• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

bangai-o

Banned
I'm just thinking about how smackdown and impact are on my DVR and I can't watch either of them
my electric was going black outs too. when i turned on the dvr i got to see the full Sin Cara match, AJs music hit and I was all "whats AJ doing here?" then before she could talk I saw Jinder Mahal beating up two guys and then suddenly I saw the border patrol coming in and Del Rio was yelling at them saying he signed the papers or something. i wont even check youtube tomarrow. im content with what i saw. still better tha Raw.

Chopper

AW said:
VINCE MCMAHON CAN SAY THE N WORD ON NATIONAL T.V. BUT @AWPromotions CAN'T TELL A JOKE.............whats wrong with this picture???

McMahon is a hypocrite! It's cool for him to mock JR's Bells Palsy, & you aren't cut any slack for one joke? #BeAStarVince.

I hope Vince hasn't forgot How he mocked @JRsBBQ on #RAW live, and @AWPromotions gets released for one joke?

@if only you had strangled someone with your tie, you'd be back within 6 months lol.

so Dx can tell everyone to suck it but u can't make a joke?

@CMPunk told one of his twitter followers to kill themselves. biggest double standard in the world.

@kane has sex with a dead girl but @AWPromotions makes a kobe joke and gets fired.

Vince can kick the leg out from under a one legged kid, wrestle women, mock The mentally retarded and he fired you!!!

@Didn't Big Show make a Kobe Bryant reference in a battle rap with Cena in 2003 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V6gr8CB-Eg ... but AW gets let go?
Read more at http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/n...ngton-Released-by-WWE.htm#HeV2OD7d8vrjfQBS.99

Is he trying to burn bridges?!

FyreWulff

Abraham Washington seemed like one of those guys that would never be fired because he just showed up. So I imagine he probably feels like he got thrown under the bus because of Linda's hardon for trying to get elected.

Aiii

So not worth it
304618_3712712862026_1395063418_n.jpg

Oh my.

JustinBB7

Man I keep being surprised at how well Daniel Bryan became. He went from one of the best wrestlers in the world with horrible promos in ROH to being the complete opposite in the WWE. He now wrestles boring WWE style but has amazing promos. Every time his music hits I just have to laugh at the silly music and him coming out with this gimmick.

One of the best on the roster for sure.

Striker

Is he trying to burn bridges?!
He's absolutely spot on, though. Should have made note on the Michael Cole Twitter post where he called Josh Matthews something not very nice, but it's okay, Michael says it was just taken out of context. No harm!

WWE is full of themselves, and doesn't care what happens. It's about making Linda and the company look good, nothing else.

WWE's hypocritical nonsense and lack of quality wrestling getting you down? There's always an alternative...

Tonight Ring of Honor presents Boiling Point 2012 - live from Providence, RI and worldwide via iPPV at 7:30PM EST;

imxW72Lxo9ZV1.jpg

http://www.rohwrestling.com/ippv - $14.95

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH;
Kevin Steen (c) vs CHIKARA Grand Champion Eddie Kingston

TAG TEAM WAR;
The Briscoe Brothers vs 'Zombie Princess' Jimmy Jacobs & Steve Corino

MIXED TAG GRUDGE MATCH;
'Die Hard' Eddie Edwards & 'Queen of Wrestling' Sara Del Rey vs 'The Prodigy' Mike Bennett & 'The First Lady of ROH' Maria Kanellis

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR IX REMATCH;
'Unbreakable' Michael Elgin vs 'Outlaw' Charlie Haas

2 OUT OF 3 FALLS GRUDGE MATCH;
Jay Lethal vs 'The Sicilian Psychopath' Tomasso Ciampa

SPECIAL CHALLENGE MATCH;
Roderick Strong w/ Truth Martini vs 'No Fear' Mike Mondo

PROVING GROUND MATCH;
ROH World TV Champion, Adam Cole vs 'Brutal' Bob Evans

4 WAY MATCH - WINNER EARNS FUTURE ROH BOOKINGS;
Matt Taven vs. QT Marshall vs. Antonio Thomas vs. Vinny Marseglia

You've got two matches at the top of the card that promise to be awesome, Steen vs Kingston should prove to be an all-out war, a mixed tag match which could be good fun, a very solid match in Lethal vs Ciampa 2/3 falls which may potentially steal the show, and while Elgin vs Haas & Strong vs Mondo aren't the most exciting matches on paper, there's no reason they can't be great given the participants. Should be a good show overall.

