• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

Sokantish

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Is he really on RAW now? I liked that he was on both every week. He's on Smackdown right now, that's all that matters to me!

How can she lose to Eve right? This means she's got that assistant to Brooker T job in the bag! I'm so happy. So...so happy
Well, if they're building it like this, I'm sure it'll lead to Kaitlyn winning.

A little over an hour left until the longest running episodic television show, gents!

bangai-o

Banned
Highlights of Hardcore Justice in Pictures:

319301_10151049043151026_1234854687_n.jpg

how is that a highlight!

thuway

They need to make Brock win. It'll give him credibility, and later on, have someone like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, or even Ziggler defeat him down the road (3-5 years later)- to help give them credibility.

The younger, less developed talent are in this state of limbo by losing/cheating/ or just made out to be plain bafoons in the ring. Punk was going on strong, but they keep insisting in his matches with Cena that the only way he'll win is by playing dirty. That's not confidence.

Kyoufu

They need to make Brock win. It'll give him credibility, and later on, have someone like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, or even Ziggler defeat him down the road (3-5 years later)- to help give them credibility.

The younger, less developed talent are in this state of limbo by losing/cheating/ or just made out to be plain bafoons in the ring. Punk was going on strong, but they keep insisting in his matches with Cena that the only way he'll win is by playing dirty. That's not confidence.

Brock won't be around in 3-5 years.

Neither will Punk.

XenoRaven

But then how will Cena overcome the odds?

Brock won't be around in 3-5 years.

Neither will Punk.

What makes you think Punk won't be? He's been doing exceptionally well, and he's been giving opportunities that I'm sure he could only dream of 5 years ago. I'm mystified by people who think that, because Cena is still the biggest star, that everyone else will walk away from great money--and, in Punk's case, a lot of pushes--for no apparent reason. Punk's not in it for the money; He loves the business. If anything, he may be like Jericho and take time off when he needs a break. But he's still going to be around in 5 years, even if it is just intermittently.

What makes you think Punk won't be? He's been doing exceptionally well, and he's been giving opportunities that I'm sure he could only dream of 5 years ago. I'm mystified by people who think that, because Cena is still the biggest star, that everyone else will walk away from great money--and, in Punk's case, a lot of pushes--for no apparent reason. Punk's not in it for the money; He loves the business. If anything, he may be like Jericho and take time off when he needs a break. But he's still going to be around in 5 years, even if it is just intermittently.
He said in a Q&A yesterday he's retiring soon. He didn't want to give anyone a time estimate because it would be "depressing as hell." It's not conjecture.

He could also just be working everyone for fun. But he's drug free and has been around for decades having a lot of tough matches. He doesn't have the same endurance as everyone else.

Kaladin

Punk just said in an interview that he will very likely retire from the ring early, similar to Edge.....maybe even sooner.

But then how will Cena overcome the odds?

This is what bothers me the most about the way Cena is booked. He wins so often that he is the odds. It makes for a boring-as-fuck character and storylines. Remember when 1-2-3 Kid beat Razor Ramone and the huge ovation he got for it? Or, even better, when Jericho beat Triple H for the WWF title in 2000 (before they foolishly stripped him)? http://youtu.be/_Bq0K1zb7cE

Those were real underdogs, and they got the ovation to prove it.

He said in a Q&A yesterday he's retiring soon. He didn't want to give anyone a time estimate because it would be "depressing as hell." It's not conjecture.

He could also just be working everyone for fun. But he's drug free and has been around for decades having a lot of tough matches. He doesn't have the same endurance as everyone else.

Ah, I see. I don't keep up with the dirt sheets--I'd rather keep everything a surprise--but that still seems weird for someone like Punk. Link I said, maybe he'll just transition to a limited schedule ala Jericho or Sting.

Ithil

I would imagine soon for him is by his late 30's, much earlier than most big name wrestlers. So 4-5 years time.

The wear and tear is getting to him. There have been certain wrestlers retire early because of the punishment. He'll prob end up in TNA at the end of his career

Knox

The wear and tear is getting to him. There have been certain wrestlers retire early because of the punishment. He'll prob end up in TNA at the end of his career

I thought Punk hated TNA. I've also heard in interviews that he's "set for life" financially, so I don't see him needing to come back for the money.

Ithil

He's really not had much wear and tear. He's only had surgery once in his career and that was a decade ago, and he has lived healthy and cleanly. I think it's more about not wanting to be in bad shape by the time he retires, so he doesn't have to be constantly in pain in his retirement, like Stone Cold or someone (who's still needing surgeries years after retiring).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It wouldn't surprise me if Punk was gone in the next two-three years.

He seems quite happy to go around kissing babies and hugging fat girls and cashing in those cheques.

Punk should go until WM30 and then go on commentary.

Let him have one more mania as a main event guy then spend a year winding him down and jobbing him to select talent.

Then again I would be ok if he retired tonight if it meant getting ether King or Cole off the commentary table.

strobogo

Banned
I know that Joe hates his life and his career choices, but he's got to get a hold of his weight. He looks unhealthy fat now. Just sloppy looking. Not big Samoan dude who will fuck you up, but a dude who got married and gave up on life. Except his job is to be on TV with little clothing and engage in some kind of athletic competition/entertainment. They should send him to OVW like WWE did with Big Show in 2000. He went went from WWF Champion and in the main event of Wrestlemania to OVW within 6 months. If he can get that kind of demotion and get his shit together, Joe has no excuse.

Top Bottom