• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

AQe3ar1.gif

ATmk4it.giff

strobogo

Banned
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy tonight, and thought it was just OK. Admittedly, I'm not a die hard comic book guy, and knew almost nothing about this particular franchise going in. With that said, it was just a standard Marvel movie with more comedy (some that worked, some that didn't) thrown in. I thought the villain was insanely underdeveloped, and the action scenes were pretty bad. Batista was nothing special (not bad either), and those movie reviewers singing his praises were probably just shocked that a wrestler turned actor not named Dwayne Johnson wasn't horrific. Decent popcorn flick, but little more. I thought about posting this in the GotG thread as well, but there are some crazy people in there saying this is the best movie they have ever seen, so I got the hell out of that thread immediately.

EVERY movie OT has these posts:

Best movie I've seen in a LONG time.

My favorite movie of the year.

Saw it last night and today, probably going to see it tomorrow before I make my final decision, but I love it.

Better than *Cap2/ASM/Apes/whatever*

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy tonight, and thought it was just OK. Admittedly, I'm not a die hard comic book guy, and knew almost nothing about this particular franchise going in. With that said, it was just a standard Marvel movie with more comedy (some that worked, some that didn't) thrown in. I thought the villain was insanely underdeveloped, and the action scenes were pretty bad. Batista was nothing special (not bad either), and those movie reviewers singing his praises were probably just shocked that a wrestler turned actor not named Dwayne Johnson wasn't horrific. Decent popcorn flick, but little more. I thought about posting this in the GotG thread as well, but there are some crazy people in there saying this is the best movie they have ever seen, so I got the hell out of that thread immediately.

So Marvel is continuing their tradition of making perfectly average movies? That's good, I guess. Thought this one was supposed to be different tho

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
EVERY movie OT has these posts:

Best movie I've seen in a LONG time.

My favorite movie of the year.

Saw it last night and today, probably going to see it tomorrow before I make my final decision, but I love it.

Better than *Cap2/ASM/Apes/whatever*

OT tries to point its nose upwards to gaming side, but movie side OT is ten times worse with the hype machine than gaming side. Ten times.

strobogo

Banned
OT tries to point its nose upwards to gaming side, but movie side OT is ten times worse with the hype machine than gaming side. Ten times.

I can't believe how many people see movies in theaters multiple times. Over a weekend sometimes. 3 or 4 times. What the fuck. You can't just see it, then wait for the DVD to come out 3-6 months later? Movies are expensive. I'm not seeing anything in theaters multiple times even if I'm getting in for free and loved it.

I can't believe how many people see movies in theaters multiple times. Over a weekend sometimes. 3 or 4 times. What the fuck. You can't just see it, then wait for the DVD to come out 3-6 months later? Movies are expensive. I'm not seeing anything in theaters multiple times even if I'm getting in for free and loved it.
I rarely see any movie more than once, even if I loved it. Keeps the magic.

Showaddy

Yeah his delivery was great, completely deadpan seems to be his thing. His actions scenes were a bit disappointing though even if that's not entirely his fault.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I used to see movies multiple times in highschool. Different groups of friends, plenty of free time, relatively cheap, air conditioned in the summer.

Heel

I respect Plywood's F&P endorsement, but I just can't bring myself to watch another super hero movie. I think I snapped sometime around Iron Man 2, when the highlight of the whole movie was a man dancing.

strobogo

Banned
I used to see movies multiple times in highschool. Different groups of friends, plenty of free time, relatively cheap, air conditioned in the summer.

The cheapest movies are in my area are a little over $7 after taxes during week day matinees. Which isn't bad when I hear people bitching about $15-20 tickets. But still. I can wait for Redbox to rewatch a big movie.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I respect Plywood's F&P endorsement, but I just can't bring myself to watch another super hero movie. I think I snapped sometime around Iron Man 2, when the highlight of the whole movie was a man dancing.
Oh. Well dancing is big in this movie, don't watch it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The cheapest movies are in my area are a little over $7 after taxes during week day matinees. Which isn't bad when I hear people bitching about $15-20 tickets. But still. I can wait for Redbox to rewatch a big movie.

Back in the day the cheapest matinee was a buck or two but that theater sucked.

The big issue was that successful movies took way longer to hit VHS/DVD. Now a days the big blockbusters will be out on multiple formats in half the time it took an absolute bomb to get released on tape.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I watched A Goofy Movie at the 'poors' theater downtown. I also remember my parents buying all the Disney VHS's as soon as they came out and getting the little picture with it. Still got those somewhere, those were awesome. I loved the big, fat Disney VHS cases
Compared to this cheap looking shit

strobogo

Banned

IM2 is okay. I like all the Marvel Studios movies except for Thor 2, which I thought was straight up dog shit. It was bad. Not even the great chemistry of Thor and Loki could save it. It was like the Star Wars prequels mixed with Star Trek TNG and Lord of the Rings. But with Thor and Loki. Terrible. I like Marvel movies. I like they way the look, they are fun to watch, make me pop for cool references and scenes, and pretty much everyone is excellently casted (minus Don Cheadle. Bad recasting choice to me.) All of that being said, only Iron Man 1 and The Winter Solider really broke through to a different level of good. The rest are just easily enjoyable, fun to watch movies that are mostly fluff, but capture the spirit of the comics. Those two rise above hate and everything else.

