• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

- Following the Curb Stomp into concrete from Seth Rollins on Monday's RAW, Dean Ambrose refused medical treatment, according to a new storyline article on their website.

WWE says Ambrose suffered extensive head and spine trauma. They added that Ambrose is missing after escaping from WWE trainers. WWE's Dr. Chris Amann told the website:

"As you saw during the match with Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins, toward the end of the match, Dean had sustained what we thought was pretty significant head and cervical spine trauma, so as a precaution we immobilized his neck, placed him on a stretcher and removed him from the ring area and brought him backstage. At the time of bringing him backstage, he was responsive and was refusing transport to a local medical facility for further evaluation. He had removed the straps and surgical collar, said he refused to go and we haven’t seen him since."

Lol.

Brock vs. Ambrose sounds even cooler now.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Lol.

Brock vs. Ambrose sounds even cooler now.

With the curb stomp bit; they should just have Reigns come out and go "I could kick your ass for hurting my friend. But, apparently he's on the loose. Somewhere. WWE Trainers can't find him.

But don't worry. It's not like I've heard anything from him either. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do anything crazy like stalk you for hours and days and weeks on end, waiting for your guard to drop." Reigns just puts on his biggest shit eating grin and wanders off to the back.

Cue Paranoid Kane and Paranoid Rollins for weeks on end, expecting Ambrose to come out everywhere and anywhere.

Toyonobori (c) vs The Destroyer - WWA World Heavyweight Title - (JWA 1965/02/26)

Starting his career as a sumo wrestler, Toyonobori was lured to pro-wrestling by Rikidozan's JWA in the early 50's and became the secondary native star of the promotion, winning a number of WWA tag championships with Rikidozan. But it wasn't until 'the father of puroresu' died that Toyonobori got his moment in the spotlight, now acting as president of the JWA. He defeated The Destroyer for the Los Angeles version of the WWA World Heavyweight Title in December '64, but the WWA didn't recognise the switch and The Destroyer returned to LA and dropped the title to Pedro Morales (Beyer had his own version of the WWA title he kept so he could proclaim himself champion when he toured foreign countries and this was the version Toyonobori now possessed). Anywho, fast forward to early '65 and The Destroyer's back to reclaim his belt. Toyonobori's not the most emotive of wrestlers, but he's built like a brick shit house and solid enough in the ring with his sumo and judo background, however the match is mostly carried by The Destroyer, be it through his selling and technique throughout the protracted hold sequences, or his comedic timing that helped endear him so much to the Japanese people over the course of his career. Toyonobori holds his own here, but he doesn't have the charisma of Rikidozan, so it's left to Destroyer to keep the crowd enthralled and make his opponent look like a champion, which he does with a deft touch. Good structure to this one as well, all three falls feel distinct and important.

Later, after losing the WWA title to Luke Graham in Los Angeles, Toyonobori was replaced as president and the JWA started to focus on Giant Baba as the star, giving him the NWA International Title that had been held up since Rikidozan's death in '63 and was considered the main title of the promotion. Snubbed, Toyonobori attempted a coup and was fired by the JWA, but he took a disgruntled young wrestler Antonio Inoki with him and formed Tokyo Pro-Wrestling, promising Inoki he'd be the star of the promotion, which was the first real competitor to the JWA. However, within a year Inoki would return to the JWA and Tokyo Pro struggled without its young star. In 1966 Toyonobori ended up merging Tokyo Pro with upstart promotion International Wrestling Enterprise (which is famous for creating the first Japanese title to be internationally recognised as a World Title when Billy Robinson became the fist champion and then defended the belt abroad). The Destroyer wouldn't hold the WWA title again officially, but continued to defend his version around the world.

A lot more fun than the previous 2 days, although I'm not sure how much to attribute it to being the first wrestling I've watched while drinking in 5 months. Last day tomorrow.

It was a pretty fun day, even without being inebriated - Suzuki vs Okada especially, that fuckin punch from Suzuki was so awesome.

