• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

timrannosaurus

Neo Member
First post here! I've lurked in the various WrestleGAF threads throughout the years and figured it was time to contribute.

This Sunday I am attending my very first house show in Rochester Minnesota. It's Smackdown so I'm not expecting much really. How do live events differ from the tv shows that I've been to? Does anyone have any sign ideas I can steal?

This guy is doing a recap blog of all Monday Night Raw's. ALL. From the beginning. Who knows if he'll make it, but he's up to #7 and he only started last week:

http://art0donnell.blogspot.com/

He also keeps a running tally of the number of uncut, uncooked, and uncensoreds plus the number of times Vince says "maneuver".

Episode #2 Recap said:
The interference was "vintage Ric Flair," according to Vince McMahon, establishing a Raw tradition dutifully preserved to this day by Michael Cole. Nonetheless, Perfect picks up the win with the Perfectplex, which Vince misidentifies as a superplex, establishing another Raw tradition dutifully preserved to this day by Michael Cole.

First post here! I've lurked in the various WrestleGAF threads throughout the years and figured it was time to contribute.

This Sunday I am attending my very first house show in Rochester Minnesota. It's Smackdown so I'm not expecting much really. How do live events differ from the tv shows that I've been to? Does anyone have any sign ideas I can steal?

Hello there, while I can greet I can't really answer your question, I guess house shows are heavier on actual matches though.
Any real need for a sign on a house show?

Aiii

So not worth it
Watching Smackdown.

They now do a "Previously on..." segment at the start of the show like Impact does. In this case, about Sheamus being a heel at SummerSlam.

In related news, people should be cheering Del Rio.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Watching Smackdown.

They now do a "Previously on..." segment at the start of the show like Impact does. In this case, about Sheamus being a heel at SummerSlam.

In related news, people should be cheering Del Rio.

I can't think of a current heel that the crowd SHOULDN'T be cheering.

Aiii

So not worth it
why would I cheer Del Rio?

The guy makes a ton of sense. He gets bullied all the time. To the point where his -expensive- property gets trashed and destroyed and he gets cheated out of his wins by the other guy.

Seriously, why wouldn't you cheer him?

And no,
He speaks in evil foreign language... USA! USA! USA! doesn't count

strobogo

Banned
Jinder, Miz, and Albert are the only heels I can think of that really should get booed. Jinder because he sucks and his gimmick is "Indians and Arabs are the same thing", Miz because he still sucks and looks like even more of a goof trying to look tough, and Albert because he's been a total bust and waste of space since returning. He was a top ten guy from 2002-2004 at a time when the roster was much, much stronger. Then he was awesome in Japan. Then he returns and is terrible.

I can't even think of any faces that deserve to be cheered outside of Kofi, Tyson, and Yoshi. They're the only faces I can think of that aren't straight up dick heads and/or bullies. Maybe Sin Cara, but he's been terrible, too. I don't think there has ever been a time like this in WWE history. All the faces are clearly shit heads, and all the heels are in the right 90% of the time. Cats and dogs living together, man. It's like WWE entered an alternate universe while in Canada and the old one was destroyed. Crisis on Infinite WWE Universes. We are now in the one the F never existed, Randy Savage is a past character that people remember, but aren't sure if he was real, Chris Benoit and Owen Hart were erased completely, WCW was just an in universe comic book, Steve Austin has blurry fingers, continuity resets every 3 weeks, and John Cena is his own title belt.

I feel like this explains the constant and consistent turns of Big Show and Kane, why Cena is the main event even when not WWE Champion, and why all the faces are such dicks. CM Punk is genre savvy enough to know this, but can't change it because he's not CM Prime. No one can save this universe. It is doomed. Punk is fighting a lost cause. Welcome to Die.

