• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT 2| All popped everything ft. Injuries too

So according to WON...let's recap...if Reigns didn't get a wellness violation...

- He'd still be undefeated and he would have went over Ambrose and Rollins at Battleground
- Reigns/Rollins would have been the main event for Summerslam
- Styles would be the first ever Universal Champion
- Ambrose wouldn't even be a champion yet
- Balor wouldn't have become a champion yet

And had Balor not gotten injured...

- Balor/Owens would have happened in September
- Balor/Owens/Jericho would have happened in October
- Reigns and Rollins would have been kept out of the title picture for a few months

Let all of that sink in. You don't focus a company around 1 guy.

I'm guessing that Styles gets the belt before the year's over, loses it to Cena next year giving Cena his 16th and it'll be Cena/Ambrose at WM.

Also...apparently NXT: Takeover was viewed more on than Summerslam so far on the Network...damn interesting.

I think more likely is Cena vs. AJ at WM.

Toki767

More happy that Styles will now get to hold the actually WWE title than a made up Universal title.

Even if the Universal title is going to end up being the main belt for the time being, the WWE title is going to have more longevity to it in the end.

cordy

Banned
I think more likely is Cena vs. AJ at WM.

I see them going again at the Rumble so Cena can get that belt back. Idk who Ambrose goes against at WM if not Cena. They've really been missing him out on this "face that runs the place" stuff which is pretty weird.

Wyatt will probably beat Ziggler's ass again too. For no reason other than to give him a win at WM.

I see them going again at the Rumble so Cena can get that belt back. Idk who Ambrose goes against at WM if not Cena. They've really been missing him out on this "face that runs the place" stuff which is pretty weird.

Wyatt will probably beat Ziggler's ass again too. For no reason other than to give him a win at WM.

Right now I see two possibilities for the Rumble. Finn returns and wins it, faces Rollins at WM. Cena wins it, faces AJ at WM.

Other choices will become clearer as we get closer, but those are my picks right now.

Savitar

Based on what Meltzer said:

The story behind Lesnar vs. Orton was to create a scenario where nobody knew where reality ended, and preferably where people thought Lesnar was breaking the code or script.

Orton wasn’t told until he got to the arena, as he was planning for a usual main event. He was told when he got there that he was not going to have a normal match, and that the match wasn’t about going back-and-forth and keeping both men strong, but about making Lesnar stronger. The original idea was to be a total destruction for Lesnar, where Orton would be on the ground bleeding. It was supposed to look like Lesnar “went against the script” on him and hurt him. There would be confusion and the match would end, with Orton seemingly concussed and the referee stopping the match....

There will be people denying this most likely, because they have to, but Orton was told that Lesnar knew how to graze him with his elbow to open up a cut without hurting him and was told that was what would happen in the match. As it turned out, Lesnar elbowed the hell out of him, and threw some stiff punches, and Orton was bleeding like crazy from a cut that needed ten staples to close. Orton stayed down and was acting like he was knocked out, as he was supposed to. Medical personnel and the referee acted confused, because they were. I don’t know this as a fact, but I believe the referee knew going in that Lesnar was winning, but if he did, was given a different finish, because the fact Lesnar was going over was not kept secret...

One person noted that Orton was told to do it, but wasn’t expecting it to be the way it was. He wasn’t going to complain publicly about it but also was never going to do that kind of a favor again and wasn’t particularly thrilled

Good thing he knew how to graze him.

Personal opinion. I didn't wanna see Reigns/Rollins square up again. They need to breathe a bit.

If they were supposed to fight at Summerslam right after the Shield triple threat, it was very likely going to be their last match for at least a while. Now who knows how long they're going to be stuck together.

So according to WON...let's recap...if Reigns didn't get a wellness violation...

- He'd still be undefeated and he would have went over Ambrose and Rollins at Battleground
- Reigns/Rollins would have been the main event for Summerslam
- Styles would be the first ever Universal Champion
- Ambrose wouldn't even be a champion yet
- Balor wouldn't have become a champion yet

And had Balor not gotten injured...

- Balor/Owens would have happened in September
- Balor/Owens/Jericho would have happened in October
- Reigns and Rollins would have been kept out of the title picture for a few months

Let all of that sink in. You don't focus a company around 1 guy.

I'm guessing that Styles gets the belt before the year's over, loses it to Cena next year giving Cena his 16th and it'll be Cena/Ambrose at WM.

Also...apparently NXT: Takeover was viewed more on than Summerslam so far on the Network...damn interesting.
Well hopefully he gets popped again. Fuck let Seth get popped too
rr-2010.gif

You know he would sell the hell out of being called the Universal Champion. It has to happen.
King of the universe BABY!

cordy

Banned
Right now I see two possibilities for the Rumble. Finn returns and wins it, faces Rollins at WM. Cena wins it, faces AJ at WM.

