• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

"It should be noted that HHH has never been that high on women's wrestling. Some who have worked with him and talked the subject with him believe when he gets more power you’ll see more of an emphasis on tag teams and women will be even more on the back burner."

"HHH is pushing to get McGillicutty repackaged. He’s still high on both he and McIntyre as far as long-term potential."

"Laurinaitis has been told that he will be returning to television soon as some sort of an Executive Vice President character."

1) noooooooooooo

2) im ok with that just dont call him mr perfect jr or something

3) YES YES YES

Entropia

No One Remembers
Couple of notes from the observer about WWE;

"It should be noted that HHH has never been that high on women's wrestling. Some who have worked with him and talked the subject with him believe when he gets more power you’ll see more of an emphasis on tag teams and women will be even more on the back burner."

Lame about women's wrestling. Awesome about tag teams.

"HHH is pushing to get McGillicutty repackaged. He’s still high on both he and McIntyre as far as long-term potential."

McIntyre - cool. McGillicutty - eh.

"Laurinaitis has been told that he will be returning to television soon as some sort of an Executive Vice President character."

Cool, Johnny was a good on-screen character. But WWE needs to stick to these fired stips more lol

Just FEED. ME. MORE. KAITLYN

tumblr_lnbd12ZJ311qlmp03o1_500.jpg

n66ia.gif

still hungry ply

Just google 'Celeste Bonin' and be done with it.

I think the Rock & Roll Express vs Midnight Express is one of the first examples of a feud where I was rooting for the heels. Fuck the Rock & Roll Express.

"Michael Hayes? He's so stupid, he stayed up all night studying for a urine test!" - lol, can't beat Jim Cornette.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just google 'Celeste Bonin' and be done with it.

So, Booty Man...

S4011.jpg

I got two questions.

1: Can you name and elaborate on 5 of your faaavorite female wrestlers of all time?

2: Can you name one current WWE Diva that you really enjoy?

For me, my all-time favorite from any era would be Madusa. I dunno why, she just is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That can actually wrestle?

Depends on your criteria in what makes a good female wrestler. If you're only concerned about looks, then I won't expect women who CAN'T wrestle for shit.

Lucky me, Madusa had it all!

Entropia

No One Remembers
So, Booty Man...

S4011.jpg

I got two questions.

1: Can you name and elaborate on 5 of your faaavorite female wrestlers of all time?

For me, my all-time favorite from any era would be Madusa. I dunno why, she just is.

First Question:
1. Molly Holly - far and away my favorite. I loved her home grown, girl-next door vibe she gave off.
2. Sable - Back in the attitude era she was like the girl all the boys fapped to.
3. Beth Phoenix - It's a shame that she doesn't get as much recognition as she deserves. She's a very competent wrestler and portrays what a woman's wrestler should be - strong, independent, and (let's face it) attractive.
4. Natalya - Same as Beth Phoenix, but a bit of the other end of the spectrum. She has very similar traits, but she's a good mat/technician woman's wrestler. Where Beth would be the brawn, Natalya is the brain. Shame she got got that stupid farting gimmick.
5. Lita - I don't know, but I think it's because she was more of a high flyer than most other women's wrestlers. She took bumps (see Austin/HHH chair shots).

Second Question:
2. Beth Phoenix or Natalya, listed above.

Novid

Banned
Look at it from HHH perspective - i have too many dudes from the roster, who loses a spot everytime a female match comes on. I got an offer from saban which no one else has given to me (for obvious reasons) etc. TNA's division is sort in a cross roads... And im a old NWA mark... it makes perfect sense to save the Tag Team division.

RBH

Raw segment-by-segment breakdown:

The show was hurt by strong cable competition, as it was only 6th for the night, including the first Monday night football game of the season (4.07 rating; 5.37 million viewers for Dallas Cowboys vs. Oakland Raiders). Usually preseason football doesn’t hurt Raw, as Raw traditionally does big August numbers and drops 10% or so in September against the regular season games. But preseason games also usually don’t beat Raw as this one did. The final episode of The Closer on TNT did a 6.8 rating and the debut of Major Crimes on TNT did a 5.5 rating, which are likely to be the two highest rated shows of the week on cable. There was nothing big on network programming. The debut of “Stars Earn Stripes,” a reality show promoted heavily on the Olympics, with Eve Torres, did a 3.05 rating and 5.24 million viewers, which is up from what NBC had been averaging (a 2.4) in that time slot this summer before the Olympics.

It was the lowest rated Raw since the 5/28 show did a 2.72 rating and 3.91 million viewers, which got killed by the Hatfield & McCoy mini-series and the Celtics vs. Heat NBA playoff game. The rule of thumb is not to overreact to one weeks rating, particularly when ratings were good the past few weeks. The three hours were 2.68, 2.89 and 2.98. Teenage boys did a 3.1 (up 11%), Males 18-49 did a 2.6 (up 4%), Teenage girls did a 1.5 (up 7%) and Women 18-49 did a 1.0 (down 9%). The skew was 70.1% male which means they were significantly down with women overall.

