• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT 2| All popped everything ft. Injuries too

bjork

Yes there is that except it was never consistent. Concretely on TV he never really tried to break the glass ceiling, nor claimed he wanted to go at one of the champs.

That's the major problem those days with this kind of anti authority figure wrestler. They are just wayy to docile and accept their position in the roster... That kills their character. After the Draft he was meant to be unhappy, so what does he say in an interview ? "I can understand i'm not picked before guys like Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose.." really ? lol He should be shitting all over their face..

Out of curiosity, how would you write a guy in that position? Too docile is bad, but what is angry enough? Austin set the bar, but anything close to that is gonna create a "this guy is trying to be Austin, creative is so lame" discussion instead. Is there a happy medium?

Kaladin

I had only watched a couple of his ROH matches before.

He still does the same stuff he did later one but yeah, at a very different pace. But I think changing to a very explosive state was crucial for him later on.

Bryan displayed a good range of styles in the indies from technical to brawling to everything in between depending on what the match called for.

3 matches to watch for Bryan :

vs Takeshi Morishima (ROH Manhattan Mayhem II)

vs Nigel McGuinness (ROH Unified)

vs Colt Cabana (2 / 3 Falls) (ROH Gut Check)

and a bonus :

vs Homicide (ROH Final Battle 2006)

Not all of Dragon's greatest hits, but a good showcase of his range of styles.

Marvel

could never
Poor Bo... I liked his old gimmick and now it's just a shitshow. Out of shape, bad ring gear and nothing for him.

orioto

Good Art™
Out of curiosity, how would you write a guy in that position? Too docile is bad, but what is angry enough? Austin set the bar, but anything close to that is gonna create a "this guy is trying to be Austin, creative is so lame" discussion instead. Is there a happy medium?

I don't know it doesn't have to be the guy wanting to be a star all the way. But you need to at least have him in the same picture as the top guys somewhat, sometimes. It's the whole visible hierarchy that make any midcard>mainevent push impossible in WWE. They show you so much who is important and who is less important... And wrestlers have to play that game. At least when you're a cocky douchebag heel and a prizefighter, you should never look like you're obeying your hierarchy.

bjork

I don't know it doesn't have to be the guy wanting to be a star all the way. But you need to at least have him in the same picture as the top guys somewhat, sometimes. It's the whole visible hierarchy that make any midcard>mainevent push impossible in WWE. They show you so much who is important and who is less important... And wrestlers have to play that game. At least when you're a cocky douchebag heel and a prizefighter, you should never look like you're obeying your hierarchy.

That's fair enough, I agree.

Owens is a bad choice. He's in a comedy tag team with Jericho. There is no build for him having the biggest title on the show, and you don't go to that a week after being in a comedy tag team. There's a thing called "transition".

Wagram

The one positive for Rusev in that feud is much more TV exposure. Outside of that he'll drop the belt if it continues.

Owens is a bad choice. He's in a comedy tag team with Jericho. There is no build for him having the biggest title on the show, and you don't go to that a week after being in a comedy tag team. There's a thing called "transition".

There's no good choice. Cass isn't ready. Rollins has no face opponent outside of Zayn who he beat last week. Reigns would be a retread with Rollins, and his feud with Rusev would mysteriously vanish.

Owens would at least bring variety to the mix.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Owens - JeriKO feud
Roman - Rusev
Cass - JeriKO feud
Rollins - nothing
It's over dudes. The dream is dead. :(

I feel like Rusev has already been thoroughly crushed by the god Roman. Which is impressive considering they didn't actually have their match on the PPV. There's no need to continue that program.

wwSqEXz.jpg

kiguel182

God so much of the Ryback interview is the same shit that everyone says.

The fucking company is built around plaicating Steph and the McMahon's ego.

The shoot interviews are all the same story. Hard to doubt them anymore.

As much as I'm not the biggest Ryback fan I can totally see where he is coming. Same for Punk or Rhodes.

And then you have Vince saying nobody grabs the brass ring and stuff like that. It doesn't sound like a good work environment at all.

Zach

The shoot interviews are all the same story. Hard to doubt them anymore.

As much as I'm not the biggest Ryback fan I can totally see where he is coming. Same for Punk or Rhodes.

And then you have Vince saying nobody grabs the brass ring and stuff like that. It doesn't sound like a good work environment at all.
That's not what NVM tells me.

kiguel182

Bryan displayed a good range of styles in the indies from technical to brawling to everything in between depending on what the match called for.

