• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

HHH will come out on Raw and cut a tearful promo about how he failed THIS BUSINESS and that he couldn't BE A MAN!
That he has let his family down and will finish his speech in memorable fashion by saying that the game....is over.
*manly tears*

And then he spends 10 minutes performing his taunt gesture to try and milk the fans for cheers.

Aiii

So not worth it
If you're a true blood-and-sinew kind of fighting fan, chances are you abandoned the WWE for UFC long ago. One of them is real, after all. But still: Millions of viewers in 145 countries and 30 different languages continue to tune in every week to watch men in shiny loin clothes throw each other around for a while. And it is, to be sure, a man's world, except for one WWE Diva — as female fighters are affectionately called — who bosses them all around. Her name is AJ Lee and she is the General Manager of WWE’s Monday Night Raw and you would not mistake her for someone from the Amazon. Over the past year, she's positioned herself firmly in the "geek-goddess" realm but still managed to reinforce WWE's place in the entertainment landscape by calling it out for what it is: silly fun. The Culture Blog caught up with Lee at this weekend's SummerSlam, where she made her ex-boyfriends Daniel Bryan and Kane face off — and where she defended the future of her uh, sport.

ESQUIRE.COM: So, during the height of the economic collapse, you did the most logical thing by dropping out of school to become a professional wrestler.

AJ LEE: I actually went to NYU for six months, had some family issues that kind of set me back, and I couldn't afford to go anymore. That was the theme going on in my whole life, you know: money stopping me from whatever I wanted to do. My dream my entire life was to be a wrestler, so that was my moment where I was like, Okay, let's do it now. I went to wrestling school and found a full-time job to support it.

ESQ: For the Speedos.

AJL: A lot of Speedos! You know, I was really close with my brother. I was a tomboy and kind of into anything he was into. By default, I started watching wrestling and fell in love with it. There's just something about being a superhero, being a kickass girl, and having that strength. It was something I didn't have in real life and I wanted to harness that. At 12-years-old, I knew that's what I wanted to do. I told people, but no one believed me. It never left my head. It was really the only thing I wanted.

ESQ: WWE's storylines and flying bodies have always been a little... over the top. But you actually have to train to be that crazy, right?

AJL: A lot of people get scouted and get brought in, but I paid to try out. I did this camp that 80 people go to, and I paid a lot of money. I just scraped together for a year, saved, and got to try out there. I had been wrestling for two and a half years — I was a train wreck. I just looked terrible. I didn't know what I was doing, but they can just kind of see the potential in you.

ESQ: FCW, that Florida Championship Wrestling development training, must have been a shock to the system.

AJL: I had never lifted a weight in my life. I was thin and didn't realize how small I was — I was like 96 pounds when I got signed. You don't want to be 96 pounds. It's not attractive. I didn't know how to do my hair and makeup. I was such a tomboy. The fact that they can see through that and say, We're going to teach you — that helped me learn. I learned how to work out. I gained 10 pounds of muscle within a year.

ESQ: You know, a lot of people still think of WWE Divas as being these giants like Chyna. What happened to her? Even today, you have people like this Kelly Kelly, who's just like a little Swarovski crystal. But you're more like a Comic-Con Diva.

AJL: The funny thing is that other people can see certain strengths as flaws. I heard a million times to clean up, but not be too much of a tomboy. I heard, This is what you have to convert to, this is the formula. I heard, People want to hang out with you but it might not get you where you need to go — they won't put your poster on the wall. And you know, it's wrong. There was something in me where I knew that people wanted someone that they could relate to. I was able to show that I was goofy and dorky, and right away, people embraced that. The company noticed and they were like, Let's just go with that.

ESQ: And it made you the general manager of Raw. I'm not even actually sure what that title means.

AJL: I'm the boss! I run our flagship program, and it's a huge weight to carry. It's hilarious that the tiniest person has the most power. It came completely out of left field. I had no idea that they were looking for a general manager for a really long time. They felt that it would be really surprising and unpredictable. So, you know, I book matches. I'm the boss of all the guys. It's fun because a lot of them have wronged me.

ESQ: Do you ever fear that UFC is encroaching upon your audience who want something that's "real?"

AJL: Even if you watch UFC, people like the bigger characters and the people you can get behind. What's important for our company is what's important for us as individuals. You get emotionally involved. It's not just two guys going out there and beating each other up.
Follow The Culture Blog on RSS and on Twitter at @ESQCulture.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/aj-lee-wwe-summerslam-11877701#ixzz2472i0RTq

Kaladin

So yeah....I just won Gabe Sapolsky's original EC F'N W shirt seen here:

http://www.dgusa.tv/gabe/ecfnw.html

P1020638.jpg

It's awesome to have both a piece of the original ECW and something from my favorite booker. Those original ECW shirts are hard to come by too, at least where you know they're original.

It's too bad I couldn't get his NOAH track jacket. Last I heard it was up to $300.

Kaladin

P1020638.jpg

It's awesome to have both a piece of the original ECW and something from my favorite booker. Those original ECW shirts are hard to come by too, at least where you know they're original.

It's too bad I couldn't get his NOAH track jacket. Last I heard it was up to $300.

The Noah track jacket given to Gabe by Misawa went for $400.

jmdajr

HHH will come out on Raw and cut a tearful promo about how he failed THIS BUSINESS and that he couldn't BE A MAN!
That he has let his family down and will finish his speech in memorable fashion by saying that the game....is over.
*manly tears*

And then he spends 10 minutes performing his taunt gesture to try and milk the fans for cheers.

Damn man, don't tease me like that. Might need a few few bro hugs after this.

Anyone else still trying to get over the disbelief that HHH actually lost a match, and TAPPED OUT, no less?

I can't wrap my head around it.

