• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
babbys
TEiLVZv.jpg

I also found a Bruiser Brody and Stan Hansen goldmine of youtube videos, but I don't want to strobogo it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They probably want an audience bigger than just the wrestling weirdos who stay home on a Friday night.

There's two theories about Smackdown on Fridays.

1. While wrestling can draw very well on Thursdays the right show could do about as well for less on the same time slot because Thursdays is still the best night for TV in America.

2. Wrestling has a built in nerd community and while the numbers will be lower on Friday nights they won't be as low as scripted television on the same time, which has died a death since TGIF ended.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ScyFy doesn't have strong programming so I'm kinda shocked it took them this long to consider moving back to Thursdays. Maybe WWE has a rider in their contract that makes them pay more for the right or something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_natzpeN1AW1t34v14o1_500.jpg

The Brody Scale.

Terry Funk vs Bruiser Brody is the slugfest you expect. My favorite part is actually the brawl at the end. Brody and Funk are bloody messes, especially Brody. There's blood all over his legs, blood on Funk's wrist tape, blood everywhere. Funk goes after Brody on the outside and Snuka punches him. They get into it and Funk's like 'I'm not your girlfriend, you ain't killing me' and tosses Snuka inside and puts him in the spinning toe hold. Match is thrown out, a streamer hits Brody in the face who has wrapped the chain around his fist and hits Funk in the head. Then Brody puts Funk's leg on the rope and ties it with the chain (kayfabe obv) and proceeds to attempt to break Terry's leg. Old Man Dory Jr has had enough and comes out and punches Brody and Snuka then Snuka punches Dory with the chain. Then all the red shirts come in and try to seperate them while they ring the bell constantly.

There is utter chaos, and the dudes seperating them seem like they're not very good because they constantly land blows. Terry comes over and starts punching Snuke. Terry has the greatest looking punch OF ALL TIME. Dory's doing axehandles to Snuka. Brody's finally like 'fuck this I'm not defending ol girlfriend killer' and leaves through the audience in a drunken stupor impression of 'I can't'
brodyleavingkrsy7.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I never really appreciated Terry Funk until I started getting into 80s AJPW stuff. I always just knew him as that old dude who did bad moonsaults, but he's incredible in the territory days. He's so loose cannon, he's so wild looking, he moves so differently from everyone else, and yeah, Ambrose is apeing his selling hardcore. Which is a good thing. His punches are sweet too. I like how he cocks back and then blasts people with them. And his promos are phenomenal.

Terry Funk also had a young female Japanese fanbase. He really IS proto Ambrose

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
So...I need to be honest about something. I actually really like Total Divas. :( Not because of the Divas aspect of it but I like seeing behind he scenes stuff of the WWE. I know most of it is only what they let you see but some if its is pretty cool. I have always been fascinated by the backstage stuff.

Also, I want to give ring of honor a whirl. Can I just start with the latest or do I need to start at an earlier date?

Thanks guys!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And watch the 6 man tag with Brody/Hansen/Gordy vs Baba and the Funks and then when someone whose shit don't pop in Japan tries to tell you that they're just more quiet and respectful, point them to that video.

I can smell the paydays from that video. Everyone is so over.

I never really appreciated Terry Funk until I started getting into 80s AJPW stuff. I always just knew him as that old dude who did bad moonsaults, but he's incredible in the territory days. He's so loose cannon, he's so wild looking, he moves so differently from everyone else, and yeah, Ambrose is apeing his selling hardcore. Which is a good thing. His punches are sweet too. I like how he cocks back and then blasts people with them. And his promos are phenomenal.

I was the same with Terry, only knew him as the crazy-ass old guy from ECW and IWA Japan until I started watching stuff from the 80's and earlier. He's had a pretty wild career trajectory and I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to call him one of the best singles and tag wrestlers there is.

Terry Funk also had a young female Japanese fanbase. He really IS proto Ambrose

Does this mean Dean's going to release a smooth jazz album as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Lj_4kwZck

Also, I want to give ring of honor a whirl. Can I just start with the latest or do I need to start at an earlier date?

