• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

KissVibes

Banned
Honestly, when was the last time a stable in the WWE started out as faces?

A stable of faces would be a great idea right now. Not to mention, times change. It would be stupid and counter productive for the WWE to have a stable of evil black men considering what is going on in the world we live in today.

So basically, those three guys are going to show up on RAW and outright blame the white man for holding them back because WWE is stupid and counter productive.

Paul Heyman Says WWE Never Wanted CM Punk To Begin With

Paul Heyman says that WWE wasn't interested in CM Punk early on. Heyman appeared on the Kidd Chris Show last week promoting SummerSlam and when asked about Punk, Heyman said that the company wasn't interested in him when he was in developmental.

Also read: Paul Heyman Says Fans Are Having A Hard Time With CM Punk Leaving WWE, Talks Sting In WWE

"They never wanted CM Punk to begin with," Heyman said. "When I was in Louisville, doing WWE Developmental, they sent CM Punk down to me so I could fire him. Every week I would send memos to guys who were in charge of the Raw and SmackDown rosters saying: ‘You have a main eventer down here; someone scoop him up' and no one would take him for a year—to the point when we launched ECW in WWE, I brought him with me because no one else on Raw and SmackDown even wanted him."
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/paul-heyman-says-wwe-never-wanted-cm-punk-to-begin-with-more

smh, fucking wwe..

Hasney

Oh yeah, that's been known for ages. He probably wouldn't have even been signed if it wasn't for recommendations from Foley and Steamboat who are apparently complete opposites in terms of taste of talent.

Heyman says it every time, Punk says it on his DVD.

EDIT: Should point out that was about Punk and not black people somehow.

Vince is a rich white conservative. I don't see them going with this stable unless they were an evil black stable.

What if they go Hassan with it and just have them talk about how they've been held down in a reasonable fashion and don't fight dirty. Like black people being WWE champion and things like that, then let the crowd decide. (They'll boo).

BHZ Mayor

It's funny how the promotions that are supposed to appeal to Southern rednecks have more black champions than the one that's supposed to have global appeal.

Gonzalez

Banned
What if they go Hassan with it and just have them talk about how they've been held down in a reasonable fashion and don't fight dirty. Like black people being WWE champion and things like that, then let the crowd decide. (They'll boo).

Pretty much... I wouldn't be surprised if most casual WWE fans were considered conservatives too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's funny how the promotions that are supposed to appeal to Southern rednecks have more black champions than the one that's supposed to have global appeal.

WCW always had way more diverse crowds than WWF. WWE has always been that way.

Anybody notice there's' way more gimmick posters in OT now?

RBH

20140822_LARGE_RawPreview_HoganMichaelsFlair_monday.jpg

Monday at 7:30 ET WWE Hall of Fame Forum

Catch a very special start to Monday’s Raw, featuring a rare Hall of Fame Forum. Join Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair as they break down the WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena rematch at Night of Champions.

strobogo

Banned

Southern redneck areas usually have larger black populations as well. I think there would be more black champions if there were more black wrestlers. Most promotions have like 5 at a time at most, with only 1 being truly talented. I don't know if racism keeps black athletes from becoming wrestlers and sticking with it, or if black athletes that might have gone into wrestling years ago are going to real sports.

Booker was truly talented and was rewarded for it in both companies. Mark Henry took a long time to be truly talented, but once he figured it out, he was rewarded. Ahmed Johnson definitely would have had a title run if he wasn't so injury prone, even though he didn't have the talent. Lashley also would have no doubt been a WHC/WWE champ with in a year had he not quit.

The only black wrestler in WWE over the past 10-15 years that I think could have legitimately been at least WHC was Shelton, but his garbage mic skills and confidence issues held him back forever. The talent pool for black wrestlers is so much smaller, and the talented ones with in the pool is even smaller for some reason. I don't get it. The black population is very under represented in pro wrestling, more than pretty much any form of entertainment I can think of. How much of it is full on racism and how much is guys choosing legitimate athletics of wrestling is a question I can't figure out.

Mengetsu

Source: F4WOnline

While TNA announced they will be on Wednesday nights with Spike TV through the end of the year, this does not mean that they are safe just yet. We noted before that the move to Wednesday nights was permanent but apparently that was just word put out from TNA.
There's a feeling within the TV industry that the ongoing negotiations between TNA and Spike are not serious and that TNA won't end up on Spike after this year.

