• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT 2| All popped everything ft. Injuries too

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Matt Hardy is the new Kevin Sullivan. Except he's so committed to it you can't tell if he's fucking around or not.

To me a broad term like wrestler of the year says, 'how much do I want to watch this person?' I don't care how many great matches Kenny Omega does because I don't care what happens to Kenny Omega. I think his promo work is bad and his character isn't convincing at all. And I don't want to see Bullet Club in 2016. Matt Hardy's matches aren't good but I want to see more of Matt Hardy because I want to see the spectacle of it. I want to see more Jeff Cobb or Kento Miyahara because I feel like I've only seen the edges of greatness and there's so many places I want to see it go. Go can't be my wrestler of the year because I have zero faith in NOAH and don't care if he thrives in an environment where nothing matters where it's booked by the even worse half of the NJPW bookers.

Heroman

Banned
I don't know who Boots is and I know of British Monsoon but he aint posting much anymore.

Yeah, I quickly learned while trying to watch G1 I was better off just skipping huge chunks of it. I eventually settled on watching a few Naito & Omega matches before watching Omega's final two matches.

My comment on "The Guy" was more just these overly elaborate soap opery story lines. As far as I can tell NJPW just seems to be more about rivalries and vendettas than "YOU INSULTED MY WIFE" kind of stuff, but maybe I haven't watched enough.

Funny enough one of the biggest feud in japan wrestling history is a "YOU INSULTED MY WIFE" type feud.

Anth0ny

Matt Hardy is the new Kevin Sullivan. Except he's so committed to it you can't tell if he's fucking around or not.

To me a broad term like wrestler of the year says, 'how much do I want to watch this person?' I don't care how many great matches Kenny Omega does because I don't care what happens to Kenny Omega. I think his promo work is bad and his character isn't convincing at all. And I don't want to see Bullet Club in 2016. Matt Hardy's matches aren't good but I want to see more of Matt Hardy because I want to see the spectacle of it. I want to see more Jeff Cobb or Kento Miyahara because I feel like I've only seen the edges of greatness and there's so many places I want to see it go. Go can't be my wrestler of the year because I have zero faith in NOAH and don't care if he thrives in an environment where nothing matters where it's booked by the even worse half of the NJPW bookers.

that's fair.

but don't go using "he spiked the ratings for tna from 350k to 410k for one week, he deserves to be wrestler of the year!" like that fucking means anything at all. it makes you sound like a crazy person.

and we don't take kindly to crazy people in the pro wrestling thread

IQkZnG5.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
that's fair.

but don't go using "he spiked the ratings for tna from 350k to 410k for one week, he deserves to be wrestler of the year!" like that fucking means anything at all. it makes you sound like a crazy person.

But wrestling is entirely about how much you draw. It's literally means everything.

that's fair.

IQkZnG5.gif

I can't wait to see Brock sell those punches.

Anth0ny

But wrestling is entirely about how much you draw. It's literally means everything.

and that's why shane o mac is the wrestler of the year, playa. i'm not even trolling, dude bumped the raw rating from a 2.48 to a 2.73, got a shit load of youtube views on his return, main evented the biggest show of all time with the undertaker, and is now a central figure in one of the biggest storylines in years (the new era).

"here comes the money" indeed

bjork

and that's why shane o mac is the wrestler of the year, playa. i'm not even trolling, dude bumped the raw rating from a 2.48 to a 2.73, got a shit load of youtube views on his return, main evented the biggest show of all time with the undertaker, and is now a central figure in one of the biggest storylines in years (the new era).

"here comes the money" indeed

have you been drinking, this fine morning?

I just learned that Jeff Hardy's current theme is just his synthesized voice yelling 'I fade away and classify myself as obselete' over and over.

klonere

Banned
I don't know who Boots is and I know of British Monsoon but he aint posting much anymore.

Yeah, I quickly learned while trying to watch G1 I was better off just skipping huge chunks of it. I eventually settled on watching a few Naito & Omega matches before watching Omega's final two matches.