I agree with him, but i think the tone he is expressing himself in, isn't helping his situation.

When I heard the joke, I thought it was inappropriate and in poor taste. The WWE seem to be giving him multiple chances with that live mic gimmick. It just wasn't working out. Honestly, what else was he going to bring to the product. He's not a diva that can look good, nor is he one of their superstars that performs in the ring.

Having said that, he's spot on. Wrestlers desecrating national flags. Wrestlers booking angles during the national anthem. Bullying JR. Michael Cole/Josh Matthews.

It's a catch-22, we need the McMahons but don't want the McMahons.

I'll admit. I don't really have time to watch Chikara or ROH, but both orgs' champs are over weight guys whose attire is mediocre street clothes? They make me want to hit the gym and get a shot in the ass from Uncle Vince. Part of wrestling is being bigger than life.

And Maria is such a cutie. Why'd she leave the WWE? Couldn't she go to TNA? That promo wasn't anything special though. She's no Ronda R. From Strike Force when it comes to women promos.

Re: Daniel Bryan. I think he's great. His move set may have been neutered, but he still manages to get great matches out of everyone he faces. I mean before tonight and the Brock match, what was the last good John Cena match?

His promo work has improved leaps and bounds compared to his NXT and vegan nerd days. Despite being on the small side and an Internet darling. He's managed to hover high mid card to main event.

hertog

Lol WWE has become a kid friendly sit-com that always returns to their status quo.

I love TNA right now. Heels like Bully Ray sometimes even *gasp* win pretty clean!
And they treat the championship and other matches like they're actually relevant.
It feels like TNA are the Nolan Batman movies right now and the WWE are Bay's Transformers.

I'll admit. I don't really have time to watch Chikara or ROH, but both orgs' champs are over weight guys whose attire is street clothes? They make me want to hit the gym and get a shot in the ass from Uncle Vince.

Yeah, it's a bit of an anomaly really, as ROH champions are usually of a more athletic build, but Steen is so incredibly over with the fans (and a great wrestler and personality too) and while Kingston is the 1st CHIKARA Grand Champion, he isn't at all representative of the roster. He's pretty much the only heavyweight in CHIKARA at present, but it's his hard-hitting style, excellent in-ring storytelling and psychology and wonderful promos that has led to him being rewarded with the Grand Championship. Regardless of their weights, or the fact that neither would have a chance in hell at world title gold in the major companies, both guys are great wrestlers and should put on a hell of a main event.

Is there a market clamoring for more WWE product like in 98/99 when they expanded to Smackdown? I'm not savvy on the tv rights thing, but they must get a lot of revenue from it.

From the outside looking in, I'm confused by three-hour Raws in the long term, NXT, Superstars, Smackdown, the new show, WWE films and the network. It's like Vince is trying to make the company into a giant media conglomerate, but it's just at the wrong time with video games, social media, UFC, Pro Sports, etc as competition.

hertog

Hertog is right.

Why is WWE making any other show?

They already have a kids show!

It comes out on Monday nights.

Can't even say ASS.

Cena: I'm gonna kick your mustard fudging behind! *smirk*
Sheamus:"Ow golly fella, have I told ya the story of my Uncle Fargus?

Is there a market clamping for more WWE product like in 98 when they expanded to Smackdown? I'm not savvy on the tv rights thing, bit they must get a lot of revenue from it.

From the outside looking in, I'm confused by three-hour Raws in the long term, NXT, Superstars, Smackdown, the new show, WWE films and the network. It's like Vince is trying to make the company into a giant media conglomerate, but it's just at the wrong time with video games, social media, UFC, Pro Sports, etc as competition.

It's like the WWE is on an island. It used to be a fun place to hang out while the mainland (being the rest of TV) was kind of boring for the most part. But over the last 10 years, the mainland has improved drastically as the WWE, on its island, is cut off from the rest of the world and hasn't evolved. On the contrary, its constantly looking BACK to its golden years to relive the greatness while the the rest of television creates NEW content that's arguably more consistently high quality than big budget movies. On top of that, the WWE is now attempting to become a huge franchise brand dipping its toe into every possible pool to test the waters while the main island is in desperate need of repairs. Instead of repairs they just patch it up a few times a year and keep pointing investors to that one day when all the old fans come back with a nostalgic sparkle in their eye. Meanwhile, those fans don't stick around, the island mascot has become a tired, inconsistent, milked, cliche storyline device, people are kicked off the island anytime they spike the punch, and the parties are more like gatherings for advertisers.

