• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

Ultratech

I like her hair.

Mesmerizing, isn't it?

I'm here to Batista Bomb this Thursday workday.

dyIcu.gif

If it makes the day end faster, I'm all for it.

G-Fex

That reminds me.

I'm going to be continuing Here Comes the Pain in a little while, I shall have Batista beat Nash for the Hardcore title.

strobogo

Banned
Well, then I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. I've never heard anyone else say anything like Kerry was the best of his generation. Even in docs and LOW stuff, all the old vets always talk about his look, but never say he was a good hand or good worker. Which is the standard line when they want to say a guy wasn't that good without using a mean spirited burial. I'm sure the foot injury had a lot to do with it and I'm sure he was better before it. But, for me, he wasn't very good before the injury anyway.

He was capable of being dragged along by much better guys. And he was afforded the opportunities to work with some of the best of all time. And yet, none of it rubbed off onto him. I'd say he was about at the same level or slightly lower than post Power and Glory Paul Roma. Because The Power AND The Glory was awesome. And doesn't even touch pre-WWF Lex Lugar in terms of the meat head Adonis type. Lex was really, really good before he went to the WWF. He never got near that level of quality work again after that. But his first NWA/WCW run was pretty god damn good for a guy who is known for being a big stiff his whole career.

Also, Kenny Omega looks grotesque. Where does he find so much time for the gym between all the video games, anime, and cosplay conventions?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, then I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. I've never heard anyone else say anything like Kerry was the best of his generation. Even in docs and LOW stuff, all the old vets always talk about his look, but never say he was a good hand or good worker. Which is the standard line when they want to say a guy wasn't that good without using a mean spirited burial. I'm sure the foot injury had a lot to do with it and I'm sure he was better before it. But, for me, he wasn't very good before the injury anyway.

He was capable of being dragged along by much better guys. And he was afforded the opportunities to work with some of the best of all time. And yet, none of it rubbed off onto him. I'd say he was about at the same level or slightly lower than post Power and Glory Paul Roma. Because The Power AND The Glory was awesome. And doesn't even touch pre-WWF Lex Lugar in terms of the meat head Adonis type. Lex was really, really good before he went to the WWF. He never got near that level of quality work again after that. But his first NWA/WCW run was pretty god damn good for a guy who is known for being a big stiff his whole career.

Also, Kenny Omega looks grotesque. Where does he find so much time for the gym between all the video games, anime, and cosplay conventions?

I'd like to see you post more. :3

I was under the impression that he trains with his hobbies.
Like carting around a big crate of DVDs for weight lifting; talking shit about a popular show at a convention and then running from the ensuing mob; using new spot-fu techniques on the local populace, River City Ransom-style; and so on and so forth.

That's cool, if I'm overstating Kerry's importance then it's only as someone not all that knowledgeable with that era of wrestling, puroresu and indy wrestling are more my forte and the only territories I've really seen much of are Mid-South & Memphis. I've just always seen Kerry as a guy who had all the tools, but was held back by unfortunate circumstance and his personal demons.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's cool, if I'm overstating Kerry's importance then it's only as someone not all that knowledgeable with that era of wrestling, puroresu and indy wrestling are more my forte and the only territories I've really seen much of are Mid-South & Memphis. I've just always seen Kerry as a guy who had all the tools, but was held back by unfortunate circumstance and his personal demons.

Oh man, Bootaaay. I love me some Memphis and Mid-South. We should go on a journey into the depths of it all. The crowds were SO incredibly HOT. Holy christ. I'll start getting some stuff together if you have any interest.

On a related note I want to take Wrassle-GAF to the next level community-wise. Weekly things...things like that. Participation. Fun. Everything. Just thinkin' about stuff...

Best all-around wrestler of his generation? Kerry wasn't even the best in his family.

