• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

I'm making the September thread......it will have a King of Trios theme, but keep the WWE dominated theme of recent topics.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs The World

KOT12_15.jpg

This will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I can't wait.

I predict that you will be so mesmerized by SummerSlam or one of the Raws that follows, that you will completely scrap your current thread idea and just wing it an hour before September, running on nothing but pure WWE ruthless aggression.

Kyoufu

-CM Punk talked about a new design for the WWE Championship title. I think he said it's coming soon and it will be something he helped create. He teased that it could happen at SummerSlam or maybe at the next Pay-Per-View after SummerSlam which is in Boston, John Cena's hometown.

guys

guys

I came

needs to happen on RAW though.

Striker

-Someone asked Punk if he still feels the same way about the things he said in his original Pipe Bomb promo a year ago. Punk said it's different now because he is a lot less pissed off than he was back then.
Changes a lot.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
HighSpots have a 40% off sale on ALL their multi-disc sets - check it out;

http://www.highspots.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Multi-Disc-Sets

Good god, there's some awesome stuff on there. I highly recommend;

. The History of Misawa vs Jumbo Tsuruta - Volumes 1 & 2
. The Funks in Japan
. Kenta Kobashi - Burning Spirit
. Miracle Violence Connection - Doctor Death & Terry Gordy
. The Steiner Brothers in Japan

Tempted by the best of CM Punk in IWA-MS sets, as I'm haven't got much in the way of IWA-MS in my collection.

Just burned $150. Like a fuckin idiot. Thanks Boots.

Titles and domain name ideas for a wrestling blog, anyone? I'm not having much inspiration so far...

burninghammer
cheapheat
faceinperil
hopespot
slobberknocker
prowrestlingspirit

heartpunch
doubleaxehandle

Aiii

So not worth it
I've enjoyed last weeks Raw and the two before that. So screw your negativity WrassleGAF, I'm gonna enjoy this!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Steve Blackman has always been horrible. Always and forever.

So I ordered Vader in Japan, best of Jumbo Tsuruta, and a handful of others. weh

I feel sorry for Shamrock, he's clearly overshadowed by the legend that is Steve Blackman and his glorious entrance theme.

edit: why Sunflower? how could you say such a thing?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel sorry for Shamrock, he's clearly overshadowed by the legend that is Steve Blackman and his glorious entrance theme.

edit: why Sunflower? how could you say such a thing?

Sorry man. Head Cheese blew, Blackman himself was always jobbed out like a chump...there was nothing to enjoy about Steebo Buurackoman.

Shamrock on the other hand took the juice and ran with it.

Kaladin

For the Lucha fans......

TALES OF MASKED MEN TO OPEN NEW SEASON OF “VOCES” ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2012 ON PBS

Director Carlos Avila Goes Behind the Mask to Reveal the Mysterious and Colorful World of Lucha Libre

“For the Italians there’s opera, for Mexicans it’s lucha libre.” – Lucha Libre fan

(Los Angeles, CA) — Tales of Masked Men, a new documentary about the colorful, fascinating and mysterious world of lucha libre — Mexican wrestling — will be the season opener for VOCES, Latino Public Broadcasting’s arts and culture series on PBS. Shot in Mexico and the United States and filled with the passion and excitement that defines its subject, the film explores the history of lucha libre and what has made this eighty-year-old phenomenon endure. Directed by Carlos Avila, Tales of Masked Men premieres on VOCES on Friday, September 28, 2012 from 10:00–11:00 p.m. ET on PBS (check local listings) in conjunction with Hispanic Heritage Month.

Described by cultural anthropologist Heather Levi as “a sport in the key of melodrama,” lucha libre springs from the same root as American professional wrestling (i.e. Olympic and Greco-Roman style competitive wrestling), but has taken on the unique characteristics of Mexico and the country’s long-standing fascination with masks. Masks conceal faces but not feelings, allowing luchadors to transform themselves into either the character of a rudo, the rule-breaking villain, or a técnico, the fair and square, technically-proficient hero. Practiced in large and small arenas throughout Mexico and the U.S. as well as other countries, this “working class” sport is truly interactive, with multigenerational fans passionately involved in the high drama of the ring.

Tales of Masked Men introduces three wrestlers, each of whom embodies different aspects of the sport and its traditions. The most revered and famous masked Mexican wrestler of all time is El Santo, once a journeyman wrestler who struggled to find a place in the lucha libre world. El Santo rose to prominence in the ring, eventually becoming an international film and television star whose persona and humanity deeply resonated with Mexicans. Originally a rudo, El Santo ultimately transformed into an icon signifying the triumph of good over evil, a national hero in Mexico whose presence is still felt today.

Standing just 4’ 5” tall, Mascarita Sagrada is one of the most dynamic and acrobatic wrestlers working in lucha libre today. The film examines the evolution of this personcita (little person) from his early life as the sheltered child of protective parents to becoming a masked wrestler. We hear the stories of how other mini-luchadores helped Mascarita develop into the wrestling great he is today.

Finally, we meet the classic wrestler Solar. Solar is in his fourth decade as a luchador and continues to wrestle throughout the world, regularly travelling to Japan, England, the United States and other parts of Europe. Rising out of a childhood of rural poverty, Solar found an identity and a livelihood in lucha libre. Sensing that the end of his career is near, Solar trains and prepares his son, Solar Jr., to step into the ring. Ultimately he may pass the Solar persona and mask on to his son, a lucha libre tradition that ensures immortality for the character.

Featuring interviews with cultural commentators, wrestlers, and observers of the sport as well as archival footage and clips from the “masked wrestler” adventure films, Tales of Masked Men is the vibrant story of how lucha libre has taken root in Mexican and Latino culture and become an integral part of its very identify.

Tales of Masked Men is available on DVD from PBS Distribution at pbs.org/shop. The film was funded by Latino Public Broadcasting and ITVS.

Top Bottom