reason to sit through any sequel.
WWE wrestler Bautista...brings unexpected nuance to the puffed-up Drax. Bautista shines in scenes contrasting Drax's rough appearance and formal speech.
WWE wrestling champ Dave Bautista brings ferocity and feeling to Drax the Destroyer, the tattooed hulk who wants to crush Ronan for killing his wife and daughter.
Dave Bautista brings unexpected dimensions to the hulking Drax.
Bautista ends up offering nearly as many laughs as Pratt, as he leans into Drax's inability to understand anything but the most literal meaning of what's said.

Three weeks until he returns. Three weeks.

Top Bottom