In the segment-by-segment, the promotion online and through social media that they were opening with C.M. Punk vs. Big Show led to a 2.60 quarter, the lowest quarter for a Raw episode in months. Ryback vs. JTG gained 63,000 viewers. R-Truth vs. Heath Slater gained 186,000 viewers. Sin Cara vs. Tensai lost 105,000 viewers. The Piper’s Pit segment with Chris Jericho, Dolph Ziggler and The Miz gained 516,000 viewers for the 9 p.m. start. You’d think by four weeks that wouldn’t happen, but it’s been ten weeks for TNA and it still happens. Jericho vs. Ziggler vs. Miz in a three-way lost 96,000 viewers. Backstage stuff with Shawn Michaels, John Cena and Punk lost 374,000 viewers. Eve Torres & Beth Phoenix vs. Kaitlyn & Layla gained 45,000 viewers. Cena & Punk vs. Show & Daniel Bryan gained 247,000 viewers to a 2.94 quarter at 10 p.m. Still not good for that time slot even with Cena. Christian vs. Damien Sandow lost 121,000 viewers. The contract signing with Brock Lesnar, HHH, Heyman and Michaels gained 431,000 viewers. The parking lot car accident and lights attack lost 394,000 viewers. And the in-ring angle where Lesnar “broke Michaels’ arm” gained 817,000 viewers to a 3.44 overrun.

jmdajr

I'll try to make a quick list...

1)Lita-I honestly can't remember any high flyers before her. I was a big fan of her teaming with the Hardyz, and then Edge. Indeed, she took some bumps! Tough chick.
2)Trish-From Blonde hot bimbo to competent wrestler. I was very impressed with the transition. Never thought she'd go that far. Respect.
3)Mickie James-Liked the psycho character and obviously has skills in the ring. Still does good work in TNA/
4)Molly Holly-I think I appreciate her more now than I did back then. Lots of talent in the ring, good spunky character, and never had to get overly sexualized to get over.
5)Maryse-For being one of the hottest looking Divas along with Stacy and Torrie, she sure has WAY more in ring skillz than them. Same goes of the acting chops. Perfect bitch.

Razorskin

----- ------
You know another cool fact about Kurt Angle?

HE MADE CENA TAP
1344801861097g5qy4.gif

There are only 3 guys who have done it, and they are in my fave 5:
Kurt Angle
Chris Jericho
----- ------

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
5)Maryse-For being one of the hottest looking Divas along with Stacy and Torrie, she sure has WAY more in ring skillsz than them. Same goes of the acting chops. Perfect bitch.

As much shit as I used to give Maurice she was a really good heel. Character-wise.

I got two questions.

Hmmm, tough one - this list will be pretty Japanese-centric, so I'd better split it into all-time and modern;

All Time;

1. Manami Toyota - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yXycF5s9M
2. Aja Kong - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvXrmKRGK7U
3. Kyoko Inoue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCO_ef9etWU
4. Dynamite Kansai - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PYVv243qYQ
5. Jaguar Yokota - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TviZ5_V80mk

Honourable mentions; Mayumi Ozaki, Toshio Yamada & Molly Holly

Funnily enough, every wrestler there (except Kansai) is from the legendary AJW promotion - it's no joke when people say that AJW was one of the best wrestling promotions of the early 90's, so much quality wrestling it continues to put every other era of women's wrestling to shame. Here's a good AJW MV; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmCEN6MCjpM - first place on my list could go to none other than Manami Toyota, she was part of the young generation that really invigorated 90's AJW and went on to become the greatest star of Joshi wrestling and an amazingly accomplished wrestler, with a host of top matches to her name. Second, her great rival Aja Kong, different to Toyota in every conceivable way, Aja makes up for her lack of speed with some brutal strikes and slams and a fantastic knack for in-ring storytelling that helped make her such a star. Thirdly, Kyoko Inoue, who despite debuting around the same time as Toyota, had a much more protracted path to the top. For whatever reason, she wasn't perceived as being destined for stardom in the same way as Toyota, but her athletic and versatile wrestling style, that often took cues from lucha libre, and her innate charisma soon made her a firm fan favourite. Next, Dynamite Kansai, a true powerhouse of women's wrestling who was turned down by AJW, instead making her name as one of the toughest wrestlers in Japan at their rival JWP. Her hard-hitting, technically proficient styles made her a difficult opponent to beat, and also made her JWP's go to lady for inter-promotional matches. Finally, Jaguar Yokota has been THE legend of Joshi wrestling for as long as I've been watching. Regarded as one of the best wrestlers of the early 80's, her popularity was unrivalled, but although injury cut short her career, as head trainer of AJW she was responsible for training many of the women mentioned above.