VerTiGo

Banned
I don't know what to think about last nights impact. I feel as if tna has not been doing a good job with Aries title reign even after defeating roode for a second time. Last nights show had sting taking up too much tv time and being the face of the company when it should be the champion in that position. I hope an injury title doesn't make him lose the belt and that it's just a reason to keep the no surrender ppv about the bound for glory tournament. Not having your best worker main eventing the company's biggest ppv of the year would be criminal. It's like tna is intentionally trying to make you think Aries will drop the title but part of me thinks that's the whole swerve and Aries reign will continue.

Last night was different and the ending was refreshing. I like how the aces and 8s storyline has pretty much helped wipe out every other angle that wasn't working. It's like they just go with the flow and use it as a method of correcting things that didn't go as smoothly prior.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The guy makes a ton of sense. He gets bullied all the time. To the point where his -expensive- property gets trashed and destroyed and he gets cheated out of his wins by the other guy.

And no,

But, WWE has taught me that I am supposed to hate those that have wealth!!

No gimmicks, just me.

Spindashing couldn't catch a cold.

Spindashing's gotta go fast! In fact his waifu AJ tells me he's a bit TOO fast if you know what I mean.
Cheap Heat right there, I'm sure spin says otherwise
gPSlx.gif

KiNeSiS

Banned
Punk Is Junk!
Punk Is Junk!
Punk Is Junk!

C.M. Punk I challenge you to a Caribbean strap match!

P.S. when I put on raw it's unbearable I have to change the channel after less than 5 minutes. Society is @ an all time low.
It's a real creative brain drain. Modern music sucks, modern movies/tv suck, & modern wrestling really fucking sucks!
When I tune in to WWE I literally want to perform a death valley driver off of the highest bridge I can find, Careening into a bed of jagged rocks killing the head creative writer & myself.
It's that torturous. I am quite the masochist but this shit is too much even for a punishment sponge such as myself.

MC Safety

And no,

You never cheer for the rich guy, the foreigner, and the elitist. Alberto Del Rio is all three.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This guy is doing a recap blog of all Monday Night Raw's. ALL. From the beginning. Who knows if he'll make it, but he's up to #7 and he only started last week:

http://art0donnell.blogspot.com/

He also keeps a running tally of the number of uncut, uncooked, and uncensoreds plus the number of times Vince says "maneuver".

This is really awesome, thanks for sharing it - I enjoy well written blogs about older shows.

First, welcome goddammit welcome! Good to have a new wrasslegaffer. Live events will be more FUN and have more rasslin - dont bother with a sign unless there's a message you REALLY want to get across to a particular wrestler. Enjoy it! We don't get house shows where I am anymore (they only do Raw/SD here) and I'm kinda bummed because I want house shows, dammit.

Holy shit please tell me you're doing this on one of my days off?

Tuesday or Wednesday?

Anyway good news everyone I received my package from TNA, my brown bag special which I shall open later when I get home!

Also I'm totally getting 3rd strike online edition soon.

Brown baggin it. FoF is happening anytime on the weekend of the 1st and 2nd, it's the combatants' responsibility to make sure the match is done and the results or video footage have been PMed to me and KEPT SECRET (no dirtsheet leaks!) so I can stream the footage of the event, and then make it available on Youtube later.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Welcome!

House shows are all about wrestling.

There's no promos, backstage shenanigans, no Twitter/Touting BS, it's just match after match after match.

Aiii

So not worth it
Antonio Cesaro finally has a new theme song!

Some rap song, I'm guessing Swiss, but could be French, can't make it out.

Striker

Del Rio was a top ten guy in 2002?
He meant Tensai, but referred to him as Albert, his previous gimmick before leaving the first time.

I thought I read well before Sin Cara came in that they did want Del Rio to become a top face because of how well he's popular in Mexico and he brings that percentage over when on Smackdown. But with Sin Cara coming, they might have changed their minds.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
*Bro Fist*
Genichiro Tenryu One of the goats of wrestling. He is up there with Hansen, Brody, & Big Van Vader....

