• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Doesn't it feel like it's been a really long time since the last Raw? Maybe it's just me getting this feeling but I'm like in withdrawal. Raw feels like it last aired over a week ago but it's only been a few days, not even. This new 3 hour Raw is having some weird effects on me. I hope I can adjust to it.

Yes Heavy I agree 150%. RAW for me is a Religion and Triple H is the Pope!

Two Three things:
1. MAHS is totally amazing and I haven't even seen him fight yet.
2. He needs a sash.
3. I wore my Ultramantis Black shirt grocery shopping yesterday and received yet another compliment on it.

1. I like how you said fight and not wrestle. MAHS is rough and tough!
2. I know right
3. I have never not gotten a compliment while wearing an Ultra Mantis Black shirt.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
wat

What are Asian indies like outside of Japan? I have a general idea of what the European and Australian scenes are like through internet osmosis, but I'v never heard much about Asian wrasslin'

India is still very much a haphazard and almost what I would call affiliated hobby promotions, but they are building up thanks to recent pushes from TNA with RKK and the training school they set up. Give it a decade, it won't be the new Mexico, but it's be like some of the African nations in terms of stability (for wrestling promotions and shows that is).

South Korea has a thriving independents scene even with their national promotions dead or dying . Following mostly the "Pure wrestling" style with WWE character design, they have a lot of standard matches you are used to. It's hard finding videos of it though unless women from Japanese promotions come over, I'm not sure why.

China it doesn't even really exist. While it's building up for viewers thanks to recent big shows from AJPW and the like doing events or WWE coming over, there is no group of professional wrestlers in the style we are talking about and most doing it for fun like U.S.'s backyard wrestlers or as a street performers using various other martial arts using characters from folk tales or their own invention.
There are entertainment fights for exhibition for their form of wrestling (摔跤), practice for actual competition and score based, something which doesn't actually transfer well to the NWA/WWE/TNA or Puroresu or Catch wrestling styles and definitely not any of the Central or Southern American styles.

Exception to China's standard is Hong Kong. Take old style U.K. wrestling, WCW style dancing, and sometimes what you see in Chikara these days and you have their wrestling. They still love wrestling and invite anyone they can from other countries, but it's all quite cheap and not all that well put together, but it's enjoyable all the same. Every time my I had shore leave in Hong Kong I found a show and it was amusing in the same way early ROH was, but taken even less seriously without becoming a comedy show. Decent wrestlers, decent care of putting on a good show in the matches, enough you can forget the flaws.

For Taiwan independents are small promotions, but they do exist thanks to the huge influx of promotions across the world (Japan and Philippines being the two big visitors) and interest in it. Most of the groups are those working out and putting on minor shows in malls and what not, hoping to get good enough to be trained by AJPW or WWE or what have you. I'm hoping that some big promotion decides to take a risk on the island and sets up a wrestling school because they need it and could be a great source of talent in the future.

There is a lot of wrestling in the Philippines and Singapore, especially Manila, and all that you can look up on your own. A lot of international wrestlers, mostly North American, go over and work and do single events to draw in the crowds, but they have a good sized pool of people. You can easily find info and videos for them if you want to look.

Mongolia has their own breed of professional wrestling due to their long history of traditional wrestling and performing for crowds. No ring, it is a full sport/competition to get them on the ground for a count, and characters/themes/gimmicks and dances before and after the match. There are promotions, they tour, but it's closer to being an actual circus rather than just circus like.
It's never going to catch on anywhere else, but man it's worth seeing once every few years just for something different and unique.

Russian independents are standard European independents and promotions just in Russian. They have some interesting guys, but honestly I've never seen a Russian match that was all that interesting to me and and decent guys who wanted to make it all went to the U.K. or Germany or Spain eventually.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
ibsswWXs6vzM3U.jpg

Nice hype video for the 2012 PWG Battle of Los Angeles tournament on September 1st & 2nd in Reseda, CA;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP9kbRifZUo

Also, the first 3 matches have been announced for SHINE 2 on August 17th in Ybor City, FL;

• Jazz vs Mercedes Martinez
  • Santana Garrett vs Rain
  • MsEerie (MsChif & Christina von Eerie) vs Made in Sin (Taylor Made & Allysin Kay)

Plus, the line-up and first match announced for Tommy Dreamer's House of Hardcore promotion, which makes it's debut on October 6th in Poughkeepsie, NY;

ij8n7dMM9CYzh.jpg

Also signed to appear;

• Carlos Colon Jr.
  • Eddie Kingston
  • The Steiner Brothers
  • Jazz
  • Shawn Daivari
  • Rhino
  • Sami Callihan
  • Chris Masters
  • Luke Gallows
  • The Sandman
  • plus, WWE Hall of Famer Adam 'Edge' Copeland

Finally, after the incident last week in Iowa with Davey Richards, Kyle O'Reilly & Tony Kozina stealing money from a promoter, O'Reilly has blogged about the situation and since returned the money;

http://kfabe.wordpress.com/

Kaladin

Finally, after the incident last week in Iowa with Davey Richards, Kyle O'Reilly & Tony Kozina stealing money from a promoter, O'Reilly has blogged about the situation and since returned the money;

http://kfabe.wordpress.com/

I still gotta side with the promoter on that. They may have felt "disrespected", but that is no excuse to walk out on a job and take the promoter's money. They put the promoter in a bad spot to begin with by wanting to change their matches the day of the show. At least Kyle O'Reilly returned the money, but I still think less of Davey Richards for the whole thing.

somedevil

This Claire Lynch angle is so bad because AJ is acting like this doesn't matter or affecting his marriage. He just having a great time now at Australia and seems not to care about his marriage or this could be his child.

eldoon

This Claire Lynch angle is so bad because AJ is acting like this doesn't matter or affecting his marriage. He just having a great time now at Australia and seems not to care about his marriage or this could be his child.

Maybe he got thrown out of home ?

Top Bottom