• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Aja Kong vs Dynamite Kansai for the 3WA Championship (35:08 that's right, a womens' match that goes for half an hour. Can ya believe it?)
Aja Kong is the Brock Lesnar of Joshi in the 90s. So that's like being the Brock Lesnar of demi-gods or some shit. Promotion vs Promotion matches were all the rage back then in Japan what with your NJPWs and your UWFs. Actually kind of find it funny that Joshi mimmicks the 'old school style' much better than King's Road attempted to do. They wail on each other for a while then they try to do tests of strength because they're two of the bigger joshis at the time then they just start wailing on each other again. And man do they wail on each other.
ajakongsmackv2yny.gif

See? I was going to point out that I thought Aja looked pretty safe but basically from that point onward, she starts stiffing Kansai good and proper. Kicks her in the head a few times and even throws her out of the ring. The Wiley Dynamite Kansai says 'fuck that' and immediately rolls back into the ring. One Aja starts dominating though, she fucking dominates. It makes it really obvious why she has the title. Every time Kansai tries to come back, Aja will headbutt her or throw her into a ringpost. Even when Kansai gets a ropebreak, Aja does what EVERY wrestler should do and just pulls her into the next move instead of doing a clean break and walking away.
surprisebitch2dlm3.gif

SURPRISE. For someone as big and athletic as Kansai, she's really good at getting babyface heat. Or maybe Aja is really good at hurting someone and making you want to say, "Stop, stop! she's already dead!" There's a huge pop for Kansai about to do a crucifix powerbomb to Aja, but Kansai drops her and Aja falls on Kansai's back. I have no idea if this is a botch or not, but the crowd's pretty legit shook by it. It looked good either way, so if it was a botch, it just put over how big Aja was and how worn out Kansai was halfway through the match. It was actually really dramatic, and it's probably my favorite spot of the match. My favorite spot might have been a botch.

The crowd is loving Kansai when she starts getting her revenge. Including Kansai failing to piledrive Kong and instead just kicking her in the fucking head. They start to do a knockout count for this, but Kansai is pissed and forces Aja up. Which might be a bad idea later on. Aja looking like a Punch-out character trying to get up.The crowd explodes for the following sequence. Kansai is punch drunk selling her ass off when she gets up and Aja just walks over and starts Urakenning her. Over and over. Kansai's had enough.
kansaiajakongpunchh9jup.gif

Tell me this ain't the tighest shit you never seen.

This match is mostly submissions and strikes at the start, but it really picks up halfway through. It seems long but just watch it. I like it a lot. I was even 'oh shitting' a bunch towards the end. You might think it's a little sloppy, but that's a lot of the Joshi wrestling style. It's less in favor of your 'so crisp' moves and more after your 'let's get this visual through peoples heads that these two just want to mangle each other and don't care how pretty it looks to do it.' I can't defend that crummy piledriver from Aja though. It gets 5/5 Dumps
officerdumpb7cbq.gif
officerdumpb7cbq.gif
officerdumpb7cbq.gif
officerdumpb7cbq.gif
officerdumpb7cbq.gif

I had a Slim Jim for the first time in years while watching this. Macho Man lied, these suck. It gets an unimpressed Bull
unimpressedbullj1dhw.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Live Audio Wrestling @LAWradio
Triple H announces on Main Event that rematch between Brock Lesnar and John Cena will headline Night of Champions on 9/21 in Nashville

Doc-Rivers.gif

Cena wins, Rollins cash in, Seth-kun vs Scumbag Dean Ambrose at HIAC for the belt.

KissVibes

Banned
Even Punk got a rematch against the rock.

Wasn't the basis for that Punk saying he was screwed over and that he really won because he had nothing to do with The Shield? What's Cena's excuse? Food poisoning from fruity pebbles? Brock was juicing? He caught that "punk-bitchitis" he'd claimed Brock had?

Motherfucker Randy was seven years older than you. "Grew up", my ass.

