• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Carnby

That's a total lie by the way. They like guys they like. The ones they do tend to be great workers. They always loved guys like AJ, Steen, etc. It's not about "getting to the top." It never is in wrestling, no matter the crowd. It's about them finding something to like about you and liking it.

But dude... Monday Night Wars.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't use the Network as much as I used to but for the price I really will stick around. Monday Night War's first ep makes me need to see the rest as they come out, so I'm in no danger of canceling.

My subscription expired yesterday. I'm going to try to wait it out for a gift card offer or until they start uploading Raw and Nitro. I got well over 60 dollars worth out of it but I'm just not all that interested in watching a PPV without the build or random episodes of Raw and Smackdown. It doesn't help that the next PPV is Lesnar V Cena and I think they're going to blow the angle and have a competitive match.

To be fair, ROH shoulder a good portion of the blame for the fans turning on the promotion's various face champions over the years - the fans turned on Tyler Black, Davey Richards & Michael Elgin because ROH waited too long to put the belt on them, they turned on Aries (2nd reign) & Jerry Lynn because they weren't the champions the fans wanted and only delayed Black's eventual title run and they turned on Nigel because he kept getting injured, wouldn't drop the belt and came across as whiny in his promos. It wasn't just because those guys weren't the hot thing any longer, it was entirely because they were mismanaged.

*edit, have an episode of Mid-South;

Mid-South Wrestling, January 19th 1984
Shreveport, Louisiana, USA

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24jg98

1. Terry Taylor vs Crusher Darsow
2. The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Dennis Condrey) vs Mike Jackson & Roger Bond
3. Buddy Landel vs Mike Starbuck
4. Brian Adidas vs Mike Henry
5. Rick Rude vs Masao Ito

Cagey

Banned
That's a total lie by the way. They like guys they like. The ones they do tend to be great workers. They always loved guys like AJ, Steen, etc. It's not about "getting to the top." It never is in wrestling, no matter the crowd. It's about them finding something to like about you and liking it.

See: Richards, Davey.

strobogo

Banned
Wrestle Kingdom 2 is so weird. It's what is essentially the Day of Reckoning engine, which itself was an updated AKI engine, but stripped it of a lot of things for no reason and made a ridiculous reversal system where you HAVE to build up energy balls to reverse stuff, there are no just regular reversals. Then made it much clunkier than the DoR games and made a bizarre campaign mode that is made up of card games and weird shit.

Network sub renews on Sep. 3, and I just checked to make sure it'll auto-renew, if only for the PPVs.

Throw in NXT and the original stuff like The Shield one from last week, and it's the easiest $9.99 I'm happy to spend each month.

Red Dwarf & Blackadder > everything else.

See: Richards, Davey.

They took too long with it. Fans wanted him to be the one to defeat Tyler, not Roddy, then when Strong was finally defeated it was Edwards who managed it - now that was a cool moment, but when they finally got around to doing Eddie vs Davey people didn't want to see Eddie lose because he was the underdog. That storyline effectively made Davey a heel, even though that was never their intention.

I just woke up to say British Humor is shitty and overrated.

That's not how you spell humour.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A lot of it is. Spaced and IT Crowd are awesome. Black Books is mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Richard Ayoade and Matthew Holness are like the only two funny 'comedians' on the entire island. Must suck for Bootaaaay that Canadians like Kids In The Hall took your humor and actually made it work.
That's not how you spell humour.
We on neogaf.co.uk, friend?
miketenaybetadf0s8q.gif

BHZ Mayor

I don't use the Network as much as I used to but for the price I really will stick around. Monday Night War's first ep makes me need to see the rest as they come out, so I'm in no danger of canceling.

It really is a good deal for generally following old storylines and watching career progressions. Just yesterday I spent a good amount of time watching old PPVs to follow when certain wrestlers changed themes and gimmicks. It would be nice to have old Raws and Smackdowns on there though so I could see the transitions in full.

Richard Ayoade and Matthew Holness are like the only two funny 'comedians' on the entire island. Must suck for Bootaaaay that Canadians like Kids In The Hall took your humor and actually made it work.

