• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Brie's stuff isn't that bad, she isn't getting Kelly Kelly 'best wrestler in the company' pushes she is working blood feuds where it probably doesn't matter if she isn't the best wrestler she just wants to beat some people up.

More women stuff I'm all for, I like how I can still have AJ vs Paige and Steph vs Brie.

Speaking off, I really enjoyed AJ vs Paige. :) Paige is soooo good at being a heel. <3 Happy birthday luv.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I fell asleep during the promo package for Brock and Cenar. The rest of the card though was really quite strong. Loved Steph and Brie. Steph is like the Brock of the Divas division. So strong. So brutal. She's a special occasion sort of wrassler. Her only flaw is the goofy way she runs, must have picked it up from No Mercy. Brie looked pretty good too.

New Japan announced the cards for the next tour - there's a couple of Korakuen shows at the start and end of the tour with some good looking matches, Ibushi's return match on 09/05; Ibushi & Goto vs Makabe & Honma and on 09/15; Tanahashi & Makabe vs Goto & Shibata. Then, there's the two Destruction events on the 21st and 23rd, the first of which should be an iPPV;

NJPW “DESTRUCTION IN KOBE”, 9/21/14 (WPW)
Kobe World Hall

1. Tomohiro Ishii, Rocky Romero & Alex Kozlov vs. Yujiro Takahashi, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
2. Alex Shelley, Maximo & BUSHI vs. TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo, El Desperado & Taichi
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tomoaki Honma vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask & Captain New Japan
4. Special Tag Match: Kazushi Sakuraba & Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi
6. Special Tag Match: Tetsuya Naito & Kota Ibushi vs. AJ Styles & Tama Tonga
7. Special Tag Match: Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
8. Special Singles Match: Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto
9. Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata
10. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Bad Luck Fale (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

NJPW “DESTRUCTION IN OKAYAMA”, 9/23/14 (Samurai! TV)
Convex Okayama

1. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Maximo & Captain New Japan
2. YOSHI-HASHI vs. Yujiro Takahashi
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & BUSHI
4. Rocky Romero & Alex Kozlov vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (c) vs. El Desperado & Taichi
6. Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & Gedo vs. Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo
7. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
8. Special Tag Match: Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga
9. Special Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs. AJ Styles & Doc Gallows
10. Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contender Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Karl Anderson

The first card definitely looks stronger - excited to see Ibushi in the ring with Styles, while another Shibata vs Tanahashi match is always welcome. Shinsuke winning his title back? Okada vs Anderson should be good on the second night and I'm looking forward to the jr. tag title match.

strobogo

Banned
lol at all the smarky marks shitting on Reigns. That match was fine. Definitely his best singles match so far. And significantly better than Cena's 2003 PPV outings (at the same number of years wrestling) against Brock and Taker, who were better than Orton is now. Brock was one of the best in the world in 2003 and couldn't get anything out of Cena. Taker was still in his prime and had another 6-7 years of excellent matches and couldn't get anything out of Cena. At 4 years in, Roman is way better than Cena was at 4 years in. Cena improved a lot. I don't see why no one thinks Roman is going to get any better than what he is right now.

Also wtf at the lambert jacket match being called a match of the year. It was a wacky ECW match without the weapons or blood. I just want them to have a real match with out running all over the building and a bunch of shenanigans. A fight where they knock the shit out of each other and not run away from each other.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They're saving that for next month or the month after.

That Lumber Jack match was pure joy and the crowd loved it. I was hooting and hollering at my monitor.

Think about this though. Daemon Kane runs into a great match and people shit on it.

Korporate Kane runs into a great match? Makes it even better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rusev/Swagger was a surprise, Rusev is a wonderful darling amazing man for selling how well he did. That's a guy who did everything right, right there.

Ambrose vs Rollins was pretty nice.

I echo what Boots said about Bork vs Cener to be a match that told a story above an excellently worked match. It worked fine, it'll be remembered for the story it told and not the in-ring action. Which is just fine with me. Story trumps all for me.

Ithil

lol at all the smarky marks shitting on Reigns. That match was fine. Definitely his best singles match so far. And significantly better than Cena's 2003 PPV outings (at the same number of years wrestling) against Brock and Taker, who were better than Orton is now. Brock was one of the best in the world in 2003 and couldn't get anything out of Cena. Taker was still in his prime and had another 6-7 years of excellent matches and couldn't get anything out of Cena. At 4 years in, Roman is way better than Cena was at 4 years in. Cena improved a lot. I don't see why no one thinks Roman is going to get any better than what he is right now.