Incidentally, if you're interested in checking out the non-tournament matches from the final, I'd recommend;

TIME SPLITTERS (c) vs reDRagon - IWGP Jr. Tag Titles - (NJPW 2014/08/10)

Tetsuya Naito vs Tomoaki Honma - (NJPW 2014/08/10)

Karl Anderson vs Tomohiro Ishii - (NJPW 2014/08/10)

Hirooki Goto vs Katsuyori Shibata - (NJPW 2014/08/10)

Ishii vs Anderson was fine, but there was no way Ishii should have been wrestling with his shoulder in such bad shape, which is made especially clear with one scary top-rope spot towards the end.

strobogo

Banned
That Baba v Bruno match? I don't think I've seen that one. I really need to find a big compilation of 50s/60s JWA stuff - so much great wrestling and the picture quality's above and beyond most territory stuff from the time.

Yeah. About half way through. I don't think many people have seen much Bruno outside of his title losses to Koloff and Superstar, maybe against Larry Z, and some of his mid/late 80s stuff with Piper and/or Savage. Myself included. Quite a few moves that would go on to be used in MMA in this.

I don't think many people have seen much Bruno outside of his title losses to Koloff and Superstar, maybe against Larry Z, and some of his mid/late 80s stuff with Piper and/or Savage. Myself included. Quite a few moves that would go on to be used in MMA in this.

I've seen very little of Bruno - the Larry Z stuff, the match with Hansen at MSG and maybe a few more I'm forgetting. Shame WWE didn't put together a proper documentary and match compilation when Bruno was inducted.

Browny

Banned
August Wrasslin' |OT2| What? It's for charity!

This so much...

w9VTcjl.gif

strobogo

Banned
Bruno vs Baba 7/3/67

I doubt too many of us have seen many Bruno matches. There isn't a ton of footage of him out there. I don't know if there is any actual WWWF footage of him from the 60s. I think the earliest footage of him I've seen in WWWF rings was in 1971 when he lost the title to Ivan Koloff. Most of the footage of him is from when he was just outside of his prime to the very end of his active career. So this is interesting as it was probably just before he hit his prime. He was already the WWWF Champion at this point, 3 years into his reign. Which is fucking bananas to think he still had another FOUR YEARS left on that reign.

Anyway, this is in the JWA, which Boots has already explained. Short version is it was the main Japan promotion in the 60s. Baba and Inoki both worked for it and AJPW and NJPW spun out of it.

The first 20 minutes or so is pretty much exclusively hammer locks, key locks, kimuras, and Americanas. ALL arm work. Baba wins the first fall with a big chop and a knee drop. Early into the second fall, Baba tries to keep up the arm work, but Bruno slaps on an Anaconda choke and then an early version of the cobra clutch. Quite a few holds that would end up being used in MMA. The second fall is all about Bruno trying to hold on to the bear hug. He gets in on multiple times from all angles (traditional, from the back, on the mat front and back), but Baba manages to break it every time. Bruno picks up the second fall with a cross body block. The third fall is a bit more active, with Bruno still trying for the bear hug and Baba doing a lot more strikes. Naturally it ends in a draw. Bruno does have some really great knee/shin strikes through out the match.

It is interesting. Not always entertaining, but from a historical perspective, it is interesting. The majority of the match was holds on the mat, which is kind of weird since Bruno was one of the first big power guys. I'm not sure how familiar the Japanese crowd was with Bruno. If they weren't familiar with him, they seemed to quickly figure out the bear hug was his big move. I'm not sure Bruno really translates well outside of the US North East, where he was adored by pretty much everyone, but particularly minorities and the heavy Italian population in in the New England area. He wasn't working heel or anything, but Baba was clearly the fan favorite. It's an interesting time capsule match with one of the biggest Japanese stars (ever) against one of the biggest American stars (ever, if you just count WWWF/WWF/WWE) while they were both still young in their runs as top guys.

I've often wondered just how well known Bruno was back in those days - since he patched things up with Vince and went into the Hall of Fame, WWE have presented him as the biggest wrestling star of his era. However, while US fans would have known of him from the magazines, he didn't leave that north east area much and, internationally, I doubt he was regarded as highly as guys like O'Connor, Thesz, Kiniski, etc. for that very reason.