He's tapped out to Benoit, Taker & Cena in the past, not that surprising that he did it for a guy the wwf have paid a lot of moolah for.

I'd have been surprised if this was still the mcmahon-hemsley era.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, true story: I spend the whole time from when Cena locked in the STF with Punk until after both Cena and Punk kicked out from the chokeslam yelling NO! FUCK OFF! FUCK OFF! NO! NO! FUCK YOU!

I'm serious, I've never been more afraid of a screwball ending. For a second there I legit believed they were putting the title on Show.

So, true story: I spend the whole time from when Cena locked in the STF with Punk until after both Cena and Punk kicked out from the chokeslam yelling NO! FUCK OFF! FUCK OFF! NO! NO! FUCK YOU!

I'm serious, I've never been more afraid of a screwball ending. For a second there I legit believed they were putting the title on Show.

not enough cynicism

that's a good thing, you enjoy it more

Kaladin

I doubt they will make that mistake again. Show is only there for Cena fodder now.

First talent announced for the SHIMMER - Volumes #49 ~ #52 tapings on October 27th & 28th;

. SHIMMER Champion 'Sweet' Saraya Knight
. SHIMMER Tag Team Champions The Canadian NINJAS (Portia Perez & Nicole Matthews)
. Former SHIMMER Champion Cheerleader Melissa
. Allysin Kay making her SHIMMER debut.

Also, the first name has been announced for the 2012 ROH Survival of the Fittest tournament on September 22nd;

. ROH TV Champion Adam Cole

Kaladin

There was nothing bad on Summerslam, but there was also nothing great either. I honestly can't recommend watching anything if you missed it live because anything you would have wanted to see will be recapped on Raw or Smackdown or continued on the next PPV anyway.

jmdajr

So far Summerslam 2008 has yet to be topped. Loved Edge and Taker in Hell in a Cell.
Plus I'm sure people loved Batista beating Cena. He broke his freaking neck!

and look at this poster!

28912_PPV_Affiliate-Banner-300x450.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't expect much of a response mainly because it's such a hard question, but...

Which wrestling family was more important over the history of wrestling? The Hart Family or the Von Erichs? It really is a tough question, and there really may be no answer, not definitively. Both made huge inroads when it came to talent... while the Harts had technicians and more of a mental game, the Von Erichs had unbelievable charisma and physiques, truly athletically gifted.

Your thoughts?

Kaladin

I don't expect much of a response mainly because it's such a hard question, but...

Which wrestling family was more important over the history of wrestling? The Hart Family or the Von Erichs? It really is a tough question, and there really may be no answer, not definitively. Both made huge inroads when it came to talent... while the Harts had technicians and more of a mental game, the Von Erichs had unbelievable charisma and physiques, truly athletically gifted.

Your thoughts?

Over the long run, I think it will be The Hart Family.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Your thoughts?
The McMahon-Levesque family.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

P1020638.jpg

Nice get!

jmdajr

Your thoughts?

For me the Harts. I really didn't know diddly about the Von Erichs until I watched the history of
WCCW. And I'm from Texas! But I was always a WWF guy. I did watch NWA/WCW as well, but the Von Erichs were not on there either.

Your thoughts?

I want to say The Harts, due to the legacy Stampede wrestling left upon the Canadian wrestling scene and the huge successes of Bret and Owen. The Von Erichs were immensely popular for a good long while, but, as was pointed out to me the last time they were brought up in discussion here, their lasting fame hasn't really spread all that much further than Texas.

Kaladin

I want to say The Harts, due to the legacy Stampede wrestling left upon the Canadian wrestling scene and the huge successes of Bret and Owen. The Von Erichs were immensely popular for a good long while, but, as was pointed out to me the last time they were brought up in discussion here, their lasting fame hasn't really spread all that much further than Texas.

Of course, that will change if any Von Erichs make it big in the WWE or TNA, but I don't see that happening.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I will say I wish the Von Erichs had been alive much longer, I think so many unfortunate deaths really stopped things from getting as big as they deserved.

Of course, that will change if any Von Erichs make it big in the WWE or TNA, but I don't see that happening.

It's too early to say at this point whether Marshall & Ross make it big - their debut match in NOAH was really good, but that was largely to do with TMDK (who are seriously improving by leaps and bounds, and who I'm expecting to get a big push in NOAH) and both young Von Erichs did look rather green. Still, a few tours of NOAH will do them a world of good.

Kaladin

It's too early to say at this point whether Marshall & Ross make it big - their debut match in NOAH was really good, but that was largely to do with TMDK (who are seriously improving by leaps and bounds, and who I'm expecting to get a big push in NOAH) and both young Von Erichs did look rather green. Still, a few tours of NOAH will do them a world of good.

I don't know, WWE doesn't really pay much attention to NOAH these days. They would have to have a run with Dragon Gate or ROH to even appear on their radar. TNA is another story because they seem to pull their gut check people out of everywhere.

DMczaf

HBK TO SPEAK ON BROCK VS. TRIPLE H

With tweets from Shawn Michaels indicating that a satellite truck will be at his house tonight for Raw (8/7 CT), it's clear that HBK will offer his exclusive reactions to his best friend Triple H's earth-shattering showdown against Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam.

HBK via satellite?

What if Brock is there?

jW9tn3Lgyxvm3.jpg

iCzVCWtghQSut.gif

I don't know, WWE doesn't really pay much attention to NOAH these days. They would have to have a run with Dragon Gate or ROH to even appear on their radar. TNA is another story because they seem to pull their gut check people out of everywhere.

I just meant that wrestling for NOAH is bound to help them improve in general, they're more likely to get notice from WWE via Harley Race's WLW promotion, which actually holds try-out camps in conjunction with NOAH and WWE. That's where they signed Michael McGillibuddy from, iirc.

Top Bottom