• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

I can already hear his promo.

"Six...teen. That's the number everyone's been talking about for the past week. It's the number that I've been hearing everywhere I go. On every television channel, and on every website. Six...teen.

It's a big number. And as the WWE Universe knows, sixteen is the number of times that Brock Lesnar suplexed me at Summerslam. He demolished me. He brutalized me. He victimized me. But he didn't finish me. And that was his mistake.

Because you see, sixteen has another meaning for me. A very special meaning. And at night of Champions, people won't be talking about sixteen suplexes. No way, jack. It ain't gonna go down like that. At Night of Champions, the number sixteen will be significant for a whole other reason. At Night of Champions, -I- will win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship for the sixteenth time! And for the sixteenth time I will be able to say...the champ...IS...HEERRRE!"

*doo doo doo doooooo...doo doo doo doooooo*

+ whether you love me or you hate me, I love you guise!
+ I have respect for this business
+ I WILL NOT GIVE UP
+ yelling at random intervals with voice screeching and cracking

DMczaf

I'm sorry to break up Cena Promo, but there is something important and serious to talk about.

xxna75X.gif

Lxrh4Ko.gif

lejgBPT.gif

BHZ Mayor

Just got to this Paul Bearer promo and he's talking about how Kane said he wanted to be like Taker, and he asks "how do think that makes me feel," and you can just barely hear an audience member,

"Like a big fat piece of shit!"
dead.png

The crowd had no chill back then. All these such and such "is a sissy/gay" signs, perverted Sable signs, especially the "Sable can't wrestle but I'd love to see her box" one.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anyone else watching ESPN at the moment

Arena Football League, Arena Bowl XXVII is going on
They just did a Yes! Yes! Yes! Daniel Bryant chant when the home team scored...

It was out of nowhere his theme was playing, crowd and players chanting

Just got to this Paul Bearer promo and he's talking about how Kane said he wanted to be like Taker, and he asks "how do think that makes me feel," and you can just barely hear an audience member,

"Like a big fat piece of shit!"
dead.png

The crowd had no chill back then. All these such and such "is a sissy/gay" signs, perverted Sable signs, especially the "Sable can't wrestle but I'd love to see her box" one.

That Paul Bearer promo is one of my favorite promos in history... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x154grp_paul-bearer-in-ring-promo-king-of-the-ring-1998_sport

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Manami Toyota just bit Aja Kong's arm in this tag match I'm watching, and it did not turn out too well for her. Kong has that Stunnin' Steve style of 'I'm on your ass the whole time I'm beating you down' mentality. Like you're not just gonna get a suplex and get a breather. You're gonna get a shoulder tackle, a kick in the ass(literally), a suplex, and a corner splash.

Oh I like this move.
leglocksbjsuw.gif

BHZ Mayor

Watching the Shamrock/Rock final:

JR: What did she say? (referring to Chyna at the Spanish announce table)
HHH: Something about Taco Bell, I don't know. They wanna go to Taco Bell or something. They wanna get a burrito supreme.
King: Run for the border.
JR: You're not bilingual?
HHH: There's a lot of bi things I am, but lingual's not one of 'em.

NONE, and I mean ABSOLUTELY NONE, of this would fly today.

Edit: And this is when Triple H was a face.

Edit 2: "Testes 1, 2. Testes." This is so fucking immature.

Edit 3: The Rock looked WAY stronger in this match than he did in the Severn match.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There are so many god damn dropkicks in this match, you have no idea.
dropkickbackoftheheadthsyw.gif

Gentlemen, allow me to introduce you to the triple suplex
triplesuplexo5s71.gif

Which is kicked out after a 1 count. I fucking hate Inoue.

DMczaf

WM2000 is the worst of Attitude Era all wrapped up in a single PPV. If you have never watched it in it's entirety, please do so.

1997 Attitude Era is the only good Attitude Era. Maybe half of 98 too.

strobogo

Banned
WM2000 is the worst of Attitude Era all wrapped up in a single PPV. If you have never watched it in it's entirety, please do so.

1997 Attitude Era is the only good Attitude Era. Maybe half of 98 too.

Really until the Radicalz jumped ship, match quality for the AE was dog shit for the most part. It was about the stories and characters, which are not nearly as cool in 2014 as they were in 1998.

