• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT 2| All popped everything ft. Injuries too

J3MToop.gif

That Kevin Owen's...

Love him.

Barrage

The difference between Cena/Styles II and other Finisher-Finisher-Finisher matches is that Cena/Styles earned it through the star power of the people involved,and it being a second encounter. Cena/Styles told a simpler,more grunded story (Styles is too fast for Cena; Cena is rusty from his time off) but it was a worse match.

Menome

I hated Myst. Steer clear? Or does it transcend the "stupid nonsensical shit" genre?

Puzzles are a lot more logical in this one, but it still follows the traditional Cyan Studios ethos. I'd say keep an eye on it, maybe watch the first half-hour on a non-narrated playthrough to get a feel for it.

Hasney

There's a Forbes "contributor" story doing the rounds about how WWE haven't ruled out a Bryan return to the ring and may keep on having people shoot on him like The Miz as they know it's a "hot button for the fans".

Friends don't let friends get worked.

Mahonay

Banned
There's a Forbes "contributor" story doing the rounds about how WWE haven't ruled out a Bryan return to the ring and may keep on having people shoot on him like The Miz as they know it's a "hot button for the fans".

Forbes contributors always seem to be the dumbest fucking people.

Forbes..... Fuck them

What bugs me about the "slow it down, dammit" bullshit is that wrestling's been this way for quite some time now - this isn't a flash in a pan thing here and a lot of these guys like Cornette have been saying the same thing for just as long. It's like Lou Thesz lamenting the state of the business in the 70's & 80's, where no one knew how to work (by his standards) and everything was too character & storyline based for his liking. Wrestling didn't stay like that, it moved on, it became something different and so on and so on. Stop crying about what wrestling used to be and hurry up trying to figure out what wrestling's going to be NEXT.

Heroman

Banned
What bugs me about the "slow it down, dammit" bullshit is that wrestling's been this way for quite some time now - this isn't a flash in a pan thing here and a lot of these guys like Cornette have been saying the same thing for just as long. It's like Lou Thesz lamenting the state of the business in the 70's & 80's, where no one knew how to work (by his standards) and everything was too character & storyline based for his liking. Wrestling didn't stay like that, it moved on, it became something different and so on and so on. Stop crying about what wrestling used to be and hurry up trying to figure out what wrestling's going to be NEXT.
People said that flair vs steamboat was a spot fest.

Mahonay

Banned
Cena vs AJ is 100 percent a fast modern wrestling match with a million spots but it was still great.

Being concerned about not enough stories being told in the ring is a legitimate conversation to have. When you're working a spot/move heavy match it makes it a lot harder since you're focusing so hard on not killing yourself or the other guy.

Although I'd say WWE has had bad storytelling for a decade now, and the fast work rate is not the core of their issues. It's Vince not giving a shit about that aspect for most of the roster.

I can definitely see what some of the older guys talk about when they talk about matches moving too fast. Vampiro talked about it on Austin's pod the last time he was on. He mentioned how the big problem with some matches being too fast or too "flippy" is when guys don't sell. It's one move/spot after another. Some guys are so preoccupied with the next big spot and one-upping the last one they don't take the time to sell it properly. To make the audience believe you are hurt. This is when matches end up looking more like choreographed dance routines than fights.

Hasney

Cena vs AJ is 100 percent a fast modern wrestling match with a million spots but it was still great.

Being concerned about not enough stories being told in the ring is a legitimate conversation to have. When you're working a spot/move heavy match it makes it a lot harder since you're focusing so hard on not killing yourself or the other guy.

Although I'd say WWE has had bad storytelling for a decade now, and the fast work rate is not the core of their issues. It's Vince not giving a shit about that aspect for most of the roster.

Yup. I think the two Johnny Wrestling matches in the CWC do the best job of it. Fast paced, spot heavy action, but both matches have a simple story going throughout it.

Also want to totally praise NXT booking for not doing the Ciampa heel turn on him. There's been 3 glaring opportunities and the fact they telegraphed it and didn't pull the trigger will have me guessing about them and others down the lone thinking "Will he turn heel?" Rather than "Oh, so this is where they then heel"

Mahonay

Banned
No Way Jose vs Austin Aries was not a technical master piece, but I was way more into that than most of the SummerSlam card.

Get me invested.

Speaking of TakeOver, I really need to watch The Revival vs Ciampa and Gargano again. That shit was fucking nuts. The crowd was losing their minds. The execution in ring by both teams was beautiful. That really slow first half played so much into everyone going nuts at the end when they turned everything up to 10.
Yup. I think the two Johnny Wrestling matches in the CWC do the best job of it. Fast paced, spot heavy action, but both matches have a simple story going throughout it.

Also want to totally praise NXT booking for not doing the Ciampa heel turn on him. There's been 3 glaring opportunities and the fact they telegraphed it and didn't pull the trigger will have me guessing about them and others down the lone thinking "Will he turn heel?" Rather than "Oh, so this is where they then heel"
It's been one of the better things this year. It's really opened my eyes to Gargano. He's amazing. And the team of Gargano and Ciampa is super compelling.
I can definitely see what some of the older guys talk about when they talk about matches moving too fast. Vampiro talked about it on Austin's pod the last time he was on. He mentioned how the big problem with some matches being too fast or too "flippy" is when guys don't sell. It's one move/spot after another. Some guys are so preoccupied with the next big spot and one-upping the last one they don't take the time to sell it properly. To make the audience believe you are hurt. This is when matches end up looking more like choreographed dance routines than fights.
Sami is so fucking good at this aspect, you really think he's hurt in a lot of matches. Not enough guys do this.

Barrage

Selling is where Owens seperates himself from the rest of the roster. He's excellent at it. Not only in the match, but also selling damage the next night on RAW.

Owens rolling out of the ring at 9 to avoid being counted out (VS I think Ambrose?) is one of my favourite things from this year.

Mahonay

Banned
Selling is where Owens seperates himself from the rest of the roster. He's excellent at it. Not only in the match, but also selling damage the next night on RAW.

Owens rolling out of the ring at 9 to avoid being counted out (VS I think Ambrose?) is one of my favourite things from this year.
Yep. Owens and Sami share this. Sami is more believable to me though when he's taking damage. But he's also the underdog babyface and that's his job.

Anth0ny

I don't know what you're talking about.

giphy.03uuj9.gif

THIS IS WRESTLING CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP

Michael Cole interviews D. Bry today.

You should see what he says about Miz! omg!
nothing!

that's what happens when someone shoots

gotta just ignore it going forward

I don't know what you're talking about.

giphy.03uuj9.gif

THIS IS WRESTLING CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP
I don't get why these guys don't just become actual stuntmen. They'd get paid more and have better health benefits. Instead they're doing flippy-dippys in front of a crowd for a hot dog and a large bag of popcorn. Sad!

I usually pick a handful of matches too. What are the ones to watch from this year?

I specifically wanted to get familiar with Naito and Omega so I was mostly watching their individual matches which were part of Block B. For me it was most interesting to watch Omega go up against Toru Yano and completely play into Yano's style, but then go out and put on quite possibly the MOTY against Goto in the finals. Two completely different wrestling personalites, but Omega adapted to both so well.

I don't get why these guys don't just become actual stuntmen. They'd get paid more and have better health benefits. Instead they're doing flippy-dippys in front of a crowd for a hot dog and a large bag of popcorn. Sad!

Main eventing for one of the biggest promotions in the world is so sad

crying-money-woody-harrelson-zombieland.gif

Also not every match is super flippy, Jesus

Top Bottom