• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT 2| All popped everything ft. Injuries too

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People are upset that you are suggesting we are all being worked by "the new kayfabe". Or at least that's how the post came off.
Has zero to do with those specifics. I'm not suggesting because Rollins dated a nazi taxi driver that that's why people hate him. It's a perceived thing that he's unsafe and dangerous (when he's really not, these things happen and can happen to anyone) which has made people legitimately hate him. He's playing into it too.

I don't really care about Brock being a shit. His job is to show up a few times a year and wreck someone, and he does that admirably. His views on anything not that are farts in the void.

Absolutely. I have his workout video and I'm almost there!
019HHH_03272003RR_00273.jpg

imBask

Banned
It's not the 1980s anymore, LGBT people deserve respect even in wrestling, and we're done waiting on you to consider if we deserve it or not

I understand what you're saying and i'm not saying you're wrong at all, but at some point where's the line? what can we use to drive the crowd against someone and what can't we use?

Nah, it's not cool in any context in 2016. Also WTF are you talking about, the instances we are talking about are candid and not in character.

and that's not ok, obviously, I was talking in general since heels aren't heels anymore

Not down. Partially because at least 40% of the crowd will not find hate speech to be a heel tactic.

that's the risk, and I agree that it wouldn't work in America

Toki767

Not down. Partially because at least 40% of the crowd will not find hate speech to be a heel tactic.
When your supposed lead face uses stereotypical insults like calling someone's Russian wife a mail order bride, why would hate speech draw any heel heat?

People are upset that you are suggesting we are all being worked by "the new kayfabe". Or at least that's how the post came off.

That's what I'm upset about. It always comes off as defense of shit behavior, and it's never just one person making these types of comments or excuses for the toxicity. And yes, hate speech.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nah, it's not cool in any context in 2016. Also WTF are you talking about, the instances we are talking about are candid and not in character.

I'm pretty sure he's just being sarcastic based on Sunny (apparently) arguing that disliking Lesnar for his personal views is "new kayfabe" or something (which is a made-up term to dismiss someone's opinion as them getting worked).

dream

I may publish my thesis on The New Kayfabe on legitshook.com. I'm pondering this right now. But in the meantime, what you need to know is:

The inherent contradiction that wrestling fans face is that they know professional wrestling is fake, but at the same time, they need to believe it's real--otherwise, what's the point of watching 8-12 hours a week, or however much you guys watch, of pro wrestling? Wrestling fans are also ravenous for information on and discussions of pro wrestling and, with the advent of the Internet, have many places in which they can read and talk about pro wrestling. So my theory of The New Kayfabe posits that wrestling bookers now book their promotions using multiple layers. There are the obvious good guy/bad guy dichotomous angles. But there's also the "real" angles that they share with only the most "inside" of fans. Jericho tried to fight Brock. Sasha "popped." Sin Cara pulled a gun on El Patron. Brock "went into business for himself" against RKO. And it's all booked to look organic--think about how NXT fans believe that the promotion is something that they created and are a part of, for example--allowing bookers to work fans that pride themselves on being too "smart" to work, aka all of you.

Mahonay

Banned
Guys. I hope we don't get some story this week about how the reason WWE dressed La Sombra up the way they did was some super racist suggestion by HHH.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure he's just being sarcastic based on Sunny (apparently) arguing that disliking Lesnar for his personal views is "new kayfabe" or something (which is a made-up term to dismiss someone's opinion as them getting worked).
Nope, it's about the foundation of the Jericho/Lesnar altercation, I haven't even seen any report confirming slurs were used.

I'm honestly shocked and honestly very saddened that anyone would label me in the way Sweeney Tom did. Especially when you consider how people have told me I've contributed to "ruining" the wrasslin thread and pushed for people to get rid of a whole lot of really shitty practices. And don't get me wrong, it's a group effort, and everyone pitches in and I appreciate people being on my side helping make this community more respectable. It's just a shame how quickly how the community was and how it is is forgotten so fast.

AAW Pro
9 mins ·

Due to a communication error, @MilMuertes_LU will not be at our 9/16 event. We will reschedule him. Look for a replacement to be announced

Carnies

imBask

Banned
I may publish my thesis on The New Kayfabe on legitshook.com. I'm pondering this right now. But in the meantime, what you need to know is:

The inherent contradiction that wrestling fans face is that they know professional wrestling is fake, but at the same time, they need to believe it's real--otherwise, what's the point of watching 8-12 hours a week, or however much you guys watch, of pro wrestling? Wrestling fans are also ravenous for information on and discussions of pro wrestling and, with the advent of the Internet, have many places in which they can read and talk about pro wrestling. So my theory of The New Kayfabe posits that wrestling bookers now book their promotions using multiple layers. There are the obvious good guy/bad guy dichotomous angles. But there's also the "real" angles that they share with only the most "inside" of fans. Jericho tried to fight Brock. Sasha "popped." Sin Cara pulled a gun on El Patron. Brock "went into business for himself" against RKO. And it's all booked to look organic--think about how NXT fans believe that the promotion is something that they created and are a part of, for example--allowing bookers to work fans that pride themselves on being too "smart" to work, aka all of you.

that's a good post, but i'm way too smart to get worked by worked shoot brother

Mahonay

Banned
Let's be clear. I'm pretty sure none of us here are bigoted assholes. This discussion about these kind of instances wouldn't rile us up otherwise.

dream

I can't dig up the thread right now, but the most visible example of The New Kayfabe is Punk's "pipe bomb" promo. It's eye-opening to see how wrestlinggaf reacted to it, especially when Vince "cut the mic."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

What this actually is is an excuse to dismiss basically anyone's argument about anything related to wrestling by claiming the person with the opinion is just getting worked and therefore its not worth discussing.