Sting is thirty years old! FOREVER.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He...doesn't need an excuse beyond the bog standard rematch clause they've been using heavily since the Attitude era?

somedevil

Wasn't the whole point of putting brock in the match as to get the belt off Cena? Why are the so eager to give Cena a rematch then?

Who else do they have right now to face him? Batista is going to get a match with him but when is that going to happen because is Brock doing every pay per view?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You mean since the 1910s. You think that shit was a new thing from the Attitude Era?

WWF kinda skips it during hulkamania and often in the early new generation.

Most of it is because Hogan only lost the belt when he had to film something but title rematches weren't a guarantee in the mid 80's-90's at all.

strobogo

Banned
Why wasn't Eva Marie fined or fired for sexually harassing Miss Sandra? It was captured on film. She patted her pubic mound and taunted Miss Sandra with it. Stated that she knew Sandra wanted, "Miss Veronica", using a euphemism to refer to her vaginal area. I demand there be a full investigation into the lewd conduct of one Eva Marie.

Why wasn't Eva Marie fined or fired for sexually harassing Miss Sandra? It was captured on film. She patted her pubic mound and taunted Miss Sandra with it. Stated that she knew Sandra wanted, "Miss Veronica", using a euphemism to refer to her vaginal area. I demand there be a full investigation into the lewd conduct of one Eva Marie.

Who's Miss Sandra?

Raw Audience:

8pm: 4.281
9pm: 4.330
10pm: 3.972

Avg: 4.194

Down from last week and down 104, 000 compared to last year. When Lesnar appeared had the highest viewership. Sucks the third hour was down. It was an awesome match plus the viewership got a hit from the Johnny Manziel hype train.

Can you make some sense of these ratings, bean breath?
The numbers in the first hour where strong thanks to the show starting out with Daniel Bryan's theme, however the bait-and-switch by Stephanie made the #YesMovement very angry. Viewership grew in the second hour when Bryan fans told their friends and family to tune in because they were certain that the "idiot bookers" would make amends for what happened in the first hour by having Daniel Bryan actually show up. In the third hour numbers tanked when the reality that D.B. wasn't showing up set in, combined with Stephanie's first hour betrayal, which made viewers so upset that they even tuned out of a man event featuring two "great hands with amazing work rates".

This gives them a chance to see how much people have cancelled between the main event ending and Main Event, right the wrong, and start Reign 16 early. 3 birds with one stone, Cena Wins, spoilers

Striker

WWF kinda skips it during hulkamania and often in the early new generation.

Most of it is because Hogan only lost the belt when he had to film something but title rematches weren't a guarantee in the mid 80's-90's at all.
Sure it was always around, but not at the rate it is today. They had lot of viable threats in the late 90's and early 00's for the title. Now, you look at the roster, and since Cena just lost, who else is there capable of being a legitimate threat? There's no one, but if they hadn't booked many guys so poorly in the past six months/nine months/year, it wouldn't be so bad. The rematch thing got stronger when they did a brand split the rosters had less star power; so of course you would eventually always see Triple H, Cena, and Orton on RAW and Edge, Undertaker, and Batista for Smackdown.

Alucard

Banned
Aja Kong vs Dynamite Kansai for the 3WA Championship (35:08 that's right, a womens' match that goes for half an hour. Can ya believe it?)
Aja Kong is the Brock Lesnar of Joshi in the 90s. So that's like being the Brock Lesnar of demi-gods or some shit. Promotion vs Promotion matches were all the rage back then in Japan what with your NJPWs and your UWFs. Actually kind of find it funny that Joshi mimmicks the 'old school style' much better than King's Road attempted to do. They wail on each other for a while then they try to do tests of strength because they're two of the bigger joshis at the time then they just start wailing on each other again. And man do they wail on each other.
ajakongsmackv2yny.gif