Just jump in with the latest show - there's a hell of a lot of difference between old-school ROH and modern ROH, but both eras aren't particularly storyline heavy and the current commentary team do a good job explaining things. Also, PWG are well worth checking out.

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Ditch Decades 2

Included in this set:

• Terry Funk vs Jumbo Tsuruta NWA Championship 6/11/76
  • Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen 9/11/82
  • Jumbo Tsuruta vs Mitsuharu Misawa 9/01/90
  • Vader vs Jun Akiyama Triple Crown Championship 1/23/00

All were fun, but go out of your way to see both of those Jumbo matches. Terry Funk: Slightly unhinged technical wrestler is a blast if you've only seem him as the crazy wild man brawler type. Jumbo is one of the best wrasslers of any era in any country. The Jumbo/Misawa feud is the highest level of generational conflict in wrestling.

ibshXuCQFnZ8wo.gif

iCuaXOF4wKfuP.gif

iFsbAuWjkuGli.gif

ib1kxQt6POGmXB.gif

ibeTFLxXjDS2jB.gif

The stereotype of Japan crowds being quiet and respectful is a stereotype from the 60s-70s. It's not like that at all in most top matches you'll find from the late 70s on. They get louder than American fans most of the time, they just don't have random asshole hecklers or guys trying to start stupid chants.

Recall

So the Hell in a Cell main event from Vengeance 2005 of Batista (World Champ) vs. Triple H totally caught me off guard with how physical and entertaining it was. Batista was over something fierce too.

I was expecting Triple H to win due to the stipulation of it being the last encounter between the two as they were feuding, but he put over his friend and made a quite shocking finish.

Goddamn, I really wish that Bryan vs Suzuki match had been taped.

Jumbo is one of the best wrasslers of any era in any country. The Jumbo/Misawa feud is the highest level of generational conflict in wrestling.

So much this. It's such a simple story, only heightened by some awesome wrestling and pure excitement from the crowd/commentator, and Baba laid it out perfectly. Also, I love grumpy Jumbo - Tenryu is probably my favourite grumpy old wrestler, but he was always an asshole. Jumbo being a fucking cunt towards Misawa was so awesome because it was so out of character, but fit perfectly with the story of him trying to protect his standing from the young upstart.

Heel

Bob Sapp tops bill for Pyongyang fight night

About 20 wrestlers and martial artists from around the world are expected to attend. Organizers say the event — dubbed, rather blandly, the International Pro-Wrestling Festival in Pyongyang — will be broadcast over the Internet, aired on Japanese network television and also shown on North Korean state-run TV.

It’s all the brainchild of Kanji “Antonio” Inoki, a savvy showman and charismatically eccentric Japanese politician who is one of the only members of Japan’s parliament who supports — and actively participates in — exchanges of any kind with North Korea. Inoki, who has visited North Korea nearly 30 times, was suspended by parliament for a month after making an unauthorized trip to the North last year.

ibdsXM6AxhjR53.gif

Once again, the latest PWG is all over the net before most people's orders have arrived in the US, a week before the UK Highspots site will start shipping them out and over a month before it'll be available as an MP4 download. I keep hearing that they don't release the MP4s when the DVD ships so as to combat piracy, but seems to me it only encourages it.
Maybe I should just download it, I ordered it from PWG, see if I can hold out. They do need to fix their MP4 situation.

Went to Reflex last night and there was an incredible Stardust and Golddust there.

10478938_10152286150453247_3298386202749667296_n.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Goddamn, I really wish that Bryan vs Suzuki match had been taped.

So much this. It's such a simple story, only heightened by some awesome wrestling and pure excitement from the crowd/commentator, and Baba laid it out perfectly. Also, I love grumpy Jumbo - Tenryu is probably my favourite grumpy old wrestler, but he was always an asshole. Jumbo being a fucking cunt towards Misawa was so awesome because it was so out of character, but fit perfectly with the story of him trying to protect his standing from the young upstart.