Spike choosing to air a mini-marathon of Cops on Thursday night with Cops episodes in TNA's old time slot could be an indication of how they feel about TNA. Spike gets more ad revenue from old episodes of Cops than they do with pro wrestling at a lower cost.
Holy shit Cops reruns brings in more revenue for them! Cops!
KuGsj.gif

That was outdoors. I remember on a Legends of Wrestling episode on the network they said when your in the ring at an outdoor event, you can't hear anything. Its like you could hear a pin drop because all the sound of the crowd goes straight up instead of in an arena when it bounces all around. Plus they didn't have a lot of mics in the crowd to make it sound better on TV

Or the crowd thought the match sucked. Those are the 2 explanations.

I mean the match sucked but they weren't particularly rowdy either through any part of the match like in past WM main events so IDK. Maybe some sound was lost.

Finally into the sweet spot of 2002 where I'm getting the slow decline of the WWF becoming the WWE & HHH Show, mixed in with the insane intense ROH shows & the comic relief of CHIKARA. Throw in a few CZW and MLW shows and things are pretty interesting.

I've forgotten nearly all of this 2002 ROH stuff. Christoper Street Connection/DA Hit Squad feud has me in stitches just for how gimmicky and absurd it is (considering the whole ROH 'NO GIMMICK' thing). There's been a few times where I've thought Da Hit Squad were going to legit hurt/kill someone with the way they throw people around.

Christopher Daniels is amazing in his arrogant prick role, I have no idea why this wasn't pushed hard in TNA. The Low-Ki/Daniels/American Dragon matches are pretty damn good though. Also, I think I've found the EXACT moment Daniel Bryan's career was ended... Christopher Daniels worked his neck hard back in Round Robin!

It's also funny how often Steve Corino will say 'Look at how good these guys are now, I wonder where they'll 10 years from now!' whenever Spanky and Paul London are around. Speaking of Paul London his debut match was sickening as he broke Chris Marvel's leg.

I've forgotten nearly all of this 2002 ROH stuff. Christoper Street Connection/DA Hit Squad feud has me in stitches just for how gimmicky and absurd it is (considering the whole ROH 'NO GIMMICK' thing). There's been a few times where I've thought Da Hit Squad were going to legit hurt/kill someone with the way they throw people around.

It's crazy to me that Gabe thought the very best way to open up the first ever ROH show was to have two fat, shitty wrestlers recklessly beat the shit out of a couple of gay guys to warm up the crowd.

Christopher Daniels is amazing in his arrogant prick role, I have no idea why this wasn't pushed hard in TNA.

The Fallen Angel character was great, I've always been surprised he's never reprised it or something similar for a heel role.

Notes from F4W

- Why Willie Mack isn't in Orlando yet: As far as Willie Mack goes, everyone has different "arrival dates" for their first day. There are two other people who were also in the camp with Steen and Willie that have not moved to Orlando yet, but were offered to. All the dates are scattered. Just because you are in the camp together does not mean (even if you're all offered a deal) that you will be starting at the Performance Center together.

- Triple H and the four-finger flashing Stephanie know NOTHING about UFC. They aren't fans. They don't know most of the fighters. They don't get the hype of Rousey. HHH totally buries the Horsewomen since he was a Horsemen fan. It was Paul Heyman that did an amazing job hooking the girls up backstage, and cluing Steph in on who they are, and what they're about.

- The Horsewomen were the most over stars at SummerSlam, and there were a shit load of stars. The whole front row behind the commentators, and on the hard cam side, were all celebrity comps.

- All wrestlers have control of their own twitters, even HHH, Steph, Cena and Vince. Vince is learning twitter and there are people who help him at times (mostly because he's busy). HHH tweets his own stuff as does Cena. Some of talent do have kayfabe accounts to troll the internet.

- Internally, some have a countdown already as to how long it will take Vince to lose his mind and want the title back out, and defended on the road.

- People questioning how Vince McMahon looked while doing the ice bucket challenge, and Hulk Hogan's post-Raw birthday celebration: Vince is not ill. He has lost a few pounds, but is not sick. Some believe he's been doing DDP yoga - but he's not admitting to anything of that nature.

- Triple H and the four-finger flashing Stephanie know NOTHING about UFC. They aren't fans. They don't know most of the fighters. They don't get the hype of Rousey. HHH totally buries the Horsewomen since he was a Horsemen fan. It was Paul Heyman that did an amazing job hooking the girls up backstage, and cluing Steph in on who they are, and what they're about.

How can Triple H berry someone not employed by him? I don't have an Observer subscription so I'm not 100% certain as to the meaning of "bury". I do know what "Berry" means. Do we need another word for "talks trash about"?

"Why does Triple H barry the Horsewomen?"

