• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Xater

It's really weird to see people shitting on the first two, and even more bizarre to see some suggest the newer ones are better. Raimi's Spider-Man films had character, which is more than can be said for most super hero movies, especially the Marvel ones.

I re-watched all of the Raimi ones when they were released on Blu-ray and they really don't hold up that well. They are nowhere near as good as the modern Marvel ones. The pacing of them is just weird and they have so much annoying stuff in them. Still better than Spider-Man reboot flicks though.

Every Spidey movie sucks. Spider-Man 2 probably isn't even that great anymore. I did like the newer ones. They still kinda suck though.

Those pictures of Sasha Banks earlier.....I want to fuck her into the dirt.

Drunk in Vegas, forgive me.

I think I've started to drink more than anyone I know. I am getting on that Stro level.

I feel like an old man with all these comic movies, they're all shite and not deserving of the EXTREME praise and hyperbole comic book nerds ascribe to them. Dark Knight was the fucking worst, because people were hyping it like some cinematic masterpiece, when it's just another comic book movie with a big budget, some star power and nice direction. It's still a fucking ridiculous, mostly shite comic book film. Like they all are - not that there's nothing wrong with that, there's nothing wrong with a bit of dumb, mindless entertainment every now and then, but nerds should stop acting like these films are the be all and end all of cinema.

Was coming in here to say the same thing. How does Liz rank on the BHBS?

Will buy. Bret's always a straight shooter in those interviews even if he is a whiner. Fuck, I was amazed how candid they let him be on his DVD for the WWE.

He buried Flair so hard in it, you can smell the bitterness inside him.

Xater

I feel like an old man with all these comic movies, they're all shite and not deserving of the EXTREME praise and hyperbole comic book nerds ascribe to them. Dark Knight was the fucking worst, because people were hyping it like some cinematic masterpiece, when it's just another comic book movie with a big budget, some star power and nice direction. It's still a fucking ridiculous, mostly shite comic book film. Like they all are - not that there's nothing wrong with that, there's nothing wrong with a bit of dumb, mindless entertainment every now and then, but nerds should stop acting like these films are the be all and end all of cinema.

As a film critic I could not disagree more about The Dark Knight. That film is excellent. Great direction, great performances and great execution on it's themes. Is it perfect? No, but it's still quite excellent. It's also anything but dumb.

Edit: I shouldn't argue with Wrestling fans on films. Probably futile.

When you compare the Dark Knight to Batman & Robin, you can understand why nerds get super excited. It's all in perspective. I don't think anyone honestly is comparing Dark Knight against real cinema classics, such as Terminator.

As a film critic I could not disagree more about The Dark Knight. That film is excellent. Great direction, great performances and great execution on it's themes. Is it perfect? No, but it's still quite excellent. It's also anything but dumb.

If you take away Oldman and Ledger's performances and Nolan's direction, that film would have nothing. It's not a bad comic book movie, in fact it might be the BEST comic book movie, but does that mean it's deserving of being ranked as the 4th best film of all time?

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Fuck no. This is what I'm talking about. Fucking comic book movie nerds incapable of seeing the inherent flaws in their favourite films.

Shawshank was fine, I understand why people rate it so highly - they do so for the very same reason I have no desire to watch it again; it's schmaltzy and slightly mawkish in its tone. They're the same sort of people who love the ending to Saving Private Ryan. Or that film in general, beyond the opening 10 minutes.

...Shawshank at the very top? hmm.

That entire list is odd, and the only answer I can think of is 'internet', which annoys me.

177. How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) 8.1
178. The Princess Bride (1987) 8.1
179. Stand by Me (1986) 8.1
180. Incendies (2010) 8.1
181. Amores Perros (2000) 8.1
182. The Wizard of Oz (1939) 8.1
183. Ben-Hur (1959) 8.1
184. Avengers Assemble (2012) 8.1
185. There Will Be Blood (2007) 8.1

The hell.

If you take away Oldman and Ledger's performances and Nolan's direction, that film would have nothing. It's not a bad comic book movie, in fact it might be the BEST comic book movie, but does that mean it's deserving of being ranked as the 4th best film of all time?

Fuck no. This is what I'm talking about. Fucking comic book movie nerds incapable of seeing the inherent flaws in their favourite films.
But that's a huge part of the movie. Oldman, Ledger and Nolan definitely make the movie. But you can't say that taking that away would make the film shit. The Godfather wouldn't be close to the same without Brando, Caan, and Pacino. It just seems bizarre to say. You can say that about almost any movie.

I don't think it's the 4th best movie ever, but I give it props for being a summer blockbuster without being something stupid. Being a movie for the casual audience while also being able to have interesting themes.

Nolan truly did something special.

Toki767

Watching Smackdown...the thought just occurred to me...when was the last time Cesaro won a match? Like a week or two after Mania?

You can say that about almost any movie.

True, but it seems to me that a lot of what makes TDK a great film is riding on those two awesome performances and Nolan's flashy direction. The film's praised for its themes and it IS nice to see a comic book movie take a more mature approach to narrative and storytelling, but in general I found that it went about it in such a heavy handed manner that it only really stood out amongst other comic book films. It's a clear step above the average summer blockbuster, but it's no masterpiece in my estimation.

