• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

Vylash

Good post. It's true. Same reason why Attitude Era was so much more enjoyable than the shit they put out today, even if we get 4 star matches more often on Raws and PPVs these days. Everything now is so sterile, boring and predictable.

90s were the fucking shit, man.

CM-Punk-laughing-at-Stephanie.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
SoulPlaya pls. Wrestling has had like 2 "good storylines" in history. Like ever. All that matters is that the vibe of the show is exciting, and that the characters are engaging. ECW had both in spades. It's easy to look back now and nitpick everything as if we've come out of the 90s wormhole looking back on the other side with disgust, but at the time it was fresh, and grungy, and felt spontaneous. Not just because they were killing each other, but because of the vibe of the product, the music, and the "MTV generation" feel to the whole thing. And that was with a roster full of mediocre or flat out bad wrestlers at the top.

So please, fall back with the Heyman hating. He was terrible with money, but he's always had a good mind for structuring compelling shows.
What? Have you seen ECW shows? The last few years had what you were talking about. Before that, half the show was ads about live events, and nonsensical promos that had no structure.

jmdajr

Friend of mine just told me this is the first thing he thinks of when it comes to WWE fans.

We are fucking lepers. Oh well.

At least I still like mainstream things like comics and videogames.

What? Have you seen ECW shows? The last few years had what you were talking about. Before that, half the show was ads about live events, and nonsensical promos that had no structure.

I've been meaning to ask you... Do you actually like Kane or is it some kind of elaborate troll?

Exis

I am watching the Paul-E documentary yet. ECW will have a soft spot in my heart because it was what got me into this and were the first couple of shows I went to. By and large it does not hold up, but part of that for me is the low quality of the tapes.

VoxPop

Friend of mine just told me this is the first thing he thinks of when it comes to WWE fans.

We are fucking lepers. Oh well.

At least I still like mainstream things like comics and videogames.

I thought they were advertising the WWE Network on top for a second

dream

Really, I don't think anything in pro wrestling has worked as well as the Raven raping Sandman's son angle.

I'd like to see the Kane character make it to 20 years in WWE. I believe Glen Jacobs as a performer is pretty close to celebrating his 20th anniversary with WWE.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Hopefully retired Kane.

I like Kane, but he's reaching Big Show-tier of sticking around the main event picture and bringing everything down
What? What main event? The guy has done nothing over the past few months but be in multi man matches and he didn't bring them down. Matches were garbage with or without him. Since then, he's just jobbed to Reigns. Before that, he was in a feud with Bryan that produced one fun gimmick match. If anything brought that down, it was Bryan's own neck.

I'm hoping for Cantankerous Kane.

Raven is also heavily featured in the Heyman doc interviews.

I'm so unsure on Raven. He's clearly a talented guy, and whenever there are documentaries people within wrestling seem to rave(n) about him as a brilliant mind. I feel like I've seen that maybe in his matches now and again, but all I can remember are those phoned in fatty Raven performances for some reason. However, having said that I enjoyed his time in TNA (somewhat), and his matches with Abyss were pretty fun.

His feud with CM Punk in ROH seems amazing too.

Maybe I just don't get it.

kiguel182

Kane being in the main-event confuses me like hell.

Is he a draw? Is there any reason they can't have a new guy in his position?

somedevil

Raw Viewership for 8/5

8pm: 4.075
9pm: 4.193
10pm: 3.877

Avg: 4.048

Down compared to last week and down 131,000 compared to last year. It looks like the show needed more Brock and Cena plus Brie at the end isn't working as a closing angle.

PInk Tape

Banned
I wear my wrestling shirts out in public and I've never had a negative experience. Unless you count socializing with other wrestling fans outside of the internet negative, then I'd be at three.

iboNlIk9W1ERuv.gif

Raw Viewership for 8/5

Down compared to last week and down 131,000 compared to last year. It looks like the show needed more Brock and Cena plus Brie at the end isn't working as a closing angle.

So everyone tuned out before Brie could be inflicted on them. Good.

