• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Aren't you the OP of the Sonic the Hedgehog community thread?

KATtqPK.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Stephanie just outright refuses to compliment Paul Heyman during this entire doc.

The best she could manage is "I won't call him a genius, but there is genius in his thinking." Hehe

Stephanie just outright refuses to compliment Paul Heyman during this entire doc.

The best she could manage is "I won't call him a genius, but there is genius in his thinking." Hehe

Do they talk about his exit from WWECW during that thing? Also any mentions of Punk?

strobogo

Banned
Aside from Ric Flair acting like a goof, the NWA is so god damn boring. I can watch WCCW, I can watch WWWF, I can watch AWA.

But not this shit.

The fuck, you can what boring as fuck AWA, but NWA with the Horsemen, Dusty, Sting, Midnights, Rock N Rolls, Nikita, Steamboat, Funk is too boring for you?

I don't think anyone here outside of Aiii knows these ladies well enough to judge their character.

ibhVKdUaEmWX5U.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Paul Heyman isn't a genius. As much as I hate to admit it, 90% of ECW was crap.

Xater

Heyman mentioned during the interview yesterday that there is a Blu-ray extra that is quite flattering. It apparently made him tear up. Maybe they just didn't get that much good footage from her.

I honestly find it more mortifying to say "I'm a fan of Konnan in 2014" than it is to say "Sonic the Hedgehog has had some enjoyable games over the years."

But that's just me.
I honestly find it more mortifying to say "I'm a fan of Sonic in 2014" than it is to say "Konnan has had some enjoyable matches over the years."

But that's just me.

I honestly find it more mortifying to say "I'm a fan of Sonic in 2014" than it is to say "Konnan has had some enjoyable matches over the years."

But that's just me.

I just find this funny because this entire thread is scared of being associated with wrestling by their IRL peers. Just look at Sandman, who didn't want his hat being associated with TNA.

I just find this funny because this entire thread is scared of being associated with wrestling by their IRL peers. Just look at Sandman, who didn't want his hat being associated with TNA.
Are you implying that your IRL peers associate you with Sonic?

Being associated with TNA is arguably worse than being associated with wrestling in general.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I wonder how much money he owes people...
Like everyone in his life. Probably was ripping kids off in Kindergarten.
Yeah, this nonsense about Paul being his booking genius is nonsense. ECW never had any good storylines. Just a bunch of idiots willing to put their bodies through hell for the sake of a paycheck that had a good chance of never coming through.

jmdajr

You mean folks here don't send out office wide emails inviting people to WWE PPV..I mean.. WWE Network Special parties??????

They know that I know a lot about Sonic's history, which is true thanks to the community thread. I don't know anything about weird fanart or that other gross shit because I'm not someone who actually sits by a rule 34 website just to see how long it takes for a character to show up there (yes, someone admitted to doing that in a recent GAF thread).
Bravo man. Life's too short to care what people think about your hobbies. I promote my wrestling vids and my buddy's promotion on my Facebook all the time. Believe me when I tell you it goes over a lot better than when I promote my atheism!

jmdajr

Bravo man. Life's too short to care what people think about your hobbies. I promote my wrestling vids and my buddy's promotion on my Facebook all the time. Believe me when I tell you it goes over a lot better than when I promote my atheism!

What you hate Jesus????

strobogo

Banned
Paul Heyman isn't a genius. As much as I hate to admit it, 90% of ECW was crap.

His best booking period was the first year or so of the brand split. There were a lot of interesting ideas in ECW, certainly an interesting editing style, but he was so hampered by the talent he had to work with. I bet ECW wouldn't have been anything like it was if Paul was working with a roster as good as Smackdown 2002 and not guys like Sandman/Dreamer/Gangstas/Axel Rotten and so on.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
His best booking period was the first year or so of the brand split. There were a lot of interesting ideas in ECW, certainly an interesting editing style, but he was so hampered by the talent he had to work with. I bet ECW wouldn't have been anything like it was if Paul was working with a roster as good as Smackdown 2002 and not guys like Sandman/Dreamer/Gangstas/Axel Rotten and so on.
He had a tremendous roster for a good deal of time in ECW, and they produced great matches, but that didn't require Heyyman. You don't need Heyman to get Benoit and Eddie to have a great match.