Other choices will become clearer as we get closer, but those are my picks right now.

It's definitely possible. The only thing I know for sure is that we're definitely getting another Cena/Styles rematch. We just have to at this point and it'll likely be what gives Cena his 16th world title.
If they were supposed to fight at Summerslam right after the Shield triple threat, it was very likely going to be their last match for at least a while. Now who knows how long they're going to be stuck together.

Yeah seriously especially with Balor being out of action. That's a major face taken out so the spots are limited.
Well hopefully he gets popped again. Fuck let Seth get popped too
rr-2010.gif

King of the universe BABY!

Just goes to show how serious they take somebody being popped. The crowd didn't shake Vince, Reigns not having a personality didn't shake Vince but getting popped? After that steroid stuff? Yeeeeeaaahhhhh that does it.
Based on what Meltzer said:

Good thing he knew how to graze him.

Damn, you know Orton's changed if he's not going to complain even when he wasn't thrilled with it.

Fox318

Somebody will have to explain to me how ZSJ is a bigger star than jack gallagher.

I'm convinced it's the union Jack jacket

It's definitely possible. The only thing I know for sure is that we're definitely getting another Cena/Styles rematch. We just have to at this point and it'll likely be what gives Cena his 16th world title.

Yeah seriously especially with Balor being out of action. That's a major face taken out so the spots are limited.

Just goes to show how serious they take somebody being popped. The crowd didn't shake Vince, Reigns not having a personality didn't shake Vince but getting popped? After that steroid stuff? Yeeeeeaaahhhhh that does it.

Damn, you know Orton's changed if he's not going to complain even when he wasn't thrilled with it.
More like Orton wanted to live to see his family.
And then have Kane pop Styles and Owens. I love how you think

Kane unifies the belts again
I was thinking more so Show since Kane is on SD. Don't worry though, we're getting Kane v Styles for the title at Royal Rumble.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Brother Blue, what episode is that Undertaker Speech about the Big Show and Death Valley? Want to make sure I didn't miss it falling asleep.

cordy

Banned
They'll probably give her extended time off to get her back problems handled.

Incoming Paige going through an "I need Del Rio so I'm gonna get wellnessed on purpose to go with him" moment.
So, I just found out about the brand split. Is any of them watchable?

SD has been killing it every week. It's not only watchable, it's watchable live and that goes for Talking Smack afterwards.

Raw? You only need to see the highlights which are pretty damn low.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well that's not entirely true either.

The first brand split RAW is hot fire, literally one of the best episodes of the program. The first Smackdown is fairly bad. Since then SD has been good to great and RAW has merely been good.

Brother Blue, what episode is that Undertaker Speech about the Big Show and Death Valley? Want to make sure I didn't miss it falling asleep.
16 8 99

Incoming Paige going through an "I need Del Rio so I'm gonna get wellnessed on purpose to go with him" moment.

SD has been killing it every week. It's not only watchable, it's watchable live and that goes for Talking Smack afterwards.

Raw? You only need to see the highlights which are pretty damn low.
crazy is, Dave isn't expecting him back so you're probably right.

Brothers, work and Mark in a thread that's not wrestling, I've seen it all now.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1269162&page=100000

Lothar

Banned

Why wouldn't Orton complain? He's not a rookie. He's like a 10 time world champion. He doesn't need to have his skull caved in and his brains splattered on the ground by a big giant oaf. That makes me lose a ton of respect for him. Stone Cold or the Rock wouldn't take that. Jericho wouldn't either.

cordy

Banned
Well that's not entirely true either.

The first brand split RAW is hot fire, literally one of the best episodes of the program. The first Smackdown is fairly bad. Since then SD has been good to great and RAW has merely been good.

The first Raw after the brand split was amazing, no way they could screw it up. Since then it's been on the "ok lemme watch these highlights I don't need to be here for 3 hours" type of thing. SD on the other hand, the first episode wasn't bad, it was good just not great, Raw was crazy. Since then? It's been on the "Ok, I gotta watch this live every week this is dope omg it's over now are you serious? Lemme watch that Talking Smack" type of thing.

We've had 5 weeks of the brand split so far and SD's been better 4/5 times. Raw was great the first week though.
Why wouldn't Orton complain? He's not a rookie. He's like a 10 time world champion. He doesn't need to have his skull caved in and his brains splattered on the ground by a big giant oaf. That makes me lose a ton of respect for him. Stone Cold or the Rock wouldn't take that. Jericho wouldn't either.

I'm not sure why he wouldn't complain but it is what it is I guess.
16 8 99

crazy is, Dave isn't expecting him back so you're probably right.

Brothers, work and Mark in a thread that's not wrestling, I've seen it all now.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1269162&page=100000

Idk how their relationship is but no matter she's a grown woman. I just hope she doesn't get wellnessed on purpose. There's other ways the company can fire you if she wanted to be fired.

Sblargh

Banned
I have not seen neither, just reading about the brands, but it seems that, so far, in general, raw got the best wrestlers, but sd the best personalities? Or at least the best storylines?

I mean, I kind of want to follow the brand that has the people I loved from NXT, but there doesn't seem to be anything particularly interesting happening there. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Toki767

I have not seen neither, just reading about the brands, but it seems that, so far, in general, raw got the best wrestlers, but sd the best personalities? Or at least the best storylines?

I mean, I kind of want to follow the brand that has the people I loved from NXT, but there doesn't seem to be anything particularly interesting happening there. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Raw got the best workers...except for the best worker. I feel like they have too much talent, and yet they still don't utilize most of the talent that they do have effectively.

Smackdown basically follows the NXT format, as its head writer is the writer for NXT. They make the most of what they're given.

So the choice is kind of obvious.

cordy

Banned
Yeah Raw has better talent but SD not only utilizes their roster better but, like stated, it's being written by the guy who used to write NXT. It makes more sense as a whole. For example, let's take this week's SD episode. Here's a few parts:

- Pre-intro segment shows Styles egging Ziggler on after the Ambrose loss, fight breaks out
- 10min opening segment that sets up 4 storylines: Ziggler/Styles again, tag team tourney for the new belts, women tourney for the new belt and Slater's whole thing
- All through the night they had matches in both tourneys which shows progression with each talent, Ascension looked tough, Breezango looked better than ever, AA looked great
- Another Styles/Ziggler showing which sets up a challenge for Ambrose's belt also a match from them later, made this seem more like a real feud given they've had 3 real segments about them already that were short and sweet. 4 if you count their match and the Ambrose staredown at the end

Here's a big reason why SD is better

- Carmella/Nikki...Carmella turns on Nikki which makes perfect sense. Carmella was a struggling babyface after only 1 month and they realized this, turned her heel and she's instantly better going against Nikki, the returning babyface who's still very popular. Unlike with Reigns on Raw and others, they immediately turned Carmella. She's more comfortable in this role too. Hell, the Usos are teasing a heel turn themselves which also makes sense.

It's stuff like that which is why it's better. Constant progression and common sense really. If Reigns was on SD (and Vince said they could do what they want with him), Reigns would be a heel, Cesaro would be in a main event spot (or about to be) and it would be great. Styles is killing it on SD and while he was killing it before, we know this man will not only be champion but he's got guys like Cena, Ambrose and Orton to work off of. With Reigns? It was great but idk about anyone else, I always looked at it as "ok he's being used to put Reigns over" type of situation. Here? Given he went over Cena? I think "man they love this guy he's getting his shot with main eventers like Ambrose and Cena", I feel he'll be more respected from a writing standpoint rather than being used as a placeholder on Raw.

Besides that, it's 2hrs compared to 3hrs. When I watch SD I think "wow it's over?" but when I watch Raw I think "thank god it's over."

cordy

Banned
Isn't this the same guy Cody Rhodes talked shit about like he was going to try to date all the women?

Nah.

The lead writer of RAW is Ed Koskey who Rhodes said is "pretending to be Brian Gewirtz." Been doing it since 2013.. The lead writer of SD is Ryan Ward, who used to write NXT. If you wanna know the kind of job the guy does, here's his history

1999 - A writer on SD
2008 - ECW head writer and a writer on Raw
2010 - Full time Raw writer
2011 - Writer on SD
2013 - Head writer on Raw

Sblargh

Banned
The "thank god it's over" factor is one of the big things that made me stop watching wrestling.
It's just kind of physically painful to look at a roster with Cena and another roster with KO and say "the one with Cena is better".

KingBroly

Banned
The former NXT lead writer is now the head writer of SD. At least, that's what I thought was the case. Smackdown is definitely the diesel engine wrestling show. It took a little bit to get going, but now that it is, it's running pretty strong. Whereas Raw started with a bang but has fizzled out.

I feel like there's always something interesting to come out of Smackdown weekly. I can't say that about Raw right now, but I'll give them a pass this time because the show had to be re-written this week.

Talking Smack is also a great addition, and while I don't have the Network to watch it, the internet has allowed what's on there to be propelled into the limelight. Unlike 'here's 20 hours of wrestling' specials they have, this show feels like an added bonus. It's smart with its' time and respects the viewer, at least for now.

Top Bottom