AyKlZR6.jpg

Has everyone watched this yet? If there's only one New Japan match you watch all year, make it this one;

AJ Styles vs Minouru Suzuki - G1 Climax Block B - (NJPW 2014/08/01)

Watching this now, I've always got time for Bret. People say he's a crybaby or whatever, but I hold him in higher esteem than just about every one of his peers. Bret >

Edit: I shouldn't argue with Wrestling fans on films. Probably futile.

Yeah, they just don't have the sophistication to fully appreciate the cinematic art-form. Fuckin' trailer trash yokels.

jred2k

^My favorite exchange in that match is when they both come off the ropes and Aaj tries to stop quick for a lariat, but Suzuki ducks under and gets him in a sleeper hold.

Xater

You have to remember that on sites like this there usually is some form of weighted rating. So if more people rate it highly it's way easier to get to the top. So of course a very good blockbusters rises that highly. The older the film the more likely there are less ratings and then it doesn't really matter how high it gets scored because of how scores are weighted.

I'd never put any comic book movie I have seen so far above The Godfather for example but on a personal level of course I might enjoy it more. That's why I have seen the Godfather like 3 times and TDK probably 5 times.

njean777

Can anybody really say what the best movie of all time is though? People squabble way to much over subjective opinions. I mean somebody could think Sharknado is the best movie ever and they wouldn't be wrong either. There is no objective statement to the best movie ever, and there never will be either. That is why when people try to claim this game or movie is better than this one are just laughable to me. There is no "best" when it comes to subjective opinions.

Xater

Can anybody really say what the best movie of all time is though? People squabble way to much over subjective opinions. I mean somebody could think Sharknado is the best movie ever and they wouldn't be wrong either. There is no objective statement to the best movie ever, and there never will be either. That is why when people try to claim this game or movie is better than this one are just laughable to me. There is no "best" when it comes to subjective opinions.

Yes it would, yes it would....

RBH

docmachoman.jpg

WrestlingDVDNews.com can now exclusively reveal that the new “Macho Man” Randy Savage WWE DVD will be officially released on Tuesday, November 18th, 2014.

There are three editions planned – a standard 3 disc DVD, a 2 disc Blu-ray, and a “Collector’s Edition” DVD box set.

It’s titled “The Randy Savage Story” as of now. Lanny Poffo, brother of Randy, is said to be heavily involved with narration.

Synopsis

“Macho Man” Randy Savage was best known for his time in World Wrestling Federation (WWF) and World Championship Wrestling (WCW). Savage held 20 championships during his professional wrestling career. He held 6 world championships between the WWF and WCW, having won the WWF Championship twice and the WCW World Heavyweight Championship four times. A one time WWF Intercontinental Champion, WWE (formerly WWF) has named Savage as the greatest champion of all time.

“The Randy Savage Story” focuses on the life and career of Randy Macho Man Savage. The title chronicles the highs and lows of Randy’s life and career, and shows that while he was extremely driven and highly successful, he was a complex person who also had his struggles over the years. Later in his life, Randy remarried and found peace before his tragic and untimely death.

We can also exclusively confirm that a limited edition “Randy Macho Man Savage – Collector’s Edition” DVD box set is in the works and to be released at the same time. This will have special tin packaging and right now is planned to include the following items:

• 6 DVDs (New 2014 Randy Savage Story DVD & 2009 Macho Madness DVD)
• Randy Macho Man Savage T-Shirt
• Randy Macho Man Savage Bandana
• Randy Macho Man Savage Sunglasses

More than 20 interview subjects are said to be involved including the likes of Lanny Poffo (brother), Judy Poffo (mother), Hulk Hogan, Lex Luger, Diamond Dallas Page, Jerry Lawler, Ricky Steamboat, Kevin Nash, Bret Hart, Jimmy Hart, Gene Okerlund, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Ted DiBiase and Jake Roberts. A documentary main feature is expected.

Information we’ve received on the planned extras to the “story” refers to match picks against Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Shawn Michaels and Ted DiBiase. Those are subject to change before the content listing is finalized and are not detailed any further than that.

Expect to see “The Randy Savage Story” DVD/Blu-ray up for pre-order in the coming weeks.
http://www.wrestlingdvdnews.com/news-on-wwe-randy-savage-story-dvd/70261/

Xater

I enjoy the WWE documentaries. I'd watch this Randy Savage one. I also want to see the Paul Heyman one.

I think now that they are working in some form working with Sting it might be a good idea to do one about him.

RBH

The biggest event in Mexican wrestling, Triplemanía XXII, is just around the corner; and this is the moment when AAA’s biggest rivalries reach their climax! On August 17th at 18:00 CT, Arena Ciudad de Mexico will be at its capacity, buzzing with emotions, with fans eager for a unique experience never before seen in any venue within Mexico.

This year, in order to accommodate the millions of AAA and Lucha Libre fans around the world, AAA will make Triplemanía XXII available on Pay-Per-View via SKY within Mexico in both SD and HD formats, as well as via internet-Pay-Per-View for fans around the world. IPPV is available for pre-order now by visiting www.luchalibreaaa.com.