I actually think British humour is kind of in the shitter at the moment, there's a real dearth of quality talent and shows. Other than Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle of course, which I would recommend, but fear it may be too highbrow for friends across the pond ;)

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Ditch Decades 3

Matches included in this set:

• Bob Backlund vs Antonio Inoki 7/27/78 WWF Championship
  • Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Super Tiger UWF 9/11/85
  • Masahiro Chono vs Keiji Mutoh 8/11/91
  • Yuji Nagata/Takashi Iizuka vs Toshiaki Kawada/Masanobu Fuchi 12/14/00

ioH2pHLSJQcRb.gif

i1t81MnbAjgrS.gif

ibeTEHFpOch2iU.gif

iiTqLxUrg4CaC.gif

ibhKy9cvoyxYXK.gif

Chono/Muta is great. Best match of Chono's life. Probably in the top 15 for Muta. The NJ vs AJ tag match was super fun, mostly because Fuchi is a MOTHER FUCKING CUNT. Holy shit is he an asshole and it is wonderful. Defintely watch those two. Inoki/Backlund was very 70s, which means very slow with not a lot of action, but a lot of really good mat work and working holds for long stretches of time. Fujiwara/Tiger Mask was fun, but I'm really fascinated at how important UWF was on both sides of the world and for both worked and shoot promotions.

The UWF invasion in the 80s, which was revisited in the 90s, was the direct inspiration for Bischoff to come up with the nWo. Which made WWE change directions and go into the Attitude Era. At the same time, they trained a whole generation on shoot style, which eventually brought up actual shoot promotions, which would end up with UFC and PRIDE and modern MMA blowing up. For such a niche promotion that only lasted a few years in the 80s, it's really amazing how much impact it had on both pro wrestling and MMA in both the US and Japan.

Carnby

My subscription expired yesterday. I'm going to try to wait it out for a gift card offer or until they start uploading Raw and Nitro. I got well over 60 dollars worth out of it but I'm just not all that interested in watching a PPV without the build or random episodes of Raw and Smackdown. It doesn't help that the next PPV is Lesnar V Cena and I think they're going to blow the angle and have a competitive match.

My worst fear.

When ever WWE is awesome for a brief moment, they always figure out a way to completely blow it. They did it with Summer of Punk 2, Cena's one night heel turn, Summer Slam 2013, WrestleMania 30, and possibly the current story.

Stro, you need to see some Osamu Nishimura matches from the late 90's/2002's - Nishimura vs Takayama is one of the best big vs little matches I've ever seen.

The fans at the end of Chono vs Muta were indeed throwing their seat cushions in the ring, which was apparently a tradition from sumo when a wrestler attain Yokozuna status. It had been done a couple of days previously when Mutoh beat Vader to get to the finals and was entirely spontaneous, whereas at the G1 finals the fans seemed to be waiting for the finish so they could throw their seat cushions. Amazing match and that shot of all the cushions flying into the ring is still on New Japan's promo reels today.

strobogo

Banned
Stro, you need to see some Osamu Nishimura matches from the late 90's/2002's - Nishimura vs Takayama is one of the best big vs little matches I've ever seen.

The fans at the end of Chono vs Muta were indeed throwing their seat cushions in the ring, which was apparently a tradition from sumo when a wrestler attain Yokozuna status. It had been done a couple of days previously when Mutoh beat Vader to get to the finals and was entirely spontaneous, whereas at the G1 finals the fans seemed to be waiting for the finish so they could throw their seat cushions. Amazing match and that shot of all the cushions flying into the ring is still on New Japan's promo reels today.

I saw a good amount of Nishimura matches in the early 2000s. Doing all his wacky mat work. The MUGA stuff. I'm heading back to AJ with Jumbo from the 70s/80s/90s and Tenryu/Mutoh from 2001.

Cena vs. Bray could be interesting tonight if they actually want to establish a Cena who is willing to play it a little heelish to get the win. Oddly, that would achieve what Bray wanted at Wrestlemania.

Who the fuck am I kidding!

Cena is going to squash Bray with five moves.

Cena vs. Bray could be interesting tonight if they actually want to establish a Cena who is willing to play it a little heelish to get the win. Oddly, that would achieve what Bray wanted at Wrestlemania.

No way that's going to happen. He's going to at least squash Harper and Rowan along with Bray.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The worst thing about Cena feuds is he drags them out until he's mooched every last bit of heat off you that he can.

And then he never sells the long-term effects of your 'mind games.' It's like everything Bray or Kane said didn't mean shit as soon as he gets that 1-2-3.