Watching that match now stro. Incidentally, I was reading about the history of the NWA International Heavyweight title and when Gene Kiniski came to Japan as NWA World Heavyweight Champion, he never defended the belt over there because the JWA had put so much stock in promoting the International belt they didn't want to reveal there was an even bigger title in the NWA.

strobogo

Banned
I've often wondered just how well known Bruno was back in those days - since he patched things up with Vince and went into the Hall of Fame, WWE have presented him as the biggest wrestling star of his era. However, while US fans would have known of him from the magazines, he didn't leave that north east area much and, internationally, I doubt he was regarded as highly as guys like O'Connor, Thesz, Kiniski, etc. for that very reason.

Watching that match now stro. Incidentally, I was reading about the history of the NWA International Heavyweight title and when Gene Kiniski came to Japan as NWA World Heavyweight Champion, he never defended the belt over there because the JWA had put so much stock in promoting the International belt they didn't want to reveal there was an even bigger title in the NWA.

There is also the weird thing about how talk came up of unifying the WWWF and NWA championships, with Bruno as the one to do it. And he decided that sounded like way too much work (which reminds me of Bockwinkel turning down the NWA in general because it was a lot more work than the AWA) and then the NWA picking Kiniski as the next NWA champ after a widely known series of matches with Bruno where Bruno decisively won. That whole era is so weird from the political stand point of how fucking bonkers each group was and how serious shit was.

Despite all the Roundtables on the territories, I don't think WWE has really explored them enough.

Also, Brok seemed to be turning into red Hulk. The longer the match went, the more red and super sweaty he got. What's up with that? Does he have some sort of blood pressure problem?

I did wonder, but went back to his match against the Big Show from 2002 and he got very red there too. I think it's just in his genes - I know people who are in good shape, good blood pressure but exetertion has just made their face turn incredibly red since childhood.

That's not to say I wouldn't be keeping an eye on it if I were Lesnar or the WWE given his body type and how dramatic it is...I just suspect it's something that happens to him and probably not indicative of a major problem.

Despite all the Roundtables on the territories, I don't think WWE has really explored them enough.

Definitely, they've barely scratched the surface - it'd be nice if they filmed a new batch, concentrating on each individual major territory. Also, the choice of guests isn't always great (too much Hayes, for one thing).

Some more documentaries would be appreciated as well. This is the sort of shit they should be filling the network with - they've got the footage, the guys to interview, the shit-hot editing and production, etc.

PInk Tape

Banned
Ambrose running from trainers and refusing medical aid is very... Ambroseish. What he did is how I think it should've been handled.

He's still in the shadows lurking and waiting to pay back Seth-kun for everything he's done; Shield breakup/buying into the Authority, putting him out of commission, and eating Ambrose's last bag of barbecue Takis.

What a monster.

Hasney

So what was the new music I was supposed to look out for last night?

I completely missed it.

Don't think they had a full new intro ready, but when graphics were up, a remixed version of Tonight is the Night that was much better than the original was on and some other song that was new.

Alucard

Banned
Really great ep of ROH this past weekend, bros. Def check it out when it hits rohwrestling.com this Friday.

ACH lost a tooth in a match against his former tag partner, Tadarius Thomas. One of the best TV matches I've seen all year.

Kevin Steen had a really fun final match against Steve Corino, including grabbing an El Generico mask from the crowd and wearing it while hitting a couple of yakuza kicks by the outside barriers.

And The Decade was featured prominently in each post-match segment.

Really good stuff.

Mengetsu

Man what a great main event. Glad to see this feud doing so well. Can't wait for Hell in a Cell.

If Ambrose and Rollins make it to To Hell In A Cell it will be Godlike. If anyone can make HIAC look good in PG Era it's those two!

So, who does Rollins face at NOC? No one?

I'd love it if Rollins gloats about taking Dean out once and for all untill the PPV and on it he teases cashing in but Ambrose re appears fucking him over again!
Leading into a Hell In A Cell for the MITB.

Top Bottom