My comment on "The Guy" was more just these overly elaborate soap opery story lines. As far as I can tell NJPW just seems to be more about rivalries and vendettas than "YOU INSULTED MY WIFE" kind of stuff, but maybe I haven't watched enough.

Yes, NJPW storyline generally are quite simple. But once you've been watching for a while, you can hit on something like Kenny's G1 win which was an unbelievable story. Guy tricks everyone into thinking he doesn't care/actively hates the G1 and actually takes it more seriously than any other bit of wrestling he's done to prove his detractors wrong, prove that he is a worthy heir to the Bullet Club while remaining loyal to NJPW (but still rejecting the fans because they only cheered for him when he was winning despite him not leaving like "the other guys').

Or you can watch Dragon Gate for an even better version of that

Why was Heath Slater out of the picture for so long? Injury? Got in trouble?

Didn't he have some kind of trouble with the law at some point? It might've been a long time ago because my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to remember that.

There were some accusations, but the charges were dropped early last year. I assume his lack of TV time pre-Social Outcasts was entirely due to creative having nothing.

klonere

Banned
My favorite bit in quite some time was Heath coming into the ring this week during Smackdown and making everyone break kayfabe. No one could contain their laughter. Daniel Bryan had to look down to avoid losing his shit.

Alexa barely held it together.

"IAH AM NOT A WOHMAN"

bjork

I want Heather's story to see him get a contract with some fluke win over someone that;s impressive enough that the other show tries to woo him away, and it somehow culminates with him needing to win the RR in order to stay employed.

Anything to keep it from the final 4 being like Roman/Orton/Kane/Jericho

Yes, NJPW storyline generally are quite simple. But once you've been watching for a while, you can hit on something like Kenny's G1 win which was an unbelievable story. Guy tricks everyone into thinking he doesn't care/actively hates the G1 and actually takes it more seriously than any other bit of wrestling he's done to prove his detractors wrong, prove that he is a worthy heir to the Bullet Club while remaining loyal to NJPW (but still rejecting the fans because they only cheered for him when he was winning despite him not leaving like "the other guys').

Or you can watch Dragon Gate for an even better version of that

Is there anyone else in the Bullet Club that's worth being excited about? I've only heard of the Young Bucks, but haven't watched a match of theirs yet. The only guy I tried to watch were Fale and Tonga, and Tama Tonga was corny as hell to me. Basically an nWo USO

Is there anyone else in the Bullet Club that's worth being excited about? I've only heard of the Young Bucks, but haven't watched a match of theirs yet. The only guy I tried to watch were Fale and Tonga, and Tama Tonga was corny as hell to me. Basically an nWo USO

Omega
Young bucks
Adam Cole (BAY BAY)

klonere

Banned

The Bucks are fun but they are very much an acquired taste imo.

Fale is shocklingly my current favorite of the rest of the group, he had a lot of entertaining matches in the G1 with a variety of opponents, as opposed to Tama Tonga who failed to impress on his big chance. Tama Roa is straight up bad. Cole is very highly spoken of but I haven't seen him wrestle all that much. Adam Page is fine I guess?

Kenny is definitely carrying the Japanese portion of the whole deal right now although I wouldn't be surprised to see more of Cole in NJPW in the future.

bjork

Seth has to temporarily power down for firmware updates from the future. That explains any time he's missed.

edit new page

7ksdcc.gif

Mahonay

Banned
Patterson interview is good. Talking about how the most important thing in wrestling is telling a story in the ring. How the top guys need to slow down in the ring. Austin agreeing and adding "what's the point of doing all of this stuff if it doesn't add anything to the match"?

Couldn't agree more. As much as I love strong work rate and high spots, at some point 50-75 percent of what you're doing in the ring has no impact when you're just pointlessly busting out move after move.

I think that's one of the major issues with Cesaro. The dude is an absolutely insane worker, but he doesn't often take the time to tell a story in his match. AJ Styles is a guy that can do both, work like an absolute maniac, and makes damn sure to tell a story in all of his matches. It's why he's hands down the best worker right now in business. He's one of the only guys that fully understand what gets people invested in a match. Sami is similar.