I think a company in a similar spot is Marvel or DC. Regardless of their core product (which will never reach the heights of the early 90s), they've managed to expand into video games, tv, movies, theme parks, etc. But they're products are based on fictional characters that most are familiar with.

WWE films make no money in theaters, can't speak on DVD sales. The quality is laughable. Whereas Avengers made a billion dollars, probably more than all of the WWE films combined.

I think the problem is operationally and business wise (two different things) TNA and WWE are poorly ran companies that are lucky to have a die-hard fan base (TNA can throw shit on the screen, which they did during Russo's stint) and still manage to get a million viewers. Raw will continue to get 3 or 4+ million viewers.

As businesses, they're still run carny like. Dixie has no business running TNA. Vince seems to be running the company down a road it doesn't need to.

Vince wears both hats in WWE, whereas there should be a separation of duties. Dixie should get someone else to run TNA. I can't understand how a company has no desire to improve or build its pay per view business/model.

strobogo

Banned
I'm sure if AW kept quiet, he'd be back in a few months with no problems. He's not a name in the least, so it isn't like WWE is going to have any need to take him back after having out bursts personally attacking the owner and his wife. It seems to me that he's done with wrestling and doesn't care, but it never hurts to keep his contacts in an entertainment industry if he is going to stick with entertainment.

I'm thinking about going to Survivor Series. I haven't been to a show in about 10 years. Conseco is always a good place to see just about anything, though, from any seat. Depending on what I'm doing for a job around then, I might get the cheapest tickets and go. I don't know. I'm not very passionate about anything going on in wrestling right now. Nor have I been for quite a while. The last show I went to was in the build up to Rock/Hogan II. I just wanted to get a chance to see Hulk since he was pretty much the only guy I never got to see. I saw all the 1996 WCW crew minus Hogan since it was a house show, and all of the C and D teams at a Thunder taping in late 1998.

Went to one of the marathon Raw tappings with 3 episodes of Raw, Superstars, and Shotgun Saturday Night. So I got to see everyone that was big in 1997. A couple of house shows in 2000ish and a Smackdown right before HHH's quad injury in 2001. So Hulk was really the only star I never got to see. And I haven't been since despite many a chance. I just hate going around sitting with other wrestling fans.

Entropia

No One Remembers
http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/10/wwo-abraham-washington-kobe-bryant-rape-joke-fired/

WWE star Abraham Washington has just been FIRED after making a Kobe Bryant rape joke on live television last week -- and he's PISSED ... claiming the WWE has "turned its back" on him.

As we previously reported, the WWE issued an apology for its July 30 live broadcast of "Monday Night Raw" -- during which Washington took the mic and said a wrestler named Titus O'Neil was "like Kobe Bryant at a hotel in Colorado ... he's unstoppable."

Now, according to Washington, the WWE has taken further action after the joke, terminating his contract entirely.

Obviously, Washington is NOT happy -- taking to his Twitter moments ago with a barrage of angry messages ... like, "It was the #WWE that made me bold and now it has turned it's back on me."

"Just be normal shut up and be a yes man so you can collect your check and feel like your special. #SELLOUTS!!"

"I remember a time when the WWE didn't care about breaking the mold but now everyone is so afraid of their own shadow. #RemeberTheFans"

"Thank you WWE for creating me and then killing me because I only portrayed what I grew up watching... The #WWE!!"

A rep for the WWE tells TMZ...."Unfortunately, Brian Jossie, playing the character of A.W. was terminated because he continued to exhibit poor judgment by making offensive and inappropriate comments on live television and on social media."

lol

Watching NXT.

Put Chris Hero on Raw.

I think he really needs to work on his current character and build before they do that. His in-ring work still seems to be solid but his look and mic-work aren't close to what they used to be. Though to be honest it will be interesting to see how anybody gets moved up from NXT given it's not even shown in the US.

Top Bottom