• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT 2| All popped everything ft. Injuries too

bjork

I kinda agree that they should do more to make dudes look better, and that can be done solely with writing, it doesn't even have to be in-ring. But I recall that he had some kind of monetary slant in there too, like he thought he should be making Cena-tier money or something. If he's generating attendance and shirt sales on that level, then fine. But was he?

Kaladin

But Ryback's brand was as strong as possible. He just doesn't have a place in the current WWE roster. He can't keep up with most of the roster in the ring. Modern WWE doesn't have room for big guys that can't do more than stiff power moves. He felt out of place.

Sheamus is in a similar position, but he can somewhat hang with some of the more agile talent.

I kinda agree that they should do more to make dudes look better, and that can be done solely with writing, it doesn't even have to be in-ring. But I recall that he had some kind of monetary slant in there too, like he thought he should be making Cena-tier money or something. If he's generating attendance and shirt sales on that level, then fine. But was he?
I remember at the beginning his merchandise was big amongst the crowd, then maybe 2 years after you started to see less people buying his stuff.

imBask

Banned
Reeves also claimed that he was supposed to face AJ Styles at WrestleMania 32, with McMahon telling him that he would "squash that little twerp."

as much as I hate Ryback, I can believe Vince said that

Tom Nook

Reeves also claimed that he was supposed to face AJ Styles at WrestleMania 32, with McMahon telling him that he would "squash that little twerp."

Thank god that didn't happen.

At least AJ lost to a ring veteran.

Kaladin

AJ Styles was the biggest talent acquisition they made this year. The guy slid right in as a main event level talent and hasn't disappointed yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him with gold at some point this year.

NastyBook

R65tIc.gif
Even after I take my Rose Tinted Glasses off, this still looks fucking awesome.

bjork

500k a year to wrestle plus merch sales

Hard deal to walk away from.

I respect if it isn't what you want to do and he's supposedly put his money away, so why not go have fun?

Brock walking out of his original WWE contract always boggles my mind, though. He'd be done by now and could've still done all that other stuff.

imBask

Banned
he walked away from 1.5M because deep down inside he ACTUALLY thinks he's a good wrestler 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I respect if it isn't what you want to do and he's supposedly put his money away, so why not go have fun?

Brock walking out of his original WWE contract always boggles my mind, though. He'd be done by now and could've still done all that other stuff.
I tell lots of people, if Brock never walked out everything would be a complete opposite of what it is today.

Barrage

I like that Ryback uses that AJ Styles story as an example of Vince lying to him, when all it makes me think is "thank you Vince,never stop lying."

he walked away from 1.5M because deep down inside he ACTUALLY thinks he's a good wrestler 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Whan you put it that way, what a fucking goof 😂😂😂😂😂

cordy

Banned
Ryback would have been a major competitor on SD if he stayed. He's be one of the main guys. I mean 500K guaranteed? Come on bruh, you take what you can get out here.

DMczaf

He worked himself into a shoot.

This is the very definition of it

As noted, FOX recently renewed American Grit, which is hosted and executive produced by John Cena, for a second season.

There was speculation that John Cena would be taking a hiatus from WWE soon to start filming the second season given the finish of his match to AJ Styles at WWE SummerSlam last week. Cena lost his match to AJ Styles clean, and left one of his "Never Give Up" bands on the mat before leaving the ring. He has yet to appear on WWE television since the loss, although he wrestled dark matches at RAW and SmackDown last week.

Despite that finish, we have learned that Cena will not be taking a hiatus from WWE until mid-October, which is when the first season began filming last year. Cena is expected to be out of action for most - if not all - of the remainder of the year to film the show.

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201...john-cena-will-be-taking-his-next-wwe-hiatus/

bjork

Has Cena made a public apology to the Rock yet? All those promos in preacher mode like IM HERE EVERY DAY FUCKER I DIDNT GO TO HOLLYWOOD I LOVE THE FANS I LOVE THIS JOB I LIVE THIS JOB or whatever, and look at him now.

Fox318

Despite the heat between punk and Ryback ironically they left the company for the same reason.

Also Cody Rhodes.

Man if only WCW was around.

While Ryback did indeed get better over the years, it's worth noting what a pile of shit he was at first - there have been numerous dudes in wrestling who were presented as some sort of monstrous freak of nature, only to then lack the functional strength needed to not only pull off a manoeuvre but to also make it look ridiculously easy at the same time. There's many reasons as to why Ryback failed, many of them WWE's fault, but to my mind that early push way before he was ready did his career a lot of damage.

Striker

I remember at the beginning his merchandise was big amongst the crowd, then maybe 2 years after you started to see less people buying his stuff.
He definitely was when he was rising up the roster and then they forced him in that dumb Hell in a Cell match and lost because he got low blowed. Then they make him look good in the Rumble and they do a half-ass style build between him and Mark Henry for 'Mania, only to have him lose. :lol So he did have something going, can understand his frustration.

Being lied to by writers, Vince, Hayes, whomever is nothing new. Sure he knew that. Rhodes story is well known by now and Batista also said he was offered movie roles and they didn't let him get into them for whatever reason.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He definitely was when he was rising up the roster and then they forced him in that dumb Hell in a Cell match and lost because he got low blowed. Then they make him look good in the Rumble and they do a half-ass style build between him and Mark Henry for 'Mania, only to have him lose. :lol So he did have something going, can understand his frustration.

Being lied to by writers, Vince, Hayes, whomever is nothing new. Sure he knew that. Rhodes story is well known by now and Batista also said he was offered movie roles and they didn't let him get into them for whatever reason.
Yup, booking fucked him at that HIAC. Punk couldn't lose and Ryback couldn't lose, in a way they both lost a ton of steam with that main event.

While Ryback did indeed get better over the years, it's worth noting what a pile of shit he was at first - there have been numerous dudes in wrestling who were presented as some sort of monstrous freak of nature, only to then lack the functional strength needed to not only pull off a manoeuvre but to also make it look ridiculously easy at the same time. There's many reasons as to why Ryback failed, many of them WWE's fault, but to my mind that early push way before he was ready did his career a lot of damage.
Yeah when he lost to Punk, his heat was gone but he couldn't win that match. His career would still be the same, if not even worse. They should've gave it another year before pulling the trigger in his huge push. But you can't lie, the crowd ate him up, the feed me more chants were loud.

Agreed but when he was allowed to be himself I enjoyed him. Some of his network and YouTube stuff was fun and made him very likable. The push was about a year too early and ruined him. Same thing is about to happen to Braun Strowman.

jmdajr

I think Ryback should have taken the money. He was still 34 and 3 years isn't forever.

Then again would you says 1 wwe year equals 3 normal people years?

Kaladin

One of my favorite guilty pleasures lately is those Top 10 Things WWE Wants You To Forget About X videos on Youtube that What Culture does.

Top Bottom