I think the best thing about the Jumbo/Misawa feud is that someone who has zero knowledge of any of the back ground or even the names involved can easily get the whole story with in one or two matches. All you need is one solo Jumbo/Misawa match and one 6 man to see all the hierarchies on each side and what each guy means to each team and the over all old vs new thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've not watched as many Jumbo matches as I should. Only his matches with Brody. I kind of had a similar problem with Kerry Von Erich. And Hase but with Muta instead of Brody. Kerry Von Erich, Jumbo, and Hiroshi Hase are the guys I'm planning on digging more into their careers later on. I've grown more fond of Kerry the more I've seen some of his stuff recently, and I just never got around to watching as much Jumbo or Hase stuff.

Giant Baba still does nothing for me.

strobogo

Banned
I've not watched as many Jumbo matches as I should. Only his matches with Brody. I kind of had a similar problem with Kerry Von Erich. And Hase but with Muta instead of Brody. Kerry Von Erich, Jumbo, and Hiroshi Hase are the guys I'm planning on digging more into their careers later on. I've grown more fond of Kerry the more I've seen some of his stuff recently, and I just never got around to watching as much Jumbo or Hase stuff.

Giant Baba still does nothing for me.

I feel like if you've only seen Jumbo with Brody, you are missing out on just about everything that makes Jumbo great. Baba was definitely limited at all stages of his career, but I've really enjoyed what I've seen from him in the late 60s/early 70s. By the time the 80s rolled around, he probably should have bowed out the ring completely.

I'm going to update those posts with the video files linked if I can find them online. Most things from Ditch's site gets uploaded to YT or Dailymotion, but sometimes you can't find a match streaming. Like the Misawa/Jumbo match. Every other match from them is on YT, but not that specific one. The only site I found it on was Youku, which Squarespace can not embed videos from. So I'll upload it to mine. Going to Ditch's site and then searching for files to download isn't really the best if I want people to actually watch shit.

BHZ Mayor

Ok, I'm watching Top 10 Fantastic Finishing Moves on the Network, and they get to the Sharpshooter. And they show a clip of Natalya putting on her opponent (don't know who she is, she has black hair and she's wearing light purple attire) and Natalya bends all the way back. Like, this chick taking it is bent into a literal square shape. Was she okay after that? Can she still walk?

Edit: Screenshot
Afz37Nj.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ok, I'm watching Top 10 Fantastic Finishing Moves on the Network, and they get to the Sharpshooter. And they show a clip of Natalya putting on her opponent (don't know who she is, she has black hair and she's wearing light purple attire) and Natalya bends all the way back. Like, this chick taking it is bent into a literal square shape. Was she okay after that? Can she still walk?

Edit: Screenshot
Afz37Nj.png

Melina does that all the time.

Insert Batista/Mike Knox joke here

Jumbo's stuff is real easy to get into, because he had great matches with just about every major star to come to Japan during the 70's & 80's. Bock, Harley, the Funks, Robinson, Flair, Brody, Hansen, etc. Baba I don't enjoy watching as much, but I can appreciate him - his best matches were with guys like Hansen who weren't afraid to really lay it in and didn't comically over-sell for Baba like some guys did.

Thanks

Right who is the go to guy for knowing which PWG shows are worth a watch from the last year or two?

Their yearly singles tournament (Battle of Los Angeles) and tag tournament (DDT4) are always well worth a watch. As for single shows, here's a few I really enjoyed;

2014 - Sold Our Soul for Rock & Roll
2013 - All Star Weekend 9, TEN, All Star Weekend 10
2012 - World's Finest, Threemendous III, Mystery Vortex

PWG's a very fun promotion, it's hard to go wrong with them and they rarely have a 'bad' show.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Melina just ripped off Shimmer constantly. The kicking the back of the head spot was a MsChif/Kong thing, and Melina always changed her finisher to whoever was currently popular in Shimmer.

Top Bottom