Modern;

1. Sara Del Rey - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vhK9pmPtk8
2. Kana - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TVUncuqiYc
3. Cheerleader Melissa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsCLaTBvp-s
4. Ayumi Kurihara - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-hTBGlJrLA
5. Hailey Hatred - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2pH8IjUJzc

Right, first up Sara Del Rey is pretty much unparalleled in wrestling ability, she's been on top for so many years now, it's near impossible to consider anyone else. Secondly, Kana is one of the toughest, most brutal wrestlers anywhere in the world. Her wrestling takes lots of influence from Japanese strongstyle, and it shows in her precision strikes and submissions. Cheerleader Melissa is someone who undoubtedly has all the tool as well as the looks. Why she isn't employed by the WWE is beyond me, as she's been ready for years now. Next, Ayumi Kurihara is one of the most impressive Joshi wrestlers today. Her style mixes shootstyle strikes and submissions with exciting lucha-libre influences, and it's no surprise to see her star rise. Finally, Hailey Hatred has been around for a while now and has always had a lot of evident wrestling talent, but it's only in the past couple of years that all the pieces have come together and she's established herself as not only a top talent in the US, but in Japan as well.

Sunflower said:

I enjoy watching Layla work, I think she's pretty underrated (but you can't blame anyone for that, considering how badly WWE treats women's wrestling) - AJ isn't half-bad either. We all know Natalya & Beth can be awesome, but are rarely given the chance to be. And finally, Paige in developmental is an excellent talent who I enjoyed watching in SHIMMER and who has a technical side to her wrestling not much evident in the other Divas.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Bootaaay. Time to get to watchin - I always appreciate your posts and the care you take and put into them.

Ithil

Apparently Davey Richards was meant to partner Zack Sabre Jr. for Pro-Wrestling NOAH's upcoming Jr. Heavyweight Tag Tournamet, but decided against working for NOAH - Richards was one half of New Japan's Jr. Heavyweight tag champs, but was stripped of the title when he claimed a car accident prevented him from flying over for the tour before last. NOAH had apparently intended for Richards & Sabre Jr. to win the tag title tournament and had planned to book Richards as the top American talent in NOAH, instead Paul London will be Zack's partner. It's doubtful that NOAH will follow through with the same plans for Paul, which is a shame for Zack as he's performed brilliantly on his last two tours and has started to win over the Japanese crowd with his British-wrestling style in great matches with the likes of Atsushi Kotoge and Atsushi Aoki, but it's strange that Richards would turn down such a big opportunity in NOAH, even if it would affect his availability for ROH in September.

Speaking of Ring of Honor, their iPPV last weekend did just 650 buys, well down from their peak of 2,300. However, this was essentially a B-show given the less-than-stellar line-up on paper, the relatively short build and the technical issues still fresh in fans minds from two iPPVs ago. But, while iPPV sales were down, many fans hoping to buy tickets at the door found the show unexpectedly sold out, which is a good success for ROH in a market they've been working hard to build. The iPPV itself went off without a hitch and the quality of the stream was excellent throughout, so hopefully it will go some way to restoring faith for ROH's next iPPV Death Before Dishonor X on September 15th in Chicago Ridge.

New Japan's first iPPV via U-Stream was huge success in Japan, despite only being promoted less than a week prior. Although this one was only for Japanese residents, the company are working on making the next iPPV (likely Wrestle Kingdom VII in January) available worldwide.

The number of gaijin talents on the upcoming September tour are a good indication that the company, now under new ownership, is doing better financially. The full list of foreign talent is; Alex Shelly, Karl Anderson, Low Ki, Harry Smith, Averno, Mascara Dorada, Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov. Much like with Mistico, Averno is being brought back to make Mascara Dorada look as good as possible, while Harry Smith will join Suzuki-gun as Lance Archer's (Lace Hoyt) tag partner, after Taichi leaves for an extended tour of Mexico.

New Japan president Takaaki Kidani has made an offer to get Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu, who won Japan’s only men’s wrestling gold medal at the Olympics, in the 145 pound weight class. The idea would be to book him as a masked hero for the kids.

Couple of notes from the observer about WWE;

"While the shows in Japan were viewed positively, there were complaints regarding the advertising. The main events were what was advertised, but even though all the talent advertised appeared, most of the matches were different. Unlike in the U.S., where that’s expected, in Japan it’s a real big deal that you never false advertise. They had advertised a Mysterio vs. Bryan match which a lot of people looked forward to, and just changed the show."

NXT - 08/15/12;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9d3h5HGDQA

I have no idea what the hell Leo Kruger is going for with his new gimmick.

jmdajr

HHH not high on women's wrestling? Who really knows. But he sure seems to enjoy his skits with Trish!

edit: I just noticed the Jimmy Johnons logo light up on Brock......

LOL.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The best part is the kanji-styled JJ in the background. It's so good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So Aja Kong is incredible. Thanks Bootaaay. Continuing on my education journey! Aja Kong is so cool.

G-Fex

Well guys it's payday so I finally did it

I ORDERED THE TNA BROWN BAG SPECIAL

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I hope I get a sting shirt

or a Jeff Hardy shirt

Ooh and maybe a Tessmacher banner

and like maybe Abyss DVD's or Sting DVD's or something cool

I'm SO HYPED!

I hope I get a cool action figure!

Sokantish

Well guys it's payday so I finally did it