I think I watched maybe 25 minutes of RAW. Having to fast forward through 90% of a 3 hour program sucks. I'm losing my will and desire to watch this type of shit week after week.

How the hell do you have guys like Dutch and Heyman as on screen characters yet not have them involved in creative at all. Both men have a ton of years in the business and both have booked or written in multiple promotions. Seems like they are wasting valuable talent when WWE really isn't in a position to do that right now.

Kane being in the main-event confuses me like hell.

Is he a draw? Is there any reason they can't have a new guy in his position?

He's like Jericho, but huge (size-wise). He's an established big man who, despite having more losses than wins recently, can make a match seem more threatening/important.

Raw Viewership for 8/5

The numbers started off well with the anticipation of Daniel Bryan potentially accompanying his wife, Bella, to the contract signing.

The numbers peaked in the second hour when viewers alerted their friends and family about an imminent Daniel Bryan appearance.

Viewership fell in the last hour when it was revealed that Nikki not Daniel, was joining Bella.

I'm not gonna deny that ECW was, at times, a music video X infomercial. But in the best conditions, when they had more fully formed shows and PPVs, it was exciting. Then when Heyman got control of SD, it was the best period in Smackdown's history. And though I realize everything seems better on paper, his thoughts on where he would've taken TNA, and brought in Daniel Bryan to basically recreate the Taz gimmick as well as ejecting all the ancient talent... Would've been a great time. At the very least it would've been wild and fresh faces would've been getting pushed.

Booking's not just about storylines, it's about creating a product that connects with the audience. You can look back at 70s-80s wrestling footage where nothing is happening and storylines were incredibly basic, but the crowd is going ballistic. That's good booking. The fact that ECW chants are only just starting to die out in the last few years should be evidence enough.

I'm so unsure on Raven. He's clearly a talented guy, and whenever there are documentaries people within wrestling seem to rave(n) about him as a brilliant mind. I feel like I've seen that maybe in his matches now and again, but all I can remember are those phoned in fatty Raven performances for some reason. However, having said that I enjoyed his time in TNA (somewhat), and his matches with Abyss were pretty fun.

His feud with CM Punk in ROH seems amazing too.

Maybe I just don't get it.

Raven was an amazing character. Not compelling in the ring, but great in promos

HT UK

I wear my wrestling shirts out in public and I've never had a negative experience. Unless you count socializing with other wrestling fans outside of the internet negative, then I'd be at three.

iboNlIk9W1ERuv.gif

I've had to stop wearing my Yes! t-shirt lately because of the Scottish Independence marketing. It's simply a "Yes." So everyone thinks I'm walking around promoting the independence :/

Sephzilla

Neither does Jericho. But that's because you and me already know this shit. The audience at large doesn't know/care, so when they see someone huge like Kane or a superstar like Jericho, their attention is piqued.

Even if I put my smarkiness aside, I don't know if I'd find him threatening. He doesn't win matches anymore, he seems to kind of rely on sneak attacks, his offense is pretty limited, and I kind of think Korporate Kane murdered his character.

In general most "big guys" in the company don't feel threatening anymore.

The numbers started off well with the anticipation of Daniel Bryan potentially accompanying his wife, Bella, to the contract signing.

The numbers peaked in the second hour when viewers alerted their friends and family about an imminent Daniel Bryan appearance.

Viewership fell in the last hour when it was revealed that Nikki not Daniel, was joining Bella.

isvl71WW7lIsn.gif

Makes perfect sense, friend.

PInk Tape

Banned
I've had to stop wearing my Yes! t-shirt lately because of the Scottish Independence marketing. It's simply a "Yes." So everyone thinks I'm walking around promoting the independence :/

Yeah, I see how that could be a problem; especially if you don't support it.

I have the same shirt ^_^

DMczaf

Raw Viewership for 8/5

Why is Daniel Bryan not by his wife's side during this whole thing?

Is he waiting for the printers to print his paper work? I hear those things can take forever.

Top Bottom