He is a good writer, sure, but genius? No.

Yeah, this nonsense about Paul being his booking genius is nonsense. ECW never had any good storylines. Just a bunch of idiots willing to put their bodies through hell for the sake of a paycheck that had a good chance of never coming through.

SoulPlaya pls. Wrestling has had like 2 "good storylines" in history. Like ever. All that matters is that the vibe of the show is exciting, and that the characters are engaging. ECW had both in spades. It's easy to look back now and nitpick everything as if we've come out of the 90s wormhole looking back on the other side with disgust, but at the time it was fresh, and grungy, and felt spontaneous. Not just because they were killing each other, but because of the vibe of the product, the music, and the "MTV generation" feel to the whole thing. And that was with a roster full of mediocre or flat out bad wrestlers at the top.

So please, fall back with the Heyman hating. He was terrible with money, but he's always had a good mind for structuring compelling shows.

Aiii

So not worth it
Do they talk about his exit from WWECW during that thing? Also any mentions of Punk?

Everything is discussed, good and bad. Punk is on there and even mentions at one point the entire reason he was still in WWE at that moment (messy hair, baggy eyes, crappy beard, so at the end of his run) is because he was working with Heyman and that is what kept him going. I was amazed that soundbyte made it in there tbh.

Anth0ny

SoulPlaya pls. Wrestling has had like 2 "good storylines" in history. Like ever. All that matters is that the vibe of the show is exciting, and that the characters are engaging. ECW had both in spades. It's easy to look back now and nitpick everything as if we've come out of the 90s wormhole looking back on the other side with disgust, but at the time it was fresh, and grungy, and felt spontaneous. Not just because they were killing each other, but because of the vibe of the product, the music, and the "MTV generation" feel to the whole thing. And that was with a roster full of mediocre or flat out bad wrestlers at the top.

So please, fall back with the Heyman hating. He was terrible with money, but he's always had a good mind for structuring compelling shows.

wzLV8.gif

Good post. It's true. Same reason why Attitude Era was so much more enjoyable than the shit they put out today, even if we get 4 star matches more often on Raws and PPVs these days. Everything now is so sterile, boring and predictable.

90s were the fucking shit, man.

strobogo

Banned
He had a tremendous roster for a good deal of time in ECW, and they produced great matches, but that didn't require Heyyman. You don't need Heyman to get Benoit and Eddie to have a great match.

He is a good writer, sure, but genius? No.

Tremendous roster over all, sure. At any given time, ECW had 4-5 really good guys and the rest were garbage. In 1994, they had Dean, Scorpio, Benoit, Shane Douglas, and Cactus Jack. Maybe Sabu, but his good-greatness is based entirely around how often he crashed and burned. The rest of the show was guys like Dreamer/Sandman/JASON/Mikey when he could do nothing but bump/Tommy Cairo/JT Smith/Chad Austin and whoever was on their way between companies for a weekend. The great guys never stayed for long.

But if you look at an over the years point of view for ECW's roster, it was great. No doubt. Year to year definitely not.

VoxPop

Heyman introduced Brock and made Punk bearable. Good enough for me.

Hell he even made 5 ft tall Taz seem like he was some kinda monster which they still can't replicate today with guys like Rusev and Big E.

Just not a fan of them sticking random lame wrasslers with him and hoping they'd break out (Cesaro, Hennig, Big Show, etc)

ECW was pretty shitty in hindsight but staying up till 3AM so I could catch a glimpse of Kimona Wanalaya on top of the ECW set was awesome at the time.

found a copy of the getaway and decided to load a last save. that was one of the most painful experiences of my life. i have to answer this phone MILES AWAY with both cops and gangsters on my ass. WITH 2002 NON-GTA CAR PHYSICS. i feel sick now.

BITCHIN SOUNDTRACK THOUGH

That game had some of the fucking hardest missions I've ever played in a game. Absolutely ridiculous.

I really enjoyed it though in a sadistic way.

Top Bottom