Also wtf at the lambert jacket match being called a match of the year. It was a wacky ECW match without the weapons or blood. I just want them to have a real match with out running all over the building and a bunch of shenanigans. A fight where they knock the shit out of each other and not run away from each other.
Problem with that comparison is Cena in 2003 was a midcard heel, fully two years away from being a main event guy. Reigns is apparently six months from that role and already getting the show starting to be built around him.
And Cena was already really good at talking by then, anyway, which can make up for meh in ring performances.

strobogo

Banned
They're saving that for next month or the month after.

That Lumber Jack match was pure joy and the crowd loved it. I was hooting and hollering at my monitor.

Think about this though. Daemon Kane runs into a great match and people shit on it.

Korporate Kane runs into a great match? Makes it even better.

I don't even know why Damon Kane was out there. I missed how he became Korporate Damon again. It was like he was losing too much and The Authority said, "Nah, you ain't no Damon anymore, Damon Kane" and that was that.

Showaddy

The match was better than many expected because Orton saved it in the final 3rd with a few good spots, thinking Reigns came out of that looking good when he did close to nothing is insane. Seriously the crowd wanted Orton to win by the end.

How much better do you think Reigns is going to get in half a year when he's supposed to be the companies top guy?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't even know why Damon Kane was out there. I missed how he became Korporate Damon again. It was like he was losing too much and The Authority said, "Nah, you ain't no Damon anymore, Damon Kane" and that was that.

That's because it was literally one segment on RAW a few weeks ago. He walked in and gave Steph his mask. Next week, blammo! Korporate Kane. No words spoken.

Xater

I remember me saying you shouldn't shit on the Rollins/Ambrose match because of the stip before it happened. Turns out I was right.

strobogo

Banned
Problem with that comparison is Cena in 2003 was a midcard heel, fully two years away from being a main event guy. Reigns is apparently six months from that role and already getting the show starting to be built around him.
And Cena was already really good at talking by then, anyway, which can make up for meh in ring performances.

I think it is crazy to think WWE didn't have huge plans for Cena in 2003 to get big time PPV matches against Brock and Taker, the two biggest stars and Smackdown. And his bad performances delayed his full push to the top. Had Cena not put on two bad matches in his big opportunities, he would have been champion a year sooner. And if you think he was good at talking, go back and watch his rippity rap promos that were 50% dick jokes and 50% homophobic insults.

Cagey

Banned
The match was better than many expected because Orton saved it in the final 3rd with a few good spots, thinking Reigns came out of that looking good when he did close to nothing is insane. Seriously the crowd wanted Orton to win by the end.

How much better do you think Reigns is going to get in half a year when he's supposed to be the companies top guy?

The things people hear when they decide what they want to hear...

A crowd of smarky smarks applauding Big E for his boss powerlifting exhibition of three consecutive backbreaker lunges to Luke Harper doesn't mean the crowd wants Big E and Friends to beat the Wyatts. It's appreciation of good stuff.

imBask

Banned
I remember me saying you shouldn't shit on the Rollins/Ambrose match because of the stip before it happened. Turns out I was right.

it was a good match but I still think a ladder match or a no-dq could've been so much better. They STOLE the show a MiTB

Showaddy

The things people hear when they decide what they want to hear...

A crowd of smarky smarks applauding Big E for his boss powerlifting exhibition of three consecutive backbreaker lunges to Luke Harper doesn't mean the crowd wants Big E and Friends to beat the Wyatts. It's appreciation of good stuff.

Seems like you're just choosing to hear what you want as well. If you like Reigns that's fine but the crowd was super hot for the RKO pin and a lot quieter for Reigns winning. Maybe they just appreciated Orton carrying Reigns for the whole match and felt he deserve the win though?

Ithil

I think it is crazy to think WWE didn't have huge plans for Cena in 2003 to get big time PPV matches against Brock and Taker, the two biggest stars and Smackdown. And his bad performances delayed his full push to the top. Had Cena not put on two bad matches in his big opportunities, he would have been champion a year sooner. And if you think he was good at talking, go back and watch his rippity rap promos that were 50% dick jokes and 50% homophobic insults.

It's not like he main evented PPVs in 2003. He was just a "challenger of the month" to Lesnar, until Lesnar's proper feuds with Big Show and Angle started.

Cena's problem in promos has nearly always been content, not delivery, in regards to his un-PC raps. They didn't "plan" for Cena to be the top guy back then, in any case, they expected it to be Orton. Orton didn't work out that way in the end and they went with Cena by late 2004. Cena and Batista, anyway. Remember before his rap gimmick (which was a lucky break) Cena was a low card job guy, next to Orton who was being groomed for Evolution.

