• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Melina just ripped off Shimmer constantly. The kicking the back of the head spot was a MsChif/Kong thing, and Melina always changed her finisher to whoever was currently popular in Shimmer.

I guess she stole that splits/DDT finisher as well then? I always dug the novelty factor of that finisher.

strobogo

Banned
Jumbo's stuff is real easy to get into, because he had great matches with just about every major star to come to Japan during the 70's & 80's. Bock, Harley, the Funks, Robinson, Flair, Brody, Hansen, etc. Baba I don't enjoy watching as much, but I can appreciate him - his best matches were with guys like Hansen who weren't afraid to really lay it in and didn't comically over-sell for Baba like some guys did.

I think he's really easy for people unfamiliar to puro to get into as he was trained by Dory Funk Jr. and Lou Thesz and had more of an American style than most of his peers. He was very much the classic big NWA match wrestler and was able to work very well as a hybrid with Japanese guys and foreigners in a way that most guys weren't.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
miketenaybetadjwsj3.gif

I used to do recaps a few years ago and felt like doing one again today. Inspired by strobogo's great WCW 2000 reviews, below is a recap of WWF Backlash 2001.

NOTE: As suggested by Aiii, I quoted the pics to cut down on scrolling. Sorry, I'd make gifs, but I don't know how to do that on a Mac.

Click here for the WWF WrestleMania 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF Backlash 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF King Of The Ring 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF Fully Loaded 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF SummerSlam 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF Survivor Series 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF Armageddon 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF Judgment Day 2000 recap.

WWF Backlash 2001
- April 29, 2001. 15,592 in attendance. Chicago (technically Rosemont), Illinois. Allstate Arena. Sponsored by Castrol. JR and Paul Heyman announcing

Six-Man Tag Team Match: Bubba Ray, D-Von and Spike vs X-Pac, Justin Credible and Albert

- Started off hot with Spike jumping off the top rope and stomping on a laid out Albert.
- “We Want Tables” chant starts immediately. Followed by an “X-Pac Sucks” chant, naturally.
- Genuinely like when JR tries to put over talent (in this case Albert) by talking about how Albert played football in college.
- FINISH: Double superkicks by Justin Credible and X-Pac on Buh Buh to pick up the victory.
- Poor Buh Buh - the biggest 1 year fall in the history of pro wrestling. Jobbing to X-Factor. One year ago at Backlash, he was kissin Trish Stratus…

- Post match, Dudleys fight back and 3D X-Pac through a table.

BACKSTAGE: Regal greets the Duchess of Queensbury.

BACKSTAGE: Lilian interviews Kurt Angle, who says he’s gonna defeat Chris Benoit. “Now excuse me, I have to shine my medals,” Kurt quips as he kicks Lilian out of his dressing room. Angle was so funny back then.

RECAP ON HEAT EARLIER TONIGHT: Jerry Lynn defeated Crash Holly by grabbing the tights.

Hardcore match for the WWF Hardcore Championship: Rhyno (c) vs Raven
- Rhyno climbs the ring steps and tries to jump on a seated Raven, who moves out of the way at the last second.
- ECW characters are all over this PPV so far.
- Drop toe hold onto a shopping cart from Raven onto Rhyno in the middle of the middle. Ha, silly hardcore wrestling.
- FINISH: Rhyno misses a gore and ends up in a shopping cart. Even sillier hardcore wrestling. Seconds later, Rhyno actually lands a gore out of nowhere for the win.

- Lots of plugging this album, which features a special “The Rock Web Browser”…

REPLAY OF A SMACKDOWN SEGMENT: Shane reads a story “Shane and the Beanstalk”, making fun of Big Show in the process.

BACKSTAGE: Steph tells Shane to apologize to Vince so that Vince calls off the Big Show. Shane does not.

BACKSTAGE: Kevin Kelly tries to interview Stone Cold, who heels it up and pulls Debra along.

BACKSTAGE: Coach asks the Duchess of Queensbury what the rules are for the upcoming match. Commissioner Regal breaks it up. Mystery!

- I don’t get why Regal is considered such a legend in wrestling? Sure, he’s a good actor, but has anyone paid just to see a Regal match?