A list of guys who debuted around the same time as KVE who were way better than KVE:

Curt Hennig, The Barbarian, Matt Borne, Barry Windham, Mike Rotunda, Brad Armstrong, Arn Anderson, Rick Rude, William Regal, Buddy Landell, Terry Taylor, Eddie Gilbert, Dean Malekno, The British Bulldog, Butch Reed, Dave Taylor, Terry Gordy, Meng, Dr. Death. If you really want to push it since they all kind of hit it "big" around the same time, Taker, HBK, and Scott Hall all debuted with in a few years of KVE. Taker and HBK were stars at the same time KVE had his run in the WWF.

I find it sort of curious that the name Hart doesn't appear on this list...

jmdajr

Oh man, Bootaaay. I love me some Memphis and Mid-South. We should go on a journey into the depths of it all. The crowds were SO incredibly HOT. Holy christ. I'll start getting some stuff together if you have any interest.

On a related note I want to take Wrassle-GAF to the next level community-wise. Weekly things...things like that. Participation. Fun. Everything. Just thinkin' about stuff...

511v4bd7IXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Probably the most depressing WWE documentary I ever seen..:\

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
511v4bd7IXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Probably the most depressing WWE documentary I ever seen..:\

Also: it is on Netflix! That won't help the Boot-Man much but if anyone else wants a little...go get a little!

Definitely, I love watching stuff from that era - I'm working my way through 1985 Mid-South at the moment, and it's ridiculous how crazy the crowds got for almost everything. Really enjoying seeing guys like Kamala closer to their prime, and great wrestling from the likes of Ted DiBiase, Jim Duggan, Terry Taylor, Dr. Death, Butch Reed, Buddy Landel & the Guerreros. Fun stuff.

I've sort of been feeling the same thing Sunflower, I think I'm going to start doing a daily arbitrary "Fave Five" list of something other than current wrestlers. I already know what the next one is going to be

Go on...

(tout.com/WrassleGAF)?

A shared WrassleGAF tout could be all kinds of awesome if we just gave access to everyone who regulars this thread.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the Wrasslegaf Expanded Universe, or whatever we'll call it...

WWE 13 is coming so we'll have STREAMING for our fun.

GAF Observer is at least a weekly thing.

I'd love to pick a PPV or Wrestling Event from the past each month to showcase in the OP that is available on youtube or other services and discuss throughout the month. Same with a Wrestler of the Month. I'd love to integrate a Fave Five Vote mechanic as well (not like polls, we'd need to go outside of here to do it, but it can be done.)

I'd love to just be able to connect and watch more wrestling with you guys and discuss it intelligently (and not so intelligently...there's plenty of room for hijinks) - wrestling that goes beyond current shows in syndication.

What do the rest of you think? Am I just oversteppin' or is this something almost all of you would be into?

G-Fex

Regarding the Wrasslegaf Expanded Universe, or whatever we'll call it...

WWE 13 is coming so we'll have STREAMING for our fun.

GAF Observer is at least a weekly thing.

I'd love to pick a PPV or Wrestling Event from the past each month to showcase in the OP that is available on youtube or other services and discuss throughout the month. Same with a Wrestler of the Month. I'd love to integrate a Fave Five Vote mechanic as well (not like polls, we'd need to go outside of here to do it, but it can be done.)

I'd love to just be able to connect and watch more wrestling with you guys and discuss it intelligently (and not so intelligently...there's plenty of room for hijinks) - wrestling that goes beyond current shows in syndication.

What do the rest of you think? Am I just oversteppin' or is this something almost all of you would be into?

Well yeah .

I can't do the podcast thing again cause I didn't like how I did the first one and due to my new work schedule I won't be able to watch TNA or Smackdown.

Come Skype with me this monday night Sunflower. We'll talk wrestling while I stream universe mode on WWE 12

Chopper

Finally caught up on a couple of weeks' worth of Raw. The Olympics is too distracting for 6 fucking hours of Raw.

So, Punk and Bryan were pretty awesome this week. Summerslam is looking like shit though. :(

Is that guy still writing "peace" at the end of all his posts?