I wonder how the MNW will cover the Radicalz. I mean, that was a pretty big deal and kind of hard to ignore. Maybe they'll just talk like Eddie was the only important guy to jump.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's kind of crazy in 1994 that an all womens' wrestling event that lasted 10 hours could sell out Tokyo Dome. It wasn't crazy back then, but you think about it now, and you think 'no way.' Which is sad because that's regression. That's MAJOR regression.

This is the event if no one's ever seen it before. I don't know if all of it is up there, but the major matches are.

Featuring Little Great Muta featuring an Afro.

It's kind of crazy in 1994 that an all womens' wrestling event that lasted 10 hours could sell out Tokyo Dome. It wasn't crazy back then, but you think about it now, and you think 'no way.' Which is sad because that's regression. That's MAJOR regression.

This is the event if no one's ever seen it before. I don't know if all of it is up there, but the major matches are.

Featuring Little Great Muta featuring an Afro.

What happened?

Was there no one to follow after the old generation?

Is the short career life of most joshi to blame?

Or did the public just stopped caring?

Thanks!

What happened?

Thanks!

The WWE of joshi AJWPW went defunct causing a buch of smaller promotions to rise in its place . Kind of like hat happened when WCW want out

Also Wrestling in general hit a down swing post 2000 in japan.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What happened?

Thanks!
Most of the big names in joshi stuck around long after the boom. Aja, Bull, Toyota, Hokuto. It wasn't that. And a lot of money problems happened after the boom because there was all sorts of seedy deals in Japanese wrestling at the time. I think FMW was supposed to be financed by the Yakuza, for example?

Wrestling's nowhere as big as it used to be in Japan in general. People talk about NJPW, but current NJPW isn't shit compared to how the big companies were in the 80s and 90s. And it wasn't just one, it was multiple ones. It's why Brody and Hansen didn't job in the US because they wanted to make sure they were looking strong in Japan. One of the biggest 'if you made it' goalposts is still if you made 'Andre in Japan' money.

+ whether you love me or you hate me, I love you guise!
+ I have respect for this business
+ I WILL NOT GIVE UP
+ yelling at random intervals with voice screeching and cracking

+ Some people say I have no chance of beating Brock. They all say that he is too strong, a beast and I have no chance. Sure they could watch our recent match where I beat him clean for no good reason. But we are all pretending that didn't happen, so this is still the biggest challenge of my life in the hardest year of my career. A year that started with me beating Brock clean and led me to the moment where I can rise up and beat Brock clean again.

Alucard

Banned
I'm currently watching and writing a review for ROH's Field of Honor show, which took place on August 15th. Some shots from the early going of the VOD:

Shot of MCU park and the steel cage all set up and ready for Matt Taven vs. Jay Lethal.
FOH.jpg

Scarlett Bordeaux, formerly of OVW, sang the national anthem and hit a couple of painful notes.
Scarlett-Bordeaux.jpg

The opening promo package for the show has Corino wearing an ROH baseball shirt...which I'd love to have.
Corino.jpg

And the opening match has Matt Taven hit a BEAUTIFUL frog splash off the top of the cage onto Jay Lethal. Seriously. He couldn't have hit it any better and it looked spectacular.
Taven-Lethal2.jpg

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Ditch Decades 1

So maybe I killed Inoki Era. I don't know. I can't imagine THAT many people even looked at his page from my recommendation. Well, Ditch has been around for years and I can't kill that site even if I tried. Which I wouldn't, because it is rad. So what I'm going to do is take a match from the 70s/80s/90s/2000s and put them in a review. Maybe a match from the 2010s sometimes. Which means mostly just AJPW/NJPW, but we'll see. Really depends on what the Network is updating to see how regularly I do these.

Included in this review:

• Antonio Inoki vs The Destroyer 5/19/71 JWA
  • Tatsumi Fujinami vs Dynamite Kid 2/5/80 WWF Junior Heavyweight Championship
  • Owen Hart vs Jushin Liger 4/28/91
  • Jun Akiyama/Yuji Nagata vs Keiji Mutoh/Hiroshi Hase 10/8/01

ibsr9TbbqOOGg0.gif

i802nJWPOYPJr.gif

iblSYR2az8L2xP.gif

iBAK6Mn57MgTW.gif

ih7Rcfg2Qmlms.gif

The one that you should go out of your way to see is Akiyama/Nagata vs Muta/Hase. It is excellent.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Usos have had the tag titles for 5 months, but it feels like 3 years because they're so fucking boring, so fucking bland, so fucking vanilla. They have to be friends with Cena or something, I can't imagine there's any other reason why they're getting pushed for so long. For comparison, Rhodes Bros only had the titles for 3 months despite being far more over than the Usos ever were.