Duchess of Queensbury Rules Match: William Regal vs Chris Jericho
- Before the match, Jericho shows a photoshopped photo of Regal dressed up as a queen.
- Duchess of Queensbury sits ringside for the match. Commissioner Regal knows the rules of this match, but won’t tell Jericho. Ha, pretty clever.
- Jericho hits the lionsault. The bell rings. The Duchess of Queensbury tells Finkel that “round 1 ended” before Jericho could get the pin.
- Regal hits the Regal Stretch - which is an awkward looking submission. Y2J reaches the ropes.
- Y2J makes Regal tap out to the Walls of Jericho. The Duchess of Queensbury tells Finkel that you can’t win by tap out.
- Regal hits Jericho with the Duchess of Queensbury’s scepter. The Duchess of Queensbury tells Finkel that this match is No DQ.
- Really good storytelling in this match - crowd isn’t too into it, though.
- Regal lands in the Duchess of Queensbury’s crotch. He hilariously flips out.

- Jericho puts the Duchess of Queensbury in the Walls of Jericho.
- FINISH: Regal hits Jericho with 3 chairshots for the win.

BACKSTAGE: Big Show tells Vince that he’s gonna destroy Shane. They both comically and maniacally laugh.

30 Minute Submission Match: Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit
- Admittedly I skipped to 2 minutes left. Angle and Benoit are tied at 3 submissions each.
- FINISH: Low blow by Angle leads to the Ankle Lock, but Benoit doesn’t tap. Bell rings. Match heads into overtime. Angle taps to the Crossface.

BACKSTAGE: Taker chats with Kane. Steph and Triple H watch them chat on a TV screen. Triple H is the Intercontinental Champion.

Last Man Standing Match: Shane McMahon vs Big Show
- Video recap of what led to this match. Shane bought WCW, Vince got mad, Big Show decided to side with Vince over Shane.
- Shane nails Big Show with a steel chair. As a know-nothing kid, I hated how Big Show used to put his arm up to block chairshots to the head. JR covered by saying, “Show trying to block.” Knowing what we know now, nicely done, Show, putting your arm up.

- Shane chloroforms Big Show, haha.
- “Shane-O-Mac” chant breaks out.
- Vince comes out and nails Shane with a chair - unprotected head shot.
- Big Show with two massive chokeslams.
- Test comes out and beats up Big Show. The three fight to the entrance area.
- FINISH: Classic Shane-O-Mac jumps from the top of the entrance staging with an elbow onto Big Show. Test helps Shane stand up. Cool, but insane bump, as usual from Shane.

BACKSTAGE: Vince is furious and yells at Steph and HHH. Vince says, “From this day on, I only have one son. And his name is Triple H.” HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

AT WWF NEW YORK: Steve Blackman says he’s impressed as hell with Shane. Grandmaster Sexay interrupts and talks but doesn’t say anything.

Triple threat match for the WWF European Championship: Matt Hardy (c) vs Christian vs Eddie Guerrero
- Some nice acrobatic moves between these three guys. They work smoothly together.
- FINISH: Edge, in a weird see through shirt, attacks Matt. Jeff comes out and attacks Christian. Matt Hardy with the Twist Of Fate on Christian for the pin.

Winner Take All tag team match for the WWF World Tag Team Championship, WWF Championship and the WWF Intercontinental Championship: WWF World Tag Team Champions The Brothers of Destruction Kane and The Undertaker vs WWF Champion Steve Austin and Intercontinental Champion Triple H (with Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley)
- Pre-match promo package shows Austin turning heel at WrestleMania 17. Then Triple H teaming up with Vince and Austin on Raw.
- HHH out first, followed by Austin with his Disturbed-sung glass breaking entrance music, followed by Kane, followed by Limp Bizkit-sung American Badass Taker entrance music.
- Haha, heel cowardly Austin is funny in this match. At times, Stone Cold begs Taker not to hit him. At one point, Austin wants to shake hands.

- Taker hits Old School on HHH. Then Old School on Austin. A beautiful looking move, especially from a big man.
- Solid match, but pretty slow. Taker is concerned for Kane’s elbow, so Taker doesn’t make the tag. Kane ultimately tags himself in.
- Austin and HHH work Kane’s elbow. Lots of heel double-team work from the two. Austin nails Kane’s elbow with a steel chair, then runs away from Taker.
- Weird spot where HHH hits the Pedigree on Kane, but doesn’t go for the pin. HHH tags in Austin. Ref gets distracted by Stephanie. Taker chokeslams Austin.
- Steph grabs Ref Hebner, who then pushes Steph off the ring apron. Also weird.

- Kane hits an enziguri on HHH, who lands on the ref.
- Kane makes the hot tag to Taker, but the ref didn’t see it.
- Taker with a giant Last Ride on HHH, but Hebner instructs Taker to leave the ring.

- Ref is bumped out of ring by accident. Austin stuns Kane. Taker and Austin fight into the crowd.
- FINISH: Steph attacks Kane, but Kane boots her to the face. Vince comes out with a sledgehammer. HHH nails Kane with it for the 1, 2, 3. Sweet Jesus, a convoluted finish.