Aiii

So not worth it
Very good podcast, but that kid ruined alot of it. Also some parts where the people being interviewed are very hard to understand. Other then that I loved it, esp. the cover of HBK's theme, that was awesome.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well yeah .

I can't do the podcast thing again cause I didn't like how I did the first one and due to my new work schedule I won't be able to watch TNA or Smackdown.

Come Skype with me this monday night Sunflower. We'll talk wrestling while I stream universe mode on WWE 12

Booked up on Monday, sadly. But you figure heavily in the plans for the WrassleGAF Expanded Universe.

I want more wrestlegaf axxess

Oh, you'll get it.

Sunflower is truly an innovator of this forum community.

Who betta than Sunflower?

Nah I'm stickin with Batister.

Anyway, so, a lot of this will be important for the OP level for September. That's what I'll target most of the new stuff for - with the help of whoever does the OP, we'll have more reason than ever to check out the OP. I also want to do kind of like what GAF-Hop does, with a set of questions for new Wrasslegaffers to answer that'll help introduce them to the rest of us and make us an even more welcoming entity for new people.

I want more people, more fun, and more for us all to do and discuss together! I got some irons in the fire...hope you guys will enjoy it as I get more of it worked out and set up on paper.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, we'll do some community interaction. Then someone will snitch and get one of us banned.

Unlike other particular subsets of GAF, we don't enjoy pedophilia, so we'll be fine. We're not gross. The closest we get is AJ, and she's not my cup o' tea.

Line-up for the Pro-Wrestling NOAH 2012 NTV Cup: Jr Heavyweight Tag League;

• Super Crazy & Ricky Marvin - reigning champions
  • Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki
  • Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Genba Hirayanagi
  • Taiji Ishimori & Atsushi Kotoge
  • Ikuto Hidaka & Daichi Hashimoto
  • Shiori Asahi & Hiro Tonai
  • Katsuhiko Nakajima & Satoshi Kajiwara
  • Eddie Edwards & Bobby Fish
  • Paul London & Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Kaiser & Gaston Mateo

Some interesting teams there, should be good - hoping Taiji & Kotoge do well. Paul London & Zack Sabre is a very odd pairing! Also, I haven't heard of them, but Kaiser & Gaston Mateo are a Mexican duo from lucha promotions LWA & XNL, respectively.

Some great ideas there man, I'd definitely be up for watching and discussing some classic wrestling with you guys, while something like an official WrassleGAF Fave Five should be easy enough to organise each month. On other forums I've seen people do stuff like a match of the day, whereby those participating take turns to post a favourite match which everyone then discusses and rates.

pants said:
Where/how can one watch that Omega match when it happens?

The show will air in Japan on the 18th, but it could be anything between a week or two or a couple of months before we get to see it. Hopefully IVPvideos.com or RudoReels will have it sooner rather than later.

pants

The show will air in Japan on the 18th, but it could be anything between a week or two or a couple of months before we get to see it. Hopefully IVPvideos.com or RudoReels will have it sooner rather than later.
Noooooooooooooooo :(
I need Omega in my life :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Some great ideas there man, I'd definitely be up for watching and discussing some classic wrestling with you guys, while something like an official WrassleGAF Fave Five should be easy enough to organise each month. On other forums I've seen people do stuff like a match of the day, whereby those participating take turns to post a favourite match which everyone then discusses and rates.

It'll be very easy to have a Fave Five Google Form URL that'll let you write in and it'll tally for us, just making it each month and unleashing it before the next month's OP will be the goal. So then, you'll get WRASSLER OF THE MONTH! Good times ahead on that, I just need to implement it closer to the end of the month. I don't want to get buried.

Regarding the taking turns posting matches, I think we're too high activity to use that in here, effectively - but with a few tweaks, we may be able to get something close to that that'll still fit GAF's mold and post frequency.

I need to stop getting excited about these ideas, I get bananas and then burn out after a few months. I need to pace myself.

When Soulplaya leaves, people talk about wrestling rather than argue about waifus/husbandos :3

SoulPlaya will be happy when he comes back and sees all of our new toys!

Top Bottom