I saw a good amount of Nishimura matches in the early 2000s. Doing all his wacky mat work. The MUGA stuff. I'm heading back to AJ with Jumbo from the 70s/80s/90s and Tenryu/Mutoh from 2001.

Nice, any match with Tenryu vs Mutoh is worth a watch - I loved that Fujinami vs Nish match in MUGA, great stuff. Nishimura's such a unique worker, there's very few quite like him in Japanese wrestling - for that reason I was always disappointed Ryusuke Taguchi turned out the way he did, as you watch his young lion stuff and it's clear Nishmura had a big influence on him.

So I'm going to miss RAW tonight since I'll be on my plane back.

Now the voice inside my head can't force me to watch that shit with you, friends. Ha, suckers.

I'll be back in nerd chat next week. Sination promise.

I'm not sure what those two could talk about that I haven't already heard. Pretty sure they've already been on podcasts together.

Here, I'll save you a listen. Here's what JR will talk about:

• Heels don't cheat anymore and they're ruining the business
  • Internet "fans" don't understand the business and they're ruining the business
  • Commentary on Raw doesn't talk about the matches so they're ruining the business
  • If Bill Watts was around, the business would be saved
  • ROH's production values suck and are ruining the business
  • Lemme sip on my Sonic beverage. I wish they'd sponsor my show.
  • Please listen to the Ross Report because you need to hear all of this shit every show.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if they added anything neat in the new Sims. I can't ask Gaming side because it's an EA game. I remember trying 3 for the first time since I got it and then it was 8 hours later.

Alucard

Banned
Ring of Honor with DAT KAYFABE.
http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/tommaso-ciampa-suspended

img5855.jpg

"After his reprehensible actions at DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR in Chicago Ridge, Tommaso Ciampa has been suspended indefinitely. As an update for fans who were not in attendance in Chicago, Ciampa went to war for the ROH World Title against Michael Elgin in an absolutely brutal match. Ciampa was unsuccessful in his quest to capture the title, and after months of increasingly erratic behavior and ranting about being "overlooked," Ciampa finally went on a rampage.

He refused the post-match Code of Honor, instead turning his frustrations on some of the hardworking members of our ring crew. But even more disgustingly, Tommaso Ciampa attacked Ring Announcer and beloved member of our family, Bobby Cruise. Cruise sustained a severe concussion after repeated knees to the head. Bobby Cruise is not a trained professional wrestler and not a physical participant in Ring of Honor. There is absolutely no excuse for targeting him. We will have further updates on Bobby as we get them.

Due to the degree of unprovoked violence and given Tommaso Ciampa's history of instability, ROH Officials has suspended him indefinitely. There is no timetable for his return Ring of Honor is evaluating his actions with the highest severity."

Mengetsu

I'm not sure what those two could talk about that I haven't already heard. Pretty sure they've already been on podcasts together.

• Internet "fans" don't understand the business and they're ruining the business
  • Commentary on Raw doesn't talk about the matches so they're ruining the business
  • Please listen to the Ross Report because you need to hear all of this shit every show.
Very true :lol

jred2k

I can't believe JR wouldn't be more positive about the IWC. Look at all of the support.

JR and Stone Cold have enough history with each other I'll be happy just listening to them tell stories for two hours. The Heyman and Foley podcasts have been great, and that's due in large part to them having history.

Hasney

I wonder if they added anything neat in the new Sims. I can't ask Gaming side because it's an EA game. I remember trying 3 for the first time since I got it and then it was 8 hours later.

You can make a plant with gardening that's like a cow with udders and a cake for a tongue that eats people. You can also beg death to keep someone that's died alive.

No pools though, so you have to get more creative with killing people off.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You can make a plant with gardening that's like a cow with udders and a cake for a tongue that eats people. You can also beg death to keep someone that's died alive.

No pools though, so you have to get more creative with killing people off.

In Sims 2 I set up a diving board with a glass table underneath it in my front lawn, and it totally worked.

lol

Cena wins after Rowan, Harper, Heyman, Kamala, Waylon Mercy, Bastion Booger, and Robocop beat him down for 15 minutes, only to pin Wyatt after one AA.

BRRRRRAPPLEDOUGH!

jmdajr

Coworker of mine. His brother has 4 or 5 blocked arteries and needs open heart surgery. Scary thing is this guy can't be older than 45 I'm guessing. I have yet to ask how old he is but has to be around there.

Top Bottom