There isn't any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Lesnar saying he hates gay people is a work.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How many Matrix layers deep is the New Kayfabe?
It's not actually that deep I don't think. People searching for something real within the act that they want to believe, and they do.

I understand what you're saying and i'm not saying you're wrong at all, but at some point where's the line? what can we use to drive the crowd against someone and what can't we use?

Example from just yesterday: if you're truly serious about being progressive to your audience, having a jobber who gets killed talk about liking big sweaty guys who kill right before? That? That's the type of stuff you don't use.

That's one example. Essentially if you need to get over by either being or making fun of a stereotype or caricature of a group of people, you're outdated and awful.

It's just aggravating because it is really fucking easy to do comedy that isn't bigoted. "Both sides" is bullshit. People have been doing comedy since the first pie to the face. It should be really easy to do wrestling that isn't bigoted too. Not every match needs a storyline, and not every storyline needs a punchline at a minority's expense. Why are we always punchlines

jmdajr

It's not actually that deep I don't think. People searching for something real within the act that they want to believe, and they do.

To me wrestling works/is fun because everything is always towing the line between fiction and reality. And it must have maddening consequences.

Just look at Hogan. The dude doesn't even know who he is anymore. And even that is people saying that he's just working a work that he's always working except when home etc. marks.

dream

What this actually is is an excuse to dismiss basically anyone's argument about anything related to wrestling by claiming the person with the opinion is just getting worked and therefore its not worth discussing.

There isn't any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Lesnar saying he hates gay people is a work.

That's what we get and deserve for following the carniest form of carny entertainment.

Hasney

At least try to keep such discussions as civil as possible though. We wouldn't want this thread to get got before the strung-out superstars of the WWE do.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I never said it was, though.

I'm referring to the situation between him and Jericho. Not an interview from 2004. Nor would I dismiss it. The closest I am to dismissing something shitty is the AJ stuff. Because God DAMMIT I hope he has learned and has changed. I hope he has.

Mahonay

Banned
To me wrestling works/is fun because everything is always towing the line between fiction and reality. And it must have maddening consequences.

Just look at Hogan. The dude doesn't even know who he is anymore. And even that is people saying that he's just working a work that he's always working except when home etc. marks.

That's what we get and deserve for following the carniest form of carny entertainment.

Being a wrestling fan is pretty much a living hell.

jmdajr

Example from just yesterday: if you're truly serious about being progressive to your audience, having a jobber who gets killed talk about liking big sweaty guys who kill right before? That? That's the type of stuff you don't use.

That's one example. Essentially if you need to get over by either being or making fun of a stereotype or caricature of a group of people, you're outdated and awful.

It's just aggravating because it is really fucking easy to do comedy that isn't bigoted. "Both sides" is bullshit. People have been doing comedy since the first pie to the face. It should be really easy to do wrestling that isn't bigoted too. Not every match needs a storyline, and not every storyline needs a punchline at a minority's expense. Why are we always punchlines

How is wrestling going to change when Vince is still in charge. All the progress is basically dragging, kicking, and screaming to get anywhere. And that's how it is with everything, some stuff slower than most. And with wrestling supposedly catering to the lowest common denominator it's been one heck of a climb
brother

imBask

Banned

I agree so i'll just end it here and say I was kinda wrong, I don't want to play devils advocate and have this thread get future endeavor'd

Zach

NeoGAF Vince McMahon, I don't really think you're the low man on the scrotum pole. I was merely trying to be cool like year 2000 bad influencer "The Kid" Billy Kidman.

I apologize for the hurt I've caused.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NeoGAF Vince McMahon, I don't really think you're the low man on the scrotum pole. I was merely trying to be cool like year 2000 bad influencer "The Kid" Billy Kidman.

I apologize for the hurt I've caused.
As long as you don't think I'm some tremendous piece of shit, I'm ok. Words can hurt, but can also heal.

I hadn't noticed until the Legit Shook Summerslam review, which is fantastic and the Ambrose:Ziggler section is an inspired takedown of why the buildup made no damn sense... but what the hell IS WWE doing having Seth with variants of white power symbols as his new logo, and the damn symbol without the SR straight up in his entrance.

www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate-on-display/c/celtic-cross.html

celtic-cross-1.jpg

big_1467338293_image.jpg
Great investigative work on Stormfront Seth, Cagey.

Top Bottom