IM2 is okay. I like all the Marvel Studios movies except for Thor 2, which I thought was straight up dog shit. It was bad. Not even the great chemistry of Thor and Loki could save it. It was like the Star Wars prequels mixed with Star Trek TNG and Lord of the Rings. But with Thor and Loki. Terrible. I like Marvel movies. I like they way the look, they are fun to watch, make me pop for cool references and scenes, and pretty much everyone is excellently casted (minus Don Cheadle. Bad recasting choice to me.) All of that being said, only Iron Man 1 and The Winter Solider really broke through to a different level of good. The rest are just easily enjoyable, fun to watch movies that are mostly fluff, but capture the spirit of the comics. Those two rise above hate and everything else.
The next Thor movie needs to start with every non Asgard character fucking dead and just an hour and a half of Thor wrecking shit and banging Lady Sif.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I never got around to seeing Thor 2, Iron Man 2/3, the second half of the Avengers, the Hulk movie, or Winter Soldier.

Out of the ones I did see.

Thor: Bad and amazing at the same time. Some great comedy in this movie surrounded by a crispy coating of shit.

Iron Man: Kinda bleh.

Captain America: Awful first half, gets a bit better near the end.

Avengers. Not witty characters being too witty because Joss be Joss. Still pretty good from what I saw.

Punisher Warzone was the shit though.

I was with you until the Iron Man 1 praise, that movie is just so... OK. Thor 2 was the last one I watched and it was probably the only Marvel film that veered into bad territory, like you said. Gonna check out Winter Soldier this weekend.

For a studio that really tries to play it safe I really did like the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Just a great way to lampoon The Joker.

Edit: Oh, wait. Yeah, the second half of Captain America was really dreadful. Forgot about that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hard times is not having a tailor to fit Totally Buff's suits and making them look even more stupid than normal, daddy.
image2esjx8.jpg

and I've already been over this. Fuck super hero movies. Fuck'em

strobogo

Banned
Got all the classics here, brah

Things I like about WCW PPV boxes:

They reused the same promo pictures. The picture of Hogan on Road Wild 1999 is from 1994 or 1995. The picture of Goldberg on Souled out 1999 was the same picture they used on his home video, which was also used as reference for Revenge, and looked like he had a really bad cold. The same pictures of Hogan and Flair are used for Superbrawl and Uncensored 1999. The Picture of Flair I believe is from 1995, while the Hogan one is from the start of the nWo before they even had the official logo. GAB and Spring Stampede use a picture of Sting from early 1998, probably 1997. Definitely 1997 for Fall Brawl 1999. Same picture of Nash is used 3 times in the same year.

Then you have Fall Brawl 1998, which has a picture of Goldberg helping Sting to the back. From Nitro. Goldberg wasn't even on the show.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Things I like about WCW PPV boxes:

They reused the same promo pictures. The picture of Hogan on Road Wild 1999 is from 1994 or 1995. The picture of Goldberg on Souled out 1999 was the same picture they used on his home video, which was also used as reference for Revenge, and looked like he had a really bad cold. The same pictures of Hogan and Flair are used for Superbrawl and Uncensored 1999. The Picture of Flair I believe is from 1995, while the Hogan one is from the start of the nWo before they even had the official logo. GAB and Spring Stampede use a picture of Sting from early 1998, probably 1997. Definitely 1997 for Fall Brawl 1999. Same picture of Nash is used 3 times in the same year.

Then you have Fall Brawl 1998, which has a picture of Goldberg helping Sting to the back. From Nitro. Goldberg wasn't even on the show.

They also look hilarious when lined up by year on the WWE Network, only 9.99 per month with a six month commitment.

RBH

09d7584cad6726ef025d855c4175d7be_XL.jpg

Unknown-1.jpg

Unknown-7.jpg

TNA Executive Director Kurt Angle has just announced two incredible matches for #TNANYC next week (August 5-7). First on August 5, it will be Samoa Joe vs Low Ki as the two iconic X-Division performers square off one-on-one for the first time in years!

On August 6th, a tag team dream match is scheduled! In a triple threat match, it will be TNA World Tag Team Champions The Wolves facing The Hardys and Team 3D. Last night, The Wolves and The Hardys stole the show at Destination X. When Team 3D joins this battle, we expect a match for the ages!

Already announced for NYC, war hero Chris Melendez is set to make his debut.

Japanese legend Tajiri will also be in action all 3 nights.

Additionally, Hardcore Justice is scheduled to be taped and will feature the return of Six Sides of Steel!
http://www.impactwrestling.com/news/item/5982-Major-Matches-Announced-for-TNANYC-Tapings-Next-Week

strobogo

Banned
They also look hilarious when lined up by year on the WWE Network, only 9.99 per month with a six month commitment.

In 1995, the same picture of Hulk Hogan is used on 5 of the 9 PPV posters.

I'm pretty sure Starrcade 1993 actually uses a WWF promo picture of Ric Flair. It is in fact the picture used on the character select screen in Royal Rumble.

Top Bottom