With Triplemanía XXII being the seventh edition of their largest annual event to be broadcast via PPV on SKY which also broadcasts major company events such as Rey de Reyes and Guerra de Titanes, AAA arguably remains the most successful Mexican Lucha Libre promotion with PPV presence in the world.
http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-...ess-release-for-triplemania-on-ippv-in-the-us

1. Aero Star/Jennifer Blake/Mascarita Sagrada/Pimpinela Escarlata vs. Super Fly/Sexy Star/Mini Abismo Negro/Black Mamba

2. Torneo por el AAA Cruiserweight Title/AAA FUSION Campeonato – Participants: Daga (c)/Fenix (c)/Angelico/Australian Suicide/Bengala/Jack Evans/Joe Lider/Hijo del Fantasma/Pentagon Jr./Ricochet

3. Por el Reina de Reinas: Fabi Apache (c) vs. Taya Valkyrie

4. Steel Cage Match where the loser must get shaved or unmasked – Participants: Blue Demon Jr./Electroshock/La Parka Jr./Averno/Chessman/Jeff Jarrett

5. 4 Way Dance por la Copa Triplemania XXII: Cibernetico vs. Myzteziz vs. Perro Aguayo Jr. vs,. Luchador Sorpresa

6. Mascara contra Caballera: Psycho Clown vs. Hijo del Texano

Sephzilla

i agree with you to an extent about Dark Knight. its still a good movie but its got bigger flaws than people really want to accept. the entire sequence of joker attacking dent's convoy, getting caught, and breaking out is a massive pile of plot contrivances. the plot would also move along a lot faster if Dent, Gordon, and Batman talked to each other like normal people instead of speaking in stupid cryptic statements.

and this isnt really bad writing but the whole 'batman taking the fall for dent's crimes' bit at the end is awkward and forced as fuck, because it doesn't really make sense outside of 'this fits what it takes to make a tragic ending'

strobogo

Banned
Every Spidey movie sucks. Spider-Man 2 probably isn't even that great anymore. I did like the newer ones. They still kinda suck though.

Those pictures of Sasha Banks earlier.....I want to fuck her into the dirt.

Drunk in Vegas, forgive me.

I think I've started to drink more than anyone I know. I am getting on that Stro level.

Motherfucker, you ain't ever gonna be on my level

Cagey

Banned
When you compare the Dark Knight to Batman & Robin, you can understand why nerds get super excited. It's all in perspective. I don't think anyone honestly is comparing Dark Knight against real cinema classics, such as Terminator.
People (read: insane delusional fanbois) wanted it to win the Oscar.

njean777

Oh my god at the new Cesaro theme. Holy shit that is terrible.

Oh god just saw the swagger match on smack down, so this is how far Cesaro has fallen. FFS why? Why are they doing this to him?

kiguel182

What? Dark Knight was a legit good movie. Great cinematography (like all Nolan's movies), great pacing and great acting.

It wasn't the best movie of all time but it was a damn good one. It was not dumb fun.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
TDK wasn't anything special. Yall weird.

However since "nerd culture" feels like it has to keep announcing that they've made it, that's why people do stupid shit like hail every comic movie like the next coming of Jeezus.gif - same scenario with the Last of Us. Mediocre.

strobogo

Banned
TDK wasn't anything special. Yall weird.

However since "nerd culture" feels like it has to keep announcing that they've made it, that's why people do stupid shit like hail every comic movie like the next coming of Jeezus.gif - same scenario with the Last of Us. Mediocre.

TDK is good. It isn't great. Great for a comic movie. Which I think we can all agree have different standards. Shawshank is just a boring, schmaltzy movie that doesn't have boom mics in shots. If someone told me it was a Lifetime Original, I'd believe them.

Sid

AyKlZR6.jpg

Has everyone watched this yet? If there's only one New Japan match you watch all year, make it this one;

AJ Styles vs Minouru Suzuki - G1 Climax Block B - (NJPW 2014/08/01)

Watching this now, I've always got time for Bret. People say he's a crybaby or whatever, but I hold him in higher esteem than just about every one of his peers. Bret >

Yeah, they just don't have the sophistication to fully appreciate the cinematic art-form. Fuckin' trailer trash yokels.
The match is nice but the commentary is awesome even though I can't understand a word of it.

kiguel182

TDK is good. It isn't great. Great for a comic movie. Which I think we can all agree have different standards. Shawshank is just a boring, schmaltzy movie that doesn't have boom mics in shots. If someone told me it was a Lifetime Original, I'd believe them.

What does it keep it from being great in general for you?

strobogo

Banned
What does it keep it from being great in general for you?

The boat scene mostly. I don't really have an issue with people thinking it is great, though. I really, really, really enjoyed it. I think it is silly that it is ranked so high on best of ALL TIME. But I think it is even sillier than Shawshank is even in the top 50 all time. But it's often number one and that's just god damn ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Whenever Shawshank is brought up I have to post this junk
aetdi7F.jpg

Top Bottom