How's that?

I love these stories they make up to rile up the Internet and turn them against the people behind the product. There was a vague "Dean Ambrose isn't seen as a main eventer" story which is fucking obvious, but it was presented in a way that made people cry about WWE not recognizing talent.

What does this even mean?

Means people internally don't think Vince will stick to the Lesnar plan and will at some point realize he doesn't want to go until WM with no world title on house shows knowing how Vince typically thinks about house shows. He's a big believer that the belt draws.

How can Triple H berry someone not employed by him? I don't have an Observer subscription so I'm not 100% certain as to the meaning of "bury". I do know what "Berry" means. Do we need another word for "talks trash about"?

"Why does Triple H barry the Horsewomen?"

How's that?

Bury has, for quite a while, been shorthand for "puts down or talks trash about".

I love these stories they make up to rile up the Internet and turn them against the people behind the product. There was a vague "Dean Ambrose isn't seen as a main eventer" story which is fucking obvious, but it was presented in a way that made people cry about WWE not recognizing talent.

That same site had a note earlier this week about WWE thinking TNA would be on Spike at least through December. And that was before the extension was announced. But you're right, it's all them making up stories.

Alucard

Banned
Finally into the sweet spot of 2002 where I'm getting the slow decline of the WWF becoming the WWE & HHH Show, mixed in with the insane intense ROH shows & the comic relief of CHIKARA. Throw in a few CZW and MLW shows and things are pretty interesting.

Christopher Daniels is amazing in his arrogant prick role, I have no idea why this wasn't pushed hard in TNA. The Low-Ki/Daniels/American Dragon matches are pretty damn good though. Also, I think I've found the EXACT moment Daniel Bryan's career was ended... Christopher Daniels worked his neck hard back in Round Robin!

It's also funny how often Steve Corino will say 'Look at how good these guys are now, I wonder where they'll 10 years from now!' whenever Spanky and Paul London are around. Speaking of Paul London his debut match was sickening as he broke Chris Marvel's leg.

Daniels was in incredible shape in the early and mid-2000s. Loved watching his work.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D

So apparently leading up to this event Harlem Heat has been using a cell phone to call someone to receive instructions on how to defeat their opponents. Upon their entrance to challenge the Nasty Books for the tag belts, they even mention that we get to find out who this mysterious manager is tonight! And then the Nasty Boys come out and...

HKtUTuq.png

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN HAVE THIS CREATED ALREADY, WCW? Hilarious.

Something else: Is it just me or is "The Butcher" the worst, phoniest promo ever? It's not even hammy -- he just sounds so contrived and atrocious.

Oh my god, is that Kanyon in the RAW I have playing in the background right now?! It is! If you'll excuse me...

PInk Tape

Banned
I have some exclusive production stills from the upcoming WWE reboot of Twin Peaks

WWE Twin Peaks

Staring: Dean Ambrose as Special Agent Dale Cooper, Linda McMahon as The Log Lady, Stephanie McMahon as Laura Palmer, Vince McMahon as Leland Palmer, El Torito as The Man From Another Place, Vince Russo as MIKE/Phillip Gerard, and Bo Dallas as BOB (Beware of Bo).

This looks amazing; I can't wait for it to be on the Network.

Alucard

Banned
In case you're wondering whether or not to check out ROH TV this weekend (FREE @ rohwrestling.com), here is part of ACH's tooth which got knocked out after a kick from his former tag partner, Tadarius Thomas.

ACH-Tooth.jpg

Gonzalez

Banned
What's the most boring sport to watch live?

1. Football
2. Golf
I've never been to a Golf tournament, but I can voucher for American Football being super boring. All that down time between plays, and the lack of digital first down line that you get at home really exposes how average the sport is.

Alucard

Banned
I've never been to a Golf tournament, but I can voucher for American Football being super boring. All that down time between plays, and the lack of digital first down line really exposes how average the sport is.

The down time is what totally kills it for me. And it's not like baseball where the game is SUPPOSED TO be a little more laid back. Football is supposed to be a fast action sport, but it's utterly bland in person.

Best live sports IMO:

1. Soccer
2. Hockey
3. Tennis

Oh dear, WrassleGAF sports discussions. I'm pre-emptively cringing now before Vince has a chance to see this and excrete his awful soccer opinions again :p

Golf has to be the worst live experience. Perfect example of a game that's fine to play, but awful to watch. Cricket is super dull on TV as well - it's OK live because, similar to baseball, a lot of the experience is about eating BBQ and getting drunk with your pals.

Top Bottom