• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Sephzilla

Kind of off topic but I wanted to bring it up with you guys. A discussion with my friends popped up during the Reigns/Orton match (because fuck actually watching that match). I think Randy Orton may have been hurt most by what we call the "titles are meaningless" era. One of the announcers said during the match that Orton was already a 12 time world champion. My friends and I collectively thought that it was kind of sad that he had these many title reigns already, because the guy isn't even 35 and he effectively cant go any further with his career.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
cena-injury-widget.jpg

showbiz-daniel-bryan-1.jpg

total-divas.jpg

None of which require them to actually be good at any point.

Nor require them to be in the ring. And yet, I see them in the ring. Almost every week.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
The things people hear when they decide what they want to hear...

A crowd of smarky smarks applauding Big E for his boss powerlifting exhibition of three consecutive backbreaker lunges to Luke Harper doesn't mean the crowd wants Big E and Friends to beat the Wyatts. It's appreciation of good stuff.

Yeah, I was in the live crowd. The crowd rallied around Reigns towards the end. Before that, it was a bit dead besides when Orton would taunt or boring chants would happen.

Sephzilla

So, time for some real talk predictions:
[image]

How soon until they hit the reset button? I'm saying we're back to status quo by the end of September.

I'll let you know after Raw. If Cena comes out and proclaims he's going to pull a Rocky 3 at Night of Champions, then less than a month.

I also think they straight up legit forgot the US title exists, similar to when Ambrose had it.

imBask

Banned
Kind of off topic but I wanted to bring it up with you guys. A discussion with my friends popped up during the Reigns/Orton match (because fuck actually watching that match). I think Randy Orton may have been hurt most by what we call the "titles are meaningless" era. One of the announcers said during the match that Orton was already a 12 time world champion. My friends and I collectively thought that it was kind of sad that he had these many title reigns already, because the guy isn't even 35 and he effectively cant go any further with his career.

that's mostly because he was often a "filler" champ, just there to fill the gap between 2 Cena runs. It's sad because Orton is one hell of a worker and he really got his shit straight after a while

Korporate Kane runs into a great match? Makes it even better.

Goldust stepping up to Kane was damn poetry, the other long time veteran jumps in to set Kane straight. Was a nice little touch. I'll eat crow on that match, I though the stipulation was dumb and it worked out way better than I thought.

That whole PPV exceeded my expectations and I am hyped for the RAW fallout

Sephzilla

that's mostly because he was often a "filler" champ, just there to fill the gap between 2 Cena runs. It's sad because Orton is one hell of a worker and he really got his shit straight after a while

Orton legit bores the fuck out of me because he's a rest-hold machine, his big spot moves are really stupid (that DDT), and his character devoid of any personality. The only thing he does that consistently impresses me is pull RKOs out of his ass.

Browny

Banned

And it's more sad that no-one would buy an Orton face turn to refresh him, because it's been done so many times before. He has very little to do for the next few months, unless he's being lined up for Batista...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_World_Heavyweight_Champions

Just look at all those Cena and Orton reigns. Most are of them are absolutely nothing.

No Mercy 2007 has a lot to answer for. Fuck - Two of Bryan's are for a day or less. That's sad.

Ithil

Yeah was going to say, Rusev really does sell well. Sold the ankle lock through the PPV & RAW last time as well.

He had actual tears in his eyes while selling his ankle during the camel clutch at the end of the match. That's commitment to selling.
I think if Rusev can survive the inevitable death of his evil Russian gimmick, he can go pretty far. He's good.

So, time for some real talk predictions:
clipboard01jhsr7.jpg

How soon until they hit the reset button? I'm saying we're back to status quo by the end of September.

Sheamus, Ziggler and Miz in a three man elimination match for all the titles.

Brock vs. Big Show.

Paige going another round with AJ.

Ithil

I thought Rusev was being a little underrated since day one on the main roster, he's always been pretty good in the ring. His gimmick is just really goofy and dated, it gets in the way of his wrestling.

Showaddy

The German announce team was probably marking the fuck out during the Brock match.

Oh yeah I really envy the Germans for getting their own announce team whilst us in the UK have to suffer through Cole & Co. I feel we deserve our own 2 man announce team of Regal & Barrett as well to make up for this.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh yeah I really envy the Germans for getting their own announce team whilst us in the UK have to suffer through Cole & Co. I feel we deserve our own 2 man announce team of Regal & Barrett as well to make up for this.

I want the German Commentary on the Network dammit. Give it to me!

Grew up on German commentary team, they were great, by the sound of it they're still the same guys that did Nitro and Raw on DSF.

