• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT 2| All popped everything ft. Injuries too

Somebody will have to explain to me how ZSJ is a bigger star than jack gallagher.

I'm convinced it's the union Jack jacket

He's got the edge on Gallagher in terms of experience, Jack only really broke out on the UK scene in the past couple of years - he had been around for a while (under different names, Jack Toxic, Jack Anthony, etc), but everything only started to really click for him fairly recently. Comparatively, ZSJ's been one of the top names in British wrestling for about 8 years now and has been working in Europe and Japan for just as long.

I was honestly surprised when they put Gallagher in the tournament, as his style shares a lot in common with Zack's but is seemingly more accessible to a lot of fans. However, as good as Gallagher is, I'd personally put more trust in Zack having a great match with a new opponent than Gallagher. Zack's resume over the past few years is stacked with some fantastic matches against a wide variety of opponents, and while Jack's been in a number of my personal MOTYC's, they've mostly been against guys well versed in the classic British wrestling style.

Somebody will have to explain to me how ZSJ is a bigger star than jack gallagher.

I'm convinced it's the union Jack jacket

Honest answer, as a Brit who prefers Zack? (Though that gap is closing of late)

4 years in NOAH. Most successful Brit abroad, as Devitt doesn't count.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think ZSJ was any good until he went to NOAH, honestly.

Previously to that he always just came off as 'yeah ok world of sport. no i get it'

Yeah I watched my first smackdown live/talking smack this week and while I don't like the roster nearly as much as RAW (aside from aj/miz) the show went by like a breeze.

Holy shit the difference between it and RAW was night and day. I was actually enjoying myself. Fuck man I wish the writer (and mauro) were on RAW. I just vastly prefer that roster but smackdown is clearly the superior show.

klonere

Banned
The two hours for Smackdown is its saving grace - it allows them to run a few show long angles without it becoming tired and overdone within the body of the show itself, which is more or less impossible with Raw. Slater was in the Rollins spot from summer last year - focus of many segments on the show, big part in the opening, middle and close of the show.

Except with the virtue of it being two hours, he didn't have to wrestle, each segment had a brevity and drive to it plus feature a bunch of other talents in a logical way.

Actually, an even better example is that of Bray Wyatt - arguably a talent who has been most damaged by three hour Raws, trotted out on a regular basis to do rambling 20 minute promos, sometimes building feuds completely on his own, just because he could technically do them without it being a total disaster. Plus, he would also have to wrestle on TV (although they didn't put him out there as much as other main eventers). Post brand split, Wyatt has wrestled 3 times on TV, twice in very important matches, first the 6-Pack challenge and secondly for a no.1 contender spot.

Now Bray is being written to speak directly to his opponent, setting up feuds that everyone can appreciate, in tight segments that still leverage his talents all while slowly building up a special aura of someone important whose matches and feuds are all special due to whom they are with, how they are put together and how little he wrestles as a singles guy.

orioto

Good Art™
Hm so RAW will be interesting...

But guys now that it leaked, the triple threat thing, Vince will say "It's not a surprise anymore if Owens wins, let's push CASS!!"

Also about the Balor feud, my only complaint is that Owens would have probably never won anything.. he would have been a cheap heel contender to make Balor look strong.. Except if Balor had shitty reactions (which again, they never had the time to test on a big audience).

Also i've always thought that Jericho run was different than usual. In the past he came back some weeks to enhance some fresh talent. This time he won a lot, stayed some months and his character is super over. They can indeed give him something.

That said Owens has never been so close.. I still think there is a slight problem with his character being more on the "funny heel who talks loud and lose" side than the "fierce fighter" one it was when he debuted. i'm not sure how a Champ Owens would work right now. I mean i'm sure it would work, but i'm not sure how.

MG310

All of the Smackdown roster feels connected.

Raw feels like 20 completely detached elements being shuffled around to fill 3 hours.

Marvel

could never
KOF14 Just arrived.

lodeGIu.jpg

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Watching the CWC, and it has come to my attention that Daniel Bryan is garbage level on commentary.
If it wasn't for Mauro,I would mute the Tv.
The way he oversells everything is painful after a few minutes.

Hasney

That first CWC match was spectacular. Love both those guys. Also loved how Bryan sold that Phoenix Splash like it was the greatest move of all time. Still love moves being called by both people on commentary here.