I'll also say Charlotte doesn't get enough credit for almost always inserting psychology and story into her matches. Sure, sometimes things don't go to plan, but she gets it. Once she gets more consistent in the ring she'll be remembered as an all-time great.

bjork

I feel like some people have said this for years, like Cornette. And even though he's right, people go "oh shut up with your old man wrestling old man" and shit.

klonere

Banned
Patterson interview is good. Talking about how the most important thing in wrestling is telling a story in the ring. How the top guys need to slow down in the ring. Austin agreeing and adding "what's the point of doing all of this stuff if it doesn't add anything to the match"?

Couldn't agree more. As much as I love strong work rate and high spots, at some point 50-75 percent of what you're doing in the ring has no impact when you're just pointlessly busting out move after move.

I think that's one of the major issues with Cesaro. The dude is an absolutely insane worker, but he doesn't often take the time to tell a story in his match. AJ Styles is a guy that can do both, work like an absolute maniac, and makes damn sure to tell a story in all of his matches. It's why he's hands down the best worker right now in business. He's one of the only guys that fully understand what gets people invested in a match. Sami is similar.

I'll also say Charlotte doesn't get enough credit for almost always inserting psychology and story into her matches. Sure, sometimes things don't go to plan, but she gets it. Once she gets more consistent in the ring she'll be remembered as an all-time great.

but AJ's last match was the zenith of move kickout move kickout finisher kickout indie fests.

Meanwhile I can't remember the last Cesaro match that went over 10 minutes?

Mahonay

Banned
I feel like some people have said this for years, like Cornette. And even though he's right, people go "oh shut up with your old man wrestling old man" and shit.
The consensus on Cornette has definitely turned back into "he was right about what's important in wrestling, but he's still a fucking asshole".
but AJ's last match was the zenith of move kickout move kickout finisher kickout indie fests.

Meanwhile I can't remember the last Cesaro match that went over 10 minutes?
Kick out fests work if it MEANS something and the crowd is reacting to it.

Also you can definitely tell a story in a 8 to 10 minute match.

bjork

So I unwrap this drumstick, and the end of the cone is broken. But inside the wrapper, I see two broken cone tips.

Is this a good omen?

Tagyhag

Charlotte has been doing good work. She got rid of Ric so he's no longer her crutch, she's consistently putting out good matches at the very worst and she's still only 30 so she's got a long time to keep getting better.

Yeah, she doesn't have the charisma of her old man, but who does?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I unwrap this drumstick, and the end of the cone is broken. But inside the wrapper, I see two broken cone tips.

Is this a good omen?
You have a Drumstick. In and of itself, it is a good thing!

klonere

Banned
Kick out fests work if it MEANS something and the crowd is reacting to it.

Also you can definitely tell a story in a 8 to 10 minute match.

No, they don't mean more if the crowd is into it, the story is the same: I do a move, you do a move. Like, if I had to watch the match on mute for some reason, that's the only thing I would take away from it. "Oh they kept hitting finishers and super finishers until one guy won for no particular reason".

Mahonay

Banned
No, they don't mean more if the crowd is into it, the story is the same: I do a move, you do a move. Like, if I had to watch the match on mute for some reason, that's the only thing I would take away from it. "Oh they kept hitting finishers and super finishers until one guy won for no particular reason".
Disagree. Crowd reaction means everything in wrestling. Good workers read the crowd and adjust the match to go with it.

For me personally, it's a major part of pro wrestling.

klonere

Banned
Charlotte has been doing good work. She got rid of Ric so he's no longer her crutch, she's consistently putting out good matches at the very worst and she's still only 30 so she's got a long time to keep getting better.

Yeah, she doesn't have the charisma of her old man, but who does?

She's been a great foundation for the whole division and does well to get legit heat (boo'd at Takeover!). She definitely deserves a lot of praise. But probably should try not to drop Sasha on her neck.

Top Bottom