My point was the Cena/Reigns comparisons are flawed. They've basically manufactured everything for Reigns from the start, giving him records, all the hot tags and finishes, talking him up nonstop on commentary, and by late in the Shield's life calling him the "MVP" of the Shield and focusing all attention on him. Cena didn't get that early on, he found a gimmick that worked for him, and got over with it in the midcard, leading to a push and eventually working out to top guy for a number of reasons. Reigns seems far more like early days Orton to me.

The idea that WWE are "planning" their top guy is ridiculous. They can plan for guys to be stars because superman booking usually gets guys over with general crowds, but the top guy position can't just be "planned".

You're also disregarding that it's a different time now. Cena's match quality from 2003 would have killed him in 2014, because they do have a higher average standard of match now.

Cagey

Banned
Seems like you're just choosing to hear what you want as well. If you like Reigns that's fine but the crowd was super hot for the RKO pin and a lot quieter for Reigns winning. Maybe they just appreciated Orton carrying Reigns for the whole match and felt he deserve the win though?

That's not how the vast majority of wrestling fans think, or should think.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Roman Reigns is tearing this community apart, baby girl.

Also, still no desire to watch Raw even with Brock winning, but I do appreciate the Undertaker mockery. That was pretty good. And Ronda Rousey doesn't love herself enough appearing next to all these WWE types when she knows she's more popular than them.

Sephzilla

You know what surprised me most about Summerslam besides Lesnar squashing Cena? Stephanie McMahon showing up with 10 years of rust and being a more entertaining wrestler than Brie Bella.

Aiii

So not worth it
You know what surprised me most about Summerslam besides Lesnar squashing Cena? Stephanie McMahon showing up with 10 years of rust and being a more entertaining wrestler than Brie Bella.

I think you phrased this wrong, because I find it hard to believe you're amazed that Steph is more entertaining than Brie Bella.

Kaladin

I could overlook any ringrust with that outfit she was in. I said damn.

Ithil

It's extremely hard to NOT be a more entertaining wrestler than Brie Bella.

strobogo

Banned
It's not like he main evented PPVs in 2003. He was just a "challenger of the month" to Lesnar, until Lesnar's proper feuds with Big Show and Angle started.

Cena's problem in promos has nearly always been content, not delivery, in regards to his un-PC raps. They didn't "plan" for Cena to be the top guy back then, in any case, they expected it to be Orton. Orton didn't work out that way in the end and they went with Cena by late 2004. Cena and Batista, anyway. Remember before his rap gimmick (which was a lucky break) Cena was a low card job guy, next to Orton who was being groomed for Evolution.

My point was the Cena/Reigns comparisons are flawed. They've basically manufactured everything for Reigns from the start, giving him records, all the hot tags and finishes, talking him up nonstop on commentary, and by late in the Shield's life calling him the "MVP" of the Shield and focusing all attention on him. Cena didn't get that early on, he found a gimmick that worked for him, and got over with it in the midcard, leading to a push and eventually working out to top guy for a number of reasons. Reigns seems far more like early days Orton to me.

The idea that WWE are "planning" their top guy is ridiculous. They can plan for guys to be stars because superman booking usually gets guys over with general crowds, but the top guy position can't just be "planned".

You're also disregarding that it's a different time now. Cena's match quality from 2003 would have killed him in 2014, because they do have a higher average standard of match now.

The revisionist history on Cena not supposed to be a top guy is ridiculous. Also, if Roman is so bad, why haven't fans at live shows turned on him yet?

Marvel

could never
Steph was fucking awesome to watch.

Reigns had a great match with Orton :/ definitely my favorite from him thus far. I prefer the high angled spear too, looks nasty when it catches a brother in the upper chest.

Ithil

Which begs the question.

Why do the Bellas have jobs?

cena-injury-widget.jpg

showbiz-daniel-bryan-1.jpg

total-divas.jpg

None of which require them to actually be good at any point.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's 10 am the next morning and "WWE Champion" is still trending worldwide on Twitter, and "WWE World Heavyweight Champion" is the top trend on Facebook.

By WWE standards, that's mission accomplished right there. Have to imagine they'll be pretty disappointed if they don't pull huge ratings for Raw tonight.

imBask

Banned
tbh I don't mind the bellas and eva marie and etc, as long as we keep getting good matches from Paige and AJ for the actual title

without the shitty drama from the other divas, when would I ever go pee huh?

Aiii

So not worth it
So, time for some real talk predictions:
clipboard01jhsr7.jpg

How soon until they hit the reset button? I'm saying we're back to status quo by the end of September.

Top Bottom