I hate the Big Show, but I'm hoping The World's Largest & Strongest squash Usos in 3 minutes flat and the Usos can go to Superstars and either learn some more exciting high flying or bulk up and be monsters(monsters monsters) instead of being Kofi Kingston x 2.

tumblr_narsg1ysXQ1qf7xjao2_250.gif

Edit: Holy shit at that Platinum thread

Hasney

Jared was on a recent Powerbombcast and said the following:
"the rare and uncommon Eva Marie are actually the more common of those tiers, so when you run into somebody who just so happens to have a Eva card, chances are shes a god damn beast because ALL RED EVERYTHING IS TAKING OVER"

Dammit. She'll probably have the first 100 rating in 2k15.

strobogo

Banned
SNME episode 18 has a Rusev/Swagger styled flag match between Doogun and Zhukov. No poles, no winner is the first to retrieve or raise their flag. Standard match with the winner getting a giant flag of his country to hang from the ceiling. It also features Ted Dibiase repeatedly referring to Hercules as his slave (as he purchased Herc's contract from Heenan, complete with Jesse bringing up Roots and Vince being disgusted with the idea of slavery in 2014 1988, but no one being bothered at all that Ted clearly thinks of treats Virgil like his personal slave.

Also had clips of police brutality as an officer (Big Boss Man) beat a dark skinned man (Hulk Hogan) on a different show. Hulk would then asks Slick how he would feel if every Hulkamaniac got to beat him with a stick, calling him, "boy" at the end of this. He would go on to say he was going to pervert the justice system by appointing himself judge and finding Brother Love guilty without a trial, promising to execute him as well.

He then handcuffs and assaults Brother Love, a man of the cloth, as Vince McMahon says it is one of the greatest moments in television history.

Never realized how ripped Rip Rogers was back in the day.

Bvqqre2CQAApWfd.jpg

+ Some people say I have no chance of beating Brock. They all say that he is too strong, a beast and I have no chance. Sure they could watch our recent match where I beat him clean for no good reason. But we are all pretending that didn't happen, so this is still the biggest challenge of my life in the hardest year of my career. A year that started with me beating Brock clean and led me to the moment where I can rise up and beat Brock clean again.

I can already hear his promo.

"Six...teen. That's the number everyone's been talking about for the past week. It's the number that I've been hearing everywhere I go. On every television channel, and on every website. Six...teen.

It's a big number. And as the WWE Universe knows, sixteen is the number of times that Brock Lesnar suplexed me at Summerslam. He demolished me. He brutalized me. He victimized me. But he didn't finish me. And that was his mistake.

Because you see, sixteen has another meaning for me. A very special meaning. And at night of Champions, people won't be talking about sixteen suplexes. No way, jack. It ain't gonna go down like that. At Night of Champions, the number sixteen will be significant for a whole other reason. At Night of Champions, -I- will win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship for the sixteenth time! And for the sixteenth time I will be able to say...the champ...IS...HEERRRE!"

*doo doo doo doooooo...doo doo doo doooooo*

Annnd same ol'shit Cena's promo is written. Not amazingly difficult though when he's delivered the same basic promos for the last eight years.

I truly hope none of you bought that CZW show.

Nope, the card looked absolutely brutal. Deej is such a horrible booker - he seems to think that doing shit like teasing AR Fox for the main event but then not delivering is a great way to get heat. Or putting on lengthy in-ring talk segments between matches that he has to fucking KNOW the crowd are going to despise. I hear Nate Webb's coming back, though!

7OtvldK.gif

How bad? I've been kinda thinking about checking out CZW lately

It's awful. Shane 'Botchamania' Strickland is the jr. champ, while Biff Busick's being wasted in a shitty heel stable and the roster's at its lowest level of talent in quite some time. CZW under Deej's booking used to be bearable because of all the talented guys (and AR Fox) who were regularly on the shows, but now it's just Gulak and Busick. Everyone else fucking sucks.

Mengetsu

Well I got some bad news. Apparently Cory Graves put a tweet out saying "And it was going so well" and then deleted it. This might be the end of him :/

Top Bottom