• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

trunbuns

GUYS
http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/xzudq/should_the_wwe_have_an_offseason/

Let's have this discussion here.

Question: Do you think wrestling should be done in seasons like every other TV show or sports?

While I think it'd be a good idea... I like the suggestion someone made that each wrestler can get 2 months off and have it rotate around.

Examples:
John Cena could take off after Survivor Series and come back at Royal Rumble.
Ziggler could be off after the Royal Rumble and come back at Wrestlemania or mid-march.

The advantage to that first and foremost is that it keeps things fresh. Cena won't be around the entire year and WWE will have to focus its spotlight on another star so they can help build the franchise around another star.

Secondly, it gives them time to rest! The WWE obviously has a very brutal traveling schedule. This gives them time to relax and recover. They can also use that time to train or get into better shape or something. This would increase the overall longevity of a wrestler's career and probably their overall satisfaction.

I was posting in that thread earlier. I definitely think the top guys should be doing it to keep them fresh and make their appearances seem more important.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
GUYS
http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/xzudq/should_the_wwe_have_an_offseason/

Let's have this discussion here.

Question: Do you think wrestling should be done in seasons like every other TV show or sports?

While I think it'd be a good idea... I like the suggestion someone made that each wrestler can get 2 months off and have it rotate around.

Examples:
John Cena could take off after Survivor Series and come back at Royal Rumble.
Ziggler could be off after the Royal Rumble and come back at Wrestlemania or mid-march.

The advantage to that first and foremost is that it keeps things fresh. Cena won't be around the entire year and WWE will have to focus its spotlight on another star so they can help build the franchise around another star.

Secondly, it gives them time to rest! The WWE obviously has a very brutal traveling schedule. This gives them time to relax and recover. They can also use that time to train or get into better shape or something. This would increase the overall longevity of a wrestler's career and probably their overall satisfaction.

Missed this the first time around. I 100% agree with it - and I'd love to see it season-based. Only problem is a setup like this would murder WWE's merchandising and "stats" about being longest-running, etc.

It'd be the best thing ever for the talent though. The best. But Vince is a fuckass.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think they need an off-season per se. Although they have too many hours now to do what I would've preffered and that is a rotation where each superstar has at least 2 months a year off from television and live tours. Though not all at once.

Now with 5 hours regular program, 1 PPV a month, 1 hour Main Event, 1 hour Superstars, 1 hour NXT and half an hour Kids Show it seems damn near impossible.

Kaladin

I guess so. I just wish there was something to turn that around.

It would take a major defect for something to turn it around. I'm talking about someone on the level of Orton or Cena. CM Punk wouldn't work because they already had Jeff Hardy go over and he had no major effect on the ratings. CM Punk is basically Jeff Hardy 2.0 for WWE.

It would take a major defect for something to turn it around. I'm talking about someone on the level of Orton or Cena. CM Punk wouldn't work because they already had Jeff Hardy go over and he had no major effect on the ratings. CM Punk is basically Jeff Hardy 2.0 for WWE.
So I should start campaigning for Orton to join Impact.

You guys need to leave Justin Credible alone. One of the best wrestlers in ECW and in all of wrestling.

justin1.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Your love of AJ blinds you. Meanwhile, my love of decent wrestling on TV shows me the truth.

They both have their flaws and strengths.

And I've already gone on record that AJ as GM is a bad thing. So lets hope that's temporary.

That said, it's still better then having Brooke Hogan as head of Knockouts.

Plus, the Claire Lynch angle is the worst thing on TV right now. Bar none.

Kaladin

Jeff Hardy is trash! You shouldn't compare that addict with CM Punk

CM Punk is over with the same crowd Jeff Hardy was over with. He basically took over that segment of viewers when Hardy left. If you don't believe me, look at CM Punk fans in a live WWE audience.

wow, Cesaro actually had something resembling a decent length match on smackdown, I hope this thing with Christian actually leads to more matches.

Sokantish

CM Punk is over with the same crowd Jeff Hardy was over with. He basically took over that segment of viewers when Hardy left. If you don't believe me, look at CM Punk fans in a live WWE audience.

djsandman, I am not the same as G-Fex. That really hurts me...

I can't really compare CM Punk's fans to Jeff Hardy's. I stopped watching wrestling a little bit after the time the Hardy Boys showed up. Is that a coincidence? I don't know...

McNei1y

I made a 5 favorite list of all time a few pages back and I just realized I omitted one of my favorites: Kurt Angle. I'm a failure.

Kaladin

djsandman, I am not the same as G-Fex. That really hurts me...

I can't really compare CM Punk's fans to Jeff Hardy's. I stopped watching wrestling a little bit after the time the Hardy Boys showed up. Is that a coincidence? I don't know...

You know it's true. The only difference is that Punk is more over with the IWC than Hardy ever was.

They both have their flaws and strengths.

And I've already gone on record that AJ as GM is a bad thing. So lets hope that's temporary.

That said, it's still better then having Brooke Hogan as head of Knockouts.

Plus, the Claire Lynch angle is the worst thing on TV right now. Bar none.

The Claire stuff is bad, I won't deny that. But AJ as GM is worse. It's something nobody asked for and nobody wanted all because people like AJ. It adds nothing to either D.Brine or Punk's stories besides "THE GM IS MEAN," which could be accomplished by nearly any other person on the planet. The one defining thing AJ had going for her - the insanity angle - is now gone.

The Clair bullshit at least leads to matches and (intentional or not) comedy. I got no defense of Hogan's daughter being on the show, though. Dat nepotism.

Did you deliberately choose an image hosted by Angelfire for comedic effect or was that just a hilarious coincidence?

A bit of both!

In all seriousness, I was and still am a huge Credible mark. Whenever I played EWR and started an indy fed, he would always be my champion. When I get home from work, I will post up several of my favorite Credible matches.

Aiii

So not worth it
The Claire stuff is bad, I won't deny that. But AJ as GM is worse. It's something nobody asked for and nobody wanted all because people like AJ. It adds nothing to either D.Brine or Punk's stories besides "THE GM IS MEAN," which could be accomplished by nearly any other person on the planet. The one defining thing AJ had going for her - the insanity angle - is now gone.

Actually, it's not really. Though it was never insanity, more like calculated madness.

Watch Smackdown tonight.

I don't understand the end of Smackdown.
Why wouldn't Del Rio try to win the belt? Am I missing something?

I was just pondering the same thing, maybe he expects the beat down effects to last until Summerslam.
Though the main event booking in itself was kind of baffling.

Enfinit

MAN, is it me or does he look like he's about to gobble some sausage?

To add, if the Primetime Playas (hashtag mulliuns uf dollas) are going manager-less since A.W. pooped his pants, I'm predicting Vickie's gonna pick them up and Dolphy will drop her and fly solo.

WWE Managers are a dying breed. Only a matter of time before Vickie bites the dust. I'm anticipating the day with great excitement. Saggy-tit'd bitch.

Top Bottom