• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

jmdajr

I don't want to inadvertently start a "Cena ruins everything" thread here but I had a question I wanted to ask.

Wrestlers making comebacks after retirement seem to be a fairly common thing (Flair cant stay away, Hogan wants one more match, HHH has had unofficial retirement matches twice, Rock came back, Steamboat came back). One notable big name who has pretty much stuck to retirement has been Steve Austin.

Considering Austin has said in recent years that he's in pretty good shape and could put on one more program, do you think that the reason Austin hasn't done any comeback story-line is because he'd probably ultimately just job to Cena?

According to Austin he doesn't want to put in the work just for one match. But if he came back for more than that, what would he do???

Whatever he does, needs to decide quick.

Gorillaz

I don't want to inadvertently start a "Cena ruins everything" thread here but I had a question I wanted to ask.

Wrestlers making comebacks after retirement seem to be a fairly common thing (Flair cant stay away, Hogan wants one more match, HHH has had unofficial retirement matches twice, Rock came back, Steamboat came back). One notable big name who has pretty much stuck to retirement has been Steve Austin.

Considering Austin has said in recent years that he's in pretty good shape and could put on one more program, do you think that the reason Austin hasn't done any comeback story-line is because he'd probably ultimately just job to Cena?

Or maybe who else would be worth the program for right now? He probably doesn't want to do one with Cena but who else would be a good program to start with?

ROH is doing All Star Extravaganza VI on Sept 6 on iPPV through Ustream...on their own site, www.rohwrestling.com.

So there's the answer. I figured they would do this. Ustream is killing iPPVs on their site, but companies can still do it through them and embed it on their own site. a B2B approach for bigger companies.

tldr NJPW IPPVS LIVE

Shouldn't Dean have asked for a cage match? Would make more sense because Rollins would have no escape. The match he choose allows the authority to stack the deck

Aiii

So not worth it
20140730_summerlayla_discoinferno.jpg

http://www.wwe.com/inside/summer-rae-layla-with-classic-superstars-photos

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Austin is not in good shape.

Steve-Austin-Arsenio-Hall-Bieber.jpg

And he doesn't have to be. However, the reason why I believe he won't wrestle is because of his fear of injuring his neck further. That stress made him have a panic attack right before WM 19. He's still rightfully stressed out about it.

Into

The Paul Heyman documentary completely exposes Stephanie McMahon, whom i am not even sure is in character or is this the real her, she comes across as stupid and even pretends to be on his level or even above.

I am surprised they did not edit much of this out, its one of the better documentaries that WWE has done.

Austin is not in good shape.

Steve-Austin-Arsenio-Hall-Bieber.jpg

And he doesn't have to be. However, the reason why I believe he won't wrestle is because of his fear of injuring his neck further. That stress made him have a panic attack right before WM 19. He's still rightfully stressed out about it.

Pretty sure he was in better shape for WM30. But yeah, I'd prefer it if he stayed retired, if not to avoid looking like Rock and Batista, then to avoid fucking up his neck.

wrestlemania-30-stone-cold-and-hogan.jpg

Sephzilla

According to Austin he doesn't want to put in the work just for one match. But if he came back for more than that, what would he do???

Whatever he does, needs to decide quick.

Or maybe who else would be worth the program for right now? He probably doesn't want to do one with Cena but who else would be a good program to start with?

Fantasy booking time.

Considering Bryan is indefinitely on the shelf and Cena isn't entirely in the storyline, I think it would make sense for Austin to come back and challenge The Authority on the grounds that

A) Austin's character has never liked authority figures

B) Austin's character has never really liked HHH

It would probably result in a HHH vs Austin match that could easily be near the top of the card, and since it wouldn't be for the title then it wouldn't be taking a spot away from the younger guys.

Pretty sure he was in better shape for WM30. But yeah, I'd prefer it if he stayed retired, if not to avoid looking like Rock and Batista, then to avoid fucking up his neck.

Correct me if I'm wrong but after his neck injury I don't remember Austin ever having legitimately brutal matches with anyone after that. Yeah he had matches that looked rough but he never really got into many hardcore matches or gimmick matches like HIAC or TLC. His matches post neck injury were fairly safe and I think he'd probably have another match like that if he came back.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
tumblr_n8ea8tSXDb1shsq9jo2_400.gif

The WWE is so missing the ball on a Kane/Taker animated movie. These idiots spend years building up these careers only to have them job out for no reason. Instead of just utilizing these character, they'll have them play other ones, lol.

Sephzilla

tumblr_n8ea8tSXDb1shsq9jo2_400.gif

The WWE is so missing the ball on a Kane/Taker animated movie. These idiots spend years building up these careers only to have them job out for no reason. Instead of just utilizing these character, they'll have them play other ones, lol.

I legit miss the days were they really played up Kane and Taker having supernatural powers. It was comic booky as hell especially in the Attitude Era of all places, but fuck it was cool.

If Brock wins, that's basically all you need to know that there will be a 16th reign in Cena's future.

Enjoy Brock's win. Flair's record is done.