Yes he is. He's such a badass dude. Everything about him exudes badass.

Jinder, Miz, and Albert are the only heels I can think of that really should get booed. Jinder because he sucks and his gimmick is "Indians and Arabs are the same thing", Miz because he still sucks and looks like even more of a goof trying to look tough, and Albert because he's been a total bust and waste of space since returning. He was a top ten guy from 2002-2004 at a time when the roster was much, much stronger. Then he was awesome in Japan. Then he returns and is terrible.
Wrong on all counts about Jinder.

Kyoufu

He meant Tensai, but referred to him as Albert, his previous gimmick before leaving the first time.

I thought I read well before Sin Cara came in that they did want Del Rio to become a top face because of how well he's popular in Mexico and he brings that percentage over when on Smackdown. But with Sin Cara coming, they might have changed their minds.

Oh right. Misread that.

Del Rio needs to re-think his character. His opponents are bigger heels than he is. :/

Aiii

So not worth it
PTP are so much better off now that A.W. is gone. They're so much more entertaining now it's amazing.

Why they put A.W. with them in the first place is beyond me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. I love grumpy old Tenryu, just look at him absolutely murder KENTA;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxzRShqE30k

Christ, he really beat the piss out of him. Great stuff. THEN THE MUSIC HITS! So good.

Oh right. Misread that.

Del Rio needs to re-think his character. His opponents are bigger heels than he is. :/

WWE has always done a lot of "good guys actually act like heels" for instance - look at this really really good article about good guys acting like the bad guys here:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...ing-heroes-affinity-harboring-heel-tendencies

However there's a lot more of it lately in present-day WWE - part of it is due to lazy writing, part of it is a shitty society that doesn't really have the same connection with being a good person (thanks Austin, et al) and well, it happens. Good heels in America have always had LOGICAL arguments you couldn't take apart - the truth is hated. Look at Heenan/Monsoon - Heenan being the heel commentator, he would consistently make the most SENSE. Same with McMahon/Ventura. Ventura would lay it on THICK, too, I loved it.

G-Fex

Wonderful promo video Laserfrog, you are amazing.

I UNBOXED THE BROWN BAG SPECIAL AND IT'S AMAZINGLY GLORIOUS

WILL POST PICS SOON.

G-Fex

This is really awesome, thanks for sharing it - I enjoy well written blogs about older shows.

First, welcome goddammit welcome! Good to have a new wrasslegaffer. Live events will be more FUN and have more rasslin - dont bother with a sign unless there's a message you REALLY want to get across to a particular wrestler. Enjoy it! We don't get house shows where I am anymore (they only do Raw/SD here) and I'm kinda bummed because I want house shows, dammit.

Brown baggin it. FoF is happening anytime on the weekend of the 1st and 2nd, it's the combatants' responsibility to make sure the match is done and the results or video footage have been PMed to me and KEPT SECRET (no dirtsheet leaks!) so I can stream the footage of the event, and then make it available on Youtube later.

damnit then I'm going to have to request a day off. Just tell me what day then Sunflower you dig?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I was thinking, Sunflower...does it really matter when we play? There's so many people involved in FoF that it could present a challenge getting the participants together, what with everyone having different schedules and such. I mean...it only really matters when you stream it, right? Theoretically, we could just do the matches at our own leisure, as long as we get them sent to you by the 3rd, right? I think that would make things a lot easier for everyone involved.

Anyway, just a thought.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking, Sunflower...does it really matter when we play? There's so many people involved in FoF that it could present a challenge getting the participants together, what with everyone having different schedules and such. I mean...it only really matters when you stream it, right? Theoretically, we could just do the matches at our own leisure, as long as we get them sent to you by the 3rd, right? I think that would make things a lot easier for everyone involved.

Anyway, just a thought.

Yes. As long as it's done by the deadline, that'd be the best - 2nd Sept. Just let me know how it goes down!

Top Bottom