See? I was going to point out that I thought Aja looked pretty safe but basically from that point onward, she starts stiffing Kansai good and proper. Kicks her in the head a few times and even throws her out of the ring. The Wiley Dynamite Kansai says 'fuck that' and immediately rolls back into the ring. One Aja starts dominating though, she fucking dominates. It makes it really obvious why she has the title. Every time Kansai tries to come back, Aja will headbutt her or throw her into a ringpost. Even when Kansai gets a ropebreak, Aja does what EVERY wrestler should do and just pulls her into the next move instead of doing a clean break and walking away.
surprisebitch2dlm3.gif

SURPRISE. For someone as big and athletic as Kansai, she's really good at getting babyface heat. Or maybe Aja is really good at hurting someone and making you want to say, "Stop, stop! she's already dead!" There's a huge pop for Kansai about to do a crucifix powerbomb to Aja, but Kansai drops her and Aja falls on Kansai's back. I have no idea if this is a botch or not, but the crowd's pretty legit shook by it. It looked good either way, so if it was a botch, it just put over how big Aja was and how worn out Kansai was halfway through the match. It was actually really dramatic, and it's probably my favorite spot of the match. My favorite spot might have been a botch.

The crowd is loving Kansai when she starts getting her revenge. Including Kansai failing to piledrive Kong and instead just kicking her in the fucking head. They start to do a knockout count for this, but Kansai is pissed and forces Aja up. Which might be a bad idea later on. Aja looking like a Punch-out character trying to get up.The crowd explodes for the following sequence. Kansai is punch drunk selling her ass off when she gets up and Aja just walks over and starts Urakenning her. Over and over. Kansai's had enough.
kansaiajakongpunchh9jup.gif

Tell me this ain't the tighest shit you never seen.

This match is mostly submissions and strikes at the start, but it really picks up halfway through. It seems long but just watch it. I like it a lot. I was even 'oh shitting' a bunch towards the end. You might think it's a little sloppy, but that's a lot of the Joshi wrestling style. It's less in favor of your 'so crisp' moves and more after your 'let's get this visual through peoples heads that these two just want to mangle each other and don't care how pretty it looks to do it.' I can't defend that crummy piledriver from Aja though. It gets 5/5 Dumps
officerdumpb7cbq.gif
officerdumpb7cbq.gif
officerdumpb7cbq.gif
officerdumpb7cbq.gif
officerdumpb7cbq.gif

I had a Slim Jim for the first time in years while watching this. Macho Man lied, these suck. It gets an unimpressed Bull
unimpressedbullj1dhw.gif

Sounds totally awesome and well worth checking out. The more joshi I watch, the more I realize that I really missed out on some special wrestling matches in the 90s.

Brehs, if Dean Ambrose isn't WWE champ in the next 12 months, this company has no hope. Seriously, the dude was like HBK + Stone Cold last night.

Reigns and Bryan are about to lose their spots.

Bahleeee daaaaat

Alucard

Banned
Just bought the ROH Field of Honor VOD from rohwrestling.com. Watched the first match before bed. Holy shit was that ever good. Matt Taven and Jay Lethal had a war outside and inside a steel cage.

This match included 9 straight superkicks from Taven to Lethal with Lethal TRAPPED between the ropes and the cage. It also featured a woman taking a crazy bump as she was climbing the back of the cage and was bounced off from inside. Hilariously, it also had Truth Martini RUNNING THE BASES while Lethal was on offense. So fucking funny to see with Martini in a bright red suit and holding the Book of Truth above his head. Finally, the match had this crazy spot:

Taven%20Lethal2.jpg

Taven actually HIT a frog splash from the top of the cage and didn't die. The impact looked FANTASTIC. Goddamn. So sad that he's not re-signing with the company after this great match.

ghostmind

New Japan announced the cards for the next tour - there's a couple of Korakuen shows at the start and end of the tour with some good looking matches, Ibushi's return match on 09/05; Ibushi & Goto vs Makabe & Honma and on 09/15; Tanahashi & Makabe vs Goto & Shibata. Then, there's the two Destruction events on the 21st and 23rd, the first of which should be an iPPV;