Sephzilla

Bowser

If Brock wins, that's basically all you need to know that there will be a 16th reign in Cena's future.

Enjoy Brock's win. Flair's record is done.

Cena's going to be around for another 5 years at least. Flair's record is done regardless of whether or not Brock wins. I think we'll end up hitting 20 Cena reigns.

Xater

Cena's going to be around for another 5 years at least. Flair's record is done regardless of whether or not Brock wins. I think we'll end up hitting 20 Cena reigns.

Yup and the way title reigns are handled these dates the number of times you won it is absolutely meaningless.

Ithil

WWE lumberjack matches always become more about the lumberjack shtick than the actual match. Terrible idea for the match that had been bound to be the best on the card.

Sephzilla

Who still has pyro when they come out??????????

Batista is gonna be sad.

RVD, Kofi, Big Show once and a while, does Fandango have his pyro still?

But yeah, sounds like WWE needs to save up their pyro budget for their annual "point to the Wrestlemania sign" moment

RP912

Banned
I legit miss the days were they really played up Kane and Taker having supernatural powers. It was comic booky as hell especially in the Attitude Era of all places, but fuck it was cool.

I was such a mark back in the days I seriously thought they actually had powers :/.

jmdajr

I was thinking how Hogan wears the shades these days because he looks so damn old without them. The eyes man.

jmdajr

You might be right. Brock really should have been around regularly right after Mania. Busting fools left and right on a path straight to Summerslam.

Brock beating up fools via satellite would work. Maybe they can take one afternoon to film vignettes of Brock killing jobbers back stage.

Gorillaz

I don't know if the Taker Rub has been wasted, but it feels like they are between a rock and a hard place with it. They won't have him win forever. He will have to lose eventually and from there they will retroactively give the guy who beat Brock the "the one who beat the guy who beat the streak".

Zach

Can you imagine if Austin never lost his hair? And somehow he still got over with the whole Stone Cold schtick? For some reason that's what I thought of while looking at that picture. Specifically the thinning, short hair he has right now in my viewings (1994). Someone needs to photoshop it. >_>

Son Of D

Totals days holding the belt should be the more significant number

It really should be. Edge for example has held 11 world titles (7 WHC and 4 WWE) but his combined reigns comes to 548 days. Nearly 50 days per reign on average.

Whereas providing Lesnar beats Cena at Summerslam and holds the title until Mania, then his combined 4 reigns will be 579 days, 144 days on average per reign. 118 days per reign on average from his 3 previous reigns.

Which is more impressive?

jmdajr

It really should be. Edge for example has held 11 world titles (7 WHC and 4 WWE) but his combined reigns comes to 548 days. Nearly 50 days per reign on average.

Whereas providing Lesnar beats Cena at Summerslam and holds the title until Mania, then his combined 4 reigns will be 579 days, 144 days on average per reign. 118 days per reign on average from his 3 previous reigns.

Yeah but Edge made out with Vickie. Brock wouldn't have the guts.

Nitro update

While discussing the Network, it was noted that WCW Monday Nitro episodes would begin to be added to the Network this Fall alongside the Monday Night War documentary series. WWE will also be posting Raw episodes from that era at the same time.

imBask

Banned
Lumberjack matches are awful

especially when neither of the competitor are trying to run away from the other... You wanna have this kind of match for something like Rusev vs Zeb Colter, that way Zeb can't get away

There is no logic behind that lumberjack match, and that's following 2 dreadful Raws IMO

I really don't know wtf they're doing right now

Aiii

So not worth it

Neither, because in the end it is a fake belt that changes hands on the whims of a writing team.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but in the end, it doesn't really mean anything. It is the guys that make the belt, not the belt that makes the guys.

Edge's legacy is shit like the Lita/Hardy angle, not the amount of title runs or combined days he held a title.

RP912

Banned
Nitro update

While discussing the Network, it was noted that WCW Monday Nitro episodes would begin to be added to the Network this Fall alongside the Monday Night War documentary series. WWE will also be posting Raw episodes from that era at the same time.

smh

Verendus

Banned
So it seems like I missed nothing these past couple weeks from Raw? And people want Brock to keep the title until Wrestlemania. You will never learn.

I wonder why Ambrose/Rollins wouldn't be a Ladder match for the MITB contract. It seems like the obvious route to go. Rollins sold out for that, Ambrose aims to take it from him. Lumberjack matches are terrible.

Sephzilla

You might be right. Brock really should have been around regularly right after Mania. Busting fools left and right on a path straight to Summerslam.

Brock also not being booked as an unstoppable monster leading up to WrestleMania i think hurt that rub a ton too

especially when neither of the competitor are trying to run away from the other... You wanna have this kind of match for something like Rusev vs Zeb Colter, that way Zeb can't get away

There is no logic behind that lumberjack match, and that's following 2 dreadful Raws IMO

I really don't know wtf they're doing right now

They saw that there was at least one other match to be excited for than Brock/Cena 32 and HHH's Wife vs Daniel Bryan's Wife, and they just couldn't take that

Top Bottom