New Japan announced the cards for the next tour - there's a couple of Korakuen shows at the start and end of the tour with some good looking matches, Ibushi's return match on 09/05; Ibushi & Goto vs Makabe & Honma and on 09/15; Tanahashi & Makabe vs Goto & Shibata. Then, there's the two Destruction events on the 21st and 23rd, the first of which should be an iPPV;

NJPW “DESTRUCTION IN KOBE”, 9/21/14 (WPW)
Kobe World Hall

1. Tomohiro Ishii, Rocky Romero & Alex Kozlov vs. Yujiro Takahashi, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
2. Alex Shelley, Maximo & BUSHI vs. TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo, El Desperado & Taichi
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tomoaki Honma vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask & Captain New Japan
4. Special Tag Match: Kazushi Sakuraba & Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi
6. Special Tag Match: Tetsuya Naito & Kota Ibushi vs. AJ Styles & Tama Tonga
7. Special Tag Match: Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
8. Special Singles Match: Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto
9. Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata
10. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Bad Luck Fale (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

NJPW “DESTRUCTION IN OKAYAMA”, 9/23/14 (Samurai! TV)
Convex Okayama

1. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Maximo & Captain New Japan
2. YOSHI-HASHI vs. Yujiro Takahashi
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & BUSHI
4. Rocky Romero & Alex Kozlov vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (c) vs. El Desperado & Taichi
6. Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & Gedo vs. Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo
7. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
8. Special Tag Match: Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga
9. Special Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs. AJ Styles & Doc Gallows
10. Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contender Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Karl Anderson

The first card definitely looks stronger - excited to see Ibushi in the ring with Styles, while another Shibata vs Tanahashi match is always welcome. Shinsuke winning his title back? Okada vs Anderson should be good on the second night and I'm looking forward to the jr. tag title match.
Seems like good shows, thanks Boots

strobogo

Banned
One of them is dating Cena. That's why

Because it's what inside them that counts.

cena-injury-widget.jpg

showbiz-daniel-bryan-1.jpg

total-divas.jpg

None of which require them to actually be good at any point.

Look at all that sexism. No way the women can have a job for anything other than who they bang. Even though they had jobs for years before they were boning who they are boning.

Lol, why bother watching the match, I'll just bitch about it because it must have sucked.

Y'all need Jeezus.

miserable

Grew up on German commentary team, they were great, by the sound of it they're still the same guys that did Nitro and Raw on DSF.

Carsten Schafer or whatever his name is has been commentating Raw since 94 i think

Really? This match kinda confirmed for me that Reigns isn't anyway near ready, he contributed so little to the match and Orton was actually more over than him by the end because he'd been carrying him throughout and done all the big spots.

Reigns will be ready next year = Reigns isn't ready yet.

I thought that was pretty implicit. I was just saying that he's still showing improvement so I think he will be ready next year sometime. He's adding new moves to his move set, and hitting them quite well (that spear wasn't great though).

He's green, but getting there. I know that's not interesting, but the crowds are genuinely behind him at live events. Will he be ready in time for when they put the belt on him? I'm not sure. It's going to be a close call I should think. How many PPV singles matches has he had? Yes Orton carried the match, but Reigns was far from a disaster and had probably his best singles match so far.

I want the announce team of Regal and Barrett that would be a million times better than what we have.

Anything would be. When Mean Gene can waltz in and deliver a damn fine sell of the PPV - and even have some fun with it in the process - and do it better than your current main announce team that has the biggest audience available to them on any given Monday - you have a serious problem.

Look at all that sexism. No way the women can have a job for anything other than who they bang. Even though they had jobs for years before they were boning who they are boning

Weren't the Bellas not ready since day 1, but the E was so desperate for a twin gimmick they called them up anyway.

Also the BELLAS QUIT and came crawling back after failing in other ventures

strobogo

Banned
Weren't the Bellas not ready since day 1, but the E was so desperate for a twin gimmick they called them up anyway.

Also the BELLAS QUIT and came crawling back after failing in other ventures

Horrible people. They should be banished from the WWE Universe and given one of these on the way out

ScarletLetterA.png

Kornflayx

Don't make me hate you Aiii. Only the WCW announce team was great (Lenz Retzer & Mike Ritter). The announce team on Premiere and Sky that came later (Carsten Schäfer & Günther Zapf) were goddamn shit. They make JBL sound like Jim Ross in his prime.

They also translate every match type, no matter how shitty it sounds in German. Geld auf der Bank Leitermatch......

Thanks for the horrible memories

iboaFD2lBNn2jL.gif

imBask

Banned
you guys should hear the hilarious french canadian commentary over TNA on RDS

Marc Blondin and Sylvain Grenier (from la resistance) are pretty funny, but it's really really dumb and they don't take anything seriously

Top Bottom