NJPW “DESTRUCTION IN KOBE”, 9/21/14 (WPW)
Kobe World Hall

1. Tomohiro Ishii, Rocky Romero & Alex Kozlov vs. Yujiro Takahashi, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
2. Alex Shelley, Maximo & BUSHI vs. TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo, El Desperado & Taichi
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tomoaki Honma vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask & Captain New Japan
4. Special Tag Match: Kazushi Sakuraba & Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi
6. Special Tag Match: Tetsuya Naito & Kota Ibushi vs. AJ Styles & Tama Tonga
7. Special Tag Match: Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
8. Special Singles Match: Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto
9. Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata
10. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Bad Luck Fale (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

NJPW “DESTRUCTION IN OKAYAMA”, 9/23/14 (Samurai! TV)
Convex Okayama

1. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Maximo & Captain New Japan
2. YOSHI-HASHI vs. Yujiro Takahashi
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & BUSHI
4. Rocky Romero & Alex Kozlov vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (c) vs. El Desperado & Taichi
6. Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & Gedo vs. Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo
7. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
8. Special Tag Match: Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga
9. Special Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs. AJ Styles & Doc Gallows
10. Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contender Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Karl Anderson

The first card definitely looks stronger - excited to see Ibushi in the ring with Styles, while another Shibata vs Tanahashi match is always welcome. Shinsuke winning his title back? Okada vs Anderson should be good on the second night and I'm looking forward to the jr. tag title match.

Both DESTRUCTION cards look decent, so I'm hoping that they both make it to iPPV.

KOBE
  • Interesting to see the Young Bucks continuing with NJPW - wonder if this is a short-term thing or not.
  • Maximo should make for an interesting tag match for KOBE - I'm sure he and Taichi will have some interesting interactions.
  • I'm not seeing Honma elevated like I think his work in the G1 warrants. Hopefully this will materialize in the long term.
  • Sakuraba gets dragged into the eternal Yano/Suzuki feud.
  • Taguchi is one of the last Jr. Heavyweights that I want to see win the belt, so I'm hoping that KUSHIDA prevails into an inevitable rematch with Ibushi.
  • Speaking of Ibushi - great to see him back in action. Hopefully he gets some decent time with AJ in the ring, and its not all wasted on Tama Tonga.
  • YOSHI-HASHI getting that push, hmm? I don't mind this at all.
  • Makabe vs. Goto could be good or a snooze-fest, but Shibata vs. Tanahashi could easily be MOTN. Cannot wait for that one.
  • Fale vs. Nakamura, hmmm? Have they lost confidence in the big man that quickly, and is Nak going to have another loss in a row?

OKAYAMA
  • Maximo and Captain New Japan LOL.
  • Is the match between Takahashi and YOSHI-HASHI not for the NEVER belt? Or is this chance for Tacos to prove he can contend for a title?
  • Young Bucks vs. Forever Hooligans should be fun, as should the Jr. Heavyweight Tag Title match.
  • And now Gedo and Taka get dragged into this stupid feud!
  • Honma is Makabe's stablemate, so I'm not sure if him being placed in a match versus Shibata and Goto has any more meaning than that. Hopefully it does.
  • Nakamura/Ishii vs. Tonga/Fale could end up being really good. Here is to hoping...
  • Naito, Tanahashi, Styles, Gallows. One of these things doesn't belong. I'm hoping that Naito and Tanahashi try to see who is the bigger asshole. Wait, that didn't come out right...
  • And then we come to Okada vs. Anderson, with the G1 contract on the line. I have doubts they would do it, but i would REALLY like to see Anderson win here, and throw everything into chaos (not that CHAOS). This could lead into Okada, Nak, etc trying to get the contract off of Karl as we get closer and closer to Wrestle Kingdom. Or Okada will just win it. We'll see.

dollar-cravings-menu.jpg

Hi WrassleGaf, I'm hungry and I have $3

• shredded chicken mini quesadilla
  • beefy Fritos burrito
  • beefy mini quesadilla
  • spicy tostada
  • cheesy bean & rice Burrito
  • cheesy roll up
  • triple layer nachos
  • spicy potato soft taco
  • Cinnabon Delights
  • Cinnamon twists