Thanks for reading!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ernie Ladd promos are so great. I wish there were more on the internet, Andre the Dummy. Him, Buddy Rose, Dick Murdoch, and Adrian Adonis are real underrated on their mic work.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Twelve years in six months. I think a week off will do me good, especially considering how bad this crap is right now.

Watchdoges 2 in progress the two hackers that apparently hacking PSN are FamedGod and Lizardsquad but now they are having some kind of hacker war. Both are posting personal information and releasing passwords, the address to each others home, etc. Ubisoft better be taking notes

strobogo

Banned
The Network should be making some big updates in the next few days, right? The first 6 months run out for most people in the next few days, so I'd expect that a lot of stuff would be put up soon. Like Nitros, updates to Raws/ECW/WCCW, maybe other territories being put up.

The website says still to come in 2014 is Nitro, Saturday Morning Slam, the Monday Night Wars (which started), a Rivalries series, SNME (already uploaded), and Rock N' Wrestling. I find it hard to believe that is the ONLY new stuff they'll be putting up for the rest of the year.

The Network should be making some big updates in the next few days, right? The first 6 months run out for most people in the next few days, so I'd expect that a lot of stuff would be put up soon. Like Nitros, updates to Raws/ECW/WCCW, maybe other territories being put up.

The website says still to come in 2014 is Nitro, Saturday Morning Slam, the Monday Night Wars (which started), a Rivalries series, SNME (already uploaded), and Rock N' Wrestling. I find it hard to believe that is the ONLY new stuff they'll be putting up for the rest of the year.

They're skimping on WCW Thunder!

Bronson's a swell guy, always standing up for the integrity of IWA-MS.

Incidentally, I bet you're bummed out about TPI being cancelled? For those not in the know like me and 'IWA-MS superfan BronsonLee™', Ian Rotten lost one of his big toes to diabeetus and had to postpone the events until he's up on his feet again. Get well soon, Ian!!

Daniels definitely added some much-needed experience and legitimacy to the roster at the time. I also think Doug Williams deserves a lot of credit for his stuff in early ROH - the storyline with Daniels & Williams was a bit shit (Williams lost the right to obey the code of honour, iirc), but he put on some amazing matches with Daniels & Bryan. Also, the 4-way Iron Man match to crown the first champion was real good.

Like, shoot lost his toe? He's not just claiming it so he can cancel TPI gracefully because he can't pay them?

Daniels was early ROH's secret weapon, and it's the Prophecy/Second City Saints feud that provides the link between early ROH and Reborn-era ROH. The Prophecy was also used to introduce Joe to ROH, so it really was the center of everything then.

Heel

BACKSTAGE: Coach asks the Duchess of Queensbury what the rules are for the upcoming match. Commissioner Regal breaks it up. Mystery!

- I don’t get why Regal is considered such a legend in wrestling? Sure, he’s a good actor, but has anyone paid just to see a Regal match?

Duchess of Queensbury Rules Match: William Regal vs Chris Jericho
- Before the match, Jericho shows a photoshopped photo of Regal dressed up as a queen.
- Duchess of Queensbury sits ringside for the match. Commissioner Regal knows the rules of this match, but won’t tell Jericho. Ha, pretty clever.
- Jericho hits the lionsault. The bell rings. The Duchess of Queensbury tells Finkel that “round 1 ended” before Jericho could get the pin.
- Regal hits the Regal Stretch - which is an awkward looking submission. Y2J reaches the ropes.
- Y2J makes Regal tap out to the Walls of Jericho. The Duchess of Queensbury tells Finkel that you can’t win by tap out.
- Regal hits Jericho with the Duchess of Queensbury’s scepter. The Duchess of Queensbury tells Finkel that this match is No DQ.
- Really good storytelling in this match - crowd isn’t too into it, though.
- Regal lands in the Duchess of Queensbury’s crotch. He hilariously flips out.

- Jericho puts the Duchess of Queensbury in the Walls of Jericho.
- FINISH: Regal hits Jericho with 3 chairshots for the win.

The power of FnP. Regal is a master of carny psychology.

Carnby

The WWE2K14 entrances look alright (I guess), but the audio is rediculous. Why does the crowd sound like Daniel Bryan won his first world title during Goldust's and Randy Orton's entrance?

Ric Flair

Banned
I'm trying to get through Fall Brawl 99, this Goldberg v DDP match is making it very difficult to do so, however. Headlock ropes Headlock ropes w/ ddp falling out of the ring headlock ropes headlock ropes w/ddp falling out of the ring again.

Top Bottom