3 matches to watch for Bryan :

vs Takeshi Morishima (ROH Manhattan Mayhem II)

vs Nigel McGuinness (ROH Unified)

vs Colt Cabana (2 / 3 Falls) (ROH Gut Check)

and a bonus :

vs Homicide (ROH Final Battle 2006)

Not all of Dragon's greatest hits, but a good showcase of his range of styles.

I will search for those, thanks!

If you're a fan of Owens, you should be rooting for him not to win. His first title win should be a properly built storyline and not he gets the title "just 'cause".

When you have talent that the company goes out of their way to remind every goverment and business authority as independet contractors then they should have the right to seek some opprutinites.

Punk wanted the sponsorship (which they then let brock had)
Punk wanted to walk out to a UFC event (which HHH then did and everyone ignored him over Bieber)
Ryback was trying to get on the cover of flex maginzine (was told no because Steph was on the cover of another mag at the time)
Everyone has complained about the merch situation and Ryback brought up the fact that people like Big Show don't even have shirts at live events despite being with the company for so long.

Plus he brought up the fact that they still don't pay for travel to cut costs.

I'm thinking about 3H and how he did a worked angle with Brock resulting in his arm being broken and in a sling, while on a Saturday night, 3H walks out with Floyd Mayweather sans sling. As much as he says he loves "This Business (TM)," 3H doesn't know, or care to keep kayfabe.

If you're a fan of Owens, you should be rooting for him not to win. His first title win should be a properly built storyline and not he gets the title "just 'cause".

Wouldn't that be the storyline for anyone who wins it? It's a brand new title, after all. I have faith in Owens to run with it and make it as interesting as he's allowed to.

orioto

Good Art™

But you never know actually. I agree, but a first "accidental" title can be a starter. At least after that he can brag and that elevates him.

Aiii

So not worth it

Ah yes, the powerful magical storyline where everything is perfect and winning a championship of a fake sport really really means something, as opposed to this fake win that is obviously giving you a way lesser run with the fake championship that just won't mean as much.

It's not how you get the ball, it's what you do with it once you have it.

Barrage

Owens winning makes zero sense. This is a "thinking with your heart not your head" moment. In terms of recent booking, he actually has less momentum than Big Cass.

But when the logic leans towards Rollins or Reigns, suddenly "logical" becomes predictable and momentum and consistency become bad things.

Owens winning makes zero sense. This is a "thinking with your heart not your head" moment. In terms of recent booking, he actually has less momentum than Big Cass.

But when the logic leans towards Rollins or Reigns, suddenly "logical" becomes predictable and momentum and consistency become bad things.
He and Y2J beat Cass at the Slam.

So KO, who was on the team that beat Cass's team, has less momentum than Cass.

klonere

Banned
When you have talent that the company goes out of their way to remind every goverment and business authority as independet contractors then they should have the right to seek some opprutinites.

Punk wanted the sponsorship (which they then let brock had)
Punk wanted to walk out to a UFC event (which HHH then did and everyone ignored him over Bieber)
Ryback was trying to get on the cover of flex maginzine (was told no because Steph was on the cover of another mag at the time)
Everyone has complained about the merch situation and Ryback brought up the fact that people like Big Show don't even have shirts at live events despite being with the company for so long.

Plus he brought up the fact that they still don't pay for travel to cut costs.

You are right, no doubt.

But alas, there is nothing else for mainstream American wrasslemen. McMahonway or the highway.

bjork

Maybe somebody attacks Rollins and another man takes his place.

I wrote the perfect storyline where Cesaro methodically took out everyone and kidnapped Rollins, to later bring him out to the ring duct taped, lay him down and pin him. But whatever WWE butthole reads this thread, didn't take my suggestion.

orioto

Good Art™
That said in term of momentum, Owens is in a title match cause he defeated Neville with Jericho's help... :( I think that's the weakest entry to a main event ever.

Also don't forget Jericho helped Owens, but Owens didn't help Jericho..

Aiii

So not worth it
See, what I'm saying is that Owens winning the title is poor booking. So, don't pick and choose when you want to complain about poor booking.

You are right, of course, WWE should totally have realised that Balor would get injured and planned accordingly in the months previous.

Aiii

So not worth it
That said in term of momentum, Owens is in a title match cause he defeated Neville with Jericho's help... :( I think that's the weakest entry to a main event ever.

Also don't forget Jericho helped Owens, but Owens didn't help Jericho..

Heel's cheat. It doesn't mean they are weak, it means they are heel's.

Top Bottom