Hasney

ZSJ Vs Gulak is fantastic. God fucking damn. Pin out of nowhere without a roll up was really good and that Gulak SLAP. Just exorcised the soul out of ZSJ.

I figure if AJ is going to win the title at Backlash (and he should since Ambrose lost a LOT of steam), creative would maybe have to form more Club members just to keep up with AJ's heat since I'm betting alone will cause more people to cheer him than boo.

Hasney

How if the final of the CWC going to be handled?

RAW? Network special? Next NXT Takeover? Pre taped like the rest?

2 hour live Network special on the 14th Sep.

They've not announced the format, but I'm guessing that the next 2 weeks will just have 2 quarter finals each, then the final will have both the semis and the final in one night.

Then the division debuts on Raw on the 19th.

Meltzer giving love to our boy British Bootaay Monsoon!

From the latest WOR:

The WWE got a number of Twitter accounts suspended for posting SummerSlam gifs, including that of Senor Lariato, who would post highlights in gif form for wrestling all over the world. Lariato in particular was considered one of the key people in making New Japan Pro Wrestling popular to a number of American fans.

Hasney

Ooof, I think Gargano overshot that apron dive. Basically headbutted Perkins and landed his legs on that table.

EDIT: If it wasn't part of the story, it added to it with his knee and everything. Another fantastic match,

Think that episode is the best overall episode of CWC with just 3 great matches, even if none of them are THE best. Really enjoyed it.

Watching the CWC, and it has come to my attention that Daniel Bryan is garbage level on commentary.

Would rather have Daniel Bryan than that charisma of nothingness that is David Otunga. Even JBL - who at the first opportunity if I could if I was in charge of WWE would jettison from the company at a moment's notice - is even bearable. Most of the time, no, but every now and then, he finds something that I can go, 'alright, that's a good commentary call'.

Even Saxton, fucking Byron Saxton, is better than Otunga. Ugh.

Hold up, people like Mauro!? Dude is insufferable.

I have no comment on D Bry, haven't watched enough CWC, but he seemed OK in the few matches I have seen.

Andre loved da Meltz.

Last month I heard from all kinds of people who started reading the publication in the 80s and it was something I really cherished. One person relayed a story to me from the Bernard family, who lived with Andre the Giant, about how Andre one day came back to his farm after a road trip holding pieces of paper and showed them to Frenchy, a former referee to took care of his ranch. This was very early on, and the old school mentality was anything that was written that indicated pro wrestling wasn’t real was the enemy. Frenchy asked Andre if they should arrange to “take him out,” and Andre said, “Well, it’s all true and his writing makes me laugh

Meltz talking about his HOF experience was great

For better or worse, my parents and son had never been in a social situation where they’ve been able to talk with people or seen what I’ve spent so much time in my life working on. Particularly for my parents, I’ll always be grateful for the weekend, and for all the people involved who treated them so well.

This did help me reflect so much on the readership of this publication, who have inspired me for decades to, every week, do the best work I’m able to do. There’s usually no time to look back because every week has new challenges. But I can look back and say how lucky I’ve been, how absolutely wonderful the readership of this publication has been, and that it’s been a wonderful ride.

Pikma

Banned
The progress The Revival havw had in the last year just confirms the huge mistake early call ups are. Corbin and Crews really needed that extra time

Hasney

The progress The Revival havw had in the last year just confirms the huge mistake early call ups are. Corbin and Crews really needed that extra time

Corbin wasn't really showing much more progress and he'd been in the system for ages. Totally agreed on Crews though.

What are your thoughts on jbl

And Michael Cole

And Byron sexton

Can't stand the lot of em. Corey Graves and the King I can tolerate. I honestly don't really listen to the announcers much. Didn't even realize it until my wife would ask about things they said and I had them completely tuned out without noticing. Just bland, artificial commentary.

I think it's Mauro's constipated voice that bothers me. He makes me feel like I'm choking.

The only person I could see Corbin having a decent feud with would be Orton, maybe Cena too. But the guy is just.....

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's just blood, you weaklings. Now if lil Randall got a concussion, now we're talking.

Jeez. It's like none of you have ever suffered a comparable wound.

klonere

Banned
It's just blood, you weaklings. Now if lil Randall got a concussion, now we're talking.

Jeez. It's like none of you have ever suffered a comparable wound.

It was a fucking stupid idea. I mean the concept of a TKO finish with Brock is cool but the